“Better than expected”

Sweet Bottom Dive Center
Ranked #3 of 53 Tours in St. Croix
More attraction details
Owner description: Sweet Bottom Dive Center offers World Class Diving on St. Croix. With our home base located at the Renassiance St. Croix Carambola Resort; we have the perfect house reef known as the Davis Bay Wall, only 100 yards away. We are known for our high quality customer service, high end rental equipment, and safety record. We offer guided shore diving, guided boat diving, technical diving, and snorkeling along the wonderful island of St. Croix. Come and SEA us on your next visit to the USVI!
Coopersville, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Better than expected”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Yesterday, Jan. 30, 2014, I took 3 of my 5 boys (ages 14, 12, and 10) to Sweet Bottom Dive Center at the Carambola Resort on the West end of St. Croix for the Intro to Scuba class. My other two boys were too young (10 years old minimum). We had been snorkeling a few times before we visited Sweet Bottom. We are not staying at the resort, just popping in now and then for lunch, Friday night party, etc. We had no scuba experience whatsoever. The Intro to Scuba was designed for people like us. The cost was $90 per person, which included a sit down lesson for about 30 minutes, about 45 minutes in the pool, then about 30 minutes in the open water. The whole thing would take about 2 1/2 hours. Sweet Bottom said that if, after the pool section, we didn't feel comfortable, they wouldn't charge the full $90, only $30, I think. They also explained that they would have 1 on 1 in the open water. We decided to give it a try, called to schedule and they got us in two days later. They had to make sure four instructors were available. We arrived a 15 minutes early to start the paperwork, which consisted of a medical questionnaire, personal information, and waivers. If you have any medical conditions, or even have a cold, you have to get a doctor to sign off (which they do not do). Also, if you are flying within 12 hours, you can't dive. I would just tell them up front, while you are scheduling, any concerns you have.

My 12 year old was a little apprehensive, but with the option of opting out after the pool, he decided to give it a try. The staff was incredibly friendly. The class portion is very simple. My 10 year old grasped everything. Then you get fitted with a mask, fins, wet suit, and vest with a tank. The vest and tank are heavier than you think. My boys are in shape and handled them with no problems. (The have smaller tanks for the smaller kids). We spent about 45 minutes in the pool, where we learned how to find your regulator (mouthpiece) should you lose it, how to clear your mask, how to equalize, etc. then a few tasks, to make sure everyone was comfortable. Then out to the open water. My 12 year old was still a little concerned, but after Sweet Bottom made it so easy, he decided to give it a try. I told him that if he gets out there and still isn't comfortable, then just stay at the top. The water was a little rough out front of the Carambola, so they took us a couple miles east to Cane Bay. This was a nice touch, they wanted to make sure we had the best experience.

Well, so much for 12 year old's fears. All three boys took to it like nothing. I was the one holding them back. We dove in 37 feet of water for 31 minutes. The reef and fish were better than I expected. The instructors went above and beyond to make sure we all felt comfortable, and pointed out cool things. We got great video with a go-pro. All the boys want to get certified. This alone tells you how great Sweet Bottom did. I would highly recommend them to anyone who wants to experience Scuba diving.

5 Thank Dougm5555

pittsburgh
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Awesome Dives!!”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I have been diving for 30 years and Sweet Bottom Dive Center provided me with a wonderful experience with the "Wall" at Davis and Cane Bay. Kalyn, Warren and Bob were excellent dive masters as they took me personally on 6 great shore dives. It was a spectacular experience. The owners Mel and Greg were outstanding in their service and equipment and having a dive shop located on site at a beautiful resort makes for a perfect vacation!

Frederiksted, VI
“Safe and beautiful dive experience!!”
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I received our open water dive certification at Sweet Bottom and loved it. We both had panic moments and thought we didn't want to do anymore and Greg, our instructor, was so calm and professional and encouraged us and calmed us down. They are so wonderful, patient, and truly want you to fall in love with diving. They make safety a priority and make sure you're comfortable with all the skills. We would highly recommend them and will go back to further our training. You also have access to dive the wall and can access it right from the shore!

Wilmington, North Carolina
“Best trip yet!”
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

My two tank dive with Matt was the highlight of my recent trip to beautiful St. Croix. The professional attention and high level of safety will have me returning to Sweet Bottom ASAP! The entire Sweet Bottom Dive crew were welcoming and the location is superb. I have done dives in Honduras, Turks and Caicos and numerous "stateside" locations. Top notch equipment, amazing sea life, excellent prices, and great staff made this my best dive experience ever.

Alexandria, Virginia
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Dive with Sweet Bottom!”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Mel, Greg and all the staff at SBDC are awesome! They made our daughter's first dive experience exceptional and she is ready to go back and get her full certification. They were organized, very fairly priced and had everything you might need if you forgot something. My husband especially liked the ability to fully clean his gear after each dive and then the guest storage locker to keep everything during our 10 day stay.
Beach dives were on site and they have a set up/tear down area by the dive site with a shower to rinse off after you come out of the water. They take your equipment via golf cart to the beach.
My husband got his Advanced Open water cert while we were there and said they were excellent in the instruction and safety during the various dives.

If you want to dive while in St Croix this is the place to do it!

Visited December 2013