“Like a picture perfect postcard”
Review of Amanyara

Amanyara
Ranked #21 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Brooklyn, New York
“Like a picture perfect postcard”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

The Turks & Caicos Islands (TCI) are the most beautiful islands in the Carribean. You recognize this place is different immediately upon landing. As you exit the airport, no one is there to hassle you or sell you something or get up in your face. It's just as if you landed at any old airport on an island where people live. There's nothing worse than being accosted as soon as you arrive (Jamiaca is a classic example of this).

Aman goes the extra mile though anyway, no matter where you land. Our driver was immediately in the front of the door when I came out. The short drive to the resort was in an extremely nice Land Rover.

We stayed in villa 128 which had its own private beach grotto. The villas are all glass and have amazing views. The water color is stunning. The sunsets are amazing. The food was delicious and the staff was the perfect level of helpful when you need them, and giving you privacy when you needed that.

I guess it wouldn't be a review if I didn't have some suggestions for how it could have been better:

My wife was six months pregnant, and sometimes they took that into consideration, but sometimes not. We arrived to a bottle of champagne, which was a fantastic thought, but not particularly appealing to her. I didn't specifically tell the resort about this before arrival, although I did let the reservations people know. The canapes they served before dinner were sometimes made special for her (i.e. no raw fish), and sometimes not. Also, they have snorkel gear for you to borrow, but they can't really let you keep it all week -- which would have been nice for us at our villa's beach. These are such a minor complaints, I feel its ridiculous to even mention them, but even if you are looking for something to improve, it's hard to find.

Room Tip: Some of the ocean villas have their own private beaches (128 did).
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mhp11201

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I went to this hotel/restaurant with 10 friends, and have to say I'm not easily wowed, but this place was so beautiful, that all we could do was say - "God, look at that" - "look at this". The whole experience is something I'll never forget. We drove what seemed like hours along winding pot holed roads to get to a gatehouse and barrier at what we assumed was the right place - and asked (because there are no signs advertising it at all!!) is this Amanyara? - and fortunately the lady at the barrier confirmed indeed it was, checked our reservation, and then lifted the barrier. We were met at the car park and shepherded into the main area of the restaurant and bar. We had a drink at a table facing an infinity pool and the ocean - and just took in the surroundings. At every turn there was something that took the breath away. A maitre-d came over and chatted to us about the place and was very informative about the whole 'Aman' experience. We asked why there wasn't any signposts anywhere, and he simply replied - there is no need to advertise, "the people who need to know - know where we are"!! - We were told that no cameras were to be used whilst being here, as many guests didn't want their pictures ending up in magazines or papers! - obviously it's so secluded that many celebrities we were told visit the resort on a regular basis. There are individual villas with private pools, and a chef on hand if you need such a thing! There are 24 hotels/resorts around the world, and each tries to take in the natural beauty of the area. He told us that the Turks and Caicos was a particularly good example of this, and several features had been used to the optimum.
We then went to our table and had a wonderful meal - beautifully presented, and the taste was to die for. I had the Thai Green Curry with Jasmine rice, and can honestly say that it was the best I have ever eaten, and I've had hundreds! Yes it is pretty expensive, especially to stay there but with the atmosphere and service - which was attentive but not 'in your face' was impeccable. it's a whole dining experience that's certainly well worth treating yourself to - and we did pay more at other establishments on the Island, so although it is a 'high end' place, I really think you got value for money - and as for the whole Thai feel to the place it was just magical - a heavenly/surreal experience. The only gripe I would mention is that the bottled water which is offered at regular intervals is $8 a bottle, and they aren't big. Our bill was increased by $80 !! - other than that - enjoy this little bit of heaven and live like a celebrity - even if it is for only one night. A visit here is a must.

Room Tip: Chatting to a guest - I was told that the rooms were all beautifully equipped, and well worth the pr...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank petematthews
Lancaster, PA
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This is a restaurant only review---we had never been to northwest point & so decided to make the lllooonnnggg trip to see how the celebs lived. Wow do I now feel very sorry for them! To get isolation they have to pay outrageous prices for food & drinks and never get to enjoy the wondeful long walks on Grace Bay beach. Or stay at truly spectacular resorts like Seven Stars, Regent Palms etc. A lunch of salads & diet cokes was $114 and that was with many bones in my salmon. Sad. Glad I get to enjoy the real Provo.

Room Tip: Uhh...stay somewhere else.
6 Thank IrishFan-80
Bristol, Tennessee
Reviewed July 28, 2012

This hotel was a special treat given to me by my husband. It is absolutely beautiful in a setting that must resemble heaven. The food was delicious and the staff outstanding . My only question would be more information on water activities. Splurge and go there!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are located on a small lake, others on the ocean. I would recommend the ocean, ev...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Judylaus
Westchester
Reviewed July 24, 2012

This was an amazing place to stay on all counts - service, food, setting, accomodations. Knowing the reputation of the Aman hotels, I was expecting to be wowed, but my husband and I both felt that this property exceeded our expectations. Our needs were anticipated before we even had a chance to express them. We were there for four nights, and enjoyed every moment. The staff was friendly, eager to please, but also respectful of our privacy. There were a wide array of choices on the menu, and the food was fresh and delicious. The beach was pristine, the pools were inviting, and we loved the opportunity to use the luxurious movie theater when we needed to escape the sun for a bit. The tennis professional was terrific, and we thoroughly enjoyed our use of the spa, as well. Getting to Amanyara was very easy - a quick flight from NYC and then an extremely pleasant ride to the resort that set the tone for the rest of our stay.
While all the staff made us feel special, Emma, Giany and Rey impressed us with their warmth and can-do attitudes.

We've stayed in many beautiful resorts - Four Seasons Hawaii and St. Regis Bahia Beach to name two - and the Amanyara is at the top of our list.

4 Thank Tracy J
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Dont believe some of the reviews posted here especially from guests staying only for food, this place is spectacular.

The food is exceptional even at this level,they offered three types of Wagu beef and perhaps seven world class fish dishes, all of the food would be at or close to whats available in michelin starred restaurants.

The service is a good as anywhere in the US,Europe or Asia

The location and topography do mean its slightly isolated from the rest of islands, but thats also the attraction. We arranged a wonderful day trip that included canoeing in mangroves viewing small sharks,old indian caves with bats, eating at local restaurants and community cooperative shops and deserted beaches. Although not an adventure holiday complimentary snorkling and manta- boarding and nature walks etc are provided enough to keep cabin fever setting in for a week ( i think ten days would be a little much )

As for the price well considering the amount of staff quality of food and import costs associated with this level of isolation the costs are reasonable and comparative with other hotels at this level such as Six Senses hideaway resorts,some in the Maldives and South East Asia such as the Rayavedee which the Amanyara bests as a resort although theres more to do in some parts of the world.
If you can afford it you must.

Room Tip: Room with beach access ask if they can upgrade you
4 Thank goofydentist
Toronto
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I can't imagine anything better than this. Yes, its very expensive. But if you can afford it, it is worth every penny.

Check in was smoother and more enjoyable than I have ever experienced (and I stay at a lot of hotels). The rooms (villas) are gorgeous and pristine. The food is outstanding. The amenities and second to none. The pool is breathtaking and the beach is outstanding.

But best of all is the service. Flawless.

Postscript -- Amanyara vs Parrot Cay.

On my previous trip to Turks, we stayed at Parrot Cay. Also a top notch resort. Also highly rated. But if I had to choose, I would choose Amanyara. The service was equally good at both properties, as was the food. I just found the facilities at Amanyara to be better -- buildings were nicer, pool was more to my liking, a bit more of a modern zen feel as opposed to the more colonial feel of Parrot Cay. However, if you are having a hard time deciding, I can assure you that you will be extremely happy with either choice. They are both outstanding.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Stevieray99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Providenciales
Gansevoort Turks + Caicos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,691 reviews
The Regent Grand
The Regent Grand
#10 of 45 in Providenciales

Been to Amanyara? Share your experiences!