“Best Island Tour Experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Tan Tan Tours
Ranked #15 of 53 Tours in St. Croix
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to Tan Tan Tours! St. Croix best tour operators specializing in extraordinary 4WD expeditions through St. Croix's beautiful landscape, lush rainforest, and breath-taking sceneries. Our tours are guaranteed to captivate your imagination from beginning to end. Tan Tan Tours enables adventurers to see the island in ways rarely experienced by visitors. From towering tropical forests to pristine shoreline hideaways, guests will enjoy a memorable adventure not soon forgotten.
California
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Best Island Tour Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

I went on this tour two days before leaving the island and wish I had done it sooner. Reservations are a must. This is an island tour with four wheeling. The trip is not for the light hearted. The staff is very knowledgeable about driving on extremely difficult rocky muddy terrain throughout the Island Hills. Dale was my driver for the day and he was great! On the day I went on the tour the owner and operator had his family out there so it was a very enjoyable experience with the entire Phillips family. By the end of the trip I felt like I was part of their family!!! It is a very long day so bring a lot of water and keep hydrated! You will see the most beautiful views of the eastern west part of the islands one way upon the hilltops!! You will have an opportunity to hike and wade into the tidepools. I have such a high respect for Wave and his crew. These guys are terrain experts and literally grew up in these part of the hills and subsequently decided to open up their own business. You will also learn about the history of St. Croix and its people.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank PebblesCalifornia

Farmingdale, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“After a bumpy start, a great time was had by all.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

We booked the half day tour during our stop in ST Croix on a RCCL cruise. I exchanged many e-mails back and forth with Wade prior to our arrival. The usual pick up spot for this tour is in town, about 20-30 minutes away from the pier. Wade told me they customize the tour for cruise passengers and would pick us up at the pier at 9am. Payment in advance or a credit card number was required to hold the reservation. The morning of the tour, we were waiting at the pier at 8:50am. By 9:25 I called their office and was told their was a miscommunication and the driver was waiting at the "ususal" pick up location. He was coming to get us and would be at the pier in 15 minutes. Well, it took 3 more phone calls, including one made by the tourist information desk at the pier, before someone finally showed up at 1010 am. There was no adjustment of the price due to the fact that we had lost more than an hour of our tour time, even though I showed them the email stating that they would pick us up at the pier. I was quite annoyed, but we had all really been looking foward to this tour, and decided to make the best of it.
The tour itself was soooo much fun. Definitely not for the faint of heart! The tide pools were beautiful, but I would definitely advise wearing water sandals with good support. We had flip flops, which made the climb over the slippery rocks a bit difficult. we made a quick stop at the beer drinking pigs, which was fun to see.
The tour turned out to be one of our favorites. I did feel the cost of $120 a person was a bit overpriced though...especially considering our tour got cut to three hours, but if you are looking for and exciting, adventurous tour, this one fits the bill...however if you are a cruiseship passenger I would advise having a back up plan, and do not pay in advance.

Visited November 2013
4 Thank Christine C
Greenwood, Indiana
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Fun time at the Tidal Pools”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

We came off of a RC cruise ship and booked a 1/2 day tour to the tidal pools. Richie was our guide--we requested him after reading prior reveiwes and he was great. There were 4 of us--2 kids--11 and 13. Everyone loved the 4X4 ride down to the pools. Tidal pools were beautiful--unfortunately it must have been low tide since we did not get a lot of waves over the rocks--but the ride and climb to get there were great. Also stopped at the beer drinking pigs--great pictures. We had to cut our tour a little short since we also booked a snorkeling trip in the afternoon---Richie dropped us off right at the snorkeling tour guides in Christiansted.

This is a must do if you like 4X4 rides--try to time it closer to high tide if possible. Because of our afternoon trip we were limited on when we could go to the Tidal pools.

Visited October 2013
New Jersey
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Thanks Richie!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Four of us did the 1/2 day tour - 2 adults & 2 kids - 10 & 12. We were able to all fit in one jeep with Richie as our guide. I can't imagine having a better time with anyone else. Richie was fun and informative with just enough history and humor that made it enjoyable. I must have been just the conditions the day we were there but Cane Bay was kind of murky and not as clear and beautiful as I remember. I had much bigger expectations for the tide pools as well. The day we were there the tide was low and the water was also murky - although it was fun climbing over the rocks to get to them. The steep roads were fun to travel on in the jeep and the views from some of the stops were breathtaking. The kids had not been to the Domino Club before so it was fun to introduce them to one of our favorite places! The beer drinking pigs did not disappoint and of course you must try whatever Norma is cooking that day! Don't leave without a shot of mamawanna! The little zoo was an unexpected stop - kind of comical actually with some odd animals on display! The smoothies there were fantastic though! Request Richie as your guide! You are guaranteed to have a great time!

Visited July 2013
Young, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A "Must Do" on the island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Amazing tour with just the right balance of fun and history of the island! Tide pool was wonderful. Thank you to our guide Richie for an unforgettable day!

Visited August 2013