“Lovely views, friendly wait staff, marginal food”
Review of The Mermaid

The Mermaid
Ranked #27 of 110 Restaurants in Christiansted
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We went here for lunch because my friend's aunt used to frequent this spot when she lived in St. Croix many years ago. Lovely vista of the beach and the restaurant was open on three sides so the tradewinds were nice, though the decor was dated. The beer was good, but the bar drink and food were marginal...and at the prices, that was not a pleasant surprise. Perhaps the dinner menu is better, but we "foodies" (one being a chef) were underwhelmed with our lunch. At least the local brew was good.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

During a recent visit to St. Croix with another couple, my husband and I ventured down one day to The Mermaid restaurant at The Buccaneer so that we could enjoy lunch while checking out the hotel for a future stay (we spent that particular week at a villa in the East End).

Growing up in San Francisco, I have always loved crab, lobster, oysters and fish tremendously!
Something has always stopped me from ordering mussels however (I have no idea why??). But I saw them on the menu and our absolutely delightful waitress (she was awesome!!!!) talked me into ordering them. They were AMAZING! How have I gone 52 years without ever tasting mussels?? I was sopping up the broth at the end with the bread- my bowl was clean!!

I worry that no other mussels at any other restaurant will be able to compete with The Mermaid -- especially when you add the awesome service, the gorgeous day and the fabulous outside beach experience to the mix. THANKS - we will be back!!

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Lovely beach location. We ordered lunch from the beach the food was fine but had to wait over an hour and then it was cold. Clearly the wait staff was understaffed. Not something you expect from a place that considers itself the top resort on island. We love the beach here. Maybe order service from tables.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Love the location, on the beach. This is part of The Buccaneer Resort. I normally get the mahi wrap or the lobster wrap, both are filling. Service has been hit or miss historically. Today it was excellent even with our party of 7.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

The menu and food are nothing spectacular, and the staff can be overwhelmed by the lunch crowd, but for the beautiful location and beach view, it's an ideal location for a lazy lunch. Everything is a bit more expensive given the hotel's status, but after your meal kick out along the reef at the neighboring Grotto beach for some great snorkeling.