“Wedding at The Buccaneer”

The Buccaneer St Croix
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
New York City, New York
“Wedding at The Buccaneer”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I NEVER write reviews. NEVER. I feel obligated to let prospective brides (and grooms) know what am AMAZING place this was for my wedding. I had never been to St. Croix and picked it by process of elimination. From the first contact, 9 months before the wedding, Kim Hummers (wedding planner) was on top of everything. I live in NYC and have a high sense of urgency, which Kim exceeded. There was not ONE THING that I would have done differently. She organized everything from when we (and my guests) landed to when we left. The rehearsal dinner, the day of spa appointments, the ceremony, dinner, and brunch the next day was all PERFECT. There were signs for us and well marked directions for my guests. The cars picked everyone up within a few seconds of calling. Everyone was gracious and treated us like we were royalty. We had DJ Q, who played the perfect selection if music. Kim made my wedding the fairy tale I was hoping for. I literally cannot say enough about having your wedding here.

Room Tip: I looked at Google Earth. All rooms were amazing.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MOLLY W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
Los Angeles
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the Buccaneer. This is not a homogenized, personality -free resort like a Sandals or Club Med - it's the real deal. The Buccaneer has history, nature, beautiful accommodations, and great food. I stayed the second week in May and had a fantastic experience. The complimentary morning breakfast buffet was very fresh and tasty (and they will bring you your very own pot of coffee for the table!). The beaches are gorgeous - I found the beach near the pool better for snorkeling and the Mermaid beach better for swimming and kayaking. Never made it into the pool - the ocean water was just too good to pass up. All the staff were so helpful and really made our stay pleasant (thank you to Christopher, Kareem, Jennida, Jerome, and Carlysle!). Take time to enjoy the lush grounds of the property - we saw lots of iguanas and crabs due to the season. Our room was a very nice size with all the amenities you could want and awe-inspiring views of the beach, downtown St. Croix, and Altoona Lagoon. I will definitely be back at the Buccaneer - thank you!

Room Tip: Stayed right above the lobby/terrace and it was a very quiet room.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Claire H
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Definitely come here! I don't usually stay at big properties or get inclusive meals, but it was going to St Croix to house hunt not vacation. I had been to the island 10 or so times before, but never visited the Buccaneer. What a wonderfully inviting place! I felt like I was visiting someone's home even though the place is big. Every employee greeted us with a genuine smile. The breakfast was standard except for the Johnny cakes! You have to try these island specialties. It is like a pancake deep fried, but not at all oily. The staff in the restaurants were not fast, but that is typical in the islands, but they more than made up for it in friendliness! One gentleman greeted us ever morning and when asked how he was doing, he would say "top of the "mountain!" And I believed him every time! I had the feeling that the owners and staff were synced and all simply loved the property.

Now onto the property. We stayed in 332, a perfect location for the two beaches--less than a 2 minute walk to either and definitely worth the extra money. And the room opened onto a cobbled deck overlooking the water!! Mermaid beach is the nicest one for playing in the water, but watch out for the morning boat picking up the folks for Buck island. The other beach, I think called Grotto Beach, had some very nice snorkeling in shallow water so great for those not as comfortable in deep water. There are huts to get gear from for free. You can also get kayaks and other water toys. No need to pack any toys for the kids. And the hut staff were extremely helpful!

The only constructive comments I would give management is the rooms need updating. Specifically pictures and linens. They were a bit dated. not that I spent much time in the rooms. Also if we turned off the AC, we could hear our neighbors like they were in our room so we kept on the AC (wasting power). Better doors I between the rooms may save you some money.

Others have commented on the hike up the hill to the terrace restaurant, but I loved it. You get tho most spectacular view of the bay. And the sunset from the terrace is unrivaled!

Overall, I wish I had stayed here before! By the way, the property is completely non-smoking, which was actually great. I quit while there!

Room Tip: The row of rooms that 332 adjoined were all a very romantic location.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank scubachick21
Grand Junction, CO
Reviewed June 17, 2014

The grounds of this hotel are beautiful. The view from our Family Suite were spectacular. However, the service was average and not what we are used to in the Caribbean. There are four different restaurants, all with different hours. We walked up the very large hill one night to go to the main restaurant only to find it empty with nobody around. Even the bar was deserted. We waited for 15 minutes and when nobody showed up we had to walk quite aways in the opposite direction to go to a different restaurant. There we were told that there was a problem with the ovens in the first restaurant and that they would not be opening for the night. I understand that problems happen but felt like they should have notified their guests of the closure so that we did not have to hike up the hill for nothing. In addition, the bars did not open until 11 and usually it was later than that. The staff comes in and out of your room for cleaning twice a day and to leave notes about activities you have reserved. We came back to our suite one afternoon to find it had been left wide open.

The room we had was updated and kept clean. The ice and water left in the rooms was convenient. The breakfast buffet was good, however, after a week, having the exact same things on the buffet every day was boring. We found the service at the Mermaid Restaurant to be poor. Very slow and not very friendly service. Our son and his friend had such poor service there one evening that they did not put a tip on their ticket. The waitress tracked them down and told them to complete the ticket and put a tip on it!

If a friend was going to St. Croix I would have a hard time recommending this place. Just not our style.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank lmullen
Florence, Kentucky
Reviewed June 14, 2014

This trip was for a Family Reunion Vacation with 17 family members and we all had a fantastic time. I knew it was going to be great when we were greeted with the tasty rum punch. The grounds are beautiful, the rooms (we were upgraded) were wonderful and the beach was prestine. This was my second time to St. Croix and I will only stay at the Buccaneer on my return trips. Mrs. Armstrong and her staff were absolutely fabulous. Thanks Nadia for guiding us through the process from start to finish, you are wonderful.

Wilson/Lee
Florence, KY

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Edgeley, North Dakota
Reviewed June 8, 2014

This was a our first family trip and the Buccaneer was amazing! Our room was upgraded, staff was excellent and polite, gorgeous beach, fun activities for the kids, wonderful breakfast, great memories!

Room Tip: The Family Cottages were a good fit for our family with two separate bedrooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Kim D
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We really liked everything about it...the rooms, the staff, the views, the breakfast, the convenience to Christiansted. I could go on, but you get the idea. Fantastic.

Gotta try Savant Restaurant (5 min from hotel). Only place we went to twice.

Room Tip: If you're staying in the Family Cottages, choose the numbers 168 and higher. Great views from t...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
The Palms at Pelican Cove
The Palms at Pelican Cove
#2 of 14 in Christiansted
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,103 reviews

Been to The Buccaneer St Croix? Share your experiences!