“Hidden Treasure!”

The Somerset on Grace Bay
Ranked #3 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I just returned from the Somerset after celebrating my July 4th Birthday! In one word my stay was AMAZING! The property is beautiful with gorgeous villas, an infinity pool, and the most pristine beach that I have ever seen.I especially want to commend the AMAZING staff who went above and beyond to make sure I had a great birthday.I was blown away when a gift basket and personalized birthday card was brought to my room at check-in! The spa and food was also wonderful. A special shout out to key staff:Lachelle, Carmen, Alicia, Clifton, Winston, Katia, Michelle, Leonela, Arlean, the list goes on.All of the staff provided first class service. I can't wait to return for the Lobster fest in the Spring!!! I have told all of my friends that the Somerset definitely is the place to visit for a relaxing getaway with first class service. ---Donna E.from Atlanta

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Dbe704

Reviewed July 3, 2014

What a beautiful resort! A one week stay at the Somerset was the perfect combination of relaxation and adventure. The rooms and grounds are exquisite, the frozen drinks are refreshing and the beach is a little slice of paradise. To burn off some of those vacation calories or spend some time in the crystal blue waters, the resort offers paddle boards, kayaks, and sailboats to take out whenever you please. I stayed at the resort with my friend and her family and I found it to be a wonderful place for families, couples, or friend groups- there is a little something for everybody! I left feeling relaxed, refreshed, and blessed to have been able to spend time at a beautiful resort with my friend. From a girl that knows luxury, this hotel comes highly recommended.

Room Tip: I stayed in a villa on the croquet lawn and it was quiet, spacious, and just a short walk to the bea...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Gab F
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I have been to Turks and Caicos several times for the past seven years and I have to say that The Somerset on Grace Bay is the best resort that I have ever stayed at. The location was stunning, the service was great and the amenities were great. If yo u are looking for a vacation with the family on a peaceful island - this is definitely the place!

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter, but still have an ocean view on the top floor. We stayed in Cottage 5...
2  Thank islandhopper8899
Reviewed June 30, 2014

This was a return trip for me. I had been at the Somerset in the winter and was so enamored that I asked for a return visit for our anniversary in June. Back int he winter the staff had talked about the opening of a Spa at the Resort, and I was doubly curious to see how the spa would compete with the others on island (there are a number of world class spas which I have favored) and greatly anticipating the new experience. We decided to try a different service everyday - well I had, my husband was only interested in the massage. The first day I started with a mani/pedi - and it was excellent. The service area for this treatment was on the expansive verandah on the side of the reception building - it was a delightful setting, so refreshing to be outside and not smell the nail polish chemicals. The second day I had a facial, I couldn't pick so I asked the therapist to customize one for my skin - it was amazing, I convinced my husband to try it the next day and he said it was an amazing experience. The next day I had detox body wrap, guaranteed to help with my weight lose attempt, and yes it did work - shockingly - I was a sceptic. The final day both of us had a massage - deep tissue for my husband, and a follow up detox massage for me. The services we received were amongst the best we have experienced any where. The spa is small (two treatment rooms, a steam room and the mani/pedi area)and intimate like the Resort, very well appointed and quite lovely. The weather in June was better than in the winter - balmy days, warm ocean water, and cooler evenings. Reminds me of Tahiti. The staff were just as friendly and welcomed us back - made us feel like homecoming. I can hardly wait to go back - there is a yoga retreat in October I am aiming for and a writer's workshop in November - difficult decision.

Room Tip: Really enjoyed the off season!!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Just returned from 5 night stay. The Somerset on Grace Bay is an amazingly beautiful resort. None of the pictures I've seen actually due it justice. Our family of four, parents and two adult children, stayed in a two bedroom ocean view penthouse villa that was extremely spacious, beautifully decorated, immaculately maintained and extremely comfortable from the moment we arrived. The view from the balcony was stunning (although dining table had only 3 chairs, making family game of Bananagrams on the balcony difficult) & perfect for relaxing with a good book. If you don't bring one of your own, no worries. The villa includes a beautiful bookcase complete with books. Also, another huge armoire in the breezeway (one of the many picturesque & relaxing spots on the resort) is filled with a good selection of novels as well as coffee table books which chronicle TCI history and culture. Bathrooms were beautifully done in marble and limestone with separate showers, water closets. Master bath included spacious dressing room and huge soaker tub with air jets. Kitchen was enormous, very well equipped & included Viking appliances. As perfect as the accommodations were, we quickly changed into our swimwear and headed to the most beautifully tranquil beach I've ever been on. (Have lived on Oahu & visited Bahamas, Jamaica, Mexico & Belize--I'd put Grace Bay right at the top). Unlike the mega-resort all inclusives, the beach at the Somerset is sparsely populated & feels like your own private paradise. Plenty of water activities & the beach staff is very helpful. Kayaks, paddle boards, Hobie cats, snorkel gear are readily available & we enjoyed them all, no waiting. Only two restaurants on the property, food & drinks at both were outstanding! Resort is perfectly located, we enjoyed walking along the beach to nearby reef for excellent snorkeling where an unbelievable variety & number of fish & coral can be seen right off the beach! Got great pictures! Quaint little town with other food options & shopping is within easy walking/biking distance so no need to bother with hassle of rental car. Enjoyed a pleasant bike ride into town on nice complimentary beach cruisers. Encountered genuinely friendly local townspeople with many stopping to say hello and welcome us to their island, on our stroll back from dinner one evening. Dinner at Mr Grouper's was rustic atmosphere with absolutely delicious locally prepared and reasonably priced food! Spa is very small & possibly recently opened; however, extremely accommodating as they managed to provide excellent body massages to 3 in our party on short notice the morning we left. This was as near perfect a vacation destination as we've ever experienced. Am a little puzzled by others observations regarding lackluster service. Service is not overbearing nor artificially friendly yet staff was anticipatory & all our requests were promptly & courteously attended to. Would highly recommend this resort for couples, families or girlfriends getaway.

2  Thank RelaxRelateRelease
Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

The Somerset is really great. The place is so beautiful and the atmosphere is very relaxing. The staff is so nice, they greeted us with rum punches upon arrival! If you're looking to be active all day there are paddle boards, sail boats, kayaks ect. Also if you're looking to relax it is very peaceful. The somerset also has a lot to offer, my favorite being the movie night on the lawn (frozen). All around an amazing vacation, highly recommend the Somerset!

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank cq1321
Reviewed June 24, 2014

My family of 5 just returned from a week at Somerset on Grace Bay. The property itself is breathtaking and very well-maintained. Our unit (Stirling 106 - 2 BR pool view) was well-appointed, immaculate and very comfortable.

When we arrived at the airport, we were greeted by staff that offered us water and helped us get our taxi for the quick ride to the resort. Upon reaching the resort, the check-in staff offered us drinks and cool towels with eucalyptus, which was a nice touch. We were taken to our room immediately and our bags soon followed.

The property is situated on a stunning portion of Grace Bay with water like butter and the softest sand you’ll ever touch. The resort is breathtakingly beautiful and truly one of the prettiest of all of the resorts we saw.

We were very impressed with our condo. It was tastefully decorated, very clean, completely stocked with every amenity and plenty of space for our family (Myself, husband and 3 boys: 14, 11 and 9).

We had requested a rollaway bed when we made our reservation. Unfortunately, we had to make several requests to get the bed and it ultimately arrived after 11pm when we were already asleep (one child asleep on the couch). We understand that you’re on “island time” while in the Caribbean, but we had made numerous requests throughout the day AND, our request had been noted on the reservation.

My husband had also made prior arrangements with Michelle (events) requesting a bottle of champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, (we were celebrating our wedding anniversary) and balloons (my son was celebrating his birthday) to be waiting in our room when we arrived. All of those requests were waiting for us, including rose petals in the master bedroom and bath.

Our dining experiences on the property were good, with the exception of the service. This applies to both the poolside bar as well as Pavillion. Claudio at Pavillion was one of the friendliest people we encountered there, with the exception of a couple of others. The rest of the staff seemed generally disgruntled and annoyed by even simple requests. They seemed particularly irritated during the breakfast hours…probably because they knew most were not going to order much beyond the complimentary continental breakfast (which was the same food every day).

Our kids were very excited about the water sports on the beach…paddle boarding, kayaking and snorkeling were all included in our package. You have to sign a waiver each day. Our first 2 days they tried to charge us for the watersports, but a visit to the front desk resolved that. I’m guessing not all packages include the watersports? One evening they had a bonfire with s’mores for the kids, which my boys really enjoyed. Yoga is offered on the beach once a week, $25 per person.

Upon check-out, we found several charges that were not ours…in fact, more than $400 in erroneous charges! Thankfully, the charges were removed before we left the property. But, this left a bad taste as we checked out. Check your charges!!

In addition to the erroneous charges, included on our check-out bill were itemized charges for the requests my husband had made, including a $57 charge for rose petals! Wow. We understood that everything is more expensive on the island because it has to be brought in, but this charge and the $17 charged for balloons non-helium/latex) seemed excessive. My husband was not happy that I saw those charges since it was something he had pre-arranged.

We ate well at the resort restaurant, Pavillion, but their prices are @3x that of some of the other places with better service. The resort restaurants automatically include a 10% gratuity on all charges, which we didn’t experience anywhere else. Somerset is close to several very decent restaurants, all conveniently within short walking distance.:
* Mr. Grouper’s – a short walk away and a more casual atmosphere…best food all week!
* Mango’s – delicious food and the best service we experienced all week. 2 Resorts down with a nice beach walk. Ask for Ramon as your server. Stunning sunset views from the deck.
* Siobonne – good food, conveniently located next door.
* Hemingway’s - deck overlooking ocean, good service and food.

The grocery store is also a quick taxi ride away if you want to stock your place with some basics. The resort has loaner bikes with baskets if you don’t need to buy too much.

Towards the end of our stay, we decided to book an excursion on my son’s birthday. I had done my Trip Advisor research and knew that Caicos Dream Tours were very well-reviewed. The concierge informed us that they didn’t work with that company, but they would negotiate a similar package (also to include some fishing per the birthday boy’s request). He assured us that we would get food, drinks, etc. We paid more than $1200 for a half-day private tour through Silver Deep. Captain Lucky and TaTa were fun and our boys all had a great time catching grouper and snapper. Unfortunately, our $1200 didn’t come close to including what we would’ve gotten through Caicos Dreams, (no beach bbq, only a cooler with some sodas and water) so we couldn’t help but feel a little taken advantage of.

In summary, Somerset is a lovely resort situated on a slice of paradise. It’s a great place for those not seeking a “mega-resort,” but preferring more of a boutique feel. The housekeeping and grounds staff do an amazing job keeping everything beautiful. The rooms are well-appointed and very comfortable. The service needs an overhaul with hospitality training though. The Somerset really could be amazing if they could just polish their hospitality and service skills and not leave you feeling “Nickel and dimed”.

9  Thank campofam