“Incredible experience”
Review of Big Blue Unlimited

Big Blue Unlimited
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: 'FIRST IN, LAST OUT' is part of our motto for maximizing the guest experience. Specializing in small group and private eco-adventures our intimate and educational programs include scuba diving, kayaking, stand-up paddle-boarding, kite-boarding, snorkeling, biking and cultural eco-tours that span the entire breadth of the Turks and Caicos archipelago. The Ocean is our inspiration, exploring is our passion and innovation is our trademark. Since 1997 Big Blue Unlimited has continued to set the standards in adventure across the Turks & Caicos Islands and has never wavered from its core philosophy that 'less is more'.
New Brunswick
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Incredible experience”
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

On a recent trip to Providenciales we decided to try stand up paddle board and chose Big Blue. This proved to be a great decision. After a thorough and entertaining lesson with Ray our group of six headed out on a tour of the mangroves. Despite a bit of wind and current we were able to enjoy the adventure while Ray taught us about the mangroves and habitat. He pointed out a shark, barracuda, numerous variety of fish, and upside down jellyfish. Although I struggled with balance and fell off several times Ray was very patient in helping me to get upright again! The scenery and exercise was wonderful and would recommend trying it.

calgary, canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Disappointed excursion”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I have a hard time rating between Poor and Average for our second time to Big Blue Unlimited.
When my husband and I went last year we were so impressed that we booked twice with them.
Excited to go back this year we recommended the company to 6 other friends that were also on the island at the same time.
We booked Paddle boarding for $85 per person. Worth it last year, complete disappointment this year.
The weather was very windy, and we were surprised that Big Blue did not cancel the trip to another day like they had done last year for us. Instead the girls at the reception desk were unfriendly taking our money, and although Ben our guide was very friendly and informative, he wasted alot of our supposedly 2hour excursion with deciding on whether we should paddle board or kayak due to the wind. We all felt swayed to do the kayaking feeling that he didn't want to spend the extra time with us paddle boarding in the wind. The kayaks made anything that may have been visable in the mangroves impossible and we saw a shadow of a shark due to being so low to the water. This was not mentioned when the kayaks were suggested. The two hour excursion was less than 1.5 hours from start to finish. I felt very cheated and I know the rest of the group I was with all said that they would not go with Big Blue again.
I love the idea of the company, and as I said we had an excellent experience last year, but I would be hard pressed to go again when we return next year.

I hope that the staff read the reviews and take into account that most of us save all year for these types of trips and excursions and would far rather be re accomodated to better weather days than feeling like we were just another dollar in the cash register.

Visited March 2014
BigBlueUnltd, Owner at Big Blue Unlimited, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Shans8, we do read through the reviews periodically and find the feedback very constructive. Thank you for taking the trouble to write with your comments about the windy SUP/kayak trip this month. We are very sorry that conditions were not favourable for your excursion. We generally take great pains to try and reschedule any of the eco-tours if it is too windy to do the activity. Many apologies that this did not happen this time around for you and yours friends. We naturally want all our guests to enjoy the many adventures that we offer and would ask that you contact us so that we might discuss this personally with you. Many thanks, Big Blue Unlimited.
Leo
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Awesome snorkeling, but....”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We booked the half day snorkeling that included three stops of snorkeling. All the staff is very friendly and the boat is fine. We arrived fairly quickly to our first snorkeling site and had put down the anchor and was almost ready to get in the water when the captain received a call that a whale had been sighted. So he really wanted to chase the whale and asked some of the group if that was okay, but didn't ask everyone. So pulled anchor and off we went. It would probably have been okay had the whale been closer to where we had stopped, but it was quite a boat ride to reach the vicinity of where the whale had been spotted. And then we sat and waited, and then gave chase and then sat and waited and then gave chase. We did this for an hour and could see the whale briefly in the distance before the whale finally had enough of the game and left. We wasted an hour on this. If I had booked a whale watching excursion, then this would have been great, but we lost out on one snorkeling spot because of this. I really enjoyed the snorkeling area that we finally stopped at and the assistant to the captain got in the water with us. Saw some nurse sharks which was so cool. Then we stopped at a shipwreck close to one of the cays and the water was absolutely breathtaking beautiful and clear. The assistant did not get in the water with us here and it was a much shorter stop. I would have liked this location better, but as soon as I was in the water, I got into a cloud of thimble jellyfish so I spent much of that time trying to stay away from them. I did not know at the time what they were so did everything wrong when I got back in taking care of the stings and ended up with a lot of intense itchy spots. I do feel that on these excursions, guests should be warned that it is possible to encounter these creatures and what should be done to neutralize the stings. I had to google quite a bit before I found information and pics about them.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank perepen
Dear Perepen, thank you for the feedback. What a shame that the whale encounter last month was not more successful because we have had tons of amazing ‘soft’ in-water and whale watching experiences over the years and particularly with the migrating Humpback whales this season (see the amazing photography on our Facebook page). We agree that it is a tough call on public trips for the Big Blue guides to get a general consensus from all our guests before deviating from the planned agenda. We do not offer ‘whale-watching’ excursions because mother-nature sets her own terms on where and when we might see whales. But that said when the opportunity to track whales occurs it is difficult not to respond because we have facilitated some ‘once in a life-time’ experiences for our guests as a result. The nature of tracking and ultimately slipping into the water with whales is generally an exercise in patience and whale awareness and this can take time. We are also aware that as a result this can take valuable snorkel time away from a planned excursion and that an unsuccessful encounter can be very disappointing. We do appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback so please feel free to contact us directly with the date of your trip so that we might discuss this personally with you. Yours kindly, Big Blue Unlimited
Somma lombardo
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Big Blue”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I made 2 excursions with Big Blue Unlimited during my stay in Providenciales. 1 full day excursion to Middle and North Caicos and 1 half day snorkelling and both of them were fantastic. Very well organised,interesting and more important involving local people. Just unforgettable the lunch at Susan house during the 1 day excursion. Susan prepared the lunch for us and we had it in her house.I can not thank enough for this experience. Also the groups are very small. Thank as well to Captain Blue who is a fantastic guide,passionate and being a local resident he knows everything about Turks and Caicos.If you stay in Providenciales make yourself a favour and book with Big Blue.Anna

Cincinnati, Ohio
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Great Service for Kayak Rentals”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We used Big Blue Unlimited to rent tandem kayaks which were delivered and picked up at our villa while we were on vacation in Provo recently. I arranged for the rentals before we arrived and everything went very smoothly when we were there. The equipment and life jackets were all excellent, as was the delivery and pick up service. We were lucky to meet Mark when the kayaks were delivered, and he was very helpful in guiding us to good spots for kayaking which were near our villa, in addition to telling us about some of the other services that Big Blue offered, which we hope to take advantage of the next time we visit Provo (the trip to Middle Caicos sounded interesting, as did the eco kayaking tour.)

Visited February 2014