“Perfect Vacation for Families with small children”

Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa
Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Chicago, Illinois
“Perfect Vacation for Families with small children”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2006

We traveled to Beaches Turks and Caicos from May 10-16 with our 3 children, ages 2, 4 and 6. We had a great time, and our kids loved it too. Here is what I would recommend if you are planning a vacation here:

1) We stayed in the Honeymoon 1Bdr Suite. It was perfect for us and our children. Every night they bathed in the big hot tub with jets. We were able to put them to bed in the "bedroom" and still hang out in the living area, then we transferred them to the pull out couch when we were ready to go to bed. This room also had a fully stocked fridge and bar with everything from juices to sodas to bottled water to beer to liquor. They restocked it at least 4 times during our stay, and it was wonderful to be able to give our children drinks or snacks without leaving the room to go and get something. This room was also close to the beach, and centrally located to all pools. You couldn't hear the loud entertainment from the French Village which was nice when trying to sleep. If you can, book this room!!

2) We used the nanny service twice and the kids loved her (Thanks Doreen!) We were able to request her for the second time and that way the kids got to know just one person. She fed the kids dinner, took them to play at the playground and took them to the Sesame Street Shows. They fondly called her "SuperNanny" :o)

3) The kids clubs were OK. My oldest seemed to enjoy his time with the 6-8 year olds at Pirate's Island. He was well taken care of and made some new friends. We never left any of our children in the camps longer than an hour at a time. This was a family vacation, so we preferred to stay that way. The Cuda Club was more like a daycare. I did leave the 2 and 4 yr olds there, but only when necessary and never for very long. They LOVED the Sesame Characters, so I tried to coincide the drop-offs with the characters to make leaving them a little easier.

4) The Sesame Characters are around, you just have to know where and when to find them. We didn't do the breakfast with the characters, but my children still saw plenty of them.

5) Chair wars were non-existent. I was prepared to go save chairs and I never had to. I think May is a nicer time to go to the resort, maybe not as busy.

6) Food was OK to Exceptional depending on where you went. We LOVED Sapodillas, we had the best portabella mushroom we've ever had there. We also loved Schooners crab legs for dinner and their nice "sit down-non buffet" breakfast. They even cut our children's food for them once!! The best buffet was Reflections, but we found ourselves eating lunch at Arizona’s every day as it was close to our favorite pool and the beach. Also, my 4 and 6 yr. old figured out how to get their own lunches at the grill there. What could be better than that?? Kimonos was great fun, and extremely entertaining for our children.

7) We had a couple "Housekeeping" problems where they didn't get to our room to clean until it was naptime for our 2 younger children. They said they'd return at 4pm, and then didn't. Still by 6:30pm, our room wasn't cleaned. By the time we got back to our room for the night, it had been done, but that was after complaints to concierge. I would recommend, if you have the concierge service, to set up the housekeeping times with them to ensure they don't try to clean your room at an inopportune time in your family's schedule.

8)If you like your flavored coffee first thing in the morning, like we do, then go to Cafe de paris for a nice Mocha latte. One of us made the trek every day at 7:30 to get our delicious caffeine kick.

Seriously, I've looked into other all inclusives for families, and Beaches is the only resort I've found that has kid's programs for children under the age of 4. If we hadn't come here, we wouldn't have been able to take our 6 year old snorkeling, or spend an hour by the pool alone.

All in all, it really was a fabulous vacation. We relaxed, we ate well, we swam a lot, we spent quality time together, and got really tan. What could be better?? The beach is the cleanest beach I've ever seen, and the ocean is incredible. Crystal Clear and Warm! If you have small children, you will love it here, and so will they!

28 Thank Sarah N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,804)
  • Indonesian first
holbrook , ny
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2006

I was a little disapointed with beaches turks and caicos
Our trip was from may 7 -may 13
I was traveling with my wife and 16 month old daughter
We flew down on american airlines. The plane had approx 30 kids under 5 on it.
This is a resort geared toward kids. We were very excited to get there. upon arrival into turks and caicos you have to go thru customs, this took about 45 mins. Taxi ride to beaches was air conditioned, not bad at all. once we were at the resort we were greeted with cold towels and punch. We then checked into our room (honeymoon suite) 3rd floor in the main building. I was expecting the room to be a little nicer. We had the staff bring us up a crib for my daughter (crib was clean ) . Bathroom was disgusting , NEEDS UPDATING, the room itself wasnt that bad, but the bathroom was just nasty. we had ants in the bathroom , and on the balcony. no mold, no funny smells etc. Sesame street activities are there, and there are alot of them you just have to get a schedule. Character breakfast was great, sesame street shows and parade were excellent, other shows were okay. Pools and beach are very nice. Did not have to play the chair game. Idont think the resort was full this week . Food is okay , a bit dissapointed. actually my daughter got sick one night, and i got sick the following night. Nausea etc... Didnt think much of it until coming home we met a couple who had to shorten their trip because their kids were sick. Food at bobby dees (bad), Arizonas (good) schooners (okay) reflections (okay) breakfast at reflections was very good. Staff was friendly . Rooms could have been cleaned a little better, Would i go back Probably my daughter really enjoyed sesame street activites and i do enjoy a carribean vacation , but like i said earlier i was a little dissapointed. this is a very expensive resort . expected a little more

11 Thank michael c
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2006

We returned from Beaches two weeks ago. As everyone says here, DON'T go if you don't have kids!! Our last visit to the resort was 6 years ago and it was probably the best vacation of our lives. At that time, there were hardly any families, no sesame street program, just serious divers and couples, mostly.
We did 2 dives every day (6 years ago) and were blown away by the gorgeous beaches and great dive program. we vowed to one day return.
Now we have a 2 year-old and decided to go back to take advantage of the kids program. The resort is very very expensive, costing us $1000 a day, although I did book a nice Presidential suite with a large balcony (near the Arizona waterfall pool). There are rooms for a lot less, though, about $400 a night for the regular main building. Of course, that includes all food and drinks but I ended up paying extra for wine every night out at dinner because we are wine drinkers and didn't like what they had that was included in the prices. Speaking of drinks, you CAN get premium vodka like grey goose at the bar in the main building. you have to ask for it by name. The concierge service that came with the suites wasn't that great. we asked for grey goose for the room and he said they don't have it when later we found out they did. I ended up paying $65 to get the concierge to go get it for us. The "stocked wet bar" in the room has weird unknown labels like vodka from the Bahamas??? We wouldn't have touched that to disinfect something!!
The food is OK-not fabulous but not terrible. The French restaurant Le Petit Chateau was our favorite and the service was great, very friendly. We liked the afternoon buffet at Arizonas, the open air grill had ribs, burgers, etc.
The kids program seemed pretty good, lots of fun activities, but towards the end of the week, my daughter didn't want to go back in, not sure if something happened there, there is no way to know but the childcare women did seem pretty competent and they seemed to like kids. We used the nanny service every night for 2 hours and it was well worth the $12 an hour for a night of peaceful dining. We got very spoiled. Audrey was our favorite, they take the kids to the parade, to eat, etc., they don't just stay in your room (unless you want that) she even gave the baby a nice bubble bath in our room! Our kid loved posing with the sesame street characters.
One great attraction that costs extra is the iguana island trip, it is not to be missed! The half day includes snorkeling off an island and the iguana reserve is amazing, they iguanas will come up and take pieces of apple right out of your hand! We were only able to go because of the child care program since 2 is really too young to enjoy these types of outings.
The property is beautiful, the beaches as gorgeous as ever, I just think they charge too much for what you get. For what we paid for a week we could have stayed in the Florida Keys for 2 months in an oceanfront condo!! Of course, it is supposedly "all-inclusive" but if you are choosy about wine, you will end up buying your own. My bill when I checked out was ANOTHER $1000, of course I dd splurge on nannies, wine, got a lot of beaches stuff from the gift store, photos, etc.
Bottom line: it's a beautiful place to go if you have money to burn. Don't go if you are pinching pennies or on a budget. Even the Four Seasons chain (5 star) is less expensive!!

20 Thank Amy P
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2006

We were a little apprehensive about going to Beaches on vacation after reading some of the negative reviews. After we arrived I still wonder if the people who are complaining were staying at the same place we were. Here are all the pros and cons (mostly pros)

Arrival at the airport - It took us over an hour to get through customs and it was very warm (ths is no fault of the resort). Be prepared to wait in a long line.

Ride to the resort - We were placed in an AIR-CONDITIONED van with two other families for our short trip to the resort.

Arrival at the resort - We were greeted by FRIENDLY staff who provided us with a cold towel and rum punch. It was about 4 pm when we arrived at the resort so we were immediately taken to our room and our luggage was brought to us. (It's listed that check in time is 4pm, so why you would book a flight that allows you to arrive at the resort hours ahead of check in just so you could complain about the fact that your room wasn't ready is beyond me)

Our room - We stayed in the French Village and asked for a room with two beds. Our room had one king size bed and a pull out sofa. The pull out sofa was not very comfortable to sleep on, but this wasn't a huge issue. There were two adults and a child, so we all just slept in the king sized bed. Our room was very CLEAN. It did smell a bit musty, but then again, where did you go on vacation? All we had to do is open up the sliding glass door and the smell went away quickly. We had fresh towels daily. A beetle decided to visit our room and we escorted him outside where he belonged. The room was not bug infested and moldy like some of the other reviews stated. Our safe wasn't working, but all it took was a call to guest services and someone came right away and fixed it. Again we stayed in the French Village which has nightly entertainment. If you don't want to be bothered in the evening until about 10:00 with any noise then don't stay in the French Village. It wasn't a problem for us, we didn't go to bed until 10:00 anyway.

The towel game - The first morning out we saw a bunch of towels reserving chairs and no bodies. After the first day, this really didn't seem to be an issue. I think people realized they wouldn't have any problem getting a chair. There were ones available under the umbrellas as well. We always found plenty of towels available for use. And if you plan ahead (get towels today to use tomorrow), you really won't have any problems.

Sunscreen - Take plenty of sunscreen with you. You are going to a different climate....plan ahead. We went through two bottles of 50spf for our 9 year old and were there for a week. It's not cheap in the gift shop.

Pools - The pools were very clean. We didn't swim in all of them, we spent most of the time on the beach. I can swim in a pool at home.

Kids programs - We didn't use the services but witnessed alot of what went on because we spent time each day on the porch of the Xbox room while our son played inside. From what we saw, the staff did a great job planning activities for the kids. We wanted ours with us since it was a family vacation.

Staff - I can't say enough good things about the staff. They were all wonderful, very accommodating and went out of the way to help you. I didn't find ANYONE rude who worked there like some of the other reviews stated. The only rude people I encountered there were the people who were on vacation there. One man asked a staff member for something and the staff member directed him to where he could find it. His comment was...."No, I don't think you understand....I paid the resort, they pay you and I want you to go get it". Another man all but threw a fit becasue at one of the swim up bars he wanted two beers, two bottles of water...and something else and wated a container to carry it back to the room in. Tthe bars don't have water, you have to get them at the desk. He proceeded to make a spectacle of himself and then said just forget it and walked away. I'm convinced these are the type of people who write the negative reviews. They would never be happy anywhere under any circumstances. I was raised to say please and thank you and appreciate what people do for you.......not feel like you're entitled. Arnold at Arizona's is wonderful! He took care of all our needs when we dined there. Seriena was our wedding coordinator. We got married while we were there, and again, everyone was wonderful to us and very accommodating.

Food - The food really was very good. But then again, I'm not used to eating a gourmet meal three times a day. We wend to Reflections for breakfast every day. They had a wide variety of food and it was all at the appropriate temperatures. The hot stuff was hot and the cold stuff was cold. Other reviews I've read said the food was cold. We never experienced that. We didn't eat lunch anywhere, just a cone of ice cream or a cookie because we were still full from breakfast so I can't comment on the lunch menues. We ate dinner at Arizona's, Reflections, Guiseppes, Schooners and Kimono's (btw, we had no problem getting a reservation). All of the meals were very good. If you don't like buffet's then don't go to them and then complain about it. We did not eat at the adult only restaurants....again we were on a family vacation.

The return trip - If you are scheduled for an afternoon flight, you will probably run into lines at the airport. It took us about two hours to get our bags checked and get through customs. (Not a fault of the resort)

Nights - the nights are a little cool, you might to take some long pants and a jacket.

The only trip we took away from the resort was to Iguana island. We saw plenty of iguanas there...but then again you have to look to see them, they blend in with the environment. We also went snorkeling and had a fantastic time. They also took us to an island to look for sand dollars. We didn't find any, but I didn't let it ruin our trip....again, this is no fault of the resort.

This trip was worth every penny we spent and we will definately go back!

35 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2006

We stayed at Beaches Negril last year and enjoyed staying at Turks more this year with very young children 3 1/2 and 1 1/2. To begin with, the transportation is 10 minutes versus 90 minutes. Customs and Immigration are a mess in both locations. Govt officials very, very cranky and kids were in meltdown. Plus NO stroller- as immigration must be cleared (on both islands) before you can collect your bags and stroller. So, you're holding tired squirmy toddlers while you wait in a hot line with carry-ons for an hour or two. We got in very, very late, so we only waited about 30 minutes. Taxi ride was hot, but it was only 10 minutes. Not a big deal.

The room was clean. I have two boys, so we ended up at just about every public bathroom there- near restaurants, pools, etc. Every one of them was clean. One near the French Village had about 5-10 ants, but I never saw any trash or dirty conditions. Pools looked moderate to good for cleanliness. Restaurants very clean. Any time the toddler spilled juice, french fries, chips- the janitor was there to mop up- which was kind of annoying if they did it while you were eating, but they were friendly about it.

The food. Just ok. I am not a food snob. I can barely cook. But, there was a dessert buffet at every lunch and dinner and I would make a small sample tray and there was not one single good dessert. Buffets had limited options. Adult restaurant Sapodillas had a few good options. Other adult restaurant Le Petit Chateau was pretty good. Arizona's had good quesadilla appetizer at dinner, but their food at lunch was overcooked, dry and bland. The Diner had mostly kid food under a heat lamp. French fries were rejected by my french fry addict sons- they were stale and cold. Most days at lunch I had a pre-made turkey and cheese on white bread with a mayo packet. There just weren't a lot of options.

Service- We had a one bed suite. Concierge service was very good. They forgot a milk delivery (they'll stock your fridge with quarts of parmalot milk if you ask) and they were incredibly apologetic. Turned out it was even my fault- I had kept the do not disturb sign on. They made all reservations for restaurants for us. Overall, the service in restaurants was good. There was a lunchtime server at Bobby Dees, a young woman from the Phillipines who was extremely polite and almost over the top helpful. An excellent waiter at Le Petit Chateau, friendly concierge staff and many others.

Location- we were in the main section near Arizona's and the Cascade waterfall pool. Great location. A minute to the beach. Plenty of chairs over there. If you are facing the beach and walk to your left, you would find dozens/ maybe hundreds of available chairs, many with shade from trees and some with umbrellas. We never had any problem getting chairs or towels at any of the pools at any time of the day. We often got towels at the pool at 2:30/3pm. I don't think they heat the pools, so the pools were best in the afternoon. I HATE cold water- heat my pool to 84, but I was fine in the French Village pool and FV kiddie pool- great for toddlers. Boys were fine too. The weather seemed cooler than Jamaica. Usually 79 degrees F. in first week of May, so you might feel cooler in the pool.

Kids club- I wasn't amazed by this club. The person at the front desk was very crabby and you had to know to ask the right questions regarding registration. Bring your kids birth certificates or passports on the first day, diapers and wipes if they use them, swimsuits and swim diapers separate too. I brought labeled backpacks as things can get mixed up in the shared cubbies. The kids didn't seem too engaged. My boys didn't want to go more than a couple times. I had assumed the older one would want to go 9-12 every day like he had in Negril. But, I was wrong. A really "peppy" coordinator could turn around the environment. Looked relatively safe, but not exciting. We kept the kids with us most of the time, but we hired a nanny from the center for 2 hours every evening so we could go to dinner on our own. Babysitter handled feeding the kids and either taking them for a walk or watching a movie. Worked out great. Time for a pre-dinner drink, dinner and then coffee and pastries at the French Cafe or a walk on the beach prior to returning to the room.

Length of stay- we stayed 7 nights with two small kids. It was too long for them. They wanted to go home. Not enough different activities to keep their interest. If we did it again, we'd shoot for maybe 4 nights.

The hardest part is the travel. Coming back through the T&C airport and then connecting in Miami is a mess. The lines are endless at T&C and they have to individually hand inspect your luggage in front of you. Very slow and they end up upsetting your packing job a little as they rifle through your dirty clothes. Miami is a mess too, with long lines, getting your luggage, re-checking it after customs, then racing to your terminal where you must go through very long security lines yet again with kids. I think we waited in lines (T&C airport, T&C Immigration, Miaimi Passport Control, Miami Baggage Carousel, Miami Customs, Miami re-checking of baggage, Miami security xray lines, etc) for cumulatively 2-3 hours. Fly direct if you can!

Overall- grounds, buildings, ocean, beach, pools attractive, relaxing, well kept. Babysitter seemed good. Food mediocre/ ok. Definitely not good, but not terrible. Think cafeteria. Service- not the Ritz- but better than your average hotel.

22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Newjersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2006

My wife and our 2 daughters(2 and 4) spent 6 nights from 4/30-5/06. It is Not a 5-star resort, but deserves a 4-star rating.
Service: Superb; I've been to numerous four to five star all-inclusives, but, this is by far the best. About half of staffs are Philipinos. They speak good English and are extremely friendly . Don't even compare them to staff at Dom. Rep.

Grounds: Very well-kept! Gorgeous!

Pools: Average. Pirates Island pool is not really what you see in the brochure. Dissappointed. They have 2 slides and are geared towards kids 6 and over. The staff won't let me ride the slide with my 4 year old. Bad management(most children in this resort is between 1-5).
Beach: Fantastic, but very very narrow.
Room: Average in every category. Don't book suites or villas. It's just more money.
2-3star accomodation.
Food: Good, but the management has to do a better job in knowing who their core customers are. 2 French restaurants are adults only. Again, most people come with kids here. Doesn't make sense right?
By the way, making a reservation is very easy.
THERE ARE PLENTY OF CHAIRS POOLSIDE OR BEACH. BELIEVE ME. WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT THIS? EVERYDAY, WE WERE AT THE POOL AROUND 10 AM. AT LEAST 60% OF CHAIRS ARE EMPTY AND THE RESORT WAS SOLD_OUT WHEN WE WERE THERE.

Overall,very good service, lots of chairs, premium drinks (Remy, Hennesy,grey-goose).
The resort is really good for family with kids 6-13.

Stayed May 2006
13 Thank Abcdgo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2006

My family (husband and teenage daughter) spent a week at this resort the second week of April. Before leaving for our vacation I jumped on this website to read reviews. I was a little nervous reading some of the negative reviews but had been looking forward to our vacation for so long that I pushed the negative aside. I'm glad I didn't worry myself sick over what I read. We had a GREAT time. The resort was beautiful. The staff and management were nothing but friendly and nice. Our room was clean and we had no bugs, run-down furniture or any of the other nonsense I've read.

The food at all of the restaurants was delicious. Drinks were made with top-shelf liquor. Certainly not watered down.

Please keep in mind that this is a FAMILY resort. If you are children haters you should go somewhere else.
We plan on going back again next year. If you are planning or already have planned a family trip to this resort, please relax. Most of the negative reviews I read on this site were unfounded.
Enjoy and have fun.