“Pack your bug spray.”

The Buccaneer St Croix
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed at the Buccaneer in December of 2012 for a medical conference. The hotel is nice enough, but certainly not a luxury experience. We stayed in one of the Family Cottages. It had a nice view of the ocean, and was very spacious. It seemed a bit run down. The paint needed to be updated, holes in walls etc. Our shower had almost no water pressure, making rinsing off a lengthy experience! We had a lot of bugs in our room, which may be due to the cleaning staff leaving the doors open.

There was a bottle of OFF provided in our room, but despite regular use, we were eaten alive by bugs. I would recommend bringing something stronger with you. I am surprised that the resort does not spray the grounds.

We found Adrien R. at the concierge desk to be really helpful and friendly. She recommended some amazing restaurants and excursions. She is by far the friendliest person at the resort, and does an awesome job. Please go enjoy an evening meal at Savant, it was our most memorable night. We also enjoyed a tour to Buck Island, and SCUBA diving.

The taxi situation is a bit confusing. We didn't rent a car, so to get to town and back, we used the taxi service. It seems that there is no standardization as far as fare. We were charged varying amounts, and never could understand how it worked. I think if the hotel could provide something in writing about what to expect, it would help with the confusion. Most often, we were charged $4.50 each way, per person.

We encountered a few rude staff members. I think that some customer service training is necessary at this resort. For every rude one, we always met a kind one, so it seemed to even out.

Entertainment in the evenings is tired. We left the resort every night, and had a better time in town. It seems to be a pretty sleepy crowd that stays at the resort.

The beach at the Buccaneer is nice. They have kayaks, snorkel gear and floats that are free to use. There is beach volleyball and disc golf available. A nice running trail gives a beautiful tour of the grounds and some amazing views.

Dining at the hotel was expensive, but tasty. We often waited unreasonable amounts of time for our food. Once it arrived, we were never disappointed.

This hotel is historic, and there are some interesting things to learn about it's past. I am sure that in the past it was THE place to stay. I think that with some updating, staff training, and improved customer service, they could be that hotel again. I hope that Management takes note and tries for some improvements.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Meghan D
Write a ReviewReviews (1,465)

Reviewed December 5, 2012

My room on the beach was very dated and showed many signs of wear amd tear. Many mosquitoes and bugs found in the room. The maids keep the dooors open when cleaning and it seems to attract the bugs. There was bug repellent under the bathroom sink. Big plus! Two of the three beaches could not really be used for swimming due to the surrounding coral reefs. The pools were small and the six foot iguanas would come and bathe in the small pool near the spa at times. Breakfast buffet was ok. But, the Terrace Restaurant constantly was lacking in items on the menu. The portions were small and only luke warm when served. Also, the gym was tiny with one universal and weight bench and a few treadmillls. And, there is not much sun on both beaches. The beaches are a bit rocky too. Overall, just ok. Nothing special and will not return.

• Stayed: December 2012
4  Thank dml2005
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Large resort hotel on sleepy island. Beautiful location and views but hotel not quite up to the same standards as comparable resorts in mainland US and Hawaii. I do think it is the best this island has to offer and I would stay here again. The staff and service was very friendly and they went out of their way to make sure our expereince was enjoyable. The breakfast buffet has lots of variety...good but not outstanding. Work out room is small but functional. Air conditioning was good and not too noisy. Beds/linens were comfortable. Internet was free but so slow during peak hours it wasn't worth the effort. Our room and bathroom were spacious and everything worked well from lights, bath/shower, TV...just don't expect high speed internet. Had all the usual ammentities including coffee maker and refrigerator. We stayed in a beach front unit and the view was excellent. We had a hub cap disapperar on our rental car over night in the parking area...so much for hotel security. Overall a good experience.

Room Tip: The rooms on the beach have great views, semi private deck, very spacious, and are very quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MYGC
Reviewed December 1, 2012

It is 9pm right now and the music is so loud underneath my room from the that I feel I cannot stay in my room. My ears are actually ringing from the drums and base being so loud.
I called twice to have them turn the music down and nothing was done.
I paid a lot of money to stay here and I can't even stand being in this room.
Unbelievably bad.
I was looking forward to my visit because of all the good reviews and I am so disappointed that I wasted my hard earned money on what is becoming a nightmare. This will be the worst place I have ever stayed and I have traveled the world.
If I could leave tonight, I would.

Room Tip: Do not stay in this resort!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
19  Thank Spud99
Reviewed November 28, 2012

My wife and I spent the Thanksgiving Holiday at the Buccaneer in St Croix. It was a wonderful experience. Of course you will notice the neatly kept ground, but what really stood out to both of us was the great attitude of the staff. Everyone was happy to see you and treated you like one of their family. Both the food and the entertainment was above expectations. While the room was not the Ritz, it was comfortable, the WiFi worked great. The Buc is really about the beach and relaxing, great views and wonderful beach. The golf course looked great and was not crowed. I did not play would want to on our next visit. The Thanksgiving dinner was outstanding and the morning breakfast buffet was more than adequate. The bar tenders were friendly and remembered your name and drink. The views from the main house were breathtaking.

1  Thank Louis C
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My husband and I went to The Buccaneer over the week of Thanksgiving for some R&R. Neither of us had been to St. Croix before and we booked this trip through Bookit.com. We were so happy with the hotel, our upgraded room on the beach (336), breakfast, the beaches, and the staff was AMAZING! The restaurants were great! We ate breakfast every morning, lunch at The Grotto or The Mermaid, and 2 dinners at The Terrace (including Thanksgiving meal). Every morning you received the days activities at the hotel at breakfast. The concierge was very helpful with other activities. Frankly, you never need to leave the property! We went to the manager's reception and they had Jumbie dancers perform. Every time we called a shuttle (about 3 times) it appeared in under 5 minutes. After getting some bites on the beach, the Beach Shack attendant brought me some cortisol cream to use without asking for it. My husband had two massages at the spa and enjoyed them a lot. I really cannot believe the 3 star or less reviews! Everyone asked if we were having a good time, could they help us with anything, breakfast was not a ""farce", etc. We took the island tour and I would tell you not to bother booking any other hotel.

1  Thank TripVbarS
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We had an amazing week at the Buccaneer in mid November. The weather was perfect, but even more perfect was the level of service and beauty of this resort. The resort is impeccable in cleanliness and happiness. We were talked into the resort after booking at another, this was the best advise from long time friend Captain Craig Cook of Croix Boy Charters and his wife, Wendy.

The ocean view and rainbow that greeted us in the morning is simply amazing, a great balcony breakfast is a grand way to start the day. The Grotto and Mermaid beach are super afternoon relaxing spots. Polly at the Grotto gave us amazing tips on the Island. She also teaches kids classes and loves this job. Bobby makes a good drink and tasty lunch. Tad is fun to talk to and makes great drinks too at the Mermaid bar.

The resort offers golf, tennis, and water activities. I highly recommend booking a Land or Sea Cruise with Croix Boy Charters at 717-507-5883. He also offers rides behind resort on water toys. Flying High Parasail was another highlight on our trip, the resort offers. Craig also took us to the Cruzan Rum Tour and other Island hot spots we would have never found on our own.

The Martel Lounge offers a picture perfect sunset. Deanna Brown, the bartender, is an amazing person and singer, She made our evenings a joy and enjoyed her talent live on Thursday night when the lounge showcased her on the main stage. What a great asset.

We left with huge smiles on our face and a tear in our eyes. We will come again soon as the Cruzan say, what a lovely Island Resort. Thank you! Thank you!

Room Tip: Ask for an Ocean View in Main Building for amazing view of whole resort.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bellacraftella .
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Hotel on the Cay
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa
The Palms at Pelican Cove
The Palms at Pelican Cove
#2 of 14 in Christiansted

Been to The Buccaneer St Croix? Share your experiences!