WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in St. Croix
St. Thomas
“A Little Bit of Heaven on Earth!!!!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

I had the opportunity to stay at this awesome resort for a weekend. I must say that it is one of the most beautiful properties that I have visited! The area is quite remote and there is nothing for miles--great for rest and relaxation. The rooms are very nice and the bed is super comfortable --so comfortable that you just want to stay in it all day! There are two tvs, a sitting area, kitchenette and a lovely screened in porch. The a/c works perfectly and can be adjusted to your liking. The weekend buffet was wonderful. There was a large variety of food that tasted like it was prepared with a lot of care. The pool and beach are also major attractions. This hotel is perfect and I really hate to leave. I will find a reason to return in the very near future!! Believe that!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Nancy W, Director of Sales at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Well it looks like your just a hop, skip and jump away from us..so I do hope you will be a frequent visitor. Glad to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
overland park, ks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

Having been here before, I decided to bring my husband back for a much needed vacation. I appreciated the phone call before we left asking me what they could do for us to make our stay better. Christine, the concierge, granted my wish perfectly! The property is well-maintained and quiet. Our room was clean and comfortable. We rented a Jeep as it is easy to get around the island by car. The hotel is remote, so a car is necessary. The beach is a little rocky on the east end, but much better on the west side. We enjoyed our week and will more than likely return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello and thank you for your review...short and sweet!! I was so happy to hear that our Renaissance 'Navigator" Cristine Cruz contacted you prior to arrival to see how she could enhance your trip...she is terrific and we always receive compliments about her. I hope you will visit again when you have a chance.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

If you're expecting a higher level of service based on Marriott Rewards, think again.

Only King beds with sleeper sofas, however our room had no bedding for sofa. After multiple requests for bedding we finally put our 17 yr old in bed with us. Bedding showed up just before 11 pm.

Beach is beautiful though.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dalefisherstj
Nancy W, Director of Sales at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Hi,
Thanks for letting us know of your recent experience with us. I apologize that you didn't receive proper bedding for the sleeper sofa in a timely manner. No excuse for that. I hope your 17 year old didn't mind sharing the bed with you!

We actually aren't a time share resort as you mentioned. We only use 1 of buildings as a timeshare exchange, (6 rooms), but the resort is a full service resort.

Again, sorry your stay was less than you expected. I hope you will visit other Renaissance and Marriott properties in the future.

Nancy W,
Conroe, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

We stayed here last year, Room 135. Awesome! Stayed here again this year in Room 136. Even better! The staff is so welcoming and the resort is so clean and in good repair. If something needs attention, expect it very soon. The only Con I can think of is the lack of lighting in the rooms. Even with all lights and fans on an shutters open, there isn't enough light to apply makeup in the bathroom or cook in the tiny kitchen. We bought stick up lights at K-Mart for the kitchen is was so dim! Very comfy bed, and breezy patio. We only had a table and one chair but we ate out on the patio when we could. Would recommend!

Room Tip: Pod 13, rooms 135, 136, 137. Upstairs has open beam wood ceiling and better breeze, less foot traff...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Rooms
2 Thank ftloos
Nancy W, Director of Sales at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
And what room will you have next year?? Thanks for you great comments. You might want to try the other side of the property and see if some of the rooms are a bit lighter. Our Deluxe Beachfront rooms are right on the beach and tend to have more light. But either way, we look forward to your next visit!

Battle Creek, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

The resort was literally at the end of the road and the view was spectacular. It was the perfect home base for my husband and I to celebrate our 20th anniversary. The beach was never busy with plenty of chairs. There aren't any umbrellas but we were able to chase the shade from the palm trees when we wanted a reprieve. The property is situated in its own private cove. Just beautiful! The room was large with a sitting area, kitchenette, large bathroom, sleeping area and screened in porch. We LOVED room 56 as the building was close to the water (not swimming beach), secluded (east end), on the second floor and ocean front. We were so happy they could upgrade us to ocean front as we were initially booked in garden view. The staff was quite friendly and helpful, but overall, the service is not like you would find at a Renaissance property on the mainland. For example, our room was never made up consistently any of the 8 days we were there. We requested extra towels and sometimes were actually shorted washcloths. Frequently we were only left shampoo and not conditioner. We requested rugs beside the bed and they did not arrive for 2 days. None of these factors influenced our stay significantly but were just rather quirky. Unless you plan to only eat on property and sit on the beach or at the pool, renting a vehicle is a must! We were so glad we did as we were able to travel all over the island and visit some very secluded beaches. Driving on the left side of the road was a transition, but didn't take long. Buy groceries from Plaza Extra. Eat at Eat @ Cane Bay and Rowdy Joes. Loved our stay and hope to visit this lovely island another time soon. I would not partake in the Friday buffet again. The food was good buy very pricey. You can eat at the hotel bar and still enjoy the entertainment.

Room Tip: Rooms on the East end are more secluded. Second floor rooms have vaulted ceilings.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mermaid_at_Heart2014
Nancy W, Director of Sales at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with! Glad to hear you were in love with the hotel and island. Sorry to hear that the housekeeping was less than consistent though. It is very nice to have a car to explore the island as you mentioned and we do have several great eateries within 3 miles of the island. Did you indulge in the homemade ice cream at Rowdy Joes??!!

Room 56 is awaiting your return!

Nancy Williams
Castle Pines, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

We chose this resort because it had a dive shop on site, decent reviews, and was a Marriott property. My husband and I loved the location -- it was nice to be secluded. However, we did have a rental car so we were still able to explore the whole island. The grounds were beautiful and the staff was warm and friendly. We really liked the rooms -- huge with high ceilings and a screened in patio. We ate on site a few times and found the food to be just fine if you needed a quick bite. Our only complaint was the lack of hot water in our room. This might not be an issue for most travelers because it is, after all, the tropics! However, we are scuba divers and often come home chilled to the bone after a deep dive. The shower never got more than lukewarm. We had staff come work on it but no one could solve the problem. My husband thinks there was some kind of restrictor on our individual shower because the sink water would get scalding hot. (And yes, I did put my freezing cold feet in the sink!) We found it ridiculous that we couldn't get hot water at a supposed "resort and spa." Our other issue was that the scuba diving near the resort was subpar so we had to go offsite to do all of our diving anyway.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Anchored
Thanks for leaving such a nice review for us. Sounds like you had a great stay and will one of our many return customers! We look forward to welcoming you back!

Oskaloosa, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

My wife and I stayed here June of 2014. We were using points which normally puts you with a garden view. We were upgraded, I assume sue to Marriott status, to a beach front on the west end of the resort. We loved this as it was close to the swimming beach. The only issue we had was our safe was missing when we arrived but that was taken care of by 8:00 AM the next morning. We found the staff to be friendly and the concierge very helpful on traveling the island. We did rent a Jeep from Centerline and I recomend them hightly. I also recomend renting a vehicle if you want to explore. As stated by almost everyone the resort is very remote. I recomend exploring this island as it is very interesting to see all of it and explore some of the more remote beaches. If you are going to dive I highly recomend Sweet Bottom on the resort. I already gave them my thumbs up on another Trip Advisor post. I plan to go back in the future. Hope you have the same experience we did. If you are going to be there Friday night I would do the Pirates Buffet. Not sure why it is called that but the food was great and plentiful and watching the Moko Jumbies was fun.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple