“Caught the Fever”
Review of Bilinda Charters

Bilinda Charters
Ranked #3 of 27 Tours in Christiansted
More attraction details
Owner description: Private Sailing Adventures for up to six passengers! Prepare yourself for an exhilarating day on the Caribbean Sea in the East End Marine Park Sanctuary. Our 36 ft. Sailing sloop has a large shaded cockpit, a clean marine bathroom, and a well-outfitted galley. There's also a custom-built swim platform with a deep ladder so that you can easily get in and out of the water. Sail as much or as little as you like, and even take the helm yourself or just relax and unwind. We'll swim with sting rays and snorkel the barrier reef where we'll guide you to the very best coral reef habitats. This sailing excursion is perfect for couples, families, a group of friends, or small company outings. You'll love the experience of chartering a sailboat and it will undoubtedly be the best part of your vacation on St. Croix! Book us for special occasions!!
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We spent the week on St Croix exploring the island and looking at real estate. At the same time, we tried to mix a few little pleasure activities into our itenerary. Sailing was at the top of this list because we want to learn to sail. We booked a sunset sail on the ZULU with Captain Dee and knew it would be the highlight of our trip even before we stepped aboard. Dee and her 1st mate were very accomodating and thoroughly explained everything that was happening - they acutally allowed me to help hoist the main sail and take the helm of ZULU. I loved it! I caught the sailing fever. On top of all that, the beautiful St Croix sunset we witnessed while aboard was absolutely unforgetable. Now that I'm back in Atlanta, we're looking for sailing classes and opportunities to practice sailing more. We will be back to visit St Croix in the near future and we will be sailing with Captain Dee again!

Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Oh no the Sailing Fever..it is a bug that I have had amd will continue to have for a verty long time! Please keep me posted on your sailing lesson experience. It will be important for you to find a great instructor that keeps you motivated to practice even on the not so desirable days. The more varied the conditions the better you will be at the helm. Build your experience with small boats that have no engine so you really learn to use the wind to your advantage! BTW I do have info you asked about. Thank you and have a wonderful summer sailing experience.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

We love to snorkel and get a full experience when we’re on vacation. As people of moderate means, we are also conscious of costs and weigh those against the quality of our adventures. We booked two full days on Zulu with Captain Dee before landing on St. Croix. In fact, we didn’t even make our hotel and air reservations until getting the Zulu adventures confirmed! Those two days were fantastic and will figure prominently in our consideration of next places to go (do a repeat on St. Croix out on Zulu?). We have been on the “cattle call” snorkel trips. Being on Zulu with Captain Dee’s experience and hospitality is in a different league altogether. She was very responsive to our inquiries and really heard us about what our priorities were for the two days (snorkeling). At the same time, she’s such an experienced sailor and St. Croix resident, that we were able to learn some nifty things about sailing and the island (about which we knew little). In fact, I’ve come back and am now filled with tons of questions about sailing that I want to ask (guess I have to go back). To top it off, Captain Dee is a fantastic cook and we had our two best meals on the island as lunches on Zulu (and I’ve even made one of the recipes again since being back home). Donald served at the first mate and he was just great. He was our snorkeling guide, in addition to doing a lot of the sailing work. He’s a laid back guy who clearly, like Dee, enjoys what he does. He free-dived to find a bunch of sea creatures we would have missed on our own. Donald was also receptive to our agenda while in the water (hang out to see what we can versus beating tracks to cover as much ground as possible).

Would we do this again? Absolutely. No regrets. We came away feeling like these folks could be great friends. I should mention that twice before we have booked private charters on different islands. They were good trips but they weren’t this good. Why? Well, we think it’s because of Dee’s customer service (and great “sail-side manner”). Early e-mails and phone calls convinced us she was more responsive and enthusiastic than the two others we’d chartered with previously—that’s why we went for two days instead of one. Finally, the boat, Zulu, is really cool. It was our first monohull experience and we had some strong winds with lots of tacking and rolling (to leeward?) the first day out. Dee was so professional that we quickly eased into the enjoyment of the boat, the Captain and crew, the scenery and the experience. We are recommending this to friends who regularly visit St. Croix and we’ll certainly do it again.

Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

This is such a wonderful review~ even I am speechless:) Donald and I really enjoyed the two days that you spent with us because you both really "get it". It's all about being curious and open to having a postive experience. I liked the fact that you came to the island to swim, snorkel and unwind and get the most out your one week vacation.. Our mission is to make sure you have a wonderful time.
We truely appreciate that you came aboard ZULU. Come back ...new friends:)

Reviewed June 18, 2012

A friend kept telling me that My family needed to go for a sail while on vacation and that the best sailing was with Capt Dee! Both of these were true, that we needed to go sailing (great fun and very relaxing) and that Capt Dee is the best. Loved our day and her first mate treated my son like an old friend. Thanks Capt Dee....see you again soon!

Dee O, Owner at Bilinda Charters, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Thank you for writing this review. I feel that Trip Advisor is a great way to let visitors make better decisions on how to spend their hard earned dollars while on vacation.
I have 2 great mates Cole and Donald and I thank them everyday for making our guests feel safe, comfortable and part of a wonderful experience. We will see you all very soon! Thanks for supporting us..

Reviewed June 13, 2012

My family took the 1/2 day afternoon sail aboard Zulu with Capt. Dee and her first mate, Cole. They were both perfect hosts for this relaxing, yet exhilerating sailing experience. I'd never been sailing before and it was fun to see them at work. Capt. Dee turned my teenage nephew into her 2nd mate and let him pull on the ropes and steer the sailboat with her knowledgeable instruction. I snorkeled for the first time and got a real taste for it. I can hardly wait to do some more. After we snorkeled, Capt. Dee brought out homemade chicken salad, crackers, cheese, fruit and some wonderful rum punch (virgin for those who wanted it). We ended our tour in the light of the moon which was shining beautifully on the ocean surface. I cannot recommend this excursion highly enough.

Dee O, Owner at Bilinda Charters, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

Thank you my dear new friends in Salt Lake City:) I truely appreciate the time you took to write a stellar review of your experience aboard ZULU. That was a particularly interesting trip..LOL
Taking your familty out for the afternoon was our pleasure. A big thanks to your nephew that seem to really enjoy time working the deck with us. A a big hand for you for doing first sailing experince, first snorkel experience. That must make you feel good!
BTW the pepper I used in the chicken salad was a Scotch Bonnet. This are the peppers that are traditionally used to make West Indian hot sauces.
See you next year!

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Sailing with Captain Dee is a MUST DO for visitors and island residents alike! A 34-year St. Croix resident, she has intimate knowledge of the waters and the culture of the Big Island of the USVI. The boat is comfortable and seeing St. Croix from the water is breathtaking! Capt. Dee's warm, welcoming personality and sense of humor, combined with her superb sailing skills and excellent local knowledge, makes for a sailing adventure you will tell your friends about for years to come.

1  Thank Debby B
Dee O, Owner at Bilinda Charters, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2012

Wow..I thank you so much for the wonderful comments and recommendation..We really try to give thise that come aboard a sailing experience. So many visitors and guests want something special and authentic. We are reaching and stretching to make everyone feel comfortable and have a unique island sailing experience. I will always remember when i first arrived on the island. Their were many sailing sloops sailing out of historic Christiansted Harbor taking guests out for the day. The captains were fun and very experienced. I really wanted to be doing that one day:).. so here I am all these years later "living the dream"..and passing it on! Thanks for taing your time to review your experience. Hoping for nmany more!