“Love the Buccaneer!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Arizona
“Love the Buccaneer!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Have stayed here several times over the years, the last was over the summer (July 2012). Love it top to bottom. It is a non-chain luxury hotel--finest on St. Croix. It has a little cove beach (true to what's on St. Croix). If you want the most luxurious place while visiting St. Croix--this is it hands-down.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank ArizonaDoglover_50

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

I have stayed at the Buccaneer three times now, and it has become one of my favorite go-to resorts in the Caribbean. The property is beautiful, the views from the hilltop are breathtaking, and the feel is low-key and family (not surprising as it is in fact family-owned). This isn't a big splashy amenities-driven resort so don't come here looking for that - in fact, don't come to St. Croix looking for that. St. Croix may have the least thriving tourist industry in the USVI, but I prefer it to overcrowded St Thomas, and sadly overdeveloping St John.

I have always stayed in the oceanfront rooms. While not opulently furnished, they are large, with a huge dressing area and bathroom and with spectacular terraces that truly make the room - you can lie on your own chaise watching the sun dropping towards the horizon as the sea laps at the rocks just a few feet below you as you nap on your terrace. It doesn't get more oceanfront anywhere I have been than these wonderful rooms. Of course you have to make a critical choice at the Bucc - stay up top near the main house, or down below near the beach. In either event there is some significant hill-climbing to do, but you need it to work off the huge and delicious buffet breakfasts (included in the price, a nice touch). You can always call for a friendly shuttle driver if you can't face the walk in either direction.

The two main beaches are lovely and have very different personalities despite being only yards apart. Mermaid Beach is the definitive Caribbean strand, with soft white sand, a lovely coconut grove scattered across it, beach toys available at no charge, hammock, loungers and a usually idyllically calm sea. Mermaid is where day trippers go when they enter the property to access the beach (as with all islands the beaches are public, and you will see an uptick in the crowd on weekends and holidays as locals come to picnic and linger). It also has the beachfront restaurant, which despite its location is my least favorite of the dining venues - it's not really a toes in the sand beach hut, and it feels in off-season like the stepchild of the property.

Grotto Beach feels a little less groomed and "tamed" - the sea is often a little rougher, it usually has fewer people, and it has more rocky areas that limit access to the water; but it is equally beautiful in its own way - you can walk along it for quite a distance. Grotto also has the main pool - small for a resort, but beautifully situated at the edge of the beach and adjacent to the dining venue of the same name, where Bobby, a fun and charming host, raconteur, and short order chef, turns out delicious casual lunches (ask him for his favorites and go with them...).

Up at the main house, besides the open air restaurant/lounge/bar area at the Martel, there is a sundries shop, the small gym (enough for my purposes while on vacation) and the spa. There is also the delightfully underused smaller pool, which I have often had to myself for long stretches during the day, and which I consider "my private pool" when I am there. LOL The upper pool can be a little neglected, and occasionally has no pool towels, but this is a point the property can work on.

The food is delicious and if all dining venues are open (be sure to check if you're not traveling in high season, as the Mermaid may have limited or no dinner hours), there is no need to go off-property during your stay. Christiansted is worth a few hours of exploring but doesn't offer many compelling restaurant options, and room service will deliver anything from the dinner menu if you want to stay in and listen to the waves from your room. Don't forget the bug spray if you linger outside in the evening though - the vicious no-see-ums are simply a reality of island life in the Caribbean and no hotel, no matter how high-end, can change that. Having explored the island once, I am content on my subsequent stays to just enjoy being a part of the Buccaneer family while there. Everyone on the staff is friendly, warm, and accessible, and happy to chat with a solo traveler as I have been on occasion. I love the Buccaneer and will keep going back.

Room Tip: If you opt for the luxury oceanfront rooms, be warned that they follow a long winding line along the...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank Mark K
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed at the Buccaneer in December of 2012 for a medical conference. The hotel is nice enough, but certainly not a luxury experience. We stayed in one of the Family Cottages. It had a nice view of the ocean, and was very spacious. It seemed a bit run down. The paint needed to be updated, holes in walls etc. Our shower had almost no water pressure, making rinsing off a lengthy experience! We had a lot of bugs in our room, which may be due to the cleaning staff leaving the doors open.

There was a bottle of OFF provided in our room, but despite regular use, we were eaten alive by bugs. I would recommend bringing something stronger with you. I am surprised that the resort does not spray the grounds.

We found Adrien R. at the concierge desk to be really helpful and friendly. She recommended some amazing restaurants and excursions. She is by far the friendliest person at the resort, and does an awesome job. Please go enjoy an evening meal at Savant, it was our most memorable night. We also enjoyed a tour to Buck Island, and SCUBA diving.

The taxi situation is a bit confusing. We didn't rent a car, so to get to town and back, we used the taxi service. It seems that there is no standardization as far as fare. We were charged varying amounts, and never could understand how it worked. I think if the hotel could provide something in writing about what to expect, it would help with the confusion. Most often, we were charged $4.50 each way, per person.

We encountered a few rude staff members. I think that some customer service training is necessary at this resort. For every rude one, we always met a kind one, so it seemed to even out.

Entertainment in the evenings is tired. We left the resort every night, and had a better time in town. It seems to be a pretty sleepy crowd that stays at the resort.

The beach at the Buccaneer is nice. They have kayaks, snorkel gear and floats that are free to use. There is beach volleyball and disc golf available. A nice running trail gives a beautiful tour of the grounds and some amazing views.

Dining at the hotel was expensive, but tasty. We often waited unreasonable amounts of time for our food. Once it arrived, we were never disappointed.

This hotel is historic, and there are some interesting things to learn about it's past. I am sure that in the past it was THE place to stay. I think that with some updating, staff training, and improved customer service, they could be that hotel again. I hope that Management takes note and tries for some improvements.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Meghan D
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

My room on the beach was very dated and showed many signs of wear amd tear. Many mosquitoes and bugs found in the room. The maids keep the dooors open when cleaning and it seems to attract the bugs. There was bug repellent under the bathroom sink. Big plus! Two of the three beaches could not really be used for swimming due to the surrounding coral reefs. The pools were small and the six foot iguanas would come and bathe in the small pool near the spa at times. Breakfast buffet was ok. But, the Terrace Restaurant constantly was lacking in items on the menu. The portions were small and only luke warm when served. Also, the gym was tiny with one universal and weight bench and a few treadmillls. And, there is not much sun on both beaches. The beaches are a bit rocky too. Overall, just ok. Nothing special and will not return.

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank dml2005
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

Large resort hotel on sleepy island. Beautiful location and views but hotel not quite up to the same standards as comparable resorts in mainland US and Hawaii. I do think it is the best this island has to offer and I would stay here again. The staff and service was very friendly and they went out of their way to make sure our expereince was enjoyable. The breakfast buffet has lots of variety...good but not outstanding. Work out room is small but functional. Air conditioning was good and not too noisy. Beds/linens were comfortable. Internet was free but so slow during peak hours it wasn't worth the effort. Our room and bathroom were spacious and everything worked well from lights, bath/shower, TV...just don't expect high speed internet. Had all the usual ammentities including coffee maker and refrigerator. We stayed in a beach front unit and the view was excellent. We had a hub cap disapperar on our rental car over night in the parking area...so much for hotel security. Overall a good experience.

Room Tip: The rooms on the beach have great views, semi private deck, very spacious, and are very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MYGC
Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

It is 9pm right now and the music is so loud underneath my room from the that I feel I cannot stay in my room. My ears are actually ringing from the drums and base being so loud.
I called twice to have them turn the music down and nothing was done.
I paid a lot of money to stay here and I can't even stand being in this room.
Unbelievably bad.
I was looking forward to my visit because of all the good reviews and I am so disappointed that I wasted my hard earned money on what is becoming a nightmare. This will be the worst place I have ever stayed and I have traveled the world.
If I could leave tonight, I would.

Room Tip: Do not stay in this resort!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
18 Thank Spud99
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

My wife and I spent the Thanksgiving Holiday at the Buccaneer in St Croix. It was a wonderful experience. Of course you will notice the neatly kept ground, but what really stood out to both of us was the great attitude of the staff. Everyone was happy to see you and treated you like one of their family. Both the food and the entertainment was above expectations. While the room was not the Ritz, it was comfortable, the WiFi worked great. The Buc is really about the beach and relaxing, great views and wonderful beach. The golf course looked great and was not crowed. I did not play would want to on our next visit. The Thanksgiving dinner was outstanding and the morning breakfast buffet was more than adequate. The bar tenders were friendly and remembered your name and drink. The views from the main house were breathtaking.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Louis C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
The Palms at Pelican Cove
The Palms at Pelican Cove
#2 of 14 in Christiansted
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,075 reviews

Been to The Buccaneer St Croix? Share your experiences!