“Disappointed in The Buccaneer” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Buccaneer St Croix

The Buccaneer St Croix
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
WPB, Florida
“Disappointed in The Buccaneer”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2008

We (husband, wife and two teenagers) just returned from a one week stay at The Buccaneer and were very disappointed. We booked 2 "luxury ocean view" rooms that were far from luxurious. The air conditioner was weak, the tub/shower had so much mold that it needed to be recaulked (done upon my request), the comforter had stains on it (replaced upon my request), the tile floors are stained and dirty, the bathroom lighting is almost non-existent and the bed was very "lumpy." We expressed our dissatisfaction with the room and were told that there were no more king bedded rooms available. On day 4, we were moved to a beachfront "doubloon room" and it was very nice. No monetary adjustment was made to our bill for the 4 nights spent in a substandard room (think Holiday Inn at Fairmont prices). The hotel did buy our dinner the last night there (sorry for your incovenience...) however, the damage was already done to our vacation. The beach facilities are very nice and the property itself is gorgeous...just don't expect a luxury vacation as their website states.

• Liked — The beach
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
8 Thank FrancisWPB_Florida

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
new jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2008

had oceanfront view with wonderful view of the Carib/beach. Very beautiful property atop a hill overlooking the sea and much of the island. Rooms were clean, nice, good bathroom, plenty of towels, and service; A/C could have been set lower but it was fine. Small frig with complimentary champagne on arrival. Great tennis facility, 8 resurfaced courts but $18+ per hour. Mermaid Beach was great, lots of shade/palm trees, lounges, floats, + snorkels, masks and kayaks on some days. Bar/restaurant right there. Food was uneven at the hotel; very good jerk chicken but "fresh mahi" simply wasn't fresh. The main hotel restaurant, Terrace, has good food but fairly expensive and not great. Found other (more reasonable/better quality) food choices in town; negotiate with cab drivers from hotel. Hotel breakfast buffet is very good every day/lots of choices. Service can be very uneven; some are wonderful/friendly while others are less caring and service is generally quite slow - everywhere. Golf shop had an attitude that was unfortunate for a Carib course with brown fairways. Didnt' try spa but workout facility was good. Pool by beach was small but nice; service at that restaurant (Grotto) was unbelievably slow (1 hour for burgers)but food was fine. Overall, great fun, beautiful place. Don't miss Buck Island for snorkeling and Salt River kayak tour was also worthwhile.

• Liked — beach front/palm trees/swimming area
  • Disliked — food (dinner) quality was only fair and pricey
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank texinnj
Atlanta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2008

Overall, nice hotel but has some flaws. Good place to relax, but don't expect to be pampered. Beautiful views, grounds are very clean, but expensive food/drink.

PROS: Quaint hotel, comfortable lobby. Plenty of room to move around so if you don't rent a car, you will still have plenty of activities. The terrace is lovely with pleasant breeze at all times. There is music nightly on the terrace, from piano to jazz, and a wonderful classical guitarist.

There are 3 small beaches to choose from (only 2 if you don't want to take a walk a bit). The pool is small but kept clean and is very warm. We were "off season" and didn't find it too crowded. I really liked the fact that there is no smoking around the pool area and is limited on the beaches.

The breakfast buffet is excellent and is served until 10:30 so you don't have to get up early to enjoy it.

Sitting outside on our patio at night we had wonderful breeze and view.

Activities were fun. We enjoyed the crab races (no crabs were harmed) and won free cocktails.

The front desk and the concierge were very helpful, our thanks to Marsha for helping us with problems. They didn't receive our reservation (via Orbitz) and luckily it was off season so we didn't have any problems. Marsha gave us a nice upgrade to beachside rooms.

The Summer Sizzler was a good package and contained lots of freebies, like a rental car and massages which we didn't use. I did use the coupons for half day snorkel trip and it was very nice.

CONS:
Could use updating. We were in the Deluxe Oceanfront rooms. We were told our rooms had been recently updated, but we thought it needed more work. Air conditioner would keep the main room cool, but not cold and the bathroom was sweltering hot after showers, the AC didn't seem to make it that far. I spent a couple of nights putting on makeup with sweat rolling down my face. There's a ceiling fan in bathroom, but it wasn't sufficient for the heat. Patio outside room was broken and uneven, easy to trip on, especially at night. The walls are paper-thin. We were unfortunate enough to be next to a couple who fought every day, starting at 5:30 am. We could hear every word. Even when they weren't yelling at each other you can still hear entire conversations through the walls. Not a place to be if you are a light sleeper.

The service was defiantly spotty. As mentioned the front desk was helpful and most of the waitstaff was very nice. But we got some "attitude" from a house keeper and porter and one of the waitresses. Seems we were inconveniencing them. A housekeeper actually reprimanded us for not putting our "do not disturb" sign out for her. If you want to go somewhere to be pampered, this is NOT the place for you.

Prices of food was outrageous. I know that food/drink is more expensive here, but we often felt like we were just being gouged. I can see fish costing $26 (although it was caught there and should be cheaper) but $23 for a bowl of cheese tortellini? Sandwiches were $12 at Mermaid restaurant and at least you were full when you left. However, at the Terrace our entrees didn't include a salad and only a half slice of bread. They wouldn't leave the bread basket on the table. And when we asked for more bread, (they didn't give you butter) they would come by later with another 1/2 slice. Also, menu never varied. If you have food restrictions (vegetarian or non-meat eater) you are stuck with the same food every day. The lobster bisque at the Mermaid was awful. Runny and bland.

Drinks were extremely pricey. We bought 2 coctails (only 1 was frozen) and it was $30.

Smoking is not allowed by the pool or in areas of the beaches which is great! However, it is allowed on the terrace where the bar is. So if a smoker is upwind from you (and there usually was), you can't get away from the smoke--it ruins a wonderful summer breeze. I had a couple of cocktails on the terrace, the next day my hair and clothes smelled like cigarettes despite a breeze. Also, the beachside rooms had interior doors to adjoining rooms. Cigarette and even cigar smoke came in through the cracks of the door. I had to put towels around the door crack and that helped a little but our room sometimes smelled like stale smoke.

Snorkels, kayaks available but I was annoyed that no one ever mentions to the snorkelers that they should never stand on the coral. Saw lots of folks standing on it! It's a living organism and snorkel fins knock off chunks of coral. Could easily just put a sign up about it....

Overall, pros and cons. I have heard it is the best resort on the island. But we talked to locals and they say they come to the resort for a cocktail on the terrace, but they'd never eat there, even for special occasions.

TRAVEL TIPS: All of the restaurants are open air. I usually bring some jeans or long pants in case restaurants are cold but don't bother here. We never saw any air conditioned bars or restaurants.

There are some restaurants in town along the marina where food is more realistically priced-$15-20 for an entree.

• Liked — Views, nice beaches
  • Disliked — Price of food and drink, spotty service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
11 Thank Private1234
Frederick, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Buccaneer in St Croix for our third wedding anniversary. We ordered the romance package on to what we booked via Expedia.com

We were extremely satisfied to say the least. From the time the shuttle the Buccaneer arranged to pick us up at the airport until the time we left the resort to return home we enjoyed each and every moment. The staff goes out of their way to accommodate the guests needs and are very polite.

We tried to take part in everything to resort has to offer but in five days we missed some of the things the resort has to offer such as a few of the pools and golf. We did enjoy in room massages which were incredible - highly recommended. The half day sail to Buck island from the Buccaneer pier is NOT to be missed - that is a slice of heaven there!! The restaurants have some incredible food - the mahi mahi fish for lunch at the mermaid is fabulous. The Terrace offers a lot of variety and perfectly prepared dishes for dinner.

Snorkeling at the main beach of the resort we saw stingrays and thousands of fish - too many types for me to list of identify including lobster - look for them, they are hiding there! This does not compare to snorkeling at Buck Island!

Every Tuesday Elisabeth Armstrong the general manager of the resort (also owner?) hosts a party with the traditional stilt dancers at the sugar mill with complimentary cocktails and appetizers.

We are definitely returning with our children for a longer stay. Be ware of the sun, it's brutally hot, sunscreen is a must- very easy to burn.

We missed the intro to scuba class hosted in one their pools, and hope to try that the next time.

The Buccaneer at St Croix is highly recommended and worth a visit!

• Liked — Great service, clean rooms, excellent food
  • Disliked — The big hill! It's a minor inconvience ... if you stay in the upper part of the resort you'll understand
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
9 Thank SirForce
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2008

Trip report – The Buccaneer, St. Croix – April 16-22

The Buccaneer
Overall:
We chose St. Croix largely because we were curious about the island and wanted a resort on a nice beach. The Buccaneer did not disappoint. It’s charming, not glitzy. People describe it as a “country club like atmosphere” and I can see that but it still was not too stuffy for us. The resort suits families, honeymooners, and couples all very well. The grounds were beautiful. The three beaches were all very nice. The Mermaid, lined with palm trees and a volleyball net was our favorite. Snorkeling gear and kayaks, and other beach toys were available to use for free for guests. Unfortunately, the water was too stirred up when we were there to snorkel.

Family Cottage:
We stayed in the Family Cottage suites, room 171, and it was perfect for us. My sons enjoyed having their own room and TV. My husband was appreciative of the free wifi so he could work from the room. The children and parents’ rooms share a bathroom with two sinks. We had a nice patio with a fantastic view where we watched the sun set. I have to thank ccrosner for her best tip, to ask for one of the cottages higher up, since they offer a view of the ocean. We loved our room primarily for the view.

I believe they plan to renovate these cottages (read that on this board). They could use some updating of bedding, bathroom, and even the furniture on the patio. None of this really bothered us since we valued the privacy from our children and the view the room offered at a reasonable price.

One note to parents with little ones – the children’s room outside door makes a noise when opened so you know if your children are going outside. You can also lock the door with a bolt so they just can’t open the door and leave.

Food:
Overall, we thought the food at the resort was very good. We usually try to eat off a resort as much as possible, however, we enjoyed our meals at the Buccaneer. Breakfast was wonderful. I ordered an egg white omelet almost every day and my husband and sons loved the banana pancakes and banana french toast that they ordered from the kitchen. They also have fresh fruit, muffins, hot dishes, home fries,… at the buffet. Breakfast is complimentary but we made sure to leave a nice tip for the servers.

We had lunches at both the Grotto and Mermaid Beach. My sons had great burgers at the Grotto and my husband and I shared a salad with grilled chicken. All were very good but the service for my sons the two days they went alone was extremely slow (1.5 hours for lunch). The food was very good at the Mermaid (more interesting choices) and much quicker. We had planned on skipping lunch after our hearty breakfasts but the aroma on the beach from the restaurant was too tempting. It also didn’t help to have the drinks so close. There is no beach service. This was not an issue for us since it’s just a few steps to the restaurant and bar and we needed all the exercise we could get! Weston, at the beach bar was our favorite bartender. He made the best drinks we had on the island. My sons loved his banana chocolate smoothies. He is unassuming and doesn’t say much but every drink is made to order (noas opposed to a huge container of pina colada).

We ate at The Mermaid for dinner our first night and the Terrace our second since many restaurants were closed for the Taste of St. Croix. I had a better meal at the Mermaid but my sons, who have expensive taste, enjoyed the lamb at the Terrace.

Once again, the view from all the restaurants made dining a pleasure. I loved looking at the ocean everyday from the Terrace.

Other amenities:
We purchased the “Explore and Rejuvenate Package” for $100 and received 1 free night, 1 day rental from Hertz, a bottle of champagne in our room, and choice of 2 of the following: round of golf, court time, message or facial. It was a great value.

My husband, who is a very good golfer, enjoyed the course. It wasn’t particularly challenging for him but he enjoyed its beauty. He had a free round with package and went off first thing in the AM and was done in about 3 hours with a cart, which was included. He could have finished ore quickly if he was alone.

I also sent my husband for a massage, once again complimentary with our package, and he said it was excellent. He enjoyed talking to his masseuse, since she gave him insights regarding island life.

We walked and ran the exercise path, which was a nice way to view to resort. My husband and sons used the weights in the exercise facility as well.

Finally, for families with children, I used the small self-serve laundry (2 washers and 2 dryers, $2 - $1.50 to use, boxes of detergent to purchase, and change maker for $1’s and $5’s in the laundry room). The laundry is near the Grotto beach and resort meeting rooms in a green building.

The island of St. Croix
I have to say we enjoyed the Buccaneer so much that we didn’t explore the island as much as we had hoped. My husband also had a number of business calls so we stayed on the resort. The drive from the airport as others have said isn’t particularly attractive. St. Croix is a big island with a K-Mart, McDonald’s, and other stuff and traffic. Christiansted is a neat, picturesque town, which I wish we had more time to explore. We were there briefly to get picked up for our Tan Tan tour, for dinner one night and to stop by Sonya’s on the way to the airport to buy my sterling silver and gold “hook bracelet” - a great value for $65.

Trip to Buck Island:
We took Teroro, out of Green Cay, a 5 minute drive from The Buccaneer. We enjoyed this trip and Capt. Carl and Melanie were very professional. We were the first boat snorkeling (before Big Beard) and the only boat on the beach for awhile. We spent about 1.5 hours on the beach, which is beautiful and undeveloped. I spent some time trying to figure out which trip to book and I don’t think you can go wrong with either Big Beard or Teroro (the two I researched). Big Beard picks up from the dock at The Buccaneer a few times during the week, a big plus if you don’t rent a car. I think they also serve complimentary drinks. The whole day trip includes a beach barbeque. We met a number of part-time residents who seem to favor Teroro. You bring your own beverages (or can buy one for $1) and food. We had the Buccaneer pack us box lunches of fired chicken and fruit, which worked out well. We also took the ½ day trip, which was enough for us.

Tan Tan tour:
Overall, this was fun but pricey at $80 per person for a ½ day trip to the tidal pools, Domino Club in the rain forest. My sons enjoyed it. It really is like a roller coaster ride as the drive/fly through the dirt paths on the mountain/rain forest. Did I mention that I hate roller coasters? I don’t think I would recommend it for children under the age 10, and possibly 12, even though my 11 year enjoyed it. There are no seat belts, just hang on to the bar in the back of the jeep. Tan Tan does not have an office to meet at. They meet you at the pier near Rumrunners and where Big Beard picks up. They might be 15 minutes late and take only cash or travelers’ checks. They also will stop at the gas station on the way out of town to get gas. Your ride (degree of wildness) will depend on your driver. We stopped at Cane Bay, which had some decent waves. I wasn’t as wowed by the beach as I thought I would be but it was overcast and not many people around. On the way to the tidal pools, we did have some trouble with our jeep but they sent another jeep to pick us up. The tidal pools were beautiful. The guides help you climb to them. Watch out for sea urchins on the sides of the tidal pools. Our guide was also very good about stopping and telling us interesting facts about the island and identifying various types of trees. Since we were delayed by our jeep breakdown, we were starving by the time we got to the Domino Club. Luckily we had some cash with us and bought chicken and johnny cakes. It was 2:30 and we got the last two orders of chicken. At least 12 people came in after us hoping for some chicken. This might have been my sons’ favorite meal on the island, basic but tasty. My husband and I had Norma’s famous drink, the mamawana? I don’t know what you call it but both food and drink hit the spot at this point. Next we went for fresh fruit smoothies, which were very good. We where done with the tour about 1 our later than scheduled so plan accordingly. The tour allowed us to see parts of the island we would have never seen on our own.

Rental Car:
We chose Hertz since we had one free day from the Buccaneer and their weekly quote seemed the lowest. I had called Judi of St. Croix and Centerline and they were both more friendly (especially Judy) and “with it” on the phone. We were the only customers so things moved quickly enough at the airport. We had to ask for directions and the service rep was not particularly helpful. In retrospect, we probably saved only a few dollars since there is a $20 airport tax for picking up a car at the airport. Judi and Centerline are a short drive away from the airport and you don’t have to pay the tax. We did not purchase the collision damage waiver coverage (a little over $15/day) since my insurance policy stated we were covered for US territories.

Dining:
Our favorite meal off the resort was Kendrick’s for formal and Cheeseburgers for informal. Kendrick’s has a lovely atmosphere. The three males in our family ordered duck and enjoyed it. Cheeseburgers (a short, easy drive from the Buc) was the deal of the island for us with a huge burger and side for $8.50 – very good burger. I wasn’t wowed by Duggin’s Reef but it may be what I ordered. My son enjoyed his meal the most - lobster. It was a cute spot but pricer than I thought it would be.

In summary, great trip, loved the Buccaneer! I would like to go back and explore the island more.

• Liked — The view.
  • Disliked — Slightly dated room.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
13 Thank lovethecape
dallas, tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2008

This is a beautiful (throwback from year's past) resort that has a lot going for it. St. Croix is not a very pretty island, but the setting of the Buccaneer was wonderful. The resort is spread out and very hilly. We stayed in the furthest room from the Main House in the Doubloons. Our view from the second floor was spectacular. The walk up the hill each morning for the extraordinary breakfast was a good way to start the day. Snorkeling at Buck Island was great and Big Beard's (arranged thru Concierge) picks you up right at the Buccanner dock. The golf course was not world-class but the $50 green fee was the fair price for this very short but fun and sometimes picturesque course. I played as a single in the afternoon on two different days and I had the course to myself. The Terrace and the Mermaid had good, not great food but certainly very adequete if you did not want to go to Chrisyensted to eat. Christensted is quite run down and not very good for shopping other than tee-shirts, etc. We rented a car for one day and drove the island. Not much to see except for the beer-drinking pigs at The Domino Club! Overall this resort is a hidden gem to veg-out in an understated but elegant setting. Great beaches, beautiful views from the beach and restaurants, good food and drinks, and extremely nice and accommodating people at the resort.

5 Thank miketDallas_Tx
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2008

We stayed at the Buccaneer for a week. The Doubloons room (352) was fabulous -expensive, but fabulous.

The turn-down service was spotty. They didn’t show up once, and we only had the “bedside mats” one night.

Went with the "relax and rejuvenate" package – very nice.

Quick and Dirty on the food: Dinners (2) at: Terrace – nice view, food ok. Mermaid for dinner once and lunch once – food same as Terrace. The breakfast that is compt with the room was great.

Consider venturing out to eat too: Cheeseburgers in Paradise (when will Jimmy Buffet sue them?) – good and cheap (well, relatively cheap for St. Croix). Dominos delivers! (to the room) – dependable and good. The Galleon – the best dinner of our trip ($ and food) the Caesar salad was outstanding.

You should consider renting a car. Rented a car from the week from Hertz – using the Buccaneer rate – no sweat and cheapest of all the rentals - -we ran the hell outta the little Suzuki wind-up car!.

Recent reviewers are right – it’s very quiet at night, and that’s okay. Thank God there is no loud, pumping music on the beach – just people’s voices, then wind, and surf.

• Stayed April 2004, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Gina_Hubby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
The Palms at Pelican Cove
The Palms at Pelican Cove
#2 of 14 in Christiansted
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,092 reviews

Been to The Buccaneer St Croix? Share your experiences!