The Buccaneer St Croix
Club Comanche(Christiansted)
$199
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Hotel on the Cay(Christiansted)(Great Value!)
$209
$203
$225
$145
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $164/night.

$80
  • Restaurant
$149
Orbitz.com
St. John Inn(Cruz Bay)(Great Value!)
$330
Hotels.com
Secret Harbour Beach Resort(Benner)(Great Value!)
$286
TripAdvisor
Gallows Point Resort(Cruz Bay)(Great Value!)
$463
Hotels.com
1,508 results
All reviewsmermaid beachgolf coursegrotto poolocean frontgreat housebuck islandkids campjogging trailst croixfamily cottagemain buildingconcierge deskoceanfront roomtennis courtssugar millrum punchbeautiful resort
Reviewed December 14, 2012

First off St. Croix is absolutely beautiful! My girlfriends and I went for the St. Croix 5 mile swim. The Buccaneer was our "host" hotel and I feel blessed to have had such an amazing experience. The rooms are beautiful, clean, big, roomy with comfortable beds and great pillows! We had a veranda just off our room over looking the ocean. We sat out there every morning taking in the beauty of the blue/turquoise ocean. It was breath taking!
Our breakfast was included every morning with a buffet of fresh fruit, pancakes, waffles, eggs, potatoes, sausage, bacon, bagels, cereal...you name it, they had it! (I think you have to pay extra for it to be included...it's worth it) But the best part of the Buccaneer is the staff. Every person we met from the grounds keeper, to our wait staff, to our room attendants, to the front desk, down to the cabana/event specialists were the nicest, friendliest, most helpful staff I've ever come across in my travels. Everyone there treated us like we were family...the kind of family you love and are happy to see ;)
We are already planning our trip for 2013! Can't wait!

Room Tip: We were in the "100's" which is closer to the main hotel but a little...and I mean little hike to the beach. The rooms in the "300's" are closer to the beach but a little...and I mean little hike to the main hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Kamshaft67
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Have stayed here several times over the years, the last was over the summer (July 2012). Love it top to bottom. It is a non-chain luxury hotel--finest on St. Croix. It has a little cove beach (true to what's on St. Croix). If you want the most luxurious place while visiting St. Croix--this is it hands-down.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank ArizonaDoglover_50
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I have stayed at the Buccaneer three times now, and it has become one of my favorite go-to resorts in the Caribbean. The property is beautiful, the views from the hilltop are breathtaking, and the feel is low-key and family (not surprising as it is in fact family-owned). This isn't a big splashy amenities-driven resort so don't come here looking for that - in fact, don't come to St. Croix looking for that. St. Croix may have the least thriving tourist industry in the USVI, but I prefer it to overcrowded St Thomas, and sadly overdeveloping St John.

I have always stayed in the oceanfront rooms. While not opulently furnished, they are large, with a huge dressing area and bathroom and with spectacular terraces that truly make the room - you can lie on your own chaise watching the sun dropping towards the horizon as the sea laps at the rocks just a few feet below you as you nap on your terrace. It doesn't get more oceanfront anywhere I have been than these wonderful rooms. Of course you have to make a critical choice at the Bucc - stay up top near the main house, or down below near the beach. In either event there is some significant hill-climbing to do, but you need it to work off the huge and delicious buffet breakfasts (included in the price, a nice touch). You can always call for a friendly shuttle driver if you can't face the walk in either direction.

The two main beaches are lovely and have very different personalities despite being only yards apart. Mermaid Beach is the definitive Caribbean strand, with soft white sand, a lovely coconut grove scattered across it, beach toys available at no charge, hammock, loungers and a usually idyllically calm sea. Mermaid is where day trippers go when they enter the property to access the beach (as with all islands the beaches are public, and you will see an uptick in the crowd on weekends and holidays as locals come to picnic and linger). It also has the beachfront restaurant, which despite its location is my least favorite of the dining venues - it's not really a toes in the sand beach hut, and it feels in off-season like the stepchild of the property.

Grotto Beach feels a little less groomed and "tamed" - the sea is often a little rougher, it usually has fewer people, and it has more rocky areas that limit access to the water; but it is equally beautiful in its own way - you can walk along it for quite a distance. Grotto also has the main pool - small for a resort, but beautifully situated at the edge of the beach and adjacent to the dining venue of the same name, where Bobby, a fun and charming host, raconteur, and short order chef, turns out delicious casual lunches (ask him for his favorites and go with them...).

Up at the main house, besides the open air restaurant/lounge/bar area at the Martel, there is a sundries shop, the small gym (enough for my purposes while on vacation) and the spa. There is also the delightfully underused smaller pool, which I have often had to myself for long stretches during the day, and which I consider "my private pool" when I am there. LOL The upper pool can be a little neglected, and occasionally has no pool towels, but this is a point the property can work on.

The food is delicious and if all dining venues are open (be sure to check if you're not traveling in high season, as the Mermaid may have limited or no dinner hours), there is no need to go off-property during your stay. Christiansted is worth a few hours of exploring but doesn't offer many compelling restaurant options, and room service will deliver anything from the dinner menu if you want to stay in and listen to the waves from your room. Don't forget the bug spray if you linger outside in the evening though - the vicious no-see-ums are simply a reality of island life in the Caribbean and no hotel, no matter how high-end, can change that. Having explored the island once, I am content on my subsequent stays to just enjoy being a part of the Buccaneer family while there. Everyone on the staff is friendly, warm, and accessible, and happy to chat with a solo traveler as I have been on occasion. I love the Buccaneer and will keep going back.

Room Tip: If you opt for the luxury oceanfront rooms, be warned that they follow a long winding line along the waterfront, and you may want to see how you feel before you settle. Some have a head-on view of the sea, very private; some have view of one of the beaches and can be more exposed. Definitely avoid the rooms farthest west along Grotto Beach, as these face vegetation that blocks the ocean view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank Mark K
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed at the Buccaneer in December of 2012 for a medical conference. The hotel is nice enough, but certainly not a luxury experience. We stayed in one of the Family Cottages. It had a nice view of the ocean, and was very spacious. It seemed a bit run down. The paint needed to be updated, holes in walls etc. Our shower had almost no water pressure, making rinsing off a lengthy experience! We had a lot of bugs in our room, which may be due to the cleaning staff leaving the doors open.

There was a bottle of OFF provided in our room, but despite regular use, we were eaten alive by bugs. I would recommend bringing something stronger with you. I am surprised that the resort does not spray the grounds.

We found Adrien R. at the concierge desk to be really helpful and friendly. She recommended some amazing restaurants and excursions. She is by far the friendliest person at the resort, and does an awesome job. Please go enjoy an evening meal at Savant, it was our most memorable night. We also enjoyed a tour to Buck Island, and SCUBA diving.

The taxi situation is a bit confusing. We didn't rent a car, so to get to town and back, we used the taxi service. It seems that there is no standardization as far as fare. We were charged varying amounts, and never could understand how it worked. I think if the hotel could provide something in writing about what to expect, it would help with the confusion. Most often, we were charged $4.50 each way, per person.

We encountered a few rude staff members. I think that some customer service training is necessary at this resort. For every rude one, we always met a kind one, so it seemed to even out.

Entertainment in the evenings is tired. We left the resort every night, and had a better time in town. It seems to be a pretty sleepy crowd that stays at the resort.

The beach at the Buccaneer is nice. They have kayaks, snorkel gear and floats that are free to use. There is beach volleyball and disc golf available. A nice running trail gives a beautiful tour of the grounds and some amazing views.

Dining at the hotel was expensive, but tasty. We often waited unreasonable amounts of time for our food. Once it arrived, we were never disappointed.

This hotel is historic, and there are some interesting things to learn about it's past. I am sure that in the past it was THE place to stay. I think that with some updating, staff training, and improved customer service, they could be that hotel again. I hope that Management takes note and tries for some improvements.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Meghan D
Reviewed December 5, 2012

My room on the beach was very dated and showed many signs of wear amd tear. Many mosquitoes and bugs found in the room. The maids keep the dooors open when cleaning and it seems to attract the bugs. There was bug repellent under the bathroom sink. Big plus! Two of the three beaches could not really be used for swimming due to the surrounding coral reefs. The pools were small and the six foot iguanas would come and bathe in the small pool near the spa at times. Breakfast buffet was ok. But, the Terrace Restaurant constantly was lacking in items on the menu. The portions were small and only luke warm when served. Also, the gym was tiny with one universal and weight bench and a few treadmillls. And, there is not much sun on both beaches. The beaches are a bit rocky too. Overall, just ok. Nothing special and will not return.

• Stayed: December 2012