“Outstanding Service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Christiansted
South Carolina
“Outstanding Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

This hotel was so accommodating and helpful to our group. The service was five star and very knowledgeable. When we checked in, we were delighted to see that our room was upgraded to an ocean view room. There was even a bottle of champagne for my husband's birthday! The staff was super friendly and exceeded our expectations. We will definitely return to this hotel. One note on the golf course. It was just an "average" course and in need of some maintenance. Really not worth the value we paid to play it. A couple of holes were very scenic and not too challenging.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for ocean view. It is worth it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SouthCarolinaAnnSC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I can see why this is a world class resort. The staff was, with very few exceptions, wonderful. Kind, considerate, and very helpful; you only need to ask. The room we stayed in was right along the Grotto beach line. Large and comfortable. I was surprised when I came back to the room mid morning and the floor was being mopped. We loved the patio in the evenings. The Grotto beach was rocky but the Mermaid beach is much more open and clear if you like the water.
There were three dining areas; two for supper. You can go into town for less expensive meals, but I found that any saved money was offset by the cab costs. I think the quality of the food was much better at the Buccaneer. Our favorite was the roasted beet salad, we had it almost every night. Kudos to the head chef. I highly recommend the history/nature tour given by GM Elizabeth Armstrong.
I would definitely visit this resort again - it was the best vacation I ever had and it is because of the beauty, tranquility, and the staff who make it that way.
Bill P.
Philadelphia, PA

Room Tip: If you can get a room by the beach, do it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Monroe, new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

the majority of the staff was nice. attitudes abound for breakfast. First day I was told by my waitress that her tip was not included when she handed me the check to sign.(breakfast was included in my stay) I thought that was a bit rude.
Rooms are clean but need to be updated. They are a bit shabby. The beach is beautiful but Very rocky shoreline as you enter and exit the water.It look like sand all the way in but its not. Bring beach shoes to avoid getting hurt. I was surprised at the added 25% fee at the end of the stay. None of which was for gratuities.
I would not recommend this resort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
5 Thank Javada
Malibu, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I was lucky enough to spend 5 days at The Buccaneer on St. Croix. What I really liked about St. Croix was that it was not real crowded like some of the other islands. Not sure why that is but I liked it. This hotel while older is very nice. The staff was friendly. My room was right on the little beach ( there are 2) I was steps from one of the pools. The room was quite large with a great patio to watch the sun set. If you are looking for a quite out of the way romantic spot, this might be the place for you. But if you want the Fairmont or St. Regis, then go to St Thomas. Go to town for dinner, beach bar is great.

Room Tip: If you don't mind walking up and down a big hill. Ask for a beach front room you won't be so...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank thecolonel1215
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We went here for just for dinner, served in the open air lounge, to enjoy the music of Steven Katz. I had the Blackened Mahi while my companion had the Tofu in Red Curry sauce, but with chicken substituted for the tofu (which was not a problem). The Mahi was fresh caught and it was a generous portion, grilled to perfection! The chicken in red curry sauce was so good, that my companion let me dip forkfuls of Mahi into the sauce. A heavenly taste delight (even if it was bad manners).

Steven was brilliant and we bought three of his CD's to add to the one we had first heard last year.

Now for a complaint directed to TripAdvisor itself. I was unable to find a separate way to review just the restaurant at this hotel. I think that does a disservice to those who are not interested in staying at the hotel but would enjoy good food, entertainment and the atmosphere.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank STX_Restaurant_Tour
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed for the week of Christmas and it was pretty windy but nothing that the hotel could do about it. The property is very nice, larger than expected. The staff is very professional, helpful and friendly. They have no problem helping or answering questions.

The location isn't a huge plus, we spent a lot of time off property and I wasn't too pleased about that but we got used to it. Overall, the stay was great, the grounds were very well kept and the value was worth it. A lot of great history too if you can find someone to talk to about it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank AJ C
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed in a family cottage with our two boys and really enjoyed the privacy of having two rooms. The rooms have just been renovated. The kids room is decorated with whimsical paintings of mermaids and sea creatures. A great value, and included a great breakfast and kids camp. The beaches were beautiful and we enjoyed the complimentary snorkeling and kayaks. Staff went above and beyond, especially the very cheery breakfast waitresses. Food was excellent, a bit on the expensive side, but it's an island, so we expect that. Will definitely return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank LauraNYC123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
#2 of 15 in Christiansted
4.5 of 5 stars 1,037 reviews
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa
Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort

Been to The Buccaneer -- St Croix? Share your experiences!