“Horrible!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Duggan's Reef

Duggan's Reef
Ranked #4 of 104 Restaurants in Christiansted
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Lexington, Kentucky
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by the concierge at our hotel. She had raved about haw wonderful the lobster was and what a great atmosphere it was. My husband and I had reservations at 8pm and arrived 10 minutes early. We were seated promptly, and the host took our drink order. We received our drinks fairly quickly. Initially we thought it was going to be a good experience.....wrong. We waited over 25 minutes to be waited on. Finally, when the waitress came to take out our orders I ordered lobster as well as a lettuce salad and my husband ordered Mahi Mahi. The waitress shortly returned after taking our orders and alerted me that they were out of lobster. She then proceeded to tell me that the large party of people sitting near us had already ordered and had ordered a large amount of lobster and implied that they were priority. This comment perturbed me greatly. She gave me a menu to find something else to order. While awaiting her return, I noticed a waiter coming to the table with the large party of people taking their order; I heard many of them ordering lobster. When the waitress returned, I again asked if there was no lobster how could that large party be supplied with lobster. She proceeded to tell me that those people were locals and lived close by and had also called ahead and pre-ordered their lobster. Really????? I didn't know that being a local was a prequalification to get good service in a restaurant. Nor did I realize that I needed to call the restaurant and reserve a lobster with my name on it. I then ordered one of the fish specials she had previously mentioned. It had been over 20 minutes and I had still not received my salad. My husband spoke with the host as he walked by and alerted him that our waitress had not been by to refill our water or even ask if we wanted more drinks. He also told him that i hadn't received my salad either. He was very short and rude with us. His reply was that they were busy and only had 3 servers for the evening. Never did he apologize. He walked away and then returned shortly to tell us that the order for my salad was in the kitchen and it hadn't been made yet, and that they would get to it when they could. My husband and I then thought about simply leaving, but due to it being so late we figured it would be too late to find another restaurant. Our food finally arrived a little after 9pm. In my opinion, the food was mediocre. Again, our waitress didn't come by to refill our drinks. She had a very poor attitude and treated us as if we were a bother to her. After we had finished another waitress came to take our plates, and asked if we would like our check. We were never offered dessert (not that I would have ordered any and given them any more of my business). My husband requested our check and we left very disappointed. I would NOT recommend this restaurant. It was definitely not worth going to. Horrible experience. Poor service, poorly trained staff, unwelcoming atmosphere, and overpriced.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Oleva15

Ft Myers, FL
“Never again!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

My husband and I were recommended to this restaurant by a local shop owner in Christiansted. We were out exploring the east side of the island on 3/24/13 and drove past noting that they didn't open for dinner until 6pm (bar opened at 5pm), so we ventured to Point Udell and the Divi Casino. On our way back we stopped at Duggans at 5:57pm. We were asked if we had reservations by the maitre'd, we didn't but stopped due to the fact it was recommended. We were seated and the maitre'd got our drinks for us and told us our waitress would be right over. There were 3 tables seated when we were seated and more began filling up as we waited. After 25 minutes my husband got up and went to the maitre'd to let him know that we still hadn't seen our waitress, we were obviously forgotten about.
Our waitress finally came over and I mentioned that we had waited 25 minutes to place an order, and she gave us an attitude and was rude. They were out of lobster so my original dinner idea was scrapped, no big deal. We placed our order, I had a cup of lobster bisque (which was good, but not the best I've ever had) and the Mahi Daily catch which came with a baked potato. My husband had the mixed calamari (which was very good) and he got the Mahi as well with grilled asparagus. Order finally in. A table was seated next to us and was promptly waited on as were the other tables arriving. If it was an inconvenience to seat us, just tell us and we would have gone elsewhere. I overheard another waitress explaining the lobster shortage and when they ordered the baked potato she also informed them that they were also out of sour cream, which I was not told when I ordered my dinner.
Dinner came, mine was good, not great, my husbands Mahi was overcooked and his asparagus undercooked. Not once did anyone come over to ask how our meal was! We were being ignored!!! The maitre'd came over and cleared our plates, asking us if we wanted dessert which we declined, and then 3 minutes later our waitress showed up asking us the same thing. We paid our bill and left.
I understand island time, but while observing the restaurant while we were waiting, this was not island time but all around bad customer service!!!!! A simple I'm sorry would have been nice, not rudeness being ignored. The tables around us all had great service but not us.
We will take our business elsewhere and let everyone know never to patronize this restaurant no matter what the reviews!!!!!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
bethlehem. PA
“simply excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

there is a certain air of casual aristrocracy at duggans reef, despite the seating in walmart plastic chairs.
my friend and i had a sumptuous meal of snapper with mixed vegetables. it was among the best seafood dishes i have ever tasted. but that is what happens when you cook with real butter! despite the high quality of the meal, it was appropriately priced

Visited March 2013
Arlington, VA
“Beautiful spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We had a wonderful beach day which we followed with this terrific restaurant for dinner. It is right on the beach with a great view. It is romantic spot with good food & nice wait staff.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Stamford, Connecticut
“Consistently good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Frank Duggan has kept Duggans going through hurricanes and slow economy and the quality remains consistently good. We recently returned from St. Croix and had dinner twice while there; each time was excellent. I love fried chicken and Duggan's makes the best on the island; but, in one case I was lured into ordering the mahi and wasn't disappointed. Everyone in our party, on both occasions, left the table happy. While many good restaurants on the island have closed or changed chefs, Duggans gets it right every time.

Visited March 2013