New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Buck Island Cove

Buck Island Cove
Ranked #20 of 106 things to do in St. Croix
More attraction details
Owner description: About two miles northeast of St. Croix, Buck Island Cove, with its large and spectacular reef, is a snorkeler’s dream.
Leesburg, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Snorkelers Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

After traveling much of Caribbean, and snorkeling at every beach, key, and cove possible I would have to say Buck Island is probably in the top three of my favorite spots. The underwater trail is neat and I enjoy how much variety of sea life you see. Go out with Tommy.. He's your go to guy.

Visited April 2013
6 Thank Hoovey88

Torrance, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Buck Island with Captain Heinz”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

We really enjoyed our trip to Buck Island with Captain Heinz and his crew. The trimaran was fun to go out on the water in. The snorkel tour was great and we saw a bunch of fish and even a small nurse shark. There was time to go to the other side of the island to relax on a beautiful beach and do some more swimming or snorkeling. And the return trip was a peaceful sail back. We definitely would do this again.

Visited December 2013
4 Thank Jeanne O
south carolina
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Don't expect beautiful coral when snorkeling.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

I did an afternoon trip here expecting to find some great snorkeling, but discovered that hurricane Hugo destroyed all the coral and it has not come back. There is a lot of marine live to view, however. And the beach is pristine at the other end of the island. It's still worth the trip.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank stantond
Rock Hill, South Carolina
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Snorkeling experience of a lifetime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband & I just returned from a week long trip to St Croix. We took a snorkel trip with Big Beard and had an amazing day on the ocean. We enjoyed the sail out to Buck Island, the snorkeling in the reef where we saw two 3-4ft lemon sharks, the bbq on the beach and the ever flowing rum punch along the sail back. What a great experience I would recommend to anyone looking for an adventure.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Deanna T
Winter Haven, Florida
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“A must see adventure when in St. Croix”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

This is a national monument and can only be visited by boat. Please respect it and its beauty when here. We took a tour that let us snorkel an hour and say a school of blue tang (at least 200) lots of other fish and coral. I felt like I was swimming in a giant aquarium. Coral is mostly dead, but with concerted efforts it has begun to grow again. That was wonderful to see as we have snorkelled the Great Barrier Reef and hope that st croix could become that pretty a landmark of live beauty. Afterwards we went to the island, no landing the boat so we had to swim ashore. Softest sand I have ever felt. Don't miss this one.

Visited September 2013