“good hotel but needs some improvement”

The Buccaneer St Croix
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Reviewed May 13, 2013

PROS: The property is gorgeous! The room I stayed in (Ocean view in the main building) had enough space, great view and was always clean! Great complimentary breakfast. The massages I had at the spa were great!

CONS: The restaurants are ok. The food could be better but the worse thing is the service. The staff is really nice but there are not enough waitresses. So it can take up to 15 minutes just to get the menu… The service on the beach is really poor, almost inexistent (it is a pitty because the beach and chairs are really good).

They definitely have to hire more staff for the beach and restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paula R
There are newer reviews for The Buccaneer St Croix

Reviewed May 13, 2013

The Buccaneer Beach House at Whistle Point was legendary. The 180 degree ocean view, private salt water pool, amazing golf course, and fabulous service made the vacation magical. My favorite part of the estate was the master suite shower. It had an ocean view to die for. I had the cleanest haiir on the island! The Beach House was the perfect place for our reunion. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Overall a beautiful location and generally friendly staff. However for the price, the service really should be better. The restaurant service is spotty with barely warm eggs at the breakfast buffet, slow service at night, same menu items have different quality and quantity from one day to the next, some folks get a complimentary appetizer and some do not, etc. Front desk people never cracked a smile and seemed generally unattentive or maybe understaffed, once completely ignoring/forgetting one of our requests.

Room Tip: Go for the ocean front rooms for great views and privacy
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 260LouisA
Reviewed May 8, 2013

What an awesome way to spend our 25th Wedding Anniversary! Seriously we were treated as though we were their only guests. We did not encounter one negative issue the entire stay, the staff truly enjoy working there and it shows they work very hard to please and I would have to say they have perfected the formula. Our Room was fabulous great views, comfortable furnishings and housekeeping staff that took great pride in keeping it maintained. Can not say enough about the food no matter where you decided to dine Terrace Room to the Grotto Beach the food was fantastic be it a more elaborate meal to a simple salad it never dissappointed. For us it was truly the best experience we have ever had on vacation, and part of the reason for this we believe is because they treat you like family.

Room Tip: The rooms between Mermaid Beach and Grotto Beach are spectacular and the View is breathtaking!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mrjr42288
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and i went to St Croix on April 9th of this year it was amazing the Buccaneer was Beautiful the view was awesome and the service was great .. we had a amazing room with wonderful room service we would def go back!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed at Buccaneer with my wife and 11 m/o daughter in one room, and Mother-in-law in an adjoining room. Hotel was awesome! We all loved it. Not so fancy I would feel out of place but very nice. Beach was perfect.... water coolers so you can always get a quick drink of water, lots of chairs and palm trees for shade, Mermaid restaurant (which has great jerk wings, burgers and salads), and C Jay at the beach shack goes above and beyond for everyone at the beach, he deserves a raise! Deluxe ocean front room (#334) was excellent, perfect location between two beaches (with some nice snorkeling opportunities if visibility permits), it was clean, spacious, and had a million dollar view! Golf course was nice and had some had incredible views. Terrace restaurant had very good food and great service for breakfast, (order the chocolate chip banana pancakes) and dinner (lobster, Fillet, and short ribs were delicious). Hotel great for just relaxing or being active, something for everyone both young and old. Concierge was very helpful but should inform guests of weight restrictions for sea thru kayak tours of bioluminescence bay. went with another outfitter called virgin kayak and am glad i did because it was the best! Went diving with S.C.U.B.A. and would highly recommend them. The diving was very good, better than I expected. Snorkel trip to buck island was with Big Beards was fun and snorkeling was good. Took a ride to Point Udall, the most eastern point in the U.S.A, and the views there were breathtaking! Buccaneer and St. Croix are both places I would love to return to!

Room Tip: Room 334 was great.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank 10Mummytoes
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We were fortunate enough to make what was actually our third trip to St. Croix in 10 months in April. Our son was married at the Carambola in June. I didn't feel like a got the "full vacation" with all the wedding stuff so just my husband and I went in January. Now I have no excuse, but being very luck and just a bit spoiled, to return again in April with my parents in tow. Rebecca was a huge help in getting our trip set up. Despite my parents health issues, we had a wonderful time. Although we have made many trips since or first in 1999 to St. Croix, my parents never wanted to stay at the Buccaneer. Frankly we usually travel in a pack of about 12 so the budget usually was more towards a condo to accommodate our group. My Mom is now sold. I knew she would be. We booked a great house room and was lucky enough to get upgraded to ocean front. I have to say I enjoyed the greathouse view and location better, but with my parents this was much easier to get her to the beach. I housekeeping was better and friendlier at the greathouse too. We have absolutely no complaints for our overall experience. Dinner at the Terrace for my Mom's 65th birthday was very special and delicious. The waitresses at breakfast knew my Dad only liked one type of tea and he never had to ask after the first day. The cooked to order eggs and omelets were great. Enjoyed the Managers Party, Ms. Armstrong's nature and history walk and a tour of the new beach house. Now if it was just in the budget, I know of a place to fit our large family group. We can dream I guess. Love all the waitresses and bartenders. Especially Larry who spent a great day golfing with us. The resort was pretty slow the week we were there which was nice for us, but hard for the staff and managers I am sure. My Mom and I went up for a cooking demo one afternoon and we were the only two there, so it was cancelled and Benjamin set us up all by ourselves at the bar which was very sweet of him. I can't wait to return. I'm already secretly planning my return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
Hotel on the Cay
#5 of 14 in Christiansted
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa
Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort

Been to The Buccaneer St Croix? Share your experiences!