“Liked it better than Grand Cayman” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cane Bay Dive Shop
Whitewater
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Liked it better than Grand Cayman”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

The north shore of St. Croix contains the best mix of structure, coral, fish, and sea life I have experienced. The Cane Bay Dive shop is both low key and professional. We were there during a stretch of unusually strong winds and the dive shop personnel worked hard to see that we had some good dives (6 from boats and 1 from the beach). Visibility during this period was very good, but not excellent, the result of the strong winds. Compared to dives I have made in the Bahamas, Cayman, and Hawaiian Islands, I'll take St. Croix. I have been diving for over 50 years (yes 50, and mostly cold water) and I throughly enjoyed the staff and diving.

Visited January 2013

Shreveport, Louisiana
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Technical Diving with CBDS”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

My instructor and dive buddy / co-student and I were looking for a place for our "final exam" for our Technical Diving courses that I took throughout 2012. After all the classes and open water events, it was time to go deep. We were looking for a place we could conduct our required 10 or more dives without a huge expense. A complicating factor was the required 3 - 4 hour surface interval between the dives. This would lead to expensive boat fees or necessitate shore dives where we could get deep. Cane Bay fit the bill for us.

These guys were fully able to support our needs for gasses, including tri-mix and high O2 Nitrox for decompression. Not only do they have technical divers on site, they are also beginning to offer technical diving instruction through their shop.

I have had experience with these guys from prior trips and they continue to impress me. With their excellent staff and "member of the family" atmosphere, they are the perfect dive operatior to complement the wonderful dive site lying a short surface swim from the shop.

In getting you to other locations, they also have M/V Ibis which is a great dive boat. We accomplished our requisite dives and hung around to do a few recreational dives from the boat. Had an excellent trip thanks to all that they did at CBDS. Thanks Beth, Neil, Nick, Ashley and Big Texas.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank TheShank
Kingsport, Tennessee
“8 dives with Cane Bay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

My better half and I had a great experience with Cane Bay Dive Shop from 12/31/12-1/3/13. We were new to scuba (we got our open water just for this trip, about 15 days prior to going), and between our low experience and our contacting them about arranging our dives at the very last minute, they were extremely accommodating and easy to work with. We showed up to St Croix, and Suzanne contacted us at the hotel to make sure we had arrived and give us our first day itenirary. All the staff were easy to talk to and made sure we had an enjoyable time. They took the time to help us newbies out with some good advice, great attitudes, and plenty of encouragement. We came away feeling like we had gained some good experience diving.

And the sites... They took us to two nice sites on the West Coast of St Croix on day one, then day two was Salt River (probably our favorite). Then two days off of the Cane Bay Wall, where there were numerous places to dive. We saw a lot of amazing life and my dream of seeing sharks came true pretty much every day.

We stayed at the Divi Resort on the east side of the island. That will need to be another review (not good). Honestly, if the whole St Croix trip had been Divi, I would have been ready to come home after day two. But luckily, we contacted Cane Bay Dive Shop and this crew made our trip. I wasn't ready to leave. When we return, we will be looking to stay out in the Cane Bay area to enjoy more of these good vibes and get more shore dives in. Oh yeah- talk about convenience- they are not even 100 yards away from a short swim to the Wall.

Our only regret was not having an underwater camera.

Special thanks our instructors Nick, Rick, Kim, and Aaron. And to Suzanne for helping us put it all together in the eleventh hour.

Visited January 2013
New York
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Disappointment followed by -Disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

As a diver for almost 30 years, I have never found it necessary to write a review of a dive shop, for the most part they usually are fair & competent. So I guess my experience with Cane Bay Dive Shop was a rude awakening. The reason I booked my dives with them was simple, they had a dive shop @ my hotel, the Divi @ Carina Bay. What I didn't know, was this shop had no actual dives from the hotel. Their dive shop, where they actually dive from is 45 minutes away from the hotel, which is only accessible by a rental car or cab (@ least $30 each way). Unfortunately, we had some inclement weather, & our first two days of diving were to leave from Frederiksted (F'sted) not Cane Bay. F'sted is one hour drive from the Divi, & of course an increased fee for a cab ( $ 45 each way ). For the record the diving, @ F'sted is inferior to Cane Bay.
Some of the better dive sites on St Croix are @ the Salt River, so on the 3rd dive day I was quite excited to be diving this site. Well as everyone on our dive boat reported it was a very difficult place to find on our own , adding a good half hour to my travel time as a result of no directions offered from Cane Bay Dive Shop. Once on the boat & ready to go we were told to get off the boat for it would not start. We waited almost 2 hours & were then offered boat dives in Cane Bay off one of their " zippered zodiac" inflatables as a substitute. I found these dives to be fine, but primitive, with no head or any accommodations. The problem was when I inquired when they were going to reschedule these Salt River dives, I was told that they had obligations to the cruise ships, so it was not likely to be rescheduled. Although, I was disappointed I figured I would just go with the flow, & just keep diving. The problem however the next day was that they were going to REPEAT the same two dives in F'sted I had done on the first day. They did however, offer me 2 shore dives from Cane Bay. Now I had already paid for 10 boat dives but I love to dive so I figured there would be some adjustment in my rate @ the end of the week. I also had a fleeting glimmer of hope in that they told me they would call me if boat dives were to become available, otherwise just show up @ 2pm for the shore dives. So I show up for the shore dives @ 2 pm only to be told the boat ( inflatable ) had just left & why wasn't I there @ 1:30 (because they had called me to tell me about the availability of boat dives).Well they had my cell phone number, a brand new I phone, & there was no missed calls. They said they left a message @ the hotel, but I questioned the operator & there was no record of their call; nor was the red light on my hotel phone blinking indicating there was a voice mail. I did decide @ that time I would do the shore dives that were originally offered. After the first shore dive I felt a little queasy, ( sausage for lunch-big mistake) so I decided not to push it & chose not to dive the 2nd shore dive. I inquired about the remaining dives for the week & was told they would not be diving the Salt river until Tuesday, but I was leaving Sunday.
On Saturday the day before I was leaving, I called to settle my bill. I had completed 7 of the 10 dives I had booked. I spoke with their front desk late morning & was told I would get a call back shortly. Of course, like the first time, no call came so naturally I called back & spoke to the boss,Hal. Much to my surprise he informed me that they had in fact gone to the Salt River on Saturday a.m.2 dives I could have done, but they never bothered to call me about their schedule change! He said there were no refunds. I tried to explain to him that I had booked the 10 dives but only accumulated 7 as per the aforementioned scenario. My belief, as per the circumstances was that I'd be treated fairly only to be told " no refunds".
I did enjoy the company of the dive staff & boat captains
but could not fathom this attitude in such a competitive field. I did some research after this experience & found N2 The Blue divers to be very professional.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank sandra G
Syracuse, New York
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Cane Bay Dive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

I'd always wanted to try scuba diving and this was a great company for my first experience. They offered a free intro lesson in our resorts pool so you could get accustomed to the equipment and what to do without any pressure of booking a dive. The instructor was very patient and helpful with the beginners. Equipment was checked by a staff person and our dive guide to insure it was working properly prior to our dive. Our group of 4 was just right so the instructor could "keep an eye" on all of us when we went out. He took us to places where he knew we would see tropical fish, turtles and coral. I had a great time and am looking forward to doing it again with Cane Bay Dives when I return.

Visited June 2012