“Very nice...but not the Caribbean we had hoped for.”
Review of Amanyara

and 1 more site!
Amanyara
Ranked #19 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed March 28, 2010

First and foremost: Amanyara is a beautiful resort. Each room has its own very private and spacious cabin. The beach is quite pretty as is the pool and common areas..you can see all of this by visiting the Amanyara web site.

But we were a bit disappointed with our experience there. Our expectations were very high. At $2,000 a night -- not including food -- how could they not be? The food, while good, wasn't great. Also this resort is very isolated -- about 40 minutes by car from other restaurants and resorts. The weather while we were there didn't cooperate, and quite frankly, when it's not beach weather, there isn't much to do. If you're looking for the Caribbean experience of still, warm water, palm trees, a gentle (as opposed to strong) breeze, this might not be the resort for you.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank weedwackers
There are newer reviews for Amanyara

Reviewed March 25, 2010

we stayed at one of Amanyara's 4 bedroom Lake Villas in January. Two great, professional and superbly friendly permanent villa staff members made our vacation an unforgettable experience. The Lake Villas at Amanyara are fantastic and we will definitely return next year. Fantastic location and design of the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 25, 2010

We stayed in one of the 4 bedroom villas with our children of 7 and 3. We have travelled a lot all over the world and have never experienced such forthcoming service especially towards the children. The villa staff organized toys for the kid's without request on our part. The private chef made special meals for the children each time and they of course loved the private pool. Tennis lessons etc. With happy kids the whole trip was a great retreat for us parents also. Great food, peace and privacy. We will be back for sure.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank World_traveller12347
Reviewed March 14, 2010

This resort is spectacular, The design is just beautiful. The rooms, service, and the entire experience are fantastic. The beach is just perfect. The staff is friendly and helpful without overdoing it, I did not hear the word "NO" once in 5 days. You feel like you are in a private home on the most amazing caribbean island. The lunch at the beach club is a pleasure. The private screening room for movies is great.
The only criticism I have is a lack of a casual dinner option, This resort is VERY quiet, so If its action you are looking for, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for pure luxury and true relaxation in a stunning setting this IS the place for you.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2010

(I'm updating TripAdvisor with long overdue reviews of all the place we've been, hope they are helpful).

We stayed at Amanyara last January. It's definitely a stunningly beautiful hotel, very serene common areas and villas.

However, being set in a mangrove forest, it just didn't have the tropical island feel with palm trees, rainforest, etc. that you get in other parts of the Caribbean (e.g. St Lucia).

If you're staying here you can probably afford to stay pretty much anywhere in the Caribbean, I'm just not sure it would be one of my top choices. (e.g. WE much prefer Jade Mountain in St Lucia - but they are very different so choose carefully based upon what YOU prefer).

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank JohnSFDC
Reviewed January 18, 2010

Stayed 2 nights in a Pavilion and although the weather was disappointing enjoyed relaxing in the beautiful room and walking on the beach. The beach would be amazing in better weather - soft white sand and clear blue water and no seaweed anywhere. Staff mainly Asian in the restaurants/bar providing good service and varied high quality food. Must return when the weather is better! By the way American Airlines lost my (and two other guests) luggage from Miami and it did not arrive for 2 days. The bellboy told me that this happens quite regularly - so pack lots of hand baggage or fly privately.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2009

I recently visited Amanyara in December and found it to be very clean, good food and great service from our housekeeper and Chef. The hotel is beautiful and so is the layout. However, a "dark cloud" hung over the whole experience because of the attitude of some of the staff members. I was asked from the moment I arrived at the resort, every single day, whether or not I was a guest at the resort! On the second day at Amanyara, my partner and I went to dinner in the main dining room. Our waitress Maidy made a point of asking me if I was a guest at the resort, I told her I was, she asked my name, I told her. She went away, came back and informed me she had checked and indeed I was a guest! Two days later on my way to the beach with may partner, as I took of my sandals, the attendant standing by the stairs to walk down to the beach put her hand out to stop me and asked if I was a guest at the resort, I told her I was, she looked at me in utter disbelief! I was not going to stand there and argue with her so I walked away towards the beach, I turned and saw her staring at me. These are the two worst experiences I had in terms of being treated this way, the others were similar, but not quite as confrontational.
I spoke to our housekeeper about it and he was horrified, He suggested I speak to the General Manager John Vasatka, which I did. I called him but he seemed very uncomfortable and not too interested in my experience. I pointed out to him that I was a person of color and my partner white, therefore, it was plainly obvious why I was being treated this way. My partner was not asked if he was a guest at any time during our stay. The General Manager finally apologized and said he would speak to the staff (even though he never asked who they guilty staff members were) and would also make it up to me. Well, of course, I never heard from him again, so as far as I'm concerned nothing was done about the situation.

It's a shame that the certain members of their staff would feel it was necessary to look at me as someone who couldn't possibly be a guest at Amanyara and even worse that the General Manager did nothing about it at all. Amanyara is truly a beautiful resort, but be warned if you're someone of color you may not get treated with respect.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
22  Thank veglet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Providenciales
The Palms, Turks and Caicos
The Regent Grand
The Regent Grand
#6 of 44 in Providenciales
COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos

Been to Amanyara? Share your experiences!