“Nice people, mediocre diving”

St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures (SCUBA), Inc.
Ranked #2 of 27 Tours in Christiansted
More attraction details
Owner description: The friendliest dive shop on earth operates two dive boats, one from Christiansted and one from Frederiksted, diving all of the moored dive sites along the island's north and west shores. As a full PADI 5 Star IDC training facility SCUBA conducts all scuba dive training from Discover Scuba Diving (intro) courses through professional level.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Berkeley, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Nice people, mediocre diving”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We did several boat dives and one night dive with the SCUBA crew last month. Molly, the proprietor, and Clint, our DM for all the boat dives, were professional and friendly. They are reasonably accommodating with respect to location and interests. (And see david h's comments - we were on a couple of the same dives, and they took great care of him.)

Our favorite sites were the shallower reefs at 40-60 feet just outside the barrier reef at C'sted harbor. Visibility was pretty good and there was a decent amount to see. The wall dives out at Salt River and further west were something of a disappointment. Visibility was only fair to poor. Diving here is not as good as elsewhere in the Caribbean -- Bonaire, Grand Cayman and Turks all have more to see.

My main beef was the abbreviated route on each dive. We went with the DM on all our dives, rather than going off on our own. That seems preferable when we're someplace we haven't dived before. But Clint cut all the dives very short. We almost always got back to the boat area with over a half tank of air left. Then we'd be twiddling our thumbs in 25' for a half hour. Finally, on our last couple of dives, we went off again after signaling to Clint. It would have been better to just have a single longer route.

2 Thank Ichabod17
stcroixscuba, Staff Instructor / Dive Master at St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures (SCUBA), Inc., responded to this review, April 6, 2013
We chose to allow our Divemaster Clint, who lead these dives reply to this review.

First I would like to thank you and your wife for visiting St Croix and Diving with SCUBA. After reading your review I felt compelled to take a minute to respond. Lets talk about visibility; Prior to moving my family to St. Croix I have personally dived all the islands you mentioned and many others in the Caribbean as well as around the world. Visibility is never guaranteed anywhere and many things can affect it i.e. weather, surge, wind, seasonal sponge activity and plankton in the water to name a few. It’s unfortunate that you were disappointed but it’s all timing and acts of Mother Nature. I’ve seen visibility in St Croix that rivals anywhere I’ve dived.

As far as short dives; we at SCUBA and most reputable dive operators focus on safety first and we state in our dive briefing that the first diver to reach a “half tank” (1500 psi) is our gauge turn around and head back to the boat in order to have time for safety stops and be back on board safe and sound. Dive sites are pinned and dived because there are specific ways to navigate them to find all the really cool fishes and marine life. We had a second Divemaster in the water so that divers such as yourselves, who are better on their air can continue. Unfortunately I guess we didn't communicate that with you well enough and I apologize for that. I hope you guys will give St Croix another try sometime in the future. Compared to other locations it really is a huge bang for your buck hands down. Thank you, Clint

St Paul
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“"Recommend this outfit!"”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed on St Thomas and took a seaplane for the day so we could dive the walls at St Croix. Scheduling was easy with Ed via email.
Clint was our DM, was relaxed and professional. The BCs were new and in great condition. It was very convenient from the seaplane....short walk to the boat. They took good care of us and I was comfortable with them. We had an incredible dive on the walls with sharks, beautiful coral, and fish.

-I would use Bluewater again for sure!
-hint...be sure you take the Seaplane into Christiansted.

-you can't beat a cold beverage and fish tacos at Rumrunners afterward...right on the pier.

Visited March 2013
stcroixscuba, Owner at St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures (SCUBA), Inc., responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Christine thank you for the great review. We're delighted that you took a day out of your St. Thomas vacation to visit St. Croix and dive with us. While the diving on St. Thomas and St. John is very good, we truly feel like the diving on St. Croix is even better and here's why. The other islands are volcanic in nature and thus have flatter continental shelf type of diving. St. Croix, 42 miles south, is tectonic (formed by the shifting of the platelets of the earth) which gives us our excellent wall diving that you were able to experience.

Isn't the seaplane great? Any divers reading your review might be perplexed that you would "fly after diving" which we all know is normally a big no-no. So I'd like to point out that one of the advantages of flying the seaplane with that they'll keep the flight low to avoid those complications. Many of their pilots actually dive with us on their days off so all you have to do is let them know you've been diving and they'll take care of you.

Thanks again for diving with us and for the great review.
Lake George, New York
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Favorite Dive Shop!!”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I was certified at SCUBA almost 8 years ago and was so impressed with this shop, things haven't changed a bit they are still amazing!! My boyfriend is newly certified and I hadn't been diving in 2 years. I was nervous at first and even had some anxiety once we descended, ET was one of our DM's and she was just awesome. She calmed me down and I was able to enjoy my dives. Clint was our other DM and he was fantastic, the Captain was great too. We did 4 dives and may be doing a night dive if the weather clears up. We saw sharks at Salt River, turtle, puffer, barracuda, Queen Trigger, baby trunk fish, yellowhead jawfish, lionfish....too many awesome things to count!! If you are looking for a 1st class dive shop with fantastic customer service and great gear look no further.

Visited March 2013
stcroixscuba, Owner at St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures (SCUBA), Inc., responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Jenny it was great to welcome you back to St. Croix after originally helping you with your certification years ago. You even wrote the review while here diving with us! Sorry the weather had things stirred up a bit on the west end of the island (Frederiksted Pier) but we're delighted that it cleared up so quick, as it usually does, and you were able to do the night dive at the Pier. We firmly believe that it's one of the top ten dives on the planet, especially at night. It was great seeing you again, thanks for the review, now don't wait 7 years for your next trip.
Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“great times”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Hi there,my name is David and i am a disabled scubadiver(wheelchair).From the moment i stept off the plane i knew it was going to be a great vacation.I stayed at Holger Danske hotel,a modestly priced,clean and well equipped to any need--even wheelchair needs..The rooms are small but very comfortable and the bathrooms have well placed grab-bars,although the bathtub chair was a little scary but doable. I dove out of SCUBA(Ed&Molly's place)and it is a great place.Every body was so nice to me.I hired a private DM named Mike and he was great,very knowledgable,helpful and a fun guy,all the guys are great but Mike is my man.Can't wait to go back.........to be continuied
david h

Visited March 2013
David from the first time I (this is Ed writing this response) met you at the Texas Dive Show and the several phone conversations that we had prior to your arrival I knew we were going to have a blast diving with you. I knew that despite your handicap our crew, especially Mike, would rise to the occasion and provide you with a wonderful diving experience with us. Mike had some experience with handicapped divers but no formal training. As a result of his interaction with you he has requested that he go on to take the training offered by the Handicapped Scuba Association. We plan on making that happen for him so that we can welcome more divers like you and show them that scuba diving can truly be for everyone. Thanks again for diving with us and we really look forward to diving with you again.
3 attraction reviews
“What a great outfit, amazing diving and an awesome staff”
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Picked Ultimate based on reviews - no kidding they deserve all those stars. From the office Marcia, Kirby, and Molly to our dive masters and captains Jeff and John everyone was so friendly and willing to make this a great, fun experience. We did seven dives (4xreef,wall,wreck,and night). Special kudos to John who helped us do some unusual and challenging dives - making it a blast. If you want a dive shop on st croix, go no further!

Thank you for the great review. As you mentioned you found us in part due to the other great reviews here on TripAdvisor. It's a great service for finding out what you can really expect from a dive operator (or other service for that matter) that you can't learn from magazine or other advertising. Thanks for adding to the great reviews we have to help others find us.