WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in St. Croix
kentucky
“Management Frustration”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

Sometime the experience is more than about the property. A friend of mine was going on his honeymoon and my wedding gift to them was to pay for the room and taxes for their stay at this resort. I am a platinum elite member and have done this same thing for previous friends as gifts at other Marriott properties. My experience with the management and staff at this hotel has been a lesson in incompetence and frustration. In prperation for the stay 2 weeks in advance I faxed the neccessay form to the hotel. I called an hour later and was told everything was in order. After a few days I had not received a confimation of any sort so I called again. This time I was told nothing was on filr or received. Went through this process again with the same results. Finally I emailed the forms in and actually got a confirmation that everything was set. Today my friend calls me after checking out and tells me they charged the room to his credit card. I call the hotel and I am told the managers are on rounds and there is no one who can help me. it is not over yet but this is where I am now with this but just with this experience I will never stay or recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
18 Thank mwayc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
Walton, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

This resort is a jewel in St. Croix. It is just the right size, not so large that you get lost. The staff were very courteous, friendly and helpful. The suites/ rooms are spacious, well appointed and charming. Lovely beach with lounge chairs and big waves, good size pool, cozy hot tub and tennis courts. We decided to stay an extra night because we liked it so much. It is at the end of the road but with a car you can get to towns in about 30 min. Typical of the Caribbean, the resort had a few ants and no-see-umps. It is a great find for the money.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view, of course.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lynda P
Milan, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

This is and has always been our first choice on St. Croix. The staff is always friendly, the villas are romantic (especially ocean views to the east side). We love the privacy and the security. Great Resturant on-site, dive shop with the wall accessible by just walking in from the beach and the Friday Night Show is also lots of fun!! They are now a Mariott property and just about all the rooms have been renovated. Love It!!

Room Tip: All are good depending on what you want. We like 46, it has a great view in both directions and the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maho55
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Visited Carambola for a Conference and had a wonderful time!! The scenery, food, staff, entertainment and rooms are extraordinary. I can't wait to go back!!! This is a "must-see" in St. Croix!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Island L
Ellicott City, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Third time visiting St Croix and the third time visiting this resort. Over fifteen years ago my wife and I vacationed on St. Croix. Originally, we stayed here when it was a Westin property, I believe. In March of 2012, we took our twentieth anniversary and spent ten days visiting St Martin, Anguilla, and St. Croix. We quickly found out how much we missed this island.

We originally booked at Pelican Cove and spent our first night there. Our first day on the island, after checking in, we headed over to Carambola to have a cocktail there and revisit old memories from 15 years ago. We were stupefied that we didn't make our reservations at this location instead of Pelican Cove. Nothing against that resort but in our opinion, it simply does not compare to Carambola. We checked out the next day and returned to Carambola.

We just got back from St Croix this past November and stayed here again (yes, two times in the last six months- we love this island). The resort is simply one of the prettiest sites one will see on the island- this one or any other I have visited. It really does look like the photos- no photo shop is needed. If you want a full service resort with amazing views, good, friendly service, a beautiful beach that isn't crowded, awesome snorkeling and diving right off the resort, an awesome dive shop and personnel, and 25 minutes from Christiansted and Fredericksted, then stay here.

Rent a jeep and run up along Scenic Road, snorkel off of Davis Bay and Cane Bay (five minutes down the road), hike to Annaly Bay and the tidal pools, grab some awesome pizza at Off the Wall, get a great meal off the resort at Rowdy Joe's and get surprisingly good food at decent prices on the resort. Oh, and the beer is cold and reasonably priced as well (bucket of five Coronas for $15 or a bucket of five Caribs for $12- those are great prices for a resort in my opinion).

This resort doesn't get the hype if deserves in Frommer's and other travel mags as I think it's one of the prettiest resorts I have ever stayed at. Big fan of Carambola.

Room Tip: We were lucky enough to get a room right off the beach the last two times. I loved it but my wife f...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Skip C
Woking, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

We were in a suite in building 4. It was large with a lounge area complete with sofa, coffee table and separate flat screen tv. Off the lounge was a balcony. This was completely contained by mesh screens. Whilst a little strange at first, this was undoubtedly for the best given that the resort was lush and green kept the insects to a minimum. The mozzies barely bothered us at all. There was also a kitchen area well equipped with a large fridge and microwave and a small dishwasher. This turned out to be incredibly useful. The remote location meant that there was a limited choice of restaurants within a short (say 20 minute) drive so it was great to be able to ‘dine in’ some nights. Bathroom and shower were also spacious and included a walk in wardrobe big enough for two. The design of the rooms, using lots of dark wood in the furniture and ceiling gave it a plantation feel but also made the rooms a little dark. What I really liked was that the buildings and rooms were arranged for maximum privacy. In fact, in spite of the resort being at near full occupancy for part of our stay it was rare to bump into other guests other than at dinner or the pool.

The pool was large with plenty of loungers and fresh towels. For some reason, though there were only two umbrellas for the whole pool. Still, there were plenty of naturally shaded areas albeit around the edges.

Dining and drinking were good. However, breakfast (buffet) was a little limited in choice (although well prepared) for $16 and the lunch and dinner menu wasn’t as extensive as it needed to be for an ‘out of the way’ resort with a somewhat captive audience. I don’t think the specials changed at all. All that being said, a special mention for both the jerk chicken and red snapper both of which were delicious. Also, the coconut and raisin bread served warm with mango butter was perhaps the best bread we have ever been served in a restaurant. Yum.

The beach was also quiet and peaceful but by no means calm. Whilst you certainly couldn't surf the small 'rollers' made snorkelling less relaxing than it could have been. Swimming was fun though.

All in all a secluded resort with friendly staff that made it great for relaxing . We would absolutely go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Daley T
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed here foir only two days over a weeekend. Live music on Friday night, great food, good service. You can learn to SCUBA dive here too. Everything was neat and clean. The beach is nice and surrounded by high rocks keeping out the people that usually come by to hawke their wares.
We stayed the end of October before the season got started, there was some renovating going on, should be done by now. Warm welcome and everyone was helpful. This is an older resort taken over by Marriott. It is not new but from what I saw the place is great. about 20 minutes by taxi to downtown.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business