“Great for Seclusion, tranquility and overall Zen-like luxury”
Review of Amanyara

Amanyara
Ranked #22 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed January 28, 2013

“My wife and I are in love with this resort. Our stay was so calm and peaceful, five days filled with yoga classes, walks on the beach, poolside reading, and afternoon swims – then, of course cocktail hour pre-dinner! This resort provides a pristine ambience for a real unwind. The décor throughout the property is the ultimate in minimalist chic – and the setting is beyond stunning, clear blue water, white sand, open skies. The only thing that could top it is the courteous staff. Everybody we encountered was incredibly polite and accommodating, they each seemed genuinely interested in making our stay as perfect as possible – a quality I have found a lack at many other Caribbean destinations.”

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Consigliera-S

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed at Amanyara for 5 days and have never experienced anything close to the excellent level of service and serene environment available at this amazing resort. Every staff member was attentive, prompt in meeting our needs or desires, and very polite. The resort is impeccable, beautiful in a minimalistic way and peaceful. I thought the food was good but not great. I would love to return to Amanyara again but am thrilled that I had the opportunity to stay there at least once!! My hats off to the management and staff at Amanyara...you are truly the BEST!

Room Tip: Every villa has a beautiful view and is secluded. I was glad we didnt encounter young families with...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Julie B
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We spent five nights at the Amanyara. This was our first Aman Experience and one of the best vacations in the Caribbean. Pesonnel was very professional, forthcoming and friendly. The architecture of the resort is not only beautiful but also practical. We were assigned villa 105 (ocean view) and we could walk to to the beach, restaurant, etc. which was very convenient (may be a map in the room would be helpful to avoid getting lost the first day). It was low season, so we did not encounter any of the difficulties described by other reviewers. It was peaceful and quiet and we were not dissappointed in anything. I can highly recommend it during off season.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GranmaAlma
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We came in to the Amanyara to celebrate the New Year and with very high expectations – not only because it is an Aman property, but also because it is a very new one and because it came highly recommended by several of our friends and acquaintances.

I’m happy to report that we were not disappointed. This was easily one of the best vacations we’ve ever had, we were very sad to leave and this is now certainly our “go-to” resort for the Caribbean.

Having said that, it was not 100% perfect (I wish TripAdvisor allowed more granular ratings! I did round up this one, after much internal debate) and there are certainly some “gotchas” – things that we wish we knew coming in that would have made it an even better; in fact, that’s a big part of why we’d like to come back – because we know next time it’s going to be even better now that we know how to circumvent the few issues we ran into.

Before I get into that though I want to cover the reasons that truly make this a truly exceptional place, by going through some of the highlights of our 7-day stay:

- Our arrival in Providenciales and trip to Amanyara was a great start: in fact, as we found later (as I’ll explain in a bit), Carlos, who drove us from the airport to Amanyara is truly the best driver in the resort. It was a relaxing, if short, trip across half the island, and Carlos made sure to keep us informed of where we were, what to expect, etc. He’s truly a great guy, not only very knowledgeable about the island, but extremely professional, polite and just so incredibly nice and warm. He also always knows everything that is going on, he has a prodigious memory and attention to detail.
- The Amanyara has a fleet of very new Land Rover SUVs to drive their guests around… very comfortably.
- Our arrival at Amanyara was also perfect: the whole management staff introduced themselves to us, making us feel welcome, comfortable and looking forward to the rest of the stay. We were then whisked away to our beautiful pavilion, which Marco (the GM) had handpicked for us based on our stated preferences. He totally nailed it: our beautiful pavilion did in fact satisfy our priorities, and he gets lots of brownie points for that.
- The architecture of the pavilions and the whole resort (including the bar, the pool, the restaurants, etc.) is not only beautiful but also extremely practical. Photographs truly don’t do it justice.
- Photographs also don’t do justice to the sheer beauty of the views from the Ocean Pavilions, the swimming pool, bar, the beach clubs and of course the resort’s private beach.
- Speaking of which – the Amanyara’s location is unparalleled; as far as possible from Grace Bay (which, trust me, is a good thing), in a completely isolated area that has the best weather in the island, the best snorkeling, close to the best off-resort restaurant in the island (Da Conch Shack) and – did I mention the views?
- In spite of what other reviewers have said, *if you tell them what you like and ask for advice and adjustments* Amanyara has without a doubt the most consistently great food of any resort we’ve every stayed in, bar none (even other Amans) – across all restaurants, across breakfast, lunch, dinner, room service, etc. This is quite an achievement for a resort that has to cater to widely different tastes with limited resources – and in great part it is because they asked for our food tastes and the chef actually provided some excellent advice on what to pick -- and when ordering they give us a lot of freedom to make adjustments to our tastes.
- There is a wide selection of activities at the resort itself (in fact, as we’ve found, almost all that you really want to do can be done at the resort – including the best snorkeling in the island) plus they will be happy to drive you around the island if you, like us, want to get the real flavor (literally and figuratively) of Turks and Caicos.
- The New Year celebration was magnificent – the dinner was amazing, the entertainment top-notch (including Mary J Blige, which was a surprise kept to the last minute) and the fireworks spectacular.
- We got a superb couples’ massage at the Spa; Misha, the Spa Manager, is great, and she has an awesome staff. I honestly got one of the best massages of my life there. There are also daily complimentary Yoga workshops, plus several other activities, and a great fitness center.
- Finally: yes, it’s (in relative terms) expensive, but the Aman does pride itself in not nickel and diming you and in making the whole experience as smooth and relaxing as possible; after the first day pretty much everybody knows who you are, so you never need to give anybody your room number, or even sign receipts; when you’re done with your meal or drink you can literally just get up and go – and with lots of complimentary things to be quite honest my final bill has always been pleasantly short and simple.

In our last day it was truly difficult to leave, and it was the perfect Amanyara day – we woke up to a gorgeous view of the ocean, started the day with a delicious breakfast at the restaurant, took a walk on the beautiful private beach (turquoise waters, pristine white powdery sand), took pictures of all the cute wildlife that abounds on the grounds, then moved to the pool where we took a swim, and enjoyed the sunshine and the view. Later we had lunch (great as always) at the pool bar/restaurant – and then we went back to our pavilion, where we packed and waited for the scheduled luggage pickup and to be taken back to the main building where the whole management staff was again waiting to wave us goodbye, and Carlos to take us back to the airport – a drive that was as nice as the one that took us in, just a little sadder…

Good stuff!

With the executive summary out of the way, let’s cover some gotchas, tips and tricks:

First: the food selection on “private dining” (aka room service) is somewhat limited; they do deliver the food in record time (and come to pick up the dishes even faster), but after 2 or 3 days we had gone through the whole menu and ended up going to the restaurants for every meal; fortunately Marco did pick us a pavilion that was a 5 minute walk from said restaurants, so that was actually a great excuse for us to get some extra exercise, but if you end up with a pavilion bit further away you’ll be well advised to get one of the complimentary bikes (or rely on the golf carts, which, by the way, come really quickly).

Now, I did say earlier that it was not all perfect the whole time – not all 100% perfect, and that we wish we knew some things before we came in to indeed take it to that 100%. Allow me to elaborate:

#1: One of the problems of any resort that caters to demanding customers is always that occasionally some of those customers don't necessarily respect the other customers -- their comfort, their personal space or desire for peace and quiet. What can the resort do in these situations? Cater to the infringing customer or to the infringed upon, invariably upsetting one of them? Which one will be most upset? And when is the time to act?

In the past we rarely, if ever, really ran into these issues, but for some reason we had several episodes at Amanyara where other guests totally went over the line -- in some cases literally, in other cases figuratively. The cases actually escalated in seriousness over our stay, although each case was from a different guest -- possibly because the infringements were addressed, but on the other hand it's a bit scary that so many of the guests seemed to have little concern for their impact on others' vacation.

The other reason I mention this is because Amanyara does mean “Peaceful Place”, so our expectation was that it would live up to its name – which it did, 80% of the time, but not always.

First case was of a friend of a guest deciding to park his 300 ft. super-yacht, right in front of the resort, pretty close to shore, totally creating a huge eyesore ruining the view for everybody. I did include a picture of it with this review as a visual cue. The resort manager was clearly not happy about that, but there was little they could do -- fortunately after a couple of days they left, either because the seas got very restless for long enough to make staying uncomfortable for them, or because the pressure finally worked.

Second case was our neighbors deciding that it was OK for their kids to play in *our* pavilion's "backyard" (the area between our pavilions and the ocean). Yes, we had a better backyard than them, but it was a huge invasion of privacy especially since the pavilions are all glass on that side. Fortunately we were able to address this with them ourselves and it wasn't repeated.

Third case was several of the guest's (middle-school aged) kids totally taking over the resort's pool (even though they were staying in pavilions or villas that had their own pool) and behaving like nobody else was around -- for almost a whole day. Now, let me properly qualify their behavior: these were not your average raucous middle school kids; these kids were completely out of control, not only making it impossible for anybody else to get into the pool, but also having wildly inappropriate conversations at high volume -- inappropriate for adults, much less kids. Definitely not “Peaceful”. Fortunately most of the other, younger, kids were not American and not old enough to understand English; we endured it for a while, until we gave up and went back to our pavilion, where we stayed for the rest of the day.

But here's the kicker: the kid's parents were there, not only NOT asking them to stop, but in fact taking pictures of some of the stunts they were playing.

Fourth incident was that same day -- a pretty wild party at one of the villas very close to our ocean pavilion. Essentially we had extremely loud music keeping us up until 2am -- fortunately we're adults and on vacation, but I wonder how the other families around felt about it. Because we weren't warned I'm assuming it wasn't sanctioned, so I wonder why they didn't shut it down. If it was sanctioned, why not warn us? I'm honestly confused.

Fortunately that was it. Big lesson here: come back to the Amanyara outside holidays and school vacation time. That should avoid most, if not all of the above things.

#2: The concierge staff at Amanyara is not particularly consistent -- and by that I mean that although all of them are professional, friendly and polite, you will often get four different answers from four different people on the same question/issue, and because the staff is numerous and rotates a lot (all of them are constantly going out to help customers, so every time we were at the concierge desk a different person was helping us) it is up to the guest in many cases to do their own research and make sure to stick with one specific concierge they like (or, in our case, Jana, the customer relationship manager, who was the single one that was consistently awesome).

Part of it, I think, is also one of confusing giving customers freedom of choice with essentially not being helpful...

We did most of the time follow our own advice, but there was a particular situation where Jana wasn't around, things were handled by way too many different people, and we literally could not get anybody to truly help us properly -- and that was with our snorkeling to Grace Bay.

Now, this trip was suggested by a concierge to begin with, even before we got to the Amanyara, based on our love of snorkeling; it was also after we had done the superb snorkeling at the Amanyara itself.

This is the timeline of what was, essentially, the single instance the Amanyara failed us:

1. The day before the trip, we noticed that the seas were restless, so we approached the concierge desk and asked if it was a good idea to just cancel the snorkeling trip to Grace Bay because of bad visibility. The response (verbatim): "we will check the conditions tomorrow morning and if they are bad we will call you and let you know in the early morning".

2. During the morning of the day, we get no calls. We kinda assume it's still on, but the water seems still turbulent, so we go back to the desk, where a different person gives a completely different answer (which I also quote): "well, the conditions in Grace Bay may be completely different than here, so you should go and check them out for yourselves, and if they are bad, just come back...". That sounds odd, I think. Not Aman-like at all. Oh well, we’re on vacation, right? Sure, we'll go.

3. As we approach the Land Rover, we realize there is no snorkeling equipment. Apparently the concierge completely forgot about that, even though this trip had been scheduled for weeks, for the exact time we showed up at. So we have to wait a loooong time for him to go get the snorkeling equipment. When it finally comes, there's no bag to carry it with, nor there is one extremely important thing -- anti-fogging spray for the eye mask.

4. Oh well, once again -- we feel wild, so we just go for it anyway. Calvin, the driver (not Carlos -- I wish we had asked for Carlos) then explains to us that he's just going to drop us off at Grace Bay and leave us alone for the snorkeling, which is again slightly different from what we heard before. We continue to play along. He also says it's "the perfect place for snorkeling".

5. We get to Grace Bay, after an unusually uncomfortable trip (Calvin drives very fast and spent most of the trip on the phone arranging transportation for other guests). He later explained (not apologized) that he is the transportation manager and it's a busy day.

6. Once we get to Grace Bay -- it's not at all what we expected. It's crowded, crazy busy but we can't really tell where the snorkeling really is supposed to happen, much less if the conditions are good or not or if there are any sea creatures of note around. Our expectation is that somebody at Amanyara would know and since Calvin said it was "the perfect place for snorkeling" and "there is a lot of fish swimming around the coral" we just decide to go for it and stay -- and tell Calvin to come back 2 hours later.

7. We then realize that there's nowhere to leave our stuff on -- beach is so crowded that there are literally people standing around. Fortunately one of the beach attendants comes by and once we talk to him and tell him we're staying at the Amanyara, he is very helpful and provides us with chairs and a place to put our stuff on.

8. We then try out the snorkeling area. Long story short: it was terrible, almost no fish, coral was mostly dead, the current was too strong, it was a complete waste of time and I can't possibly understand why they sent us there.

9. The redeeming factor: there was a really nice restaurant there that Calvin did recommend, called Somewhere... So we just sat down there and enjoyed a really nice meal and some cocktails until Calvin came back and took us on a ultra-high speed back to the resort.

Lesson learned: either do a lot of the research yourself or pick one GOOD concierge and ask for him/her to help you. And Carlos to drive you.

Speaking on Carlos driving and doing your research and concierge failures -- one last story to underline that point:

We also did an Island Tour. The driver was very nice, friendly and polite but rather than actually knowing where to take us he basically made up the tour as we went along. Now, this was particularly problematic because he was from Haiti and I could barely understand his English accent. Had the itinerary been discussed and prepared beforehand with somebody I could understand a bit better, it would have been fine. Or I could have done my research and just handed him over a list of places to go. Fortunately, through my wife's decoding skills and some luck we ended up doing relatively well and getting a great lunch, some good shopping and some sightseeing out of it. But if I knew what I know now, I would have researched myself and written down my own itinerary beforehand, because we did miss out a couple of things. Or I should have asked for Carlos.

So, here’s my one bit of constructive criticism for the Amanyara in case they are reading this: there’s still some work to do training both the concierge staff and the drivers. You have great examples / best practices they can follow (Jana and Carlos, respectively), so just train them to do exactly what they would do…

Room Tip: You have to decide what's most important to you: your own pool or an ocean view. Then, just tell...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
13  Thank FSFan
Reviewed January 12, 2013

After arriving we went to our extravegent room we set off to the tennis court.we were shocked as the first person we saw was.......ROGER FEDERER.he stays there every year around april. Anyways the tennis teachers extremely nice and the waiters are attentive .the buggy drivers are quick.we highly recomend going deep sea fishing .we caught 7 giant fish!!!?????!!!!

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Daniel S
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Amanyara (an Amanresort) and Parrot Cay (a Como Shambala property) are the two genuinely luxurious properties in Turks and Caicos, and therefore the two that a discerning traveler must decide between.
Having stayed for over ten days at each resort on multiple occasions, I can say that, while both are outstanding properties, Amanyara is slightly superior. However, both have various benefits that may appeal to different people (Parrot Cay beats Amanyara when it comes to spa, and beach, for example). Below is a list of the pros and cons of the two resorts on a variety of topics.

ACCOMMODATION
Amanyara has the better rooms-- its pavilions and villas are simply stunning. Parrot Cay offers a wide selection of accommodation at various levels, with the cheapest being the rooms in the main building and the most expensive being beachside villas on par with Amanyara's.

FOOD & DINING
The food at the two resorts is comparable, with Amanyara's being extremely pricey (think $30 dollar salads) and perhaps slightly better.

SPA & WELLNESS
The wellness facility at Parrot Cay is out of this world, the best I have ever experienced. The breadth and caliber of the treatments offered are extraordinary, and the gym is excellent as well (working out next to actor Zach Effron is an added bonus!) Amanyara has an a less-developed but still outstanding spa.

SERVICE
Amanyara has the better service. While Parrot Cay's staff is friendly and enthusiastic, nothing can compare to the training that Aman Resorts (Amanyara parent company) gives their staff. From the constant stream of fruit drinks and wet scented towels to the warm smiles and hellos, Amanyara's service is unsurpassed.

BEACH
Parrot Cay easily has the superior beach. Amanyara's coastline is more dramatic, with white sand adjoining rocky bluffs, but the sandy beach next to Amanyara's main area is a far cry from the long white-sand beach on Parrot Cay's private island. However, Amanyara has an OUTSTANDING beach staff that greets you with iced towels when you emerge from the water, and is always ready to provide coconut water and drinks.

LOCATION
Both feel isolated and secluded, like contemporary tropical paradises. Parrot Cay is on a private island, and Amanyara, situated in a secluded national park, feels like it could be. Amanyara has excellent snorkeling right off the beach.

COMMON AREAS & ATMOSPHERE
Aesthetically, Amanyara has the better main area (a bar, pool, library, restaurant, and concierge situated around a stunning reflecting pool). It has a very "zen" atmosphere, while Parrot Cay feels more colonial.

Room Tip: We stayed in ocean villa -- pricey, but absolutely stunning.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
14  Thank BDWny
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Last year we went to Amansara in Cambodia. It was such a fantastic experience that we wanted to try an Aman nearer to home. 3 hours from NY you are in what I would call Asia in the Carib. Instead of flying 22 hours to Phuket or Bali you can experience the extraordinary service and incredibly elegant yet laid back and mellow world of Amanyara in the Turks and Caicos. No 'steel drums', no 'conch salad', no annoying music on the beach. We rented a glass enclosed villa with private pool. Absolutely fantastic. Everyone knew us and what we wanted before we had even asked. Staff outnumber guests by about 3:1 and it shows. It's not cheap but it's worth every dime. So good, we booked in for another visit in March. New Years was extraordinary - a great great party with a surprise performance by Mary J Blige. (And they only have 32 rooms).

Room Tip: Private villa with private pool - also come with butler and chef
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rosenblumtv
Also consider these accommodations in or near Providenciales
Gansevoort Turks + Caicos
COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos
Grace Bay Club
Grace Bay Club
#6 of 44 in Providenciales

Been to Amanyara? Share your experiences!