“wrong timing??”

Ranked #14 of 107 things to do in St. Croix
Reviewed March 26, 2014

we recently moved to st.croix. hiked the trail to the tide pools 3/25. we are in shape and probably a good moderate exertion hike dependent on your speed. wear good shoes! take at least a bottle of water each. turn left right before the guard gate and go up hill to parking lot. walk a little further up the paved road and see the trail on the right. kind of a fun approx 45 min hike. when you hit the dirt single wide road after a couple miles, turn left and follow road down to very stony beach. go to the left and climb rocks to pools. there are some whitish stones placed on the rock to guide you. i rated this terrible because there was nothing to see but it is the dry season. probably will be more "active" with the water falling into the pool in wet season or at least after a good rain? have fun!

There are newer reviews for Carambola Tide Pools

Reviewed March 26, 2014

We took the hike from Carmbola and despite the millions of ants we literally stepped on enroute (yes they bite so make sure you wear sneakers!) It was a relatively easy hike. It was all worth it once we hit the beach. Its not a sandy beach but a rocky pebble beach. The sound of the surf rolling the pebbles back and fourth was unbelievable. There is coral literally everywhere on the beach. Once you get into the first tidepool you will be amazed. There are fish in there to look at and swim with. Once you climb up you will find pool after pool. Simply amazing. This is a must do! Plan on an hour hike there, hour back and three or four hours at the pools. As I said, sneakers are a must for the hike. Other than that...relax! Youre on vacation :)

1  Thank justin v
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We were a bit confused about what to expect given varied reviews here. If you are in good shape and hike once in awhile this is not that hard. The trail does hug a steep hill and drops off sharply (you don't want to fall, so just beware of your footing). I can see that if it has just irained it might be very slippery and tough going. The pools are beautiful. We were fortunate and hit it on a calm day. We were with a guide (highly recommend BushTribe) who told us that you should sit at the beach and watch the waves hitting the area where the pools are (to the left when facing the water) for about 10 minutes to be certain that it isn't too rough to go into the pools. Our guide has had to help carry people out who got battered against the rocks when the conditions were rough. So just be smart and remember how powerful water can be

3  Thank Cynthia B
Reviewed March 12, 2014

The hike can be treacherous especially if it has rained. We did this hike without a guide. We were aware that you need to be very careful because about every ten minutes an unexpected tide will come in. There is no way to prepare for this. I was very fortunate to have someone near me who held on to me or else the undertow would have definitely taken me out to sea! I would not recommend doing this without a guide. It could end up being disastrous.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

It is very cool looking but treacherous. I slipped and not only got a heel full of urchin spines but broke my toe at the same time. Needless to say, it wasn't my 13 and 9 year olds' favorite part of the trip. Difficult to get into and maneuver around the rocks. Wear sneakers or water shoes the whole time... even in the water.

2  Thank Eileen P