“The Mistakes I Made”
Review of The Tuscany

The Tuscany
Ranked #1 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Don’t be mislead by the title – after extensive research The Tuscany reviews were about as reliable as your Mother-In-Law showing up every Christmas.

My family of 4 rented a 3 bedroom (W302) and Shawnemae was more than helpful with the many annoying questions I had before we arrived.

However, I didn’t ask ENOUGH questions because I’m not as OCD as I’d like to be, so I’m here to share those with you.

1) Mistake #1– Flying into Miami you MUST leave enough time to transfer planes. If you’re on different airlines, bring a razor and a curling iron for the Mrs. That’s how long it will take to get to your connection. We were on AA and the distance between the flight from L.A. to T&C was a like a pilates workout. Up and down stairs and a tram ride away and we became those people you hate that hold up an entire plane.

WORSE was coming back. Like a Tim Burton nightmare. There’s ALWAYS weather in T&C and Miami and I made the GRAND mistake of not allowing enough time between the flight FROM T&C to Miami and then back to L.A. – Guess what happened? There was weather which delayed our flight out of T&C by an hour.

You have to go through CUSTOMS. Between the long walk, the long line at Immigration AND having to grab your bags at baggage claim (nope, it doesn’t go all the way through, folks!) THEN getting on another long line to make your connection and going through security AGAIN (and you know you’ll be “randomly selected” for a “pat down”), it’s at LEAST a 2 hour haul. We missed TWO connections and had to spend the night in a Miami hotel.

2) Mistake #2 - I wanted a rental car (I like to explore and did… Sapodilla and Taylor Bay’s, Da Conch Shack, some road straight out of a “Texas Chainsaw” movie) and rather than go through Avis, I asked Shawnemae to rent me one. Cost $464.00 for the week.

What I got was an Aveo that had 68,000 miles on it. How the heck do you rack up 68,000 miles on an island that’s only 17 miles long? At least the tires had tread, air conditioning and didn’t smell like conch. I’m pretty easy going but for those with higher standards...

3) Mistake #3 - We arrived on the late flight and stopped at the local grocery store to stock up on food. We arrived at Tuscany at 8:00pm. We sat at the gate for 15 minutes as the phone rang as long as church bells at the Sistine Chapel. Finally, I hopped over the bushes (yes, hopped), down the driveway, to the front desk (nobody there and the office had a CLOSED sign on it) – Finally Terria popped out of the office. She had been waiting for us – Okay, so she got the unlucky task of hanging out for snooty L.A. guests on a Sunday night instead of at home watching “60 minutes” The office closes at FIVE, so thanks for waiting, Terria! GET THE GATE CODE BEFORE YOU ARRIVE:

4) Mistake #4 - I have a wicked bad back and the main thing I forgot to ask was, “how soft/hard are the beds?” – They are SUPER SOFT which is nice if you like to sleep on a cloud, but I need army style basic training FIRM so I wound up sleeping on one of the two single beds in the 3rd bedroom.
ASK ABOUT THE HARD/SOFT BEDS

5) Mistake #5 - TV’S – If you have kids and they insist on brining their XBOX, Wii, PlayStation, MAKE SURE the TV’s have HDMI inputs. Two of the 3 TV’s did NOT and the 3rd only had ONE HDMI input which means I could only watch “House of Cards” in the living room.

Now, onto the good:

I’m a “foodie” and Shawnemae booked us into the best restaurants (Coyaba, Coco Bistro, Seven, Mango Reef, Bella Luna, Garam Masala) and a great tour of “Iguana Island”. She provided pails, shovels and beach toys for the kids and was exactly what everyone else has said here… wonderful.

The rooms are great, all overlooking the ocean, with bug nets (fantastic) – Great air conditioning, even a separate AC unit for the master bedroom.

Great kitchen with ice maker, microwave, and ALL utensils. Some I didn’t even know what they were for. There’s coffee and yes, a coffee maker and a big ice chest to take on those trips (just remember dad, you have to CARRY this stuff!) and lots of towels for the beach.

Maid service is wonderful. They even clean the sand away. And there’s always lots of sand. There’s sand everywhere. They do a really good job.

The best part? THERE’S NOBODY THERE. At the most, we saw two other couples at any given time. The pool is bath water warm (no Jacuzzi) and the only thing that would have made this a “luxury” experience would have been some sort of cabana boy (or girl) to take drink orders, but since they don’t have a bar or a restaurant…

My wife and I agree that if you’re going to call this a “luxury” resort, there should be, well, luxury. Yes, as written in other reviews there’s a bar and restaurant right next door.

Several other notes:

There’s absolutely no traffic (something I’m not used to coming from L.A.) but driving is challenging! If you’re going to Sapodilla Bay or Taylor Bay, they are about as impossible as winning the lottery. Please see directions on other reviews, they REALLY helped out. There are NO SIGNS. ANYWHERE. EVER.

I’ve read everything is expensive, but everything is Louis Vuitton EXPENSIVE:
100 for lunch – guaranteed. An apple? 100 bucks. Cheese Sandwich? 100 bucks. You think I’m joking. Just wait. Budget an extra 500 bucks minimum.

250-300 bucks for dinner at a nice place (and they’re really not that great, see my other reviews)

Grocery store – 20 bucks for a 6 pack of beer. Coke,12 bucks for ONE 12 pack. Not complaining as we’re on an ISLAND, but just be warned.

The Airport: There’s no air conditioning and it’s as miserable as being a Cubs fan. You do NOT need to arrive 2 hours ahead of time – An hour is more than enough. Their PA system is about as good as two cans and a string.

25  Thank matthew b
GMTuscanyResortTurks, General Manager at The Tuscany, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

All of us at The Tuscany are glad that the best "mistake" you made was staying with us! Thank you for your honest review of The Tuscany and Providenciales! I am sorry that Miami Airport was a nightmare for you and your family. The Provo Airport has undergone a major reconstruction over the past year - and it's a "work in progress" -- it will be amazing when it is completed! And, I am glad that I don't watch "60 Minutes" and was there to greet you and your family when you arrived after hours! Our main goal at The Tuscany is to make sure our guests are treated like family and leave not wanting to go back their home! Thanks for staying with us at The Tuscany -- and we sincerely hope you return again soon!!!

Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

I read the reviews online before booking, it got good reviews, and I have to say, the reviews were correct. The property is beautiful! The rooms are gorgeous, very clean. The staff will stock your frig and pantry before you get there if you supply them with a list. The beach is very nice, not crowed. All the staff is very nice and accommodating.

I would definitely recommend staying at The Tuscany!

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank dkmorgan5
GMTuscanyResortTurks, General Manager at The Tuscany, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2014

We LOVE getting reviews like yours -- especially since you went onto TripAdvisor and read previous reviews, then stayed at our resort, and wrote up your own to validate the others. Thank you for your kind words -- and we are happy you enjoyed your stay with us at The Tuscany!

Reviewed July 10, 2014

I stayed at the Tuscany in July 2014 with my family (3yr girl, 8yr boy) in room W203. These are condos that are apparently all individually owned and then can be rented out through the management company if they are kept to superior standards. So, some people live there, although it seemed like most were also rented out. Ours had 2 large bedrooms with bathrooms, a fully stocked (with dishes and cookware, that is) kitchen, dining room, living room, and screened-in porch with full patio furniture overlooking a gorgeous view of the ocean and sunset. There is also a washer and dryer. The unit we stayed in was beautifully decorated to every detail and pristinely up-kept. It was not cluttered, so there was no problem at all with the children knocking over delicate things. Every appliance was in excellent working order. The room was kept fastidiously clean while we were there. Coffee and bottled water provided at no cost daily. A local cell phone was also provided, although it was low tech and the battery kept running out really fast. The pool was simple, but again, wonderfully up-kept. The kids did not want to get out of the pool. Although there are many signs for "quiet zones," my kids played happily in the pool during the day without any complaints from anyone. There were also several other children of similar age there. The beach,of course, is also stunning. Of course, because it is not a resort, there is no pool bar, but you are allowed to use the facilities to the left and right and there was a pool-side bar and lunch place to our left (when looking at the ocean).

For an evening out alone, ask the management to get you in touch with sweet Beverly for sitting.

Also, we did utilize the kids club at the Grace Bay Club which was perfect. It is reasonably priced and easy to reserve (well, at least in off-season when we were there) for half or full day. And, we then kind of utilized their pool, which we probably weren't supposed to, but we did at least buy a couple of ridiculously priced drinks there to make up for it.

The only warning I have is - don't expect the management to be a true concierge service even though they bill themselves as such. Although super-friendly and polite, they were inefficient (my husband was in the office for about 30 minutes one morning without resolution of anything) and had inaccurate information about some things. For instance - you DO NOT need a guide to explore North and Middle Caicos. You can pay $10 to visit the bat caves if you want and the flamingos are viewed from the road-side. You do need a rental car there, though. You may need to ask them for certain contacts, but then I recommend making the arrangements yourself.

In the end, this facility will not let you down. Yes! to booking a stay here if you are looking for a self-sufficient, immaculate condo.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Lynne K

We are so happy that you consider The Tuscany resort an "Oasis on the Beach!". Our management team values criticism (good and bad) and we thank you for yours. We pride ourselves in giving our guests five-star service and we will work even harder and faster to accommodate guests' needs. And, thank you for your compliments on W203. It is a beautiful "end" unit whose sunset views are just spectacular! Thank you!

Reviewed July 2, 2014

We stayed at The Tuscany in June of 2014. It was overall a very good place. The island is not very large, so getting from one side to the other does not take long. The Tuscany is on the far end of the resorts on Grace Bay, so a rental car seemed almost a must for us. We arrived, and the front desk reception was very warm and welcoming. A bell hop was there to take our bags as we took a tour of the facilities. The pool is nice, however you can't see the beach very well from where it is positioned. Our room was very good. It was clean and the floor plan was good. We did take advantage of their provisional stocking service. I gave them a list ahead of time, and they had our groceries stocked on the counter and in the refrigerator when we arrived. We stayed on the third floor and it was just fine. If we go back, I would stay on the bottom floor. It's a sacrifice of view, but convenience of beach access would outweigh that for us. The screened in balcony was awesome, and we spent several evenings watching the sunset on the lounge chairs. The kitchen had everything we needed for cooking, which mainly consisted of breakfast every day. I didn't give it an excellent rating due to our parking spot assigned was further of a walk than I would have liked, and the condo amenities were not great (there is no restaurant there, but the Cabana bar at Ocean club is literally a 1 minute walk from the beach). Also the decorations were slightly dated and it just didn't have that high end feel that I've had at other places. When we go back to T&C, we plan on renting a house with another couple. The costs would be cheaper and the amenities would be just about the same.

Room Tip: Stay on corner rooms higher up, or on the bottom floor for better beach access. Try room 401 or 101...
4  Thank MartyWDDS

We are so glad that you chose The Tuscany for your summer vacation 2014 -- and so happy that you had a great experience at our resort. My apologies for the parking place being far away from the unit that you rented -- our 30 covered parking spots are designated for the 30 condos and my apologies if you had a spot further away than you liked. It is difficult to have all 30 spots close to their respective condos! We hope you enjoyed what The Tuscany considers our "on-site" restaurant -- Cabana Café! They love having The Tuscany guests wander over for breakfast, lunch and dinners! And, their food is really good, too! We hope to have you return to the Tuscany next year!

Reviewed June 26, 2014

This is going to be a long, detailed review, so if you just want a yes or no, absolutely: YES, stay here!

Now here's why:

From making our initial reservation to helping us with dinner reservations, Marzena was a true gem. She represents the property VERY well, and couldn't have been more helpful! We traveled for an anniversary and she lovingly decorated our condo with flower petals AND a bottle of wine (huge props to her!)

Marzena offered us car service to and from the airport, but when I read on the forums about how expensive the cabs can be, we opted to rent a car, and I'm very glad we did! We were met just outside customs by a rep from the rental car company (Bayside Car Rentals), and he walked us to our car in the lot. He offer for us to follow him to The Tuscany, but our car had a (fold-out) map in it, so we decided to adventure on our own. We were on the island for 5 days and drove every day, and all it cost us in gas at the end was $23 (at $6.00+/gallon, we didn't use much fuel despite lots of driving). It was nice having wheels of our own, and not being held captive to either our feet, some bikes or a taxi. The island isn't huge, but if you are planning on leaving your resort at any time, I think a car is helpful.

The Tuscany is towards the other end of the island than the airport--maybe a 15-20 min drive tops. The nice thing about its location is it is at the end of Grace Bay, the only property farther is the sister condo property The Venetian, (where you have spa privileges). Rather than feeling like you are in the middle of Daytona Beach, The Tuscany's location seems a bit less frenzied, calmer perhaps.

Marzena met us in the lobby and showed us around the property and then through our condo. The layout reminded both of us a bit of The Alhambra. There's a gorgeous pool in the center of the hotel, flanked on either end by the condo buildings and the main office. The pool has a hot tub, and they also provide floats you can abscond with and float in the ocean. Before even getting into our condo, we both remarked how pretty the resort is: beautifully landscaped and lighted, it's gorgeous! The resort has 30+ 3 bedroom condos, only a handful are available to rent. Since it was the two of us, the extra rooms in our condo were locked.

Now the condo: stunning. Ours was on the 2nd floor. Lovely screened-in porch with ceiling fans; perfect for morning coffee and late night drinks. Inside was a spacious master bedroom with a huge bathroom: separate toilet, stand-up shower, full tub, and two sinks. Towels were changed every day...thank you ladies! Two full closets and a safe. Air conditioning worked like a German watch; the kitchen was fully operational: coffee maker (they provide coffee and sugar and coffeemate); full fridge, dish washer (they provide soap), toaster, ice in the fridge and two common grills outside. The linens and pillows were heavenly. Housekeeping was discreet and VERY thorough.

Full-sized washing machine and dryer were available in our condo, and they provided detergent powder. They provided paper towels and napkins, and luckily our unit (202--AWESOME!) had Tupperware as we forgot to buy plastic wrap at the local market. Plastic glasses allowed us to bring beach drinks to the beach, and glass glasses allowed us to beautifully celebrate at night.

Marzena also provided us a cell-phone in case we needed it.

Beach: umbrellas were opened and closed every day/night. Each umbrella had a small table and four full lounge chairs. There's a shower to help rinse off the sand. There's a roped-off swimming area just for The Tuscany, and we spent almost every afternoon floating in the roped area, enjoying the beauty of the Turks (very calm water where we were). Next door is a resort with a restaurant I would skip: we had a drink there the first night and there was no booze in it...Ocean Club, I think. If you want to rent a boat for sailing, there's a place on the beach right next to the Tuscany.

We did about half of our dinners out, half we cooked in. There are two Gateway IGAs on the island, one closer to The Tuscany, and we bought a few things there. Be prepared: food is all brought into the island and is beyond expensive. After reading the forums, we brought food with us, and I was very glad we did. At $6/melon and $10/pack of bacon, your vacation food dollars won't go far. Even the locally grown tomatoes were $5/pound.

Having traveled all over the world, a few times throughout the Caribbean, I cannot more highly recommend The Tuscany. We did a day pass to Club Med to do their snorkel expedition, and there was absolutely no comparing the two properties. I guarantee, you will not regret staying at The Tuscany. I very, very highly recommend this property!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
9  Thank spinItaly
GMTuscanyResortTurks, General Manager at The Tuscany, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2014

Thank you for such an amazing write-up on your stay with us at The Tuscany! Our staff prides themselves on five star service -- from our management staff like Marzena to our wonderful groundsperson/gardener, Gregario, who has been on staff since we opened! We truly want each guests' experience to be one they will always remember. We're so honored you chose The Tuscany!

Reviewed June 17, 2014

This was our first trip to the Turks and Caicios. We have been to many places in the Caribbean, and Grace Bay is the most spectacular beach we have ever seen! The Tuscany is amazing!! The property is elegant and pristine. Being at the end of Grace Bay, it was quiet and peaceful. Most days we had the beach and pool to ourselves. The condo was beautiful. The staff, especially Marzenna, were friendly, helpful, and always professional. We had 9 wonderful, relaxing days. We never visit the same place twice but we will definitely be back next summer and highly recommend staying at The Tuscany. Thank you for an amazing trip! We did not want to leave.

8  Thank Kimberly H

We are so glad that you chose The Tuscany as your vacation destination this year! And, we are thrilled that you plan on returning next summer! We love our location because it allows our guests to unwind and spend quality time with loved ones! Will also pass the compliment on to Marzena -- as our staff prides themselves on five star service and it's nice to be recognized for that!

Reviewed June 9, 2014

This was our third time staying at The Tuscany--and not our last. We very much enjoyed our family time...quiet, relaxed, removed from the daily routine as much as possible. Beautiful, quiet, almost secluded end of the beach. Nothing on this end of Grace Bay to bring in the crowds so it truly is almost like a private beach. Ms. Lisette from housekeeping kept our place beautiful. Ms. Shawnemae and Ms. Tierra did it again---so warm and welcoming. Just last night, our young son made the comment, "I miss our Turks and Caicos home." There are extra beach/pool supplies you can borrow--we made a different sand castle every morning. The staff at The Tuscany even provided a crib, crib-bedding, and a high-chair for the baby. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. We ate every meal outside on the screened in porch--what a view. We brought two checked bags of food with us--even frozen meat, and frozen meals I prepared ahead of time. The food stayed completely brick-solid frozen for the 8 hour travel day. This saved a lot of money since food is so expensive for a family to eat out for every meal. What could be better than spending a week with the ones you love making wonderful memories?...Knowing that you are coming back to do it all over again. You'll find us at The Tuscany again next year.

Room Tip: All units face the ocean with a screened in porch.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank walkerexpat
GMTuscanyResortTurks, General Manager at The Tuscany, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

We sincerely hope that you make it a fourth time down in 2015! Thanks for your kind words -- guests like you who come to the Tuscany year after year are what makes The Tuscany so special. I will pass the compliments on to Lisette and Shawnemae!