“3 words. Irish Whiskey Lobster”
Review of Duggan's Reef

Duggan's Reef
Ranked #4 of 109 Restaurants in Christiansted
Cuisines: Caribbean, European
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

One of our favorites. The food is wonderful. The one item that is their signature dish is my favorite. Come very hungry for the best lobster dish ever. The Irish Whiskey Lobster. Yummy. Come early make reservations

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Frank Duggan, son of Massachusetts, Red Sox fan, former Viet Nam grunt in the 101st, and fly fisherman when time permits has been the purveyor of fine meals and spirits on the East End of St Croix for 31 years, 25 of which are AH, i.e., After Hugo. There aren’t many things on island that date back before Hugo, the hurricane that set the bar for modern hurricanes.

Hardly an uninterested observer, my family and I have been coming to Duggan’s since 1985 and, although staff have come and gone, the service, food and, especially, the ambience of the place retain Frank’s signature, demanding oversight. Walk out on the dock; the visual impression can’t be beat. The open-air restaurant sits on the Caribbean blue and looks out to Buck Island. The sun sets around the point over that hill on the left where the goats graze. To the right, the catamarans of the St Croix Yacht Club bob indifferently below the verdant hills of the USVI’s least appreciated island.

I have written about meals at Duggans in the past. My family will convene there for Christmas Eve supper for the thirteenth consecutive year. Seven fishes? What we may lack in quantity, we make up in quality.

Frank Duggan offers a Sunday brunch. This is also a tradition. Our first Sunday breakfast back on island is partaken there. His $3 dollar Mimosas and Bloody Mary’s are never the lite version of the full priced offerings. The wine list is varied and more than adequate if its too early for something more deliberate.

This year we counted six different offerings of Eggs Benedict, from the traditional through smoked salmon, Cruzan lobster and, the special, lamb chop benedict. Lamb chop? The picture shows the Salmon Eggs Benedict. The hardest part is getting the poached eggs and Hollandaise right. They were. Other features on the menu included standards like chicken and biscuits, bacon and eggs, steak and eggs and fresh fruit.

Business was good when we visited on the Sunday before Christmas. Sunshine highlighted the sea’s hues and tones, the wind off the water refreshed. Sally, our server for lo these many years, made sure things were right. Duggan’s is a place where memories are made. My family is very fortunate to have so many.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

We visited Duggan's last night and the food was very good but the portion sizes are enormous - really too big for reasonable people to eat. We had the Fritto misto (very good selection of fried seafood, but easily enough for four people) and then we both had entrees, blackened wahoo that came with rice plus veg and was easily enough for two people. My partner had fish and chips and was reduced to only eating half. Since we're staying in a hotel, we can't take it with us, so it was frustrating to leave so much food behind. We had nothing alcoholic to drink but spent over 70 bucks on food. I know it's hard to make a living here, but it would seem to me that if they cut their portion sizes (and their prices) they might have a busier restaurant? Good food though and I'd recommend. Just take a crowd and don't over order.

Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

We visited Duggan's twice during our St Croix visit, one of those times being for that most important meal of the year, Thanksgiving! Both occasions did not disappoint. Insanely good seafood and they nailed the Thanksgiving dinner sides.

Delectable mojitos and a refreshing cocktail called a "cherry bomb" rounded out our meals. Even the bread served before dinner was warm and tasty. Service was very friendly and attentive, we enjoyed chatting with our waitress Sally and want to thank her for an awesome dining experience!

One tip: as an open-air restaurant right on the water, be prepared for no-seeums to attack at dusk- they weren't too bad but can be a nuisance, and you can ask a waiter for bug spray if necessary. There may also be some sand on your table top or place setting, nothing a quick wipe won't fix :)

Reviewed November 13, 2013

The food here was so good! It's an open air restaurant. (The mosquitos like me so I had to put on bug spray.) I enjoyed all of the food. If you like lobster you must try the Whiskey lobster. The lobster was huge! This place is a little pricey. Expect at least $100 for 2 people, but if you are on vacation you must try this place before you leave!