(Most of this review will be more relevant for people not staying at the Amanyara resort.)
If you are staying at any of the places in Grace Bay, then be prepared for $200+ in cab fares. Or rent you own car and ask 5 different people for directions: Amanyara is NOT easy to find but that is by design. The island doesn’t help in that road signs are scarce, so you will have to triangulate from multiple people’s directions. If you are on a dirt road for a few miles, then pass a small pack of local wild dogs who chase after you… don’t worry you are on the right track. Do not expect any road signs with comforting “Amanyara, 2 miles this direction” or the like. It isn’t going to happen. I was completely confident that we were totally lost, doomed to drive back to our own hotel and beg and plead for a burger for dinner. However we finally pulled up to a security gate, again there was absolutely no signage or any hint that we were in the right place. I had to ask the security guard “is this Amanyara?” Fortunately it was, and we were only 9 minutes late for our dinner reservation! Before he would even raise the gate, the security guard produced a bottle of hand sanitizer and told my wife and I that it was “property policy” that he give us each a squirt or two. He also told us not to take any pictures and to please leave our cameras in our cars as this was also a company policy. Ohhhh-kayyy… (?). In total allow for at least 40 minutes to drive here if you are coming from the Grace Bay area. And that is assuming you don't get lost. :)
We proceeded into the property, still with no signage and very very low lighting. We pulled into an entry circle where a greeter just said to pull into an unmarked lot and that he would help us find our way. He guided us into an entry foyer and…
BAM. Instant atmosphere. Supremely peaceful, ultra relaxing hues of calming pale oranges, cedar woods, and mother of pearl tones… minimalist furniture, décor, and even personnel. Our security guide/bellman walked us through this foyer/registration area, and into the main restaurant. The main restaurant consists of three areas: open-air ocean-facing tables, and indoor air-conditioned area, and another open-air dining area that is in the “courtyard” area of the resort. The courtyards are in fact massive ponds with wooden walkways in between. The effect and night was stunning: throughout the ponds were small bordered planters with 40ft trees that were subtly lit, reflecting perfectly off of the amazingly still pond waters.
Very attentive. Unlike most Caribbean restaurants, we actually had a dedicated server and she was spot on, giving us the right amount of space and engaging in just the right amount of conversation. At the end of the night she actually took us on a small tour around the bar, the library, etc… and made sure we ended up back at the property entrance.
Literally this was the best meal we have had on the island, our entire trip. For apps we had the simple beet salad and the nightly special cuttlefish, both of which were excellent. Then entrees were a sirloin strip, perfectly cooked and delicious, and a seared snapper, done perfectly. This was all so good that we chose to order dessert which is rare for us.. but an almond ice cream encrusted with granola was just fantastic. Regarding the wine list, you will be hard pressed to find anything under $100.
This place was fantastic. Worth the drive and the difficulty of finding it. If you are wine drinkers, be ready to spend over $400 for 2 people.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Amanyara is a secluded beachside resort situated on the coast of Northwest Point on the beautiful Providenciales in the Turks & Caicos Islands. The resort borders the pristine reefs of Northwest Point Marine National Park, acclaimed for some of the world's best wall and reef diving. With a contemporary layout and design, the timber-shingled Guest Pavilions and Aman Villas are tucked along the coast or situated inland on the edge of tranquil ponds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Amanyara reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Amanyara Hotel Providenciales
- Amanyara Resort Providenciales
- Amanyara Turks Caicos
- Amanyara Turks And Caicos/Providenciales