“Curry Chicken - Do It Now!”

La Reine Chicken Shack
Ranked #6 of 170 Restaurants in St. Croix
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Description: very popular with the locals and gaining popularity with the tourists. they don't have their own website, but the link I provided above shows its listing.
Leander, Texas
“Curry Chicken - Do It Now!”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We arrived on St Croix and took a taxi to our rented residence - the taxi driver recommended the Chicken Shack. Following that, at least 3 more people recommended it. Naturally, we had to try it.

Between my hubby and I we had half roast chicken, half curried chicken, macaroni & cheese, potato salad, baked beans, and fried rice. The mac & cheese was standard. The fried rice and baked beans were pretty good. The potato salad was great. The curried chicken was AMAZING. I suppose this place is called the CHICKEN shack for a reason, because that's where they work the magic. Usually I end up giving my hubby half my food because I simply cant finish it - he didn't get much of my leftovers this time. I'm not sure what it was - the fall-off-the-bone tender meat... the mix of spices... the curry sauce that soaked into the rice at the bottom of my plate... but even with the mediocre macaroni, this meal might have been the best one during our time on the island. Absolutely heavenly.

Our meal for two people ran around $25.

• Visited December 2013

Christiansted, St. Croix
“one of the local landmarks”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Ask anyone, they've been here. And everyone plans to come again, and again. I kind of take it for granted but it's always there when I need something, and need it on the cheap too!! There's many a time I've swung by for a quick half-chicken and Johnny cake... yum!!!

You get fantastic cuisine (maybe that too much of a foofoo word but boy is it good!), drinks, separate bar, even entertainment on occasion depending on when you come.

They have quite the operation, perfected over years and thousands upon thousands of repeat customers. If you haven't been, or someone you talked to hasn't been, then they're missing out on a special treat from St Croix.

• Visited October 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
“a must *dont leave the island before with stoping”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

This was the best chicken I every had,,, the johnny cakes are delicious .. ,price is cheap but the food is fantastic ..

• Visited January 2013
Wake Forest, North Carolina
“Great island food”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stopped for lunch on our last day on our way to the airport. Friendly service at the walk-up counter take-out only but there are lots of picnic tables and a pavilion to eat at. Service is quick. Food is great. Half chicken Friday special is unmatched. Don't get confused with the bar in the next building.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Scubadoo
Akron, Ohio
“Best Chicken”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We were brought here as apart of an island tour given by the Hibiscus Beach Resort. Its a nice Puerto Rican spot, and we were told that they're very popular around lunch time. Its a nice We were each given a half rotisserie/ smoked chicken with a couple of the most DELICIOUS johnny cakes! My boyfriend said that this was the BEST chicken he has ever had. I agree. When we come back to St. Croix next year, we WILL come back!

• Visited June 2013