“The best vacation of a lifetime!”

Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa
Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“The best vacation of a lifetime!”
Reviewed August 4, 2010

We stayed at Beaches Turks & Caicos from June 29 - July 7, 2010 and finally had time to write a review about this fabulous place! We traveled with our 2 girls, ages 13 and 9 and we all had a wonderful time. It was the most relaxing vacation we have had and we have been to the Cayman Islands and Aruba and this is by far the most beautiful place. Everything from the arrival to the departure was perfect. We traveled from a Tuesday to a Wedesday so we didn't experience any problems at the airport like some other reviews mentioned. It is definitely better not to travel on a Saturday. We only had to wait a little while for the bus to take us to the hotel which is only a 10-15 minute ride and while we were waiting Beaches staff were passing out nice cold bottles of water. When we arrived at Beaches we were greeted with a rum punch and fruit punch for the girls along with a cool wash cloth to wipe our faces. It only took about 10 minutes to check in. We stayed in the Caribbean Village and for those of you who are planning to stay there, do not worry. I know some other reviews mentioned how this village is old and dirty and out dated, but we certainly did not find that to be the case. We were on the second floor right next to the Italian Village, French Village and Water Park. It was a great location. Our room was clean and did not smell. We did not see one bug the whole 8 days we were there. Our maid came to our room twice a day, once to clean and then again for turn down service. If we needed fresh towels all we had to do was call the front desk and they were there immediately. Yes the rooms were a bit small, but to be perfectly honest we were in them only to sleep and shower. In my opinion I cannot see spending a fortune on a room when you are in a place like this! Who wants to spend more time in their room than they have to. There is so much to do at this resort that I can't see spending the extra money, of course, that is just my opnion.

The pools were fantastic. We preferred the pool by the Arizona because it was right on the beach and right by the smoothie and kids station. Plus their swim up bar had little bubbles on your feet when you sat there and it felt really good. All of the pools were great though. The Italian pool did have the most kids in it, but they were never a problem. The Italian pool had these great little tables in the water and we never had a problem sitting at one, even at lunch time. The French pool was also really nice. We never had a problem getting fresh towels or chairs at any of the pools (I think they may have added additional towels and chairs). The only pool we never really went to was the Iquana Pool, but the kids had fun playing volleyball there one day.

As far as the beach went, it is absoulutely beautiful. It looked like a painted picture when we flew over it. The snorkeling was also very good. Just walk down the beach about 10 minutes and there is a great spot to snorkle. We saw some great fish, even some with teeth which my girls didn't really like. We did not do any of the snorkeling tours through Beaches so I can't really comment on that. We did do an excursion through Caicos Dream Tours which was absoulutely wonderful.

The food at the restaurants we went to (which were all but the French restaurant and the sushi bar - only becuase we don't like that kind of food) was really good. My favorite was Schooners and then Barefoot by the Sea because I really like seafood and they had the best. Sapadillos was also high on my list. It is an adult only restaurant and we went to it on our 20th anniversary (which we celebrated there). The food was really good - if you go, the conch appetizer was delicious. The kids stayed at the waterpark while we ate dinner and I felt perfectly safe leaving them there. We went on a Wednesday night and the waterpark celebrates summerfest that night so the park was open until 10 (it usually closes at 6). So if you want an adult only dinner and you have the kids with you, plan to eat dinner while the waterpark is open late. Kimonos was also very good, but I recommend that you make reservations as soon as you get to the resort. The food was very good, but it all depends on who you get as your chef as far as how enjoyable an experience you have. We had a rather boring chef but the table next to us had a very entertaining one. Giuseppe's was very good for breakfast. I'm not much for dinner buffets so we really didn't go to the places that had them. The kids really liked Bobby D's. After a while at the water park they would just go and get their own ice cream or cookies. They also loved trying all of the different smoothies and swimming up to the bars and asking for whatever they wanted. The pizza at Bella Napoli was really good, especially the chicken barbeque pizza. We had to get it a copule of times while we were there. Also, the beach party on Friday was pretty fun. You should try to do this, you get some good authentic Caribbean food, plus they have hamburgers and hot dogs for the kids.

The shopping was not the best, but they do have the local vendors set up their wares by the French Village (I think it is on Wendesdays), so we did get a few nice things. I really can't commnet on Camp Sesame as our girls were too old for it, but it seemed like the kids that were in it were have fun. We would see the sesame characters come through every once in a while, but it was not at all bothersome. The other thing that really surprised me was that we were there for the 4th of July and I really did not expect any kind of celebration since it is not their holiday. We woke up that day and a lot of the workers had on Uncle Sam hats and there was all kinds of activities that day for the 4th of July. They even had a great show and fireworks that night that centered on USA. It was a very pleasant surprise that they would celebrate our holiday.

All in all, this was defintely the most wonderful vacation we have had. We loved it so much that we booked for next year using their Come Back Again Soon promo. We are staying in the French Village this time only because we want something a little different. By the way, it really is not a big deal to walk around the resort. After 1 or 2 days, you get the feel of it and nothing is really too far. The only complaint that my husband had was their choice of beers. He really wanted Red Stripe and they did not carry it. Although we really looked forward to trying the drink specials that they had each day!

If you don't have a good time here then it is your own fault, certainly not the resort's. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful.

1 Thank laceygirl2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,840)
  • Indonesian first
Somerset, New Jersey
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Well, like everybody else, I have been reading all the reviews for months even though I have been to Turks & Caicos last October. Honestly, and I am very critical, this vacation was rated as one of my best. I go on vacation at least 3 to 4 times a year and have been to Paradise Island, Freeport, Harbor Island, Bahamas and St. Maarten (every year), Antigua, Aruba, San Juan, Jamaica, Punta Cana, St. Thomas, and at least 10 cruises.

Beach. If you are a beach person, search no more. This is the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. I can sit on this beach from 7AM to 9PM and not be bored. You can walk until your feet are tired. With all the people staying at Beaches, the beach was never crowded. It was wonderful. I will break this review in sections.

Accomodations: We stood in the Italian Village, DeVinci category, Capri building, ocean front location. Could not have asked for a more beautiful room. The separate kids suite is adorable. Our balcony was directly looking onto the ocean. If you book this category, make sure you are NOT put in the Almafi building. Even though it is oceanfront, trees block view. Also, you need to be on the third floor or better for a view. In all honesty, since this is a family vacation, this category is not necessary unless you have the extra $1,000 to spend. Booking the lowest category in the Italian Village is sufficient. An oceanfront room was not necessary for this type of trip. This resort is like no family resort I experienced. You pay for what you get. I live and drive top shelf and vacation the same way. Out of curiosity I looked at the lowest category to see if I would be able to try to skip next time. I know I could never stay in that type of accomodation. It is a basic hotel room with basic bathroom. If you are used to marble, king size beds, flat screen tvs, you must book Italian Village. If you are happy with a comfort inn type of accomodation, go for the most economical room. So again, remember, you pay for what you get in accomodations.

Pools: All the pools are beautiful. What is so nice the pools are only 3-1/2 feet deep. Very safe for kids. Naturally, the pools are crowded and it is hard to get a cabana unless you are in the butler category (which I really don't think you need for a family vacation such as this). The waterpark is so much fun.

Food: I don't know where the complaints were in this category but everywhere we ate the food was very good. Remember, you are on vacation--not at a 6 star restaurant. The staff is very friendly and accomodating. I felt the service was very fast. Johnny Dees diner is so delicious. It is the same as Johnny Rockets in the states. The breakfast at Barefoot was always very good. The breakfast buffet in Reflections was tasty also. Pizza was good also. Schooners and Barefoot for seaford was good. The best food was at the Friday night barbeque. Beaches really puts on the ritz for this. It is the highlight of the vacation. Don't miss it.

Kids Camp. We brought our 6 and 4 year old grandchildren. Well, camp opened at 9 AM to 4:30 PM and opened again from 6 to 10. You could leave them there as little or as much as you wanted. The kids actually enjoyed it. It really is great for 3 year olds in the Seasame Camp. It is very safe. My granddaughter is about to be 5 and I think she just was a little to old for it but she loved it. The only problem with the camp there is not a lot of swim time. If your kids want to swim all day, then you probably will have to keep them with you for some of the day. But it is a great option if you need a break.

Airport transfers were excellent. You were at the resort is 10 minutes and in your room within another 15 minutes. Great check in and out service. Staff is very nice and helpful. Airport was very easy to come into but very crowded to leave. We came down on a Sturday and left the following Sunday. Perhaps it is better to leave during the week.

Drinks. Drinks are nothing more than okay. So if you like them strong, you better ask. Otherwise, you will be drinking all day (LOL).

Entertainment. Since I was geared more to a daytime family vacation, I did not really check out the nightly entertainment since we didn't have a babysitter. But from looking at the activity sheet, there was not much going on at all. It seemed more like it was a great hang out for teens and young adults. But I can be wrong in this category.

Shopping. If you have been to Turks & Caicos before, you know there really is no shopping worthwhile to mention. The stores in the resort I feel are really overpriced. If they would lower their prices, they would definitely sell much more. They have cute items but are overpriced. And I am not cheap. I love to shop but I won't throw my money away like that.

Casinos. Since I am from New Jersey, I am used to Atlantic City and Las Vegas casinos. Well, believe me, this is an island where you can leave your gambling urge at home. There is one casino that offers a free shuttle. It is the most dullest casino in the world but I knew that from my last trip so I was prepared. All they have are 5 blackjack tables, 2 roulette tables and 3 caribbean stud tables. I can imagine what a waste the slot machines are. There are no 3 card poker tables. So save your money and go to the Atlantis in Paradise Island, Las Vegas or Atlantic City if you want to gamble. If there were 20 people in the casino, there were a lot.

Tours. Did not do any excursions because I felt they were really overpriced and I basically have done so many excursions on my other previous vacations. Banana boat per person is $30. If they would charge $10 a person, there would be a line. A family of 6 would be $180 for 5 minutes (LOL).

Beaches All-Inclusive Experience. Overall, it was great but, as we all know, this is not a cheap vacation, so it should be worth every penny you spend. I actually liked Beaches better than I liked Sandals Couples Resorts in Antigua and Sandals Royal Caribbean (Jamaica). Even though it was a lot of kids, kids seemed very well behaved. I definitely would come again with kids. If you don't have kids, actually there are so many beautiful resorts on the island to look into. My next trip is Sandals Emerald Bay.

1 Thank asummers2355
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed August 3, 2010

OMG...we had so much fun..water is beautiful and so much to do for the kids .The kids had fun the whole stay we went with 19 family and friends. We had grandma with us and the first day we met a worker by the name **Peta-gay spencer ***
She was amazing. She helped us the whole stay .She also made sure our 89 year old grandma was ok threw our intire stay she brought us water drinks towels and even set us up for lunch it was our grandmas birthday and petagay got ballons and cake and sang happy birthday. SHE IS SOMEONE YOU NEED TO MEET IF YOU ARE STAYING AT BEACHES .She made our vacation a great stay and no worrys.Like us you will want to pack her up and bring her back home with you ...THANK YOU PETA-GAY :)

Rothesay, Canada
Reviewed August 3, 2010

We stayed at this wonderful resort from July17-24/2010.Myself, husband ,22yrold and 17yr old. We stayed in a french village walkout with 2 queen beds. the beds were very comfortable( extra blankets and pillows)lovley lg flat screen tv plenty of drawer space and closet space.they gave you toiletries from thier spa,bathroom a little outdated but sufficent. nice little patio with 2 chairs sm table and clothes rack to hang bathing suits on to dry
The service was great where ever we went, from Celina at Bobby D's to Emiliano at Mario's italiano restuarant he was absolutley great ,we went there 4 times during our stay.The food was very goodeverywhere , we ate at Arizona,s Kimmonos Le Petite Chateau, Reflections buffet, Mario,s Bobby D,s.
The pools were lovley with the swim up bars,the beach was gorgeous with all kinds of water sports that were include.The grounds were kept immaculate, they were always mowing or trimming the bushes.the resort photographer were great especially Patrick, book a sitting with one of them ,they are the nicest pictures we have had done in a very lond time! The great thing about the pictures you buy are burned on a cd for you to print what ever size you want! They give you a copyright letter so you can print them when you get home.
As you can see by my review this was probably one of the nicest vacations we have taken. Ihope to go back one day!!

1 Thank tripgirl64
Madison, New Jersey
Reviewed August 2, 2010

We just returned from 7 day visit ending 7-31. Went with 12 family members ranging in age from 8 to 72 years of age. Without question, every member of the family would go back tomorrow. We had simple accomodations in the Caribbean Village. The rooms were clean and serviced daily. There were some minor issues involving a leaking AC vent which was fixed immediately while we were out swimming. The only time we really spent in the rooms were to change clothes, shower and sleep. To us this place is not about fancy rooms. We expect cleanliness and courtesy which we were provided over and above. The staff here clearly goes out of their way to say hello and to make the journey an escape. Despite being 95% booked, at no time was that our perception. The property is spread out perfectly to avoid lines. At no time did we require reservations except for the Japanese restaurant. I would suggest making a reservation immediately upon arrival if your family enjoys this type of eating. Let me say it is a fun and enjoyable way to spend dinner, even if you have been to previous hibachi style Japanese restaurants. We had no problem walking to the beach each day securing chairs at any time. Towels as well as cold drinks were always available. Many people comment on the diving, which is terrific. If you plan on diving, best to visit the dive shop immediately. Certified divers may have to attend a pre-dive meeting to assess skills. Completely logical and not a major issue. Also note that snorkel trips are scheduled a day in advance and fill up quick. 8:15 am is the suggested time to sign up, but I would recommend going between 7:45 and 8am if you want to insure a spot. On Thursdays and Fridays, they usually add an extra snorkel trip. Since we did not have any butler service, one of us actually had to stand in line for a few minutes. It was no big deal and allowed for an early morning swim in the ocean. Its all a matter of perspective. The food was much better than our first trip. Breakfast at Mario's a little slow for breakfast, but that was really a minor issue with several other choices available. Clearly an effort has been made to upgrade the perception and quality of the food service. Rest assured this is not a Disney fast food experience. Its not five star, but it is more than satisfactory. Each restaurant has its specialties, so the advice would be to give each one a try. The all inclusive package includes alcohol which is top shelf and readily available. We enjoyed several sing alongs at the Irish pub with a new friends and around the pool side bars. Waiters and waitresses participated and were even encouraged to get involved. It was a blast. Every bar tender was engaging and played to the wants of the crowd.Ample opportunity exists for a quiet romantic drink as well. In being honest, the only issue that required some getting used to were the mosquitos and small gnats in the evening. While not unbearable, they certainly were a nuisance on some evenings at outside dinner venues. Might want to consider a small container of bug repellent for extended evening activities or dining at the indoor restaurants. Keep in mind that some water activities such as para sailing and banana boat rides while fun, cost extra and are not provided by the Beaches resort. Individuals walk the beach inquiring about your interest. They are friendly, but remember they are true salesman. We arranged trips for both para sailing and banana boat rides that went just fine. Although they pick you up right at the beach, both times the vendor was late and misinformed clients about trip duration. Plan on at least two hours for para-sailing if the boat is filled with clients. Also don't be afraid to ask for a few dollars off the price. They will not go too far but we got them down $5.00 dollars/person. We viewed this as a small inconvenience as part of the overall adventure and had a great time doing both activities. After asking once the salespeople left us alone and actually became friends for the week.The cost for the banana boat was $75.00 and the para sailing $125.00 for planning purposes.

Overall, this place is heaven if you can get by some very small inconsistencies. Some of the butler related issues, I can not comment on.

This is a wonderful place to be whether you are child or just like to act like one.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank tangman1964
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed August 1, 2010

We spent some of the best times of our lives at this resort. This was the best vacation that we have ever been on. I cannot say enough about the staff. They were all so amazing and made every person feel like they were the best ever all the time.
We came here on a trip for our daughter with Make a Wish Foundation. They took such good care of us. Rommel made sure that every day was incredible for us. Tanny the photographer was amazing, and my 3 year old loved the guy that ran the surfing spot at the pool named Donahue. If you go make sure you find these people. They truly made a difference in our stay.
This resort had everything!!!!! Amazing food, tonnes of restaurants, great pools, waterslides and a pirate island for the kids. Nightly entertainment for everyone. It was very clean. They had a free sesame camp/daycare for kids of all ages. Free access to sailing, and paddle boats. it was the best. They seriously had fun for every age. We were sad that it had to end. We are going to be going back for sure and would recommend it to anyone. Especially those with kids. It is the best place to go if you have children any age.
If you want somewhere to go where everyone can relax, play, eat, be entertained, and have lots of fun go here for sure.

1 Thank SRPeterson
Ohio
Reviewed July 31, 2010

Just returned from a week at Beaches (Jul 21-28). This was our third year in a row, and after reading Metsfan's review, I felt compelled to add some of my comments. Overall, the resort is still a great place for families, (Our kids are 20, 17, 14) but the level of service and amenities has seemed to deteriorate over the last three years - even my kids commented with similar thoughts. We have had the butler service all three years - the first year we had Jeffery - he was awesome - still remembers us! He seemed to anticipate needs and was always there with a suggestion for a meal or an activity. This year, the service was somewhat inconsistent - although it did improve as the week went on.

Some differences - previously, the butlers were always prompt and made sure they walked you to meals. This year - not always on time and often times would just meet you at the restaurant - not that big of deal - but hinted of a less than an "anything it takes" type attitude. Similar to Metsfan's experience - one day, we had no chairs at the beach or the pool - apparently someone moved all of the stuff the butler had placed. Reading reviews over the years, there seems to be some resentment towards the people with butler service - one of our butlers commented about people complaining. For instance the first year, we were always set up with chairs at both the beach and the pool - they won't do that anymore - again, I understand why, but it another example of changes we have experienced.

Other Differences:
The first year, our bar was completely stocked with several bottles of liquor - I had filled out the butler request form with our preferences. This year - there was just the standard selection (Scotch, Gin, Rum, Wine ) no vodka - which is the only thing I preferenced.

No snacks in the room - the first two years the room was always stocked with chips and pretzels. Now, they don't provide - the butler couldn't explain why, but implied it was a cost saving move.

Snorkeling sign up - first time we've ever been shut out - tried three times! Previously, the butlers were always able to figure out a way to get us on the boat. This year - "sorry, no room".

Room Not Ready - it took a long time for us to get checked in, and I felt I had to get pretty pushy for the butler to get us in our room as soon as possible.

Check Out - Last year, they allowed a delayed check out - (one hour) if we agreed to vacate the Living Room area of the two bedroom suite which we were happy to do. This year, I requested late check out the first day, and asked 3 successive times - offering the same arrangement as last year. Our last night, I was informed of the time the taxi was arriving - no discussion about late check out. I tried to press the issue a bit, but didn't get anywhere - was at the airport much earlier than really needed to be.

Service Comments in General:
I've read a lot of people's comments about how great the bartenders are - for some reason, I haven't experienced this. They seem to be overworked, and it seems to come through towards the end of a long afternoon at the Italian Village.

We had two bad service experiences with dinner - even the butler was embarrassed and worked to rectify the situation. Petite Chateau - 8:00 reservation and seated promptly. at 9:20, the butler returned to pick us up - we had not even been served our appetizers/salad yet. Apparently there was a big group that "slammed" the kitchen - it happens! Two nights later, at Marios - the same thing. Took over an hour from the time we ordered to receive our entrees. At Sopadillas and Arizonas, we had superior service and great food!! I realized if we went out 7 nights in a row to restaurants in any city, we are bound to have sub-par service one of the nights!

Summary/Suggestions: - Our butlers over the three years have been - Jeffery, Hilario, Dane, Randy, and Tony. I would rate Jeffery and Hilaro as the best.
Mario's for breakfast is a good spot - good buffet with wide variety - you can eat quickly and be on with your day.
Room Service - if you have butler service - have them provide dinner one night on your deck/patio. You order form Sopadilla's or Petie Chateau and the butler sets up a very special environment for you. We do this our last night every year, and it's everyone's favorite meal (Jeffery suggested we do this our first year rather than pay the huge price to eat on the beach). This year, Randy put votive candles all around our deck and even dialed up some Jazz on my Ipod to be playing on the deck when we arrived from our photo shoot - great touch!!

We will still consider going again, and I would always want to get the butler service. I guess I will dial back my expectations - Jeffery really spoiled us that first year!!

4 Thank MstrBankr