“Relaxing but...”

Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in St. Croix
New York City, New York
“Relaxing but...”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I really wanted to give this hotel a 5 star rating, but there were many things that just didn't pan out for us. First, the resort lost power quite a number of times. On one occasion me and my friend were sitting down for breakfast and the power went off. We had ordered but did t receive our food. They offered us muffins or fruits, but for a charge. Not as a courtesy, which I thought was a little rude being that I had already ordered food and sat down for 15 minutes waiting for the power to come back on. And since it hadn't we left, hungry.
Also, talk about taking your sweet time. Literally. They are laid back. Our room had a power shortage and we called the front desk immediately. The mechanic hadn't shown for 45 minutes. We had reservations to attend the buffet dinner. Obviously we ended up showing late since somebody wasn't in a rush to fix the power.
The spa was the reason why we booked this resort, reading previous reviews. We tried booking a manicure and pedicure but were unable to because "that section is under construction" and so we settled with the massages. The morning of, we were called at our room and told that they were unable to do massages because "one therapist was having family issues and the other therapist was leaving". Well then, that just screwed up our whole scheduled day.
And another thing, always get names! We scheduled the shuttle to Christiansted with the front desk and while we waited outside at the time we were scheduled, the shuttle never came. We went to the front desk to find out what happened and they never had our name on the list for pick up. This happened at least 3 times. We were quite infamous on the resort since so many unfortunate events happened to us.
But let's concentrate on the good. The front desk staff is helpful. I mean VERY helpful. The always made sure to rectify every unfortunate situation. Also the rooms are beautiful and comfy, each with a deck where you are able to watch the ocean waves. The food is delicious. Every single thing! And very decently priced. I rather eat at the hotel than anywhere else on the island honestly. The beach on the west side (where there is no sea urchins and least amount of rocks) is so relaxing with smooth sand and warm clear blue water. Their pool was my sanctuary though. I even fell asleep on the lounge chairs a few times. Towels were always provided.
I would recommend this hotel because it truly is a beautiful resort and island. Everyone's experience is different.

Room Tip: Ocean view room is always a good choice. Even a beach front. But all rooms are spacious and comforta...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Elizabeth D
Nancy W, Director of Sales at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Hi Elizabeth,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I am very sorry to hear of the prpblems you encountered during your stay, but I do appreciate that you also included positive feedback on your stay as well.
We don't have control over the occasional power outages that most the islands in the Caribbean experience, but I agree with you, your breakfast experience could have been handled a little better. Regarding the spa, no area of the spa is under construction so that is strange that they told you that. I'm looking into how that happened...I can tell you that if you do choose to return to our hotel for another visit...massages are on us!! Please let me know if you have plans to return and I'll offer you 2 complimentary spa treatments. I can't image why the taxi's weren't prompt to pick you up...they are usually quite reliable...and it happened 3 times. I do apologize for all these frustrations you have expressed. Warm regards, Nancy Williams, Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
Conroe, TX
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Our upstais room, 135, was beautiful. Roomy and remodeled tile step in shower, kitchen, sitting area, beautiful and comfy king poster bed, and great screened in porch made this trip very luxurious! The staff, yes everyone of them, can't do enough for you. Very pleasant, polite, and helpful. We will definately return to Carambola. Beach is beautiful but a bit too rough and rocky for playing in the water. Scuba on site but used N2The Blue Dive Shop (the best). Food was decent priced and very good. Be sure to atend the Jump Up on Friday night! Huge pool and hot tub. Mongooses everywhere but no snakes! The grounds are imaculate and beautiful. Feel free to email if you have questions.

Room Tip: Upstairs have open beamed ceilings. Rooms in buildings 13 - 17 have great ocean view. Kitchen lack...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ftloos
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We just went on our honeymoon here and it is even more beautiful in person then pictures! Everything was laid back and calm. We stayed in room 157 (right on the beach) and listened to the waves crashing 24/7 (best sleep ever!) We also went hiking a few times and it's an awesome little hike! It's a short (half hr) hike and and the views and tide pools are definitely worth the hike! Also they have mongoose everywhere so nothing poisonous to worry about on the island. The staff was friendly and the rooms were great! The pool is also very nice, just like the beach front, it was never over crowded. The price of the food there isn't as bad as i expected, i think it was really reasonable and really good! We never had to wait too long for our food as others have said you have to but i guess this is considered the off season. Overall this was everything we hoped for and more! You want to there! I hope to make it back one day :)

Room Tip: Pick a room right on the beach! I don't know the price difference but sleeping and relaxing to w...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chara M
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 14, 2013

gorgeous property in a secluded area of lovely St Croix. Modern amenities and friendly, genuine service make this resort stand out. Smiles galore from the staff. Situated on the side on a mountain where the jungle reaches the gorgeous Caribbean sea, this resort is all that and a bag of chips. Trust me.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Malcolm Y
Dublin, Georgia
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I chose this property due to my Marriott status. Was not disappointed. Very quiet, Oceanside location. Great bartender. Somewhat slow service at the restaurant. Could be much better. Nice sunset views. Very large rooms. The food is overpriced, but it is a resort. Dive shop on site is very good. Cell phone service is spotty, due to the location, but wifi is great and dependable. Very nice front office/lobby staff for check-in and check out.

Room Tip: Every room here is an ocean view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CobaltConnection
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed at the Carambola resort in January of 2013. The room which was supposed to be a garden view room was amazing and spacious. We still got to hear the waves and have a view of the ocean. The beach at the resort was also one of the best that we had visited over the course of our week stay. The waves at the beach were awesome. The food was great at the Carambola as well as having their own taxi and shuttle service. Overall, the resort was gorgeous and the staff was friendly. The only negative side was that our room had an open broken outlet which didn't seem too safe and a huge stain when I was about to make the couch into a bed so I just slept on top of the couch instead. But, overall St. Croix was an amazing island and the Carambola was a beautiful resort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to all of you at the CARAMBOLA RESORT.You all run a great place . I know I will be back. The resort is so tropical with a nice size pool and the beach so clean and nice with beautiful green mountains

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends