The Carambola grounds are beautiful and the beach nice with sunny and shady areas. However, if you are squeamish, this is not the place for you. We rented two rooms which were in different buildings. Although they were the same price one had a great ocean view and the other a view mostly of other buildings. While the rooms were renovated, there were ants and cockroaches in both rooms. The rooms were not ready for visitors. No safe, no hot water, refrigerator not plugged in and the dishwasher fell out when we tried to open it. We called about the hot water which the hotel engineered fixed with a special tool. We never did get a safe. We tried to ignore the bug sightings but where there is one cockroach there are plenty more. The cleaning staff does a good but inconsistent job. We ran out of toilet paper on one occasion.
Beach towels are always in short supply. Beach chairs are often taken by people just visiting the beach for the day so you may need to drag one down the length of the beach. The swimmable beach is nice but small.
Yes, the food at the restaurant (we only ate there for lunch) is okay, but very very expensive and the service is slow. If you shop at a supermarket you could make your own, but this is a vacation so we typically eat out.
We found the staff to be friendly and nice. There were two surly employees, a young woman who handed out towels at the pool and one of the bartenders. The two of them seemed to enjoy complaining to one another.
You will need to rent a car and drive-daunting since you need to drive on the left side on very dark and curving roads at night. Christenstaad - about 30 minutes away- has many fine restaurants-most pricey. Streets are deserted at night and there is little police presence so go with a group.
So if you want a pretty setting with a nice swimmable beach and large pool and you can ignore the bugs etc then you might want to go. I couldn't recommend the place to friends without all the warnings. Some would freak out at the bugs, driving, prices and remoteness.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover a tropical oasis at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa. Our resort in St. Croix, US Virgin Islands offers a one-of-a-kind luxury setting within the foothills of a lush tropical rainforest. We sit only steps away from the pristine sands of Estate Davis Bay and our oceanfront resort offers easy access to many exhilarating outdoor activities in St. Croix. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Kognitiv US Corp, Marriott, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort And Spa
- Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Hotel St. Croix
- Carambola Beach Hotel
- Carambola Beach Resort
- Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa U.S. Virgin Islands