“A Fun and Interesting Experience”

Paul and Jill's Equestrian Stables
More attraction details
Owner description: Take a guided horseback ride through the rain forest, past Danish ruins, along beautiful white sand beach with palm trees and spectacular vibrant blues of the sea, while discovering a wide palette of tropical sights and sounds from kapok trees, tarzan vines and wild bromilliads to gigantic termite nests and tame honey bee hives.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Fun and Interesting Experience”
Reviewed April 12, 2010

The horses are very well trained, and there are some suitable for most ages and skill levels. On the trail you may wish to trot/canter at times. You will have a great photo opportunity on the beach during the trail ride. Jill makes the ride interesting and fun, and provides lots of insight of the history/details of the nature in the rainforest. The ideal time to go is in the summer when fruits are ripening up, and you may be able to taste mangos, etc in her garden. I had a fun time although I went in the spring. Paul and Jill are some great folks. I called the day before our ride to try and fit it in with our visit because we didnt know exactly what we wanted to do, but they were glad to help us out and let us go.

1 Thank ksteut1

Upstate New York
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“A wonderful way to see a different side of St. Croix”
Reviewed April 3, 2010

Paul and Jill's Equestrian Stables are a great mom and pop-run attraction on the west side of the island of St. Croix. There you can look at baobob trees, mountains, sugar mill ruins, and various critters, all from the vantage point of being on top of a horse! It's a great way to experience nature on the island. Most of the tour is spent on a relaxing meander in an honest to goodness St. Croix rainforest, coming out onto the beach for photographs before returning back on a different route. I've virtually no experience on a horse, but they saddled me up with Mr. MacGregor, just right for my size and level of expertise. Jill's family has been on the island for generations; Paul is the transplant from the mainland. Jill is an excellent guide, knowledgeable about just about everything people in our little group asked, while Paul runs things "behind the scenes". Between them they can tell you just about anything you might want to know about the island, and their repartee back and forth with each other is pretty funny in and of itself. They've designed their trail rides so that it's interesting for both adults and children too, if present. Upon our return we were treated to a sampling of some delicious tropical juices. When you need a break from looking at sand, water and people, or even if you don't, go to Paul and Jill's.

2 Thank GrandU
Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“An Incredible Journey!”
Reviewed March 22, 2010

Our trip to St. Croix: March 1-6, 2010
My husband and I want to highly recommend adding Paul and Jill's Equestrian Stables to the "need to do" list during a peaceful stay in St. Croix. We found Paul and Jill to be extremely wonderful people. Upon arrival, Jill introduced us to her many furry friends and we fell in love with each and every one. The lush greenery and flowering vines surrounding the stables are amazing.
I have ridden horses all of my life. My husband however, is not an experienced rider. We have horses of our own and he is an excellent barnkeeper! When i spoke with Jill to make our reservations she assured me he would be comfortable on Fritz. I had full confidence in her when I met Fritz, he was a sweetheart! He had a blast and was so relaxed during the entire ride. Bucky was the horse I rode. He was named Bucky for his color which is buckskin. I had fun jogging him through the trails. Jill is very knowledgeable and describes each tree and vine in the rainforest. She will take time to take pictures of you and your group. This horseback tour is a must!
We enjoyed meeting and spending time with Paul and Jill and their entire farm. I hope everyone finds this review helpful and when you visit their stables be sure to tell everyone hi for us!

3 Thank yotagirl96
Palm Coast, FL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Such Fun!”
Reviewed February 25, 2010

I called the day before and still was able to schedule an afternoon ride. Paul asked about height and weight to match me up with the right size horse and so I had to be honest... though it was hard! On the day of the ride the temperature was moderate and the weather was lovely.

We were all given some sweet feed for our horses to make us comfortable with them, and them with us. My horse gobbled up every grain. I had "McGregor "and he was a beautiful large horse. Jill said they'd raised him from birth, so knew all his antics. He was well behaved for me and easy to control. Paul spoke to each of us going on the ride, making sure we remembered our horse's name and that we were comfortable with them. McGregor was so tall it was hard for me to mount him, even with the mounting block, but Paul gave me a hand and I did it!

On the ride Jill had an electronic device that enhanced her voice so that we could all hear her as she described the flora and fauna and told us about the history of the area and the ruins we passed.. It was facinating! Meg brought up the end of the line also describing the scenery so that no one missed out...or was lost. They both watched out for us and insured we had a safe ride.

There were a few opportunities to trot and to canter if we wanted to do it. One or the other stayed with those who choose to go slower so we always felt secure. We were also provided with saddlebags to hold beverages or cameras, so these wouldn't be lost.

We had to cross a road to get to the beach; Paul was out there when we got to it to insure that any traffic stopped so we could safely cross. Then Jill offered to take pictures of each of us with the ocean as a backdrop so we'd have a record of our wonderful ride.

It was when we returned to the sableyard that I realized I'd lost my prescription sunglasses. Like a fool I'd hooked them onto the front of my shirt, never thinking about them bouncing off. But Jill was so kind as to ride back to the first spot where we'd trotted. Luckily they were there and undamaged!

Paul and Jill (and McGregor) made it a fun experience and a great ride!

1 Thank red32164
st croix
“Paul & Jill's horseback riding”
Reviewed September 30, 2009

I was expecting the normal trail ride experience where you ride horses that won't or can't do more than a slow walk in a line. My daughter and I went to Paul and Jill's and were guided by Jill on a great trail ride. We started out through the rain forest, then down to the beach for photo ops and returned on a different route through the rain forest. The horses got a little frisky at times and we trotted and cantered. My horse, Mr. McGregor, even decided to jump over a very small stream crossing the road. The trail ride under Jill's guidance was great, but at the end she took us on a tour through her orchard. We picked, sampled, and kept many varieties of local fruits that were absolutely delicious. Jill was a wonderful, most gracious hostess. I had many great experiences on St. Croix, but I would without a doubt, recommend a visit to Paul and Jill's for those that enjoy horseback rides.