“Will never go back.”

Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in St. Croix
Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

Me and my now Fiancé, stayed our thanksgiving week here & I have to say it is a beautiful place! But there were SO many things wrong that we will never go back!

1- upon checking in we were charged $1300 (even though we paid in full prior to the trip) because their information was wrong! We spent our first evening there on the phone with Chase bank fixing the issue & they "ran" out of all their welcome drinks.

2- Tide Pool Hike- don't ever so this hike!!! We are very athletic people and this is for experienced people only. I had mud and ants ALL over me! It was so bad we didn't even make it there, we turned around!

3- there is NO ENTERTAINMENT at this resort AT ALL. No live music, no activities, and their bar closes at 11! And nothing opens until 10 am!! There isn't anyone to bring you drinks to the beach or pool, so you have to walk up to the bar each time (&its a hike sometimes) It was such a boring stay we had to take taxis everywhere & that got ridiculously expensive.

4- the front desk ladies are highly incompetent! We TRIED to get reservations for dinner, taxi reservations, reservations for boat rides and reservations for kayak tours. Every time we asked she said "yes, we are good to go" AND EVERY FREAKING TIME we NEVER had reservations & taxis would always have to be called!!

5- the "noseeums" on the beach. They're basically beach fleas! Sting you like a mosquito but look like a flea! By the time I was home I was COVERED in bug bites and they itch like crazy!!!

6- The Staff. They Literally act like they hate all vacationers. Most of the local people seem very racist (against whites) and act like we are idiots! We asked if we could change the music at the bar (it was always on Christmas music or classical?)
And the bartender replied "yeah we can change it to jimmy buffet, but it makes me wanna blow my head off.." WTF??? It's the Carribean!! The staff doesn't care how much you paid for you're stay, they hate you being there.

This property is incredibly beautiful, but after going through one thing, after another, and another I will never go back!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jenna d
Nancy W, Director of Sales at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Your review was quite shocking and after discussing it with our mangement team we would only like to respond to number 6 on your list of items. We take great exception to your shocking comment that our staff are racist and hate white people. This could not be farther from the truth. Our staff interacts with guests from all over the globe and are consistently welcoming and warm. Based on the tone of your comments, maybe the reactions you received were based on how you treated our staff.

Obviously we were not a good fit for you and your fiance. We pride ourselves on our pristine, lush location at the base of a rainforest and generally receive outstanding reviews and a very high rate of return guests.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

First let me say that I base my review on usually staying at high end resorts (Ritz Carlton ad JW Marriotts preferred), so I was vastly dissapointed iwth the Marriot Frenchmans Reef last year. This year we took another chance, and it paid huge dividends. this resort is far from perfect, but I will say it is a real gem if you are looking for a laid back resort with fabulous views, solid accomodations and fabulous staff. First, the location is VERY remote, so if you like peaceful, quiet and remote this is your place. Second, the staff is phenominal (Shout out to Pablo in the restaurant -- a great guy --terrific staffer). We never needed for any answers, and the staff was continuously asking if they could help. Third, the room. I am always suspect of rooms (even with photos) and while it did show some signs of wear, it was 90% great. High celings, solid furniture and huge bathroom with a good sized screened porch with benches to lay and read. The buildings are segmented in pods of 6--the buildings are not glamorous, but the room decor was a solid 7 out of 10. My only complaint was the floor which showed soe real wear, but not enough to be a bother. Fourth, the beach is long and clean with breathtaking views and plenty of lounge chairs. Again, the ammenities were "good", would have liked to maybe see some paddle boards or kayaks but otherwise, good area. Lastly, the food. We ate at the hotel at least once a day and never had a bad meal. Specifically, the Mahi in the evening and the beat and carrots salad-both were outstanding! Overall, I would rate this place a 4 out of 5 and would definately come back--just know that it is very remote, as in 3-4 miles from any other place and a good 20 minutes + to either city.

Room Tip: The beachfront rooms are great they have small kitchens (we went ot hte local store and bought break...
6  Thank Bostonian21
Nancy W, Director of Sales at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Sounds like YOU'RE a real Gem! Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. Everyones perception is subjective and it sounds like we were a good fit for you and what you were looking for. I hope you will visit us again!

Warm regards and Happy New Year!
Nancy Williams
Director of Sales

Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed in one of the rooms toward the west end of the beach with a view of the ocean. The rooms are spacious and we loved the screened in porch. While being at the end resulted in a walk back to the restaurant, we were only steps away from the swimming area of the beach. The service was outstanding. We would definitely like to return.

This was our first time to St. Croix although we've been to the other Virgin Islands. St. Croix was charming and less commercial than St. Thomas. The resort is on the North side of the island and a little bit away from the little town of Christiansted. We decided to rent a jeep and were very happy that we did. It made getting around to the various activities easy. The Cruzan rum factory, downtown Christiansted, snorkeling Buck Island, and Rowdy Joe's restaurant are all must dos.

The room has a kitchen area and we bought some food from a food store and made our own breakfast just as a break from the same restaurant every day, but the onsite restaurant is very good as well. We ate there quite a few times.

A very relaxing and enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: The west end of the beach is where the swimming are is. If you plan to swim / snorkel off the beach...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DavenBethinMD
Reviewed December 2, 2013

If you are like me and read through tons of reviews while planning, many on this thread can make you nervous. I kept reading about non-upgraded vs. upgraded rooms etc. and since my husband and I booked through a third party I became nervous our "ocean view' room wouldn't be what I had hoped for. I called and confirmed that those are old and the rooms are now all updated. I was very pleasantly surprised… when we arrived we were given a beachfront bottom level, prime location for an amazing rate. I'd highly recommend reserving a beachfront room if possible. Wi-Fi worked well, room service (breakfast) was prompt, bathroom products are Aveda (love), water pressure and temp great in the showers and the beach is awesome. We came for scuba diving and did a few with Sweetbottom on site and a few with N2theBlue on the west side since the visibility was terrible on the north shore while we were there. The wall is awesome for diving in front of the hotel but we just picked a bad time with visibility and couldn't do a lot of what we wanted to do. The West side though (pier dive etc.) were much clearer though and I can't recommend N2theBlue (Jenny especially) enough, they are a topnotch dive operator. The hotel is out of the way, yes…and this is exactly why we chose it (the island isn't huge…get a convertible jeep like we did and you will enjoy the short drives) the beautiful views and cliffs meets the ocean atmosphere of this place is well worth the little bit out of the way IMO and it makes for a more exclusive, romantic experience if that is what you are going for (we were). The staff is wonderful, really charming and accommodating. We only ate at the restaurant once for lunch and found it so slow that we didn't return. If you don't mind chilling and socializing on island time it may not be bad but we had a dull schedule with diving etc. so we hit the market and frequented some of the close by restaurants in Cayne Bay. Food is pricey on the island and overall we never found a restaurant we were crazy about (although Waves had a great view, good service and pretty good fresh lobster). Overall I am so glad we chose this place to stay over the very other more typical looking places. The view driving in makes you say 'wow' and the privacy is a total plus. I did not get a chance to use the spa as it rained a lot while we were there and they were booked solid. I would make some reservations in advance if that is something you may like to do. P.S. for a total blast, ride horses with Stephen (Eqqus St. Croix) …he takes you in the ocean with them and is such a fun person to spend a few hours with.

7  Thank Luv2Travel12345_10
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This was a wonderful place to stay. We stayed in an ocean view room, they are very accurate about that. Our deluxe room was very nice, it had a full kitchen, a nice screened in porch where we could relax and watch the sun rise. The beach was very clean, and well maintained. The staff are very friendly and helpful with all of your needs.
The only thing I suggest is not to eat at the resort, for all your meals we went to town and tried all the local cuisine!

Reviewed November 27, 2013

I had never been to St. Croix when I was called at the last minute for a business trip. I picked the Renaissance Carambola because my customer's recommended property (The Buccaneer) was booked and because the Renaissance is a Marriott property. Yep, it's all about the points.

The location was the Renaissance St. Croix was not really ideal because of its isolation, but depending on your reason for travel, this could actually be a plus for you. The beach was not terribly deep, but it spread along the length of the resort and certainly never looked crowded. I did note that the management encourages you to avoid the east end of the beach because of sea urchins.

The staff was generally quite friendly, though I was so completely overlooked at breakfast one morning that I literally had to flag somebody down to bring me my bill for the buffet. The buffet was remarkably expensive, though it had a good variety of choices.

There is one dinner restaurant and bar on the property, and the menu there is somewhat limited. Fortunately, there are some restaurants a short drive away along the North Shore road.

I liked the room. It has a lofted, dark wood ceiling that contrasted with the generally pale colors below. It was an exotic look. Also exotic was the most unusual shower I have ever seen in a hotel room. Other reviewers have probably mentioned this, but the sloping lofted ceiling slopes down into the shower, which is a long space ending in a high window. Most unusual, but perfectly serviceable. There was also a screen porch that I would have used for evening drinks and chats, but my work schedule did not permit this.

The in-room wireless worked fine, though I never could connect to the WiFi in either of the two restaurants. My Verizon phone had no service whatsoever until I got back over the hills towards the center of the island, while my AT&T phone was fine.

This almost certainly makes a better leisure resort than business hotel, but I am glad I got to experience this corner of St. Croix.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms have the interesting lofted ceilings. I don't know how the downstairs ones l...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mmccalpin
Reviewed November 23, 2013

This place is truely amazing. I've lived on St. Croix so I know most of the island and hotels .My wife and I have have gotten engaged there and honeymooned there on two seperate times. The rooms are amazing, clean, ocean views, screened porches over the ocean, I fell asleep there every other night on the porch, solid wood and beautiful mahagony ceilings, the food is great, the staff very friendly, the BEST deal and area to stay on St. Croix.

Room Tip: Ask for specials packages with beachfront rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple