“A favorite every time!”

and up
Buck Island Private Charter from St Croix
Ranked #2 of 107 things to do in St. Croix
More attraction details
Owner description: Lying 1.5 miles off the northeast coast of St. Croix, this 880-acre national monument includes 176 acres of land surrounded by 704 acres of water and coral reef system; it is a paradise for snorkelers, and the deep grottos and labyrinths are perfect for experienced scuba divers to explore.
Libertyville
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A favorite every time!”
Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

We have been to Buck Island many times but this time with Captain Carl was our favorite. His staff is very friendly and helpful. I loved how it was a true sailing trip. I also enjoyed how his groups are smaller. His trip is a DO NOT MISS!!!

2 Thank Lisa P

Canada
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Waste of $70”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

A group of about 39 Canadians took a 1/2 day tour with Big Beard based on tripadvisor ratings. We spent 1 full hour at Turtle island learning to snorkel although we told the staff we were ready to move on to snorkel at Buck's Island. When we got there, we were given a 5 min orientation tour in the water & told we were on our own for the next hour but we should be careful not to touch anything, it was dangerous , the undertow was strong & we should try to remember the way in as this was the only way out..The staff swam back to the boat and watched us from there.The coral was mostly dead. Most of us were too scared to venture too far; one almost got lost..it was a total waste of time and money. I suggested to the staff that it would be more effective if they guided us thru the water but they ignored my comments..will never use this tour company again

Visited January 2013
4 Thank trichan
Madison, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Llewellyn (sp?) Catamaran. THE BEST!”
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed on st Croix for our honeymoon in 07 and booked Llewellyn at the recommendation of our hotel. We had rented a jeep, so we had transportation - there are set destination cab rates though so don't worry about getting ripped off if you have to take a cab. I had never snorkeled before and frankly can't really swim, so I was thrilled when his "first mate" drug me along behind her on a lifesaver. He provided all equipment in excellent condition and made sure to get a good fit and that I felt safe. My husband loved it because he is a fish and wasn't stuck babysitting me and could enjoy himself. It was a very small group, just one other couple on the trip, and Llewellyn was so personable, like we were family or old friends. When we got back from our full day of sailing and snorkelling, my husband insisted on buying him a beer and Llewellyn gave us his cd. We listened to it when we got home, turns out he's a great reggae singer too. So much fun and so informative! A definite must do

5 Thank MWEquine
San Jose, California
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Really not the most impressive snorkeling site”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I had a lot of expectations as Buck Island is the only maintained diving/snorkeling site by NPS. I thought the underwater tracks must be fascinating. But having snorkeled in many sites in southern Caribbean, I have to say Buck island is not among my favorites.

The water around the island is super clear with a beautiful color, but was a little rough when I visited in late Dec. As only 6 authorized tour operators are allowed in this park, everyone has to come in a tour boat, and the tour guide will lead a big group to snorkel along the trail. When the water is rough, it's kind of difficult to follow the group.

There are certainly large corals around, only that they don't appear to be much alive. The underwater "track" is a number of rusted plaques that explain the corals or fish, neither very informative nor very clear in direction. The number and variety of fish is just average, so I wouldn't regret if I had to skip this site.

Visited December 2012
3 Thank oceanflower
Madeira Beach, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Captain Lou and brother gloo are the best!!”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I went to St. Croix 30 years ago the first time....was back in 2012....it would not be a complete St. Croix experience without Llewellyn Westerman (capt. lou) and his brother gloo....and a trip out to Buck Island on Charis....had the best time ever....6 people max on the boat...guided snorkel tour of the reef...saw/swam with lemon sharks, turtles, amazing array of fish....fabulous....and then the best part for me...beaching it on the other end of the Island for lunch, swimming, exploring and listening to the "master" tell tales of the Islands....I love llewellyn Charters and hold special memories of St.Croix and the best that this Island has to offer....thank you lou and gloo....see you in June 2013...woo hoo

Visited June 2012