We spent nine days at Aquamarine beach houses in the Seabreeze 2 bedroom with our two small children (3 and 6) and we had an awesome time. Here is the real-deal on our stay at Turks and Caicos:
1. Check the police website for more info on recent criminal activity on the island: www.tcipolice.tc.
There was a break-in the night we got there in the unit underneath us. Jon and Paula reacted by having a security guard on from dusk till dawn and added more lighting around the units.
2. Rent a car! You can see so much more of the island and it gives you a plan B if the weather is overcast. Go to Sapodilla Bay for a swim and experience an amazing shallow waterfront and warm, calm waters for the kids.
3. There is a children's park right next door to the beach houses and the kids loved it. It is a bit run down compared to Canadian park equipment but it kept them entertained! Wear sandals as there are a lot of little burrs in the sand.
4. There is an abundance of beach toys, snorkelling equipment and other beach essentials provided by Paula and Jon. Is everything brand new? No. Does it really matter? No. If you wanted top of the line stuff then you should probably save up a few more mortgage payments and go to Beaches or another high end luxury place.
5. The food is expensive at the grocery store. Strawberries are $5 per container, cereal is almost $7-8 a box. 6 croissants were over $6! Bring food. We brought two suitcases of non-perishable food (pancake mix, crackers, cereal, cookies, rice, pasta). Saved us a ton of money!
6. A very allergy friendly place. We told Paula about our daughter's peanut, tree nut, kiwi and shellfish allergies and she informed all other guests about our child's allergy and let them know not to bring those items to public areas. It was incredibly thoughtful. She also removed the carpet in our room and any other spices and oil which would normally be in the room to avoid cross-contamination. It eased our fears and it was an amazing thing for her to do.
7. There is a washing machine on site so don't worry about bringing too many clothes.
8. If you're not staying near Salt Mills (Beaches and more expensive places) and you're driving places you'll be more exposed to the poverty that exists on the island. I think we were a bit shocked because we thought of Turks and Caicos as being glamorous, rich and fancy. In some parts, it is. In most parts it is just regular families just trying to get by. Go to more local establishments and shops and help support them. Avoid the higher priced Salt mills shops and go off the beaten path a bit if you feel comfortable.
A great trip! Have fun!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aquamarine Beach Houses offers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 8 br unit combination for you to choose from. Situated on world-famous Grace Bay Beach, join the Aquamarine Beach House family and experience 300+ feet of truly sandy beach (roped in swim zone) with excellent snorkeling right outside your door. Free amenities to include in-ground salt water pool with loungers, pro-tennis court, volley ball area, double seated sea kayaks, snorkel attire, beach toys, sandy beach, cabanas and beach chairs provided. All units are tastefully decorated with comfy furniture for you to relax, full size kitchens & propane BBQ grills ready for your self-catering needs. Free high speed internet, large selection of cable channels, personal local mobile phone.... SECURITY to include monitored high tech surveillance cameras, security patrol cars & on property security personnel. Owner representatives reside on property. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Aquamarine Beach Houses reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aquamarine Beach Houses Hotel Providenciales
- Aquamarine Beach Hotel
- Aquamarine Beach Houses Turks And Caicos/Providenciales