“I don't golf but we came here for lunch...”

Carambola Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Perhaps the best golf course in the Caribbean, Carambola is a par-72 course with lots of uphill and cross-water shots.
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I don't golf but we came here for lunch...”
Reviewed February 10, 2010

I don't golf but we came here for lunch and it was really great food and service. A few years ago you could wait forever to get lunch but not anymore! Great golf course/hill views!

1 Thank gorkerstravel

Ohio
“WOW, what a difference.”
Reviewed January 7, 2010

I have been playing Carambola on vacation for years and it has never looked so good. I was very impressed with the condition of the course.

“Play every year”
Reviewed January 14, 2006

First off don't go expecting conditions like in the US. But expect a beautiful setting and a very tough golf course. This is one of the best designed golf courses I have played anywhere in the Carribbean. The staff is not always the most attentive but they are extremely friendly. The course is normall deserted and provides for some real relaxation and enjoyment. The courses condition really depends on the time of year you play and the amount of rain they have had prior. If there is alot of rain this place is lush and gourgeous, not as much rain and not so lush. Either way this is a great old style golf course and provides a true test of golf for any player. Also coolers are aloud on the course, just ask the bartender. I play here every year and always seems to get better.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
“Needs Work”
Reviewed December 28, 2005

Carambola Golf Course, at the Carambola Resort on St. Croix, is a good, perhaps very good good golf course.
It is a pity that pieces of its operation remind you of a low-end muni track.

The pro-shop usually has a couple of very pleasant girls running the register. Pleasant, but not too interested in getting you outside again. Beyond this, they do not seem to communicate with the rest of the "crew." They will take your money and send you on your way, which is to say, in search of the starter. He's around someplace. Oh, there he is:

"Rental clubs, you need rental clubs? They're out on the course, mon. They should have told me."

But I already paid for them.

"The rental clubs are out on the course."

This true situation wound down with the starter lending me his friend's clubs ("Take care of these. They're my friend's.")which means that Carambola collected my $25 rental fee for the use of clubs it does not own.

No water on the practice tee. Balls that looked as if they had been fished out of a swamp.

But hey, what do you want for $125 - off season?

Out on the golf course - no excuses. Either hit keep the ball in play and make some putts or run hime like the proverbial scaled dog. Plenty of risk and reward calculations. Greens a little hairy -stimping around 7.

Moral of Story: Bring your own clubs and be prepared to do things the Carambola way.

Food is good. Nice bar.

SD

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
“You will need a car.......”
Reviewed November 1, 2004

My husband and I stayed at the Carambola. Our room was wonderful. The location of the place is not great there is nothing near. They have a overpriced restaurant there is no dancing there is nothing to do except swim. This is the perfect place if you just want to play golf and go swimming and stay on the resort. You will need a car to see anything and to have any fun. They do not even provide transportation to town like the other hotels. I would never stay there again i would stay in the city you are near everything and are in walking distance. The hotel is in a hill with nothing... Great place horrible location. They should put some enjoying things to do there... Please if you do go there save your children the pain......

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member