“Major construction next door!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Providenciales
Crystal Sands Villa on the Beach
Reviewed August 26, 2011

We stayed at Crystal Sands (penthouse and lower level) from August 6-13, 2011.

Warning to all who are staying at Crystal Sands Villa in the coming months: there is currently a MAJOR renovation and complete overhaul to the villa right next door, which is about 10 feet from Crystal Sands. We endured jack-hammering from 8:00AM to 5:00 PM on 3 of our 7 days there. It was 10 feet from my brother’s room and when it was going on, we had to leave the villa, as well as the patio area. Unfortunately, they were also using a chainsaw on several of the days, as well as general construction noise like hammering, etc. on almost every day of the week. Several people were woken early from the noise every day, and you can forget about relaxing on their hammocks. My husband finally had to give up and leave.

There are a few other reasons I did not give this villa top marks. Several of the basic amenities were either missing or broken. When we arrived, the owners (Dana and Scott) had been delayed on another island so they sent their friends Don and Judy to meet with us the first day. Don announced to me right away that the pool was unusable and he would be back the next day to see if it was any better (it was not). The pool was littered with debris, and the visibility was no more than a few inches. It was finally fixed by day 3, however it still looked cloudy to me. The blender was broken – no slushy drinks! The water cooler wouldn’t dispense water no matter what we tried, then leaked all over the floor while we were at the beach. We gave up and stopped using it. We were extremely short on face cloths, dish cloths and dish towels – we had only 1 or 2 of each between all 12 of us. I called Don and he brought some. To top it all off, we decided to have a big barbecue our third night there, only to find that over half the bars on the grill rack were rusted straight through and the other half were well on their way. It was completely unusable, as was the grill downstairs. In addition, the television in the penthouse did not work during our stay. Scott and Dana arrived to meet us on our last day there. I detailed all of the missing/broken items and they chaulked it up to salt air. I’ve lived by the ocean my entire life and am fully aware how salt air can affect things. But if that’s the case, FIX IT. Or else, don’t advertise it on your website.

Villa Blue Heaven (where my other family members stayed) is two doors away and was absolutely beautiful. The house was well stocked and everything in working order. There was also a mid week cleaning and nice touches like a huge fruit basket awaiting my family’s arrival, as well as complimentary water, kayaks, etc.

Turks and Caicos however, is spectacular. We absolutely loved the island and especially the people – so friendly. We ate at Las Brisas which was yummy. The breeze over there was lovely. We had conch and rum punch at the Conch Shack, and also ate at the Tiki Hut which is near Smith’s Reef. Several of us did the half day kayak tour to Iguana Island which was gorgeous. And Sapodilla Beach was the most beautiful on the island in my opinion. Overall, I would most definitely return to T&C, just not Crystal Sands Villa.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank JLF7
Beachdigs, Owner at Crystal Sands Villa on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2011

We are so sorry that this party let our new neighbor’s remodel project spoil their vacation. We had no prior knowledge of the sale of the home or the project. We paid for our guests’ total AC usage, their bottled water and the excess cleaning charge they incurred, yet they still asked for more. We wish we could help.

Reviewed August 21, 2011

My family reunion to this beautiful island and wonderful beach was only marred by the noise that was taking place next to our villa. The villa next door was being renovated and the jackhammer was going from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. everyday. The foreman at the site said the owners were aware of this construction as a permit had been filed. Other villa renters on the beach had been informed and given discounts as a result of the noise. The owners were aware of this noise but did not disclose this information to our group prior to our arrival. The owners did not show up until later in the week and did not check on basics in the villa like a plunger. I felt like we were paying top price for a product that did not deliver. The screens on the lower level did not lock and as we were warned that the A/C was very expensive I felt very nervous about the security all week. The beach was beautiful as were the grounds but I would not choose this villa again. Also the pool was green for most to the week.....

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank girlfromtherock

Reviewed June 2, 2011

The villa is situated on the most beautiful beach I've ever seen. Serene, warm water, shallow for days. Great for small kids and those who like to float. You can also snorkel right from the beach.

The house was great for our family of 11! I recommend taking a look at the floor plan to make sure it will work for you. For instance, the upstairs and downstairs units are not connected, which is something you might want to consider.

Dana and Scott were very helpful and welcoming. They thought of everything when they built this villa, and we appreciated the touches, from the sandy-foot shower, to the landscaping, to the sufficient kitchens and great grills on the deck. The palm-roofed gazebo is the perfect escape from the stray 15 minute rain shower.

For food, we shopped at the IGA — be prepared for hefty prices but basically every foodstuff you could get at a regular supermarket in the States. Las Brisas across the street is a nice dinner.

If you're interested in trying kite boarding, check out KiteProvo. Mike is great.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank ebfriday
Reviewed September 20, 2010

We were 3 generations, 5 adults and a young baby. The ground unit was perfect and exceeded our expectations. Sapodilla Bay is not a long beach compared to Grace Bay, but it is beautiful. It is on the calm south side of Provo so it is ideal for kids. The water is crystal clear, with soft white sand, and it stays shallow for a long, long way. We also enjoyed the pool in the evenings. The grounds are beautiful and there are many places where you can find a quiet corner to relax alone, or with friends. The large covered patio with ample furniture was ideal for outdoor dining (we never ate inside), the gazebo with soft chairs was a great place to sit and enjoy an after dinner drink, and of course the beach is well equipped with chairs. The villa is well equipped with a good kitchen, entertainment system, beach toys, linens, etc. Beds are comfortable. To sum up, the Crystal Sands website gives an honest representation of the property.

You really do need a car here. There are several local grocery stores but the best option is the new IGA supermarket that is about 15 minutes away. The food quality was excellent, with the produce and meat much better than we have found on other caribbean islands.

Our suggestions:
Go to the Wine Cellar on the Leeward Highway ( it is closed on Sunday, but open until at least 6PM the rest of the week). The prices are much lower than the grocery stores and they have a great selection of wine and spirits. They are very helpful if you are not familiar with their wine selections and want some advice. It is just before the IGA on the Leeward Highway, but the dual carriageway makes it easier to stop there on the way back.

At the recommendation of locals we ate at the Mango Reef restaurant in the Royal West Indies Hotel. It was excellent. An interesting menu, good food and excellent service.

We also had a good lunch at Jimmy's Dive Bar. The food quality surprised us all, it was very good. The Tiki Hut at Turtle Cove gets mixed reviews from the locals. We had lunch there as well and it was generally OK, but not as good as Jimmy's.

We dove with Dive Provo. They were excellent. Very professional and took good care of us and our equipment. They kept our gear between days, rinsed it and made sure everything was all set up for the next day of diving. The dive boats left on time. Diving was great - sharks and turtles every dive!

Unless you are going to rent a kayak and visit the mangroves and the "Iguana Island" on your own, which would be worthwhile, don't waste the time and money to take a boat ride or guided tour. The Iguana Island (Little Water Cay I think?) is very close to the Leeward Marina and you can paddle there in 15 minutes. There are iguanas, but the short boardwalk takes about 5 minutes and you are done. It is an expensive trip by boat and not really worth it.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Mikecd
Reviewed August 3, 2010

I stayed here in August of 2006 and I'm making a special effort to go back in time and write this review. Sapodilla Beach is as beautiful as anywhere in the world and it was rare to see anyone there except some fun and friendly locals on the weekend. The house itself is stunning. The huge balcony, the pool, the beds... I wouldn't change a thing. The only regret I have is that I have been unable to return... so far.
I've travelled all over the Caribbean and much of the world and this home goes on my list at number one - my favorite beach spot ever, anywhere. Nice people too.
I hesitate to write this because I'd rather it stay a secret, but the owners are so nice that I can't help myself.
Have fun and enjoy the hammocks on the deck. I'll never forget it!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 16, 2010

We had a marvelous time during our stay at Crystal Sands in May 2010. Me, my wife, my dad, his wife and our 19 month old daughter spent 11 nights in the beach level unit. Dana and Scott were traveling themselves during our visit and their friends Don and Judy met us at the villa upon our arrival and took great care of us.

The beach level unit, virtually identical to the penthouse unit, is very spacious. The kitchen, living room, bedrooms and bathrooms were of ample size. The balcony was shaded and was large enough to have a table, lounge chairs, gas grill and hammock. The kitchen had an electric stove and oven, microwave, double sink, dishwasher, blender, toaster and several dishes/silverware/pots and pans. There was also a standard sized refrigerator with freezer. The villa also had a water cooler that accommodated a five gallon jug of water – this was very helpful. The bathrooms had a shower only (not unreasonable given the scarcity of fresh water on the island).

For our 19 month old, the unit had a pack n’ play and booster seat.

There is satellite TV and a flat screen TV with a DVD player. Around the entertainment center are drawers that contained random books, movies, puzzles and even a few childrens actvities. The internet access is wireless and I had no problem accessing it and using Skype. I did make a 5-10 minute phone call to the United States using 1-800CallUSA and was charged about $30.00. Had I been able to get a signal with my Verizon cell phone, it would have been $1.99 a minute.

The villa is on the beach and there were very nice views of the water from our beach level unit. There was a faucet to wash sand off your feet and also an outside shower. The grounds were extensively landscaped and a gardner comes once a week. The pool is tucked away by the side of the house and big enough for the amount of guests staying at the villa.

Sapodilla bay beach is perfect for small children. The water depth is shallow and is knee deep 50 yards out. The water is very clear and the sand is white and soft. If you pay close enough attention, you can see schools of small fish and even some crabs. One day while wading through the knee deep water we saw two stingrays. The villa has plenty of beach toys, towels and floats, so no need to bring your own. There seemed to be more traffic along the beach during the weekends. The only issue we had with this was that some of the jetski users were riding fast pretty close to shore. This was only an issue one out of our 12 days. At night, there is a security guard who walks up and down the beach from 6:30 pm to 4:30 am

The villa is in a relatively remote location relative to the rest of the island. Las Brisas restaurant is a short (5-10 minute) walk away. There is a small and expensive convenience store/gas station about 1/3-1/2 mile away. We knew this beforehand and rented a car which enabled us to travel to the IGA for groceries and also to other restaurants for dinner. While Crystal Sands provides the water cooler and water jugs free of charge, it is your responsibility to refill the jugs that you use. The water company is about 5-10 minutes away by car and it only costs $2.50 to fill up the five gallon jug. This activity was obviously facilitated greatly by us renting a car. For those who are extremely skittish about driving in Provo, you can certainly stay at Crystal Sands without renting a car but you will have to do very good planning with grocery shopping and be happy with going to Las Brisas a bunch of times for lunch/dinner.

During our stay, the heat index during the daytime was about 90-95 degrees Farenheit on average. We opened all the windows and turned on the ceiling fans and were comfortable as we were always in and out of the pool or beach. At night, we elected to use air conditioning which came at an additional cost based on kilowatt hours used. We used the air conditioning unit from about 7 pm to 7 am and set the thermostat at 70 degrees Farenheit. Our electricity bill for those 11 nights was $303.00, not bad in my opinion. As an aside, the bedroom with the four poster bed didn’t get as cool as the other bedroom.

Checkout was at 11 am and the cleaning crew showed up at 9:30 am to get started cleaning. We had a late flight and elected to stay until 11 am and the cleaning crew was good about working around us.

Overall, we had an excellent stay at Crystal Sands Villa and would recommend it to those who want a low key, relaxing vacation.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank rfums2004
Reviewed May 13, 2008

We booked the crystal sands via vrbo.com and Scott and Dana were helpful the entire way.

The house is perfect, flatout the view CAN'T get any better and the landscaping is perfect! We rented the "penthouse" and enjoyed every moment of everyday.

We never needed the AC and slept with the windows open every night, the breeze was great. This is by far one of the nicest places i've ever stayed and the owners are by far some of the nicest most helpful people i've ever met.

Dana and Scott do a GREAT job maintaining the property, even while they builds condos in Grace bay. Worth every penny and sapodilla bay made the vacation just that much better, a silent, secluded, almost deserted beach with amazing sun sets and weather.

We will never forget Crystal Sands Villa and we hope to return their on our next trip to Provo

-e

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank njcfm