“Amazing experience”

Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in St. Croix
“Amazing experience”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Carambola resort from 12/17-12/22/11 and it was a fantastic experience. We arrived late in the afternoon--- don't use directions given to you by the airport guard gate-- they are so wrong! Luckily, my husband's phone was working so we could use his GPS. Check-in was a breeze, and a very nice young man took us and our luggage to our room in a golf cart. Our room was one of the renovated ones- an ocean view studio. Building 2. 2nd floor. Absolutely breathtaking views and the room was beautiful. I highly recommend getting a second floor room-- they have the wooden beamed ceilings and it's just gorgeous. The room included a couch, 2 flat screen tv's, a fridge, microwave, toaster, and of course the awesome screened in porch.
The food at the resort is standard-- nothing to get too excited over, but good. We went to the breakfast buffet once and decided to buy bagels and muffins at the store for the rest of our stay. The drinks from the bar, however, are fantastic. I highly recommend a Bushwhacker-- a milkshake for adults! The bartenders were all so friendly and didn't mind us picking their brains about things to do on the island. The beach at the resort is beautiful, too--- with the lush mountains in the background and waves crashing...I miss it already. Some people say the resort is too far away from everything but the seclusion makes it even more perfect, in my opinion. Plus, it's an easy drive to either Christiansted or Frederiksted. (Easy once you get used to driving on the left and all the pot holes in the road)! I would go back to this resort in an instant and if I do go back- I won't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed December 2011
7 Thank djcc779

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed December 17, 2011

It was our first trip to St. Croix and we were very pleased with the Carambola Resort. Very nice, spacious room with a beautiful view from the screened in lanai/patio. The staff and service were wonderful - friendly, responsive, accommodating and very welcoming.
It was very quiet and remote - perfect for the relaxing vacation that we wanted. We did a shore dive with Sweet Bottom Divers at the Resort -- Shout out to Tony, Gwen & Jeff!!. From the resort, take the nature trail to the tide pools and ruins -- good exercise and a wonderful hike. It is remote and you will need to hire the private taxi service or rent a car to visit other parts of the island. I thought the private taxi was a really good deal as they would work with you on scheduling pickups, dropoffs, and side visits (i.e. to grocery store). Have dinner and/or brunch at "eat@cane bay" - the entire menu is wonderful!! The Blue Moon in Fredrickstad was very nice dinner with a table outside to watch the sunset. We did an incredible dive on the deep wrecks and at the Pier with N2 The Blue Dive shop -- Shout out to Derrick & Jeff!! Take off your watch, relax, and enjoy island life every moment you can!!

Room Tip: We were in building 5, other family members in building 6 - great rooms that overlooked the rocky sh...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cbmeier
chicago, Il
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Right now the resort might be full and if you booked thru time share exchange, you will be put into an old unremodeled unit. These units are dingy and not maintained. We had t ohave the TV's replaced, a new refrigerator brought in, more pots, an a new toaster. The lighting in the bathroom didn't always go on properly (bad ballast). The tile was cracked on the counters; shutters on windows and doors were bent/broken/missing; the furniture was dingy; the hower was dark; cobwebs on windows; the bed was very hard to me but my boyfriend loved it; the hallway oustide to our 1st floor unit was always wet (from rain) and never pushed away; leaves, etc built up on walkways thourought the complex - not good grounds keeping in my opion. I understand that this property is under new ownership and the economy is poor but simple good groundskeepign can really imporve the property image. The pool nees work - there is mold in the ledge seating in the pool where the caulking is. I have an inground pool and brushing/scrubbing of the pool walls is needed to keep the mold away. The staff was pretty helpful but he manager is obviously tired of hearing the complaints onthe old rooms. I asked for some sort of compensation and he said he couldn't autorize that. We only ate the brunch at the hotel - food was OK. Brunch was priecy. Drinks are yoru typical resort pricing. Good Pina Colodas. The area is beautiful around the resort. also because it is near the rain forest, there was mroe cloud cover and rain by the hotel than other parts of the island. You definitley need a car (we rented from Centerline - best rate for Jeep) I would recommend a Jeep, especially if you are planning on driving thru the rainforest at all (and you will ifyou are going to see the pigs at Domino Club).
we found places to hang out away from the hotel. Rowdy Joes - Steve the bartender is cool! Eat @ cane bay is good - as others have said. The Waves hotel has nice find dinning! Pick your own lobster. OFF the Wall has great pizza ane burgers - play Bingo on Tues night. Above the Cliff has great water views.
We also went to various beaches and really found that you can pull off hte road and have beach area to yourself - we went to Sandy Point; Rainbow beach (actually a bit north of it) and then to a beach that is south of Fredristed that i don't know the name of (just keep driving south on 63 (i thnk) and you will come to a park area - the road ends here. Nice beach area.
We went to the sun dial on the north east corner. just a few minutes before getting there you will see a little pull off on the left that has a path that will take you down to the sea (nto a hard walk) and there is a nice beach there - you will probably be alone there.
St croix has lots of wonderful beaches tucked all over the island - you just have to get to them.

Room Tip: if you can - when booking get it in writing that you will be in a new room not one of the old rooms...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank kreusn
United States
Reviewed December 7, 2011

I read the other reviews so I wasn't surprised that the check in process was chaotic. Keys didn't work, for example. I was visiting as part of a conference, and as a nonpaying guest was appreciating a working vacation I wasn't paying for!

But I still looked around with a critical eye, wondering if I would come back with my family someday. We live close enough that we could easily come here for a long weekend.

Yes, I would return on my own dime.

Checking in as a group was chaotic but was partly our fault because some in our group had not been properly briefed on the hotel. For example, we should gave called ahead for an ADA room. But it was resolved and all was good.

If you are polite Virgin Islanders respond accordingly...but if you bring a stateside attitude you'll be disrespected also. I found the staff to be helpful, cheerful and kind.

I went to dinner with a colleague and thought the mahi mahi and lobster tail entrees disappointing. I mentioned this to the head chef, he apologized and followed up with a room service delivery of a lovely fruit platter, including chocolate covered strawberries!

Yes, the beach is rugged, but the views are remarkable. Ask what time of year the waves swell...it isn't for toddlers.

I liked the hammocks on the beach. I liked the screened in porches. I liked the grounds. I liked that the bar had hundreds of brands...try getting Jim Beam bourbon --- it's hard in the Caribbean!

The hot tub was hot, the pool empty and clean.

It was a relaxing time in spite of the conference!

• Stayed December 2011
5 Thank hungrytraveler0
Ruidoso, New Mexico
Reviewed December 6, 2011

We lucked out booking this resort, We had never been to St. Croix before and we didn't know what to expect.
The room here were very nice with screened in porches that were very nice to relax on!
The rooms were great, food and drinks great, staff great and beach Great!
When we traveled around the island we saw lots of locations and if your looking for the best secluded beach, on the island, this is it.
The downfall is that you have to take a taxi EVERYWHERE which are expensive.
If you dive go with in2theblue, they are FANTASTIC and the diving is better on that side of the island.
I am sure by now they have updated all of the mattresses, but make sure you get a new mattress (old ones are pretty crummy)
This is a super laid back island and if your into shopping, nightlife and parties I recommend trying a different island.
service is terrible with a friendly face everywhere you go, expect that, its Caribbean time! lol

the only reason I took a star off my rating is because we had to get taxis to go everywhere and we got an old mattress that was pretty uncomfortable

Room Tip: make sure you get a room with a new bed! all rooms are on beach but some face the mountains and not...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hdharrison
Miramar, Florida
Reviewed December 1, 2011

Stayed here for a night on the 21st October, 2011. The room was excellent and very well appointed. Check in went smoothly and really encountered great friendly staff.

Tried the friday evening buffet and it was also nicely presented, the only problem was the service was not very good. I was completely ignored for at least 20 minutes, the most disconcerted thing was that a European looking manager passed my table at least a dozen times and completely ignored me!!!

That being said it was a great evening with fabulous entertainment and I would love to return for a longer stay. Absolutely love the room.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Franklyn E
Reviewed November 23, 2011

This place is absolutely beautiful! They were in the process of renovation while we were there. I was disappointed with our room the first night -it was dark, dirty, & depressing. I talked to Ms. Pearl in the office & she moved us to a newer room. The change was unbelievable! Best vacation we've had. We went to Sandals in St.Lucia for our honeymoon. The Carambola was much better. Food is a little expensive but overall, a relaxing, beautiful vacation.

• Stayed March 2011