“Most Amazing Hotel on the Island.”

Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in St. Croix
Palm Coast, Florida
“Most Amazing Hotel on the Island.”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I have been visiting St. Croix for 7 years and have stayed in all the top rated hotels and villas on the island. The Renaissance Carambola is by far the most comfortable and upgraded resort of them all. The staff could not be friendlier, from the gentleman that met us in the parking lot to help with our bags, to the waitress, housekeeping, and reception staff that helped us with our wi-fi, We loved all the new renovations at the pool, and the rooms were as beautiful as they were comfortable, especially the screen room off our suite. The refrigerator, microwave, and free coffee made it feel more like a little guest cottage than just a hotel room. The reception area was beautiful, and we enjoyed our breakfast on the terrace overlooking the ocean. It really is not as isolated as some people say because there were several good restaurants with in a 5 min. drive. This end of the Island is so lush that it is exactly what you go to the Caribbean for. Can't wait to go back! Thanks for a wonderful time and all your efforts.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where the screen room faces the ocean.
5 Thank HRHPJ
Nancy W, Director of Sales at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Wow! What a delightful review...this is the best reward ever. Perception is reality!
Happy to hear you will be returning to visit us again.
Thanks again for taking the time to write such a nice review...it means a lot to have everyone's contribution recognized.

Warmly,
Nancy Williams
Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed April 25, 2014

I loved the location of this hotel because it was secluded from everything. The rooms were gorgeous. My only complaint - if you can call it that - is that you had to actually walk around the building to get on the beach.We had a lovely screen porch directly on the beach, but no beach access from there. Also, our door stuck on several occasions, making it difficult to enter the room at times. The staff were friendly enough. We were unable to check in early due to a conference being held, and when we returned to check in, much of my personal information was incorrect. I booked through a third party, though, so I cannot hold them solely responsible. It was resolved quickly and without further issue. They even called the room to see if we were satisfied and if we needed anything. I requested ice, and was told it would be sent immediately. By the time we left the room 3 hours later, it had not arrived. There is a fridge and a freezer with an ice tray - though the tray was empty so the service requested would have been nice. We ate at the restaurant once. It was ok. The pool was nice - the hot tub, however, was lukewarm at best.

As a side note - I don't tend to complain when I have an issue with something. I have no doubt that all of my concerns (the ice, the door, the hot tub) would have been addressed if I simply picked up the phone or alerted staff. To me it's just not worth the hassle - mine or theirs.

We had a rental car - which i feel is a must if you are staying here...unless you truly want to be away from it all. Driving around the island is fairly simple and worth it for at least a day or two. We hiked to the tide pools directly from the resort. It wasn't overly challenging and a great, inexpensive (free) way to spend a few hours. The beach is beautiful and the snorkeling isn't half bad. My husband saw a stingray. i only saw some coral and fish before i was attacked by a swarm of jellyfish - ok - not attacked, but they surrounded me and i panicked and chose to enjoy the ocean from the sand from that point on ;0) The sunsets over the mountain were so pretty. Overall, the grounds and the rooms were just perfect and I wish we had more time than the 3 days spent there.

2 Thank djenah79
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed April 25, 2014

The property is well kept and staff friendly. The staff at the front desk will make you feel welcome. Brenda is exceptional with her service and leadership example. Brenda and her co-workers will go out of their way to ensure that you have a pleasant experience.
The food has been delicious.
As a business traveler, I know the difference between a well run/maintained hotel and one that is not. Having a choice of hotels locations, I have been a repeat guest and look forward to the next stay.

Room Tip: Some rooms are close to the beach. I like sleeping to the sound of breaking waves. If you prefer, as...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank ljsyr1
Westfield, Indiana
Reviewed April 23, 2014

For our 10 year anniversary, we visited St. Croix and stayed at the Renaissance since we are pretty brand loyal to Marriott. The resort did not disappoint as there are rain forest views to the south of the property and ocean front to the north. Private beach access though the terrain is fairly rocky on entry. The rooms are situated in a way that you feel very secluded so you can completely unwind. You will need a car when visiting if you want to visit anything off property as the closest places are 15 minutes away. However, we really liked this aspect so we could get out and explore. Eating onsite is expensive but all rooms have a kitchenette so you can load up on snacks and drinks from local grocery stores. Also, keep in mind that all things function on island time so nothing goes quickly. We would definitely stay if traveling back to the island.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms have vaulted ceilings creating a spacious room.
2 Thank Mike P
Rochester, New York
Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband and two teenage daughters and I just returned from a weeklong trip- we would return in a heartbeat!!!! I cannot believe some of the negative reviews. We found the staff and the property to be wonderful! We had excellent service at the registration from all staff members, especially Pearl. After being served rum punch we were offered golf cart service to our rooms. The staff helped load our bags and all of the groceries we had purchased along the way. We had two beachfront rooms. One was booked on points as an island view and the resort upgraded the room to beachfront to be near our other room . I am not sure if this is because we have Marriott Gold status. The rooms were literally about 30 steps from the beach! I would definitely recommend the beachfront rooms if you spend most of your time on the beach- very convenient- but I am sure all of the rooms were nice. Each room had a great screened in porch. The rooms were very nice and spacious. The beach was beautiful, the water was warm, and the surf was fun to swim in. We never had a problem finding beach or pool chairs at any time of day. There was often an attendant at a little beach bar stand - you could order drinks from the bar, or purchase beer, water, or soda right there. However, being so close to our room we could also run in for drinks. We enjoyed the hike to the tidal pools- we went twice! The first 5-10 minutes were the hardest- wear good shoes. We only ate the restaurant at the hotel twice. The first night was at the regular restaurant, and it was ok. We much preferred taking the car 5 minutes down the road to Rowdy Joes, Above the Cliff, and Eat @ Cane Bay. All of these were amazing! The second time we ate at the hotel was for the Friday night Pirate Buffett. It was very pricey, but the food was great, and we requested outdoor seating and had a front row view of the fire dancing gypsies and the Moko Jumbies that performed that night. Amazing performers. My husband and daughter did the scuba class / dive with Sweet Bottom. They raved about it! We also went horseback riding with Cowboy Steve- great experience- and had a lot of fun on the half day snorkel trip to Buck Island on the Big Beard charter. All in all, this was a wonderful, wonderful place to stay. Our kids loved it. There were quite a few families when we were there., as well as couples, groups of friends on diving trips, and even a small wedding party. Last year we stayed at Scrub Island in the BVI- a category 8. While this is hotel is a category 6 Marriott, we had just as good of a time, and were very impressed with the accommodations , staff, and natural beauty of the island. We will be back!

Room Tip: We had rooms 265 and 266- great beachfront location all the way on the end of the property!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Rohr239
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 22, 2014

My Husband and I went here for our 1 year anniversary. We were looking for a quiet place to relax and this was perfect. The beach was beautiful and clean. The women working the front desk were very helpful as well as the pool cabana girl but the rest of the staff was on island time (we didn't mind as we weren't in a hurry). I would recommend renting a car if you don't want to be too isolated. We loved eating around town and exploring the island. I am not sure i would have enjoyed staying on the resort the whole time. We went in September (the off season) so it was pretty dead on the island which made the resort a little spooky at night because there were so few guests staying. I wouldn't recommend this hotel in the off season for families but it's great for couples just looking to relax.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KatieNass
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Save your money as I would not advise booking your vacation here. The service is horrible! Just returned a few days ago, and would not return to this hotel. It's as though the staff have no training whatsoever. It takes forever to get your meal, to get ice, to get a valet for your luggage. Not indicative of a higher star rated hotel. Sadly disappointed!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lynn G
Nancy W, Director of Sales at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Hi Lynn,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us of your less than stellar visit to our resort. The staff is having a meeting right now to review your comments and find out how we could have fallen so short of the expected service level. The training for our staff is on-going and we generally get excellent feedback, but I appreciate that your experience was not good and on behalf of the entire staff I humbly apologize as there is no excuse for so many service issues.
I hope you will consider trying another Marriott or Renaissance property if you do travel to the Caribbean again. We have fantastic properties on many other islands including St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Cayman and Aruba. If you should decide to pay us another visit...pls. reach out to me and I would be delighted to assist in making sure you have a perfect stay.
Warmly,