So, we stayed here for a week (just got back) in a 1BR Gardenview. We have a 2 yo so having a place w a kitchen was important. I was worried that we didn't have a place that was overlooking the water but the resort is small so it was not a big deal at all. All of units are individually owned - ours the owners had converted the "garage" into a second BR so that was a nice surprise for us. In short, here are my pros and cons
- Really friendly and great staff. Especially Warren & Nadine who I think we interacted w/ the most but everyone was generally friendly. (Except there is one at the front desk (can't remember her name, who wasn't really friendly but she wasn't nasty - just not super friendly like the others))
- Practically had the place to ourselves! The pool is really nice and not overcrowded. There was never more than 10 ppl at the pool and a lot of times we had the pool to ourselves
Right on the Beach, very very close. You can get a chair/umbrella any time of day you want no issues and towel service was great (and they had beach toys for the kids and sunscreen and floats too that was nice!)
- Feels more like you live there than you are visiting. So it doesn't really feel like a "resort" I guess this can be a bad thing depending on what you want, but we didn't want a Club Med or Beaches type of vaca (which btw I walked by Beaches and it was INSANITY! so glad I didn't book them! They had papers on all the chairs "reserving" the spots on the beach.. ick)
- Housekeeping services was excellent. Always multiple people coming to clean and they always did a great job. Esp with a 2 yr old and trekking all that sand in it was helpful!
- Appliances were really nice. All Viking and all working well. (Also, high end bath products Molten Brown)
- The Tues night BBQ was good. Worth the money *but take heed, drinks are not included!!!!!! and was a lot of fun. We let our 2 yo stay up late and she danced on the dance floor all night (sometimes all alone!) Good music (except DJ can't transition between songs so if you are a music buff this will annoy you but you learn to let it go!) and the food was really good
The cons.... (which is why they are minus a green dot in my book and would have been down another half if that was the option.....)
- No SPA. BAHH! I didn't research this and I was really bummed. The Regent Palms right next door has one but we never could get over there....
- All the utensils in our unit were really dated. All the knives were dull and rusted so that was frustrating and our DVD player didn't work in the living room and the jaccuzzi tub also didn't work (it filled with water but no jaccuzzi!)
- Also, if you have a little one, it's pretty nerve wracking because there are a lot of stairs in the unit and it's not guarded by anything, nor is it soft (it's like a marble type material) so my heart beat fast every time I couldn't find my daughter or hear her, I thought she fell down the stairs! If you have an active little one who is not great with stairs yet... I would either bring a gate or be prepared to follow them around everywhere
- With the exception of the BBQ and the morning free pastries and fruit - The food you pay for is NOT GOOD AT ALL. Sorry to say! :( We had lunch at the pool and our chips were completely stale, my cole slaw was sour - and not cole slaw sour like mayo gone bad sour... and the first night we ordered a cup of milk for my daughter, she took a sip and spit it out. I took a sip and threw up.... the milk must have been weeks old or sitting out all day or something it was SOOOO bad!!!!!!! We had dinner once at O'Solei on premise. First there is NEVER anyone there.... which I think is telling.. and... we ordered the conch soup which was SO salty and gritty like they didn't clean the conch or there was sand in the soup and my daughter had pizza which she ate one bite of (and she eats everything!) I took a bite and it tasted like melted cheese on stale bread... and the soup and kids pizza cost us 40!!!!!!!!! Better off travelling somewhere else (see my review on Somewhere Cafe and Bar.. which was Excellent!)
- There's really not much to do at Somerset except go to the pool, beach and sleep. So if that's the kind of vaca you are hoping for then this place is perfect. Honestly, I was hoping for a bit mroe "action" and things to do with the kid but you really have to seek it out. I would definitely come back here but probably not until my kid is grown up and out of my house....... if you know what I mean.
That being said... if you don't care about the food (and will cook your own most of the time or travel off resort), don't care about having hotel/resort like features like a spa, and don't have little ones (I would say infant ok, but toddler to maybe 8 would not be so great) --- then, this is a great place... I would say, better for couples, or family reunion types...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on 4.6 Acres of the world-famous Turks and Caicos beach, The Somerset on Grace Bay is an intimate luxury resort where couples and families alike enjoy treasured times together. The five-star resort features 53 one- to five-bedroom luxury villas ranging from 1,400 to 5,300 sq. Ft. Each with ample living, dining and entertaining spaces and gourmet kitchens equipped with Viking appliances. Two restaurants and bars, two freshwater pools, fitness center, full service spa with in-suite spa services, a range of activities on land and sea, complimentary Caicos Kids Club, and concierge services complement your family vacation, group getaway or romantic interlude. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, West Indies, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Somerset on Grace Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Somerset On Grace Bay Hotel Providenciales
- Somerset On Grace Bay Providenciales
- Somerset Grace Bay
- Somerset On Grace Bay Hotel
- The Somerset On Grace Bay Turks And Caicos/Providenciales