“Fabulous Stay!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Wellesley, Massachusetts
“Fabulous Stay!”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

After much research into where to go on my initial Caribbean vacation I decided on T&C. Once I'd made that decision it was time to decide where to stay. I poured over tripadvisor and expedia and orbitz reviews for all of the hotels along Grace Bay Beach, to the point of analysis-paralysis. Weeks of looking at reviews and photos of all the hotels on the travel sites and on Oyster, and then I finally made the decision to go with the Somerset as the best combination of luxury for the price, and I was not disappointed for one minute.

Visited from July 23-28th of 2013.

Everything from arrival to departure was phenomenal. Picture perfect. The facilities looked exactly as they look in the pictures on Oyster, which I wasn't expecting to be honest. I expected to be let down a little, and was thrilled when I wasn't.

Room: My room was perfectly comfortable, although to be honest the only time I was in it was to go to bed (since I was on a solo trip). I thought I might check out the TV, but never ended up doing that. Wi-Fi signal was a bit weak in my room at the front of the property, but was able to get done what I needed to.

Concierge:
Lachelle was great! She setup all my activities for me in advance and even dealt with some confusion on the part of one of them. Everything went smoothly.

Facilities:
The workout facilities did the trick, if you need to workout on vacation.
Several nice areas (front porch, breezeway through to the pool/beach) to sit and read out of the sun if you'd like. Croquet lawn is a nice touch, saw some kids playing out there.
Landscaping and buildings all look beautiful.

Restaurants:
Luna: Good lunch food and drinks, service either inside, poolside, or on the beach. Definitely hope "Five Star" is there making the drinks, he's a character. Paula took good care of all my food needs.
O'Soleil: Continental breakfast every morning was more than enough for me (banana bread was a highlight!), but others might want to order an actual meal. I can't comment on their other breakfasts because I never had one. Ate dinner here my second night and it was quite good. Definitely in the pricier-strata of island restaurants, but delicious.
Tuesday night beach BBQ buffet: BBQ dinner on the beach? What's not to like? The food was good and it's "all you can eat" so you can eat plenty of it. Make sure you try the corn, and save room for the desserts.

Beach:
Great amount of frontage and more than enough chairs and umbrellas (at least during the off-season for tourists) on a beautiful stretch of Grace Bay. Absolutely nothing to complain about here.

I had lofty expectations for my first Caribbean vacation, and the Somerset was a big part of my vacation exceeding my expectations, so I'm confident that I'll be back many times.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank aphillips105

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Lancaster, PA
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This was our 2nd stay at the Somerset and this time we stayed in a 3 BR estate villa--Flintwick--which was amazing! The quality and size of these villas is what makes Somerset so special. HUGE master BR and bath, very large 2nd BR & bath, and a smaller 3rd BR with a queen. The kitchen is HUGE too and had a separate ice maker from the refrigerator---for cocktails. Next to the accomodations was the personal attention we received from the housekeeping staff--Jocelyn, Marshalee, Jacqueline to name a few. Not only was midday service included but the evening turndown service was also extensive and included extra water bottles. With a new granddaughter we all liked the entry slope to the infinity pool--which seems to be unique to Somerset. On the beach we used the Hobie wave, paddleboards, kayaks, snorkel gear, towels, beach chairs with umbrellas and even cabanas. Bernard even took some to coral gardens on the rescue boat. Charlene at the front desk was very helpful and Ingrid was our outstanding server at breakfast.
Having previously stayed in the Stirling building I cannot imagine anyone being unhappy with the quality of accommodations at the Somerset. Similar to some other Provo options the first upgrade we'd like to see is a buffet breakfast, followed by newer watersports equipment. I'm sure the new GM has a list of planned improvements that he has in mind.
We highly recommend the Somerset.

Room Tip: The first floor Flintwick villa allowed us to simply walk out to the pool--no stairs or elevator nee...
5 Thank IrishFan-80
Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Let me begin by saying that I spent weeks reading reviews and looking for the perfect hotel to celebrate our parents' 60th birthday.. After all that research, I found it. This hotel met all our requirements: size, price, amenities, and location. The hotel has both guestrooms and apartments and all are decorated slightly different since each is owned by individuals.
We stayed in a ocean view 2-bedroom apartment; the one that is shown in the brochures. It was very well appointed with top of line appliances and stocked with everything you might need. The view from the balcony is impressive and gives you the sense of peace. The apartment is nicely decorated, very spacious, somewhere around 2,100 SF. All the staff was very friendly since the moment we got there and service was generally good. We arrived the night the hotel hosts a "beach party" and we ended up going there. Ambiance was good, but the quality of the food is not worth the $60/pp price tag... skip it.. A continental breakfast was included with our room and it consisted of a variety of fruits and pastries; the pastries were not the best but ok. The drinks at the pool bar were good but overpriced, but then again is an island and about the same elsewhere. The beach is pristine, clean and not crowded and the reef is about 25 minutes away. You can use the kayaks and snorkel gear for free, or pay a one time fee to use a paddle board and other stuff... I recommend taking your own snorkel if you can.

The other guests that were there were mainly families and couples. The pool and beach were not overcrowded at any moment.

We rented a car and getting around the island is easy and finding the hotel was not difficult at all. There are two supermarkets, both of which are 5 minutes away by car. If you are planning on staying a few days, I recommend paying them a visit to stock up with drinks and food. There are some excellent restaurants on the island, but be sure to make reservations ahead of time. Coco Bistro was excellent.

If you are trying to decide between hotels and you are considering The Somerset, look no further. I would recommend to a friend and we are planning to return next year.
Have a good time!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Anthony S
Charleston
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We've now stayed at The Somerset twice for a total of 6 weeks and we love the laid-back, casual atmosphere, beautiful landscaping and architecture, and of course the great beach. Nadine will take good care of you at the pool restaurant and Dr Clark is right there in case the prescription is another cold drink.

If you like watersports, Somerset has a good collection for a flat fee for your stay. Oliver and Bernard will take good care of your needs on the beach and are fun to chat with.

Somerset is not the zoo that is "Beaches Resort" and has a better beach front. It's right next to The Palm with great food and Mango Reef is two doors down the beach at The Alexandria. You can borrow a bike for a trip to the market or make the walk via the beach. We usually just get a rental car for $35 a day through the front office. They will set it up for you.

Somerset is a bargain for what you get. To top it off DJ Snoopy will spin up a good time every Tuesday night for a beachfront. Highly recommended.

1 Thank J H
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Urmas Kerner, General Manager at the Somerset goes out of his way to greet visitors, and makes sure your vacation needs area met. This was our 7th stay at Grace Bay, and one of our favorite Hotels.
Tania

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tania H
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We have visited the Somerset every year for the past 5 years. We had our wedding at the Somerset, and each trip has been amazing. We have stayed in many different room types, and they have all been great and wonderfully appointed. They have full kitchens with Viking appliances and very nice furnishings. They are very luxurious. If there are ever any problems, they have always been addressed promptly. The staff is all very friendly, and many are now like family. We now come with our 2 young children, and our 2 year old has such a great time. The property is right on the beach, which is amazing with powder soft sand. They also have a beach BBQ on Tues nights, which is great and not to be missed. I love how personalized this resort is and the fact that it does not feel overly commercialized like some larger resorts feel. I highly recommend visiting and will continue to go each year!

2 Thank Sandhya P
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My husband and I spent 7 amazing nights in Turks and Caicos. The Somerset was a slice of heaven....from the beautiful beach and pools, to the gorgeous rooms and wonderful staff...everything was fabulous!! We highly recommend The Somerset and look forward to visiting the island again!

• Stayed February 2013