“Unbelievable!”

Ranked #14 of 107 things to do in St. Croix
Reviewed April 23, 2014

These pools are amazing. After a good 30-45 minute hike from the Carambola hotel, you see the beach, and then climb over the rocks to enter the tidal pools. The pools were either shallow to about chest height in depth. The first time we went the tide was low and the water did not crash over the rocks. The second time we went the waves were crashing. You sat in the tide pools and water would come crashing over your head into the tide pools! Great fun! Wear good shoes on hike- long hike and slippery rocks to climb.

1  Thank Rohr239
There are newer reviews for Carambola Tide Pools

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Was told by several people to be careful going to the tide pools. This hike is not for the faint of heart. There are no guardrails and literally billions of ants. DO NOT wear sandals. Be very careful while walking this path. Pay attention. The views at several overlooks are stunning and the beach just beside the tide pool is covered with black rocks. We left from the Marriott and were warned once again to be careful. My brother-in-law slipped and was saved by a tree from going down the mountain. The pools were ok as we were there on a cloudy day so the weather made the pools look a little dreary. Glad we went to say we did it. But be warned of the ants and the trail...Do not take grandma with you on this hike of about 2 miles one way

3  Thank wolandy
Reviewed April 20, 2014

The reviews here vary greatly. I was pretty nervous about the hike based on some of the reviews, and I went into it expecting a very difficult hike. However, I had nothing to worry about. I would not call myself an advanced hiker, but I am in decent shape and I've hiked before, so I knew to expect some steep sections, tree roots, narrow trail, ants, etc. The hike didn't take too long, but my husband and I walk rather quickly. We wore sneakers, and I brought my flip flops in my backpack for the water. It rained lightly for a few minutes while we were hiking, which was so refreshing in the heat!

Tide pools - you need to scramble over some rocks to get there. It was nothing bad, in my opinion. I've never done this before, so in one or two places my husband helped me out by showing me the best place to put my foot (he has rock climbed several times). I took it slow and was totally fine. The tide pools were such a reward! I wore my flip flops but my husband went barefoot since the water was so clear, we could see the bottom very clearly. The fish were beautiful. We had the tide pools to ourselves for about 45 minutes to an hour before we packed up and hiked back. We must have been there at the right time of day - no waves crashed over the rock at all, unlike the wave every 10 minutes described in other reviews. I'm so glad we did this and some of our most beautiful photos are from swimming in the tide pools.

2  Thank Carla T
Reviewed April 11, 2014

This was a fun hike and totally worth the effort. The sights you get from the bay remind you of what you might see in Pirates of the Caribbean...literally looks like something out of a movie. Went into the Carambola for lunch. Turkey club sandwiches, fries, and iced teas to build up some energy plus got to park in the resort (weren't staying there) which I believe saves a little walking time to reach the start of the trail.
About a 45 min moderate hike. Starts out up a long, steep hill but stick it out, it gets easier. Not hard to find...take a left in the tall grass and a right at the dirt road. Wear good hiking shoes and upon reaching the bay, cross the rocks to the left to reach the tide pools. Bring water shoes your feet will get wet and there's plenty of sharp rocks. It was some pretty wild scenery. We were there during some extremely rough surf and all I can say is BE CAREFUL and use good judgement. I didn't and I found myself in a pretty compromising position with a big wave. Got a little beaten and bruised but could've been so much worse. My girl actually got a pretty spectacular picture of it happening, will try to post it if I can. Bottom line, great place to visit if you have a couple free hours and could use a little exercise.

2  Thank takerEazy17
Reviewed March 29, 2014

My family and I stayed at the Carambola during our vacation so it made sense to check out the tide pools. The hike was about 40 minutes. My boys are 13 and 10 and certainly not experienced hikers. They made it with no problems. The trail is steep in places and mostly narrow. You also need to watch your footing as a false step could send you down a very steep hillside. I would echo other comments that good footwear is a must. We wore Keens and managed fine. I wouldn't recommend flip flops.

There were several stunning views on the way to the tide pools themselves. We got some great family shots with a backdrop of the hills and the coast line. Definitely stops on your way to take in the view.

There are a couple for opportunities to take a wrong turn on the trail. Turn left after the high grass. Then when you reach the road turn right (downhill) toward the beach. The beach itself is very rocky - great for skipping stones. The pools lie to the left hand side. Because we came closer to high tide, we were only able to make it to the first two tide pools. They were very cool. We saw sea urchins, fish, crabs and even a lobster. It was definitely a good adventure with the family.

My only recommendation would be to time your visit more towards low tide. That way you will be able to get around without as much worry about the crashing surf.

1  Thank Jim R