“bad business practices”
Review of Big Blue Unlimited

Big Blue Unlimited
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: 'FIRST IN, LAST OUT' is part of our motto for maximizing the guest experience. Specializing in small group and private eco-adventures our intimate and educational programs include scuba diving, kayaking, stand-up paddle-boarding, kite-boarding, snorkeling, biking and cultural eco-tours that span the entire breadth of the Turks and Caicos archipelago. The Ocean is our inspiration, exploring is our passion and innovation is our trademark. Since 1997 Big Blue Unlimited has continued to set the standards in adventure across the Turks & Caicos Islands and has never wavered from its core philosophy that 'less is more'.
San Francisco
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“bad business practices”
Reviewed July 14, 2010

we made a reservation to go on a half-day kayak tour but ended up not being able to go because our hotel check out was earlier than when we would get back from the trip. we tried calling the night before but there was no answer and no voicemail to leave a message. nowhere in their literature, on their website, or when we made the reservation by phone were we informed about any cancellation policy. we called first thing in the morning when they opened and canceled and were led to believe it would not be a problem. an hour later, they charged our credit card for the full amount of the trip. pretty steep cancellation charge, so be careful. we disputed it with the credit card company and got it reversed but it's just bad business so if we go back, i doubt we'll book anything with this company.

1 Thank nocilantro

Houston, Texas
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Big Blue's knowledgeable staff made it a perfect day!”
Reviewed July 8, 2010

We met Big Blue Unlimited's staff at Club Med and discussed a private charter for our group of 9. We wanted to explore the islands a bit, do some snorkeling and try conch salad. We were given several options at different price points. Our charter captain was Lynn, assisted by Ben. Both worked hard to meet our needs and add to our fun without intruding on our family time. We started with a visit to Little George Cay, a great place to collect shells. Lynn talked to us about the ecosystem and encouraged us to take just the shells we really needed. She also helped us find the treasured sand dollars. We were never rushed.

Ben was in charge of making a delicious conch salad of conch from the conch farm. He educated us about the aphrodisiac effects of the conch, then made a great salad while we swam and played. Next was a snorkel excursion. Big Blue has excellent equipment and extras!

We were greeted from our swim with a snack of fresh fruit, hummus and carrots, and juice. Big Blue is very eco-conscious and does not use disposable cups or cans of sodas.

We thoroughly enjoyed our day. We felt Big Blue listened to what we wanted and never felt rushed. The office and boat staff all made sure everyone was happy before, during, and after our trip.

Massapequa Park, New York
“Top Notch - Can't Wait to Return”
Reviewed June 23, 2010

We traveled to Turks and Caicos for the open water portion of our scuba certification...with something like this (especially for anxious people like me) the people make all the difference. Laura and Jackie were fantastic - incredibly knowledgeable and made the days so fun and memorable - not to mention how much they taught me and how patient they were. Down to the detail of Chester lending me his personal equipment because it was a better fit for me - a true example of the level of service Big Blue provides. It's all we've talked about since we left - we can't wait to go back - not to just dive with Big Blue again, but to try their other tours on the other Turks and Caicos islands. You can count on them to provide an amazing experience. The only slight glitch was a discrepancy in the fees (which can be avoided easily with better communication beforehand) - and even then, Mark at Big Blue handled the issue like a consummate professional...without a doubt, guaranteeing that we are customers for life.

Vancouver, Canada
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“This is why I came to the Turks and Caicos”
Reviewed June 15, 2010

We went on the Kayak Eco Tour and had a wonderful time. They picked us up for no extra charge from our hotel and dropped us off. We got dropped off at Danny Buoys so we could have lunch. We met our guide when we arrived at the Big Blue headquarters. His name was Cardy. He gave us the run down of the islands using a map and told us what we were going to do. We made our way to the kayaks, which were much more confortable than the ones at our hotel. Cardy gave us a simple lesson on how to work the kayaks and then pushed us off. We kayaked into the mangroves and looked for wildlife. We saw sea turtles, stingrays, lemon sharks, bonefish, upsidedown jellyfish, and many birds. He told us all about the mangrove tree and the islands during the entire trip. He also answered all of our questions happily. We then made our way to Half Moon Bay and got out of our boats. It was bsolutely gorgrous and we were the only ones there. Cardy brought out some fruit and quickly the iguanas came running. We had about 5 around us the entire time. We know not to feed them but they still hoped we'd drop something. We spent a while there and got back in the kayaks and made our way to iguana island on Little Water Cay. We saw a lot of iguanas and it was a beautiful place. After Iguana island we kayaked back to Big Blue. This was one of the highlights of our trip. I picked Turks and Caicos because I wanted to do these kinds of things and I'm glad we went with Big Blue and I'm glad Cardy was our guide. He was knowledable and a lot of fun.

1 Thank ckredhead
Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“For Scuba Beginners..Private instructor or small group dive..from Big Blue..is worth it!...”
Reviewed June 14, 2010

It was my first time to go scuba diving. I'm glad we had our private instructor (Chester) from Big Blue..since we only had 3 days to explore and do some activities. Mark was very informative over the phone when I inquired about their activities a week before our arrival. My husband is a certified rescue diver and I did't want to spoil his time waiting on me while I get comfortable. Chester was very informative, and a very safe instructor. My experience made me confident to pursue my certification someday...we will be diving yearly..from now on. We rented a private charter for the whole day and it was worth it. I suggest try the snuba first if you haven't tried scuba at all. The snuba will give you an idea of how scuba diving feels at a more shallower and less intimidating environment.You can get the private instructor without the private charter. If you only have 3 -4days to stay on the island, I suggest plan your days ahead, so you can do more activities without trying to waste your time finding out where to go and what to do. Caicos dream tours was also a good experience to do...diving for your conch shell and make it into a conch salad..was great. If you eat sushi..or ceviche...you'll love the conch salad. If you don't eat sushi...try it anyway..you'll love it. Maybe better than calamari.

1 Thank DrGDallasToothfairy