“Beautiful beach and grounds --BUT.. prices too high” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa

Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa
Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
New York
“Beautiful beach and grounds --BUT.. prices too high”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2006

We returned from Beaches two weeks ago. As everyone says here, DON'T go if you don't have kids!! Our last visit to the resort was 6 years ago and it was probably the best vacation of our lives. At that time, there were hardly any families, no sesame street program, just serious divers and couples, mostly.
We did 2 dives every day (6 years ago) and were blown away by the gorgeous beaches and great dive program. we vowed to one day return.
Now we have a 2 year-old and decided to go back to take advantage of the kids program. The resort is very very expensive, costing us $1000 a day, although I did book a nice Presidential suite with a large balcony (near the Arizona waterfall pool). There are rooms for a lot less, though, about $400 a night for the regular main building. Of course, that includes all food and drinks but I ended up paying extra for wine every night out at dinner because we are wine drinkers and didn't like what they had that was included in the prices. Speaking of drinks, you CAN get premium vodka like grey goose at the bar in the main building. you have to ask for it by name. The concierge service that came with the suites wasn't that great. we asked for grey goose for the room and he said they don't have it when later we found out they did. I ended up paying $65 to get the concierge to go get it for us. The "stocked wet bar" in the room has weird unknown labels like vodka from the Bahamas??? We wouldn't have touched that to disinfect something!!
The food is OK-not fabulous but not terrible. The French restaurant Le Petit Chateau was our favorite and the service was great, very friendly. We liked the afternoon buffet at Arizonas, the open air grill had ribs, burgers, etc.
The kids program seemed pretty good, lots of fun activities, but towards the end of the week, my daughter didn't want to go back in, not sure if something happened there, there is no way to know but the childcare women did seem pretty competent and they seemed to like kids. We used the nanny service every night for 2 hours and it was well worth the $12 an hour for a night of peaceful dining. We got very spoiled. Audrey was our favorite, they take the kids to the parade, to eat, etc., they don't just stay in your room (unless you want that) she even gave the baby a nice bubble bath in our room! Our kid loved posing with the sesame street characters.
One great attraction that costs extra is the iguana island trip, it is not to be missed! The half day includes snorkeling off an island and the iguana reserve is amazing, they iguanas will come up and take pieces of apple right out of your hand! We were only able to go because of the child care program since 2 is really too young to enjoy these types of outings.
The property is beautiful, the beaches as gorgeous as ever, I just think they charge too much for what you get. For what we paid for a week we could have stayed in the Florida Keys for 2 months in an oceanfront condo!! Of course, it is supposedly "all-inclusive" but if you are choosy about wine, you will end up buying your own. My bill when I checked out was ANOTHER $1000, of course I dd splurge on nannies, wine, got a lot of beaches stuff from the gift store, photos, etc.
Bottom line: it's a beautiful place to go if you have money to burn. Don't go if you are pinching pennies or on a budget. Even the Four Seasons chain (5 star) is less expensive!!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
20 Thank Amy P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,771)
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2006

We were a little apprehensive about going to Beaches on vacation after reading some of the negative reviews. After we arrived I still wonder if the people who are complaining were staying at the same place we were. Here are all the pros and cons (mostly pros)

Arrival at the airport - It took us over an hour to get through customs and it was very warm (ths is no fault of the resort). Be prepared to wait in a long line.

Ride to the resort - We were placed in an AIR-CONDITIONED van with two other families for our short trip to the resort.

Arrival at the resort - We were greeted by FRIENDLY staff who provided us with a cold towel and rum punch. It was about 4 pm when we arrived at the resort so we were immediately taken to our room and our luggage was brought to us. (It's listed that check in time is 4pm, so why you would book a flight that allows you to arrive at the resort hours ahead of check in just so you could complain about the fact that your room wasn't ready is beyond me)

Our room - We stayed in the French Village and asked for a room with two beds. Our room had one king size bed and a pull out sofa. The pull out sofa was not very comfortable to sleep on, but this wasn't a huge issue. There were two adults and a child, so we all just slept in the king sized bed. Our room was very CLEAN. It did smell a bit musty, but then again, where did you go on vacation? All we had to do is open up the sliding glass door and the smell went away quickly. We had fresh towels daily. A beetle decided to visit our room and we escorted him outside where he belonged. The room was not bug infested and moldy like some of the other reviews stated. Our safe wasn't working, but all it took was a call to guest services and someone came right away and fixed it. Again we stayed in the French Village which has nightly entertainment. If you don't want to be bothered in the evening until about 10:00 with any noise then don't stay in the French Village. It wasn't a problem for us, we didn't go to bed until 10:00 anyway.

The towel game - The first morning out we saw a bunch of towels reserving chairs and no bodies. After the first day, this really didn't seem to be an issue. I think people realized they wouldn't have any problem getting a chair. There were ones available under the umbrellas as well. We always found plenty of towels available for use. And if you plan ahead (get towels today to use tomorrow), you really won't have any problems.

Sunscreen - Take plenty of sunscreen with you. You are going to a different climate....plan ahead. We went through two bottles of 50spf for our 9 year old and were there for a week. It's not cheap in the gift shop.

Pools - The pools were very clean. We didn't swim in all of them, we spent most of the time on the beach. I can swim in a pool at home.

Kids programs - We didn't use the services but witnessed alot of what went on because we spent time each day on the porch of the Xbox room while our son played inside. From what we saw, the staff did a great job planning activities for the kids. We wanted ours with us since it was a family vacation.

Staff - I can't say enough good things about the staff. They were all wonderful, very accommodating and went out of the way to help you. I didn't find ANYONE rude who worked there like some of the other reviews stated. The only rude people I encountered there were the people who were on vacation there. One man asked a staff member for something and the staff member directed him to where he could find it. His comment was...."No, I don't think you understand....I paid the resort, they pay you and I want you to go get it". Another man all but threw a fit becasue at one of the swim up bars he wanted two beers, two bottles of water...and something else and wated a container to carry it back to the room in. Tthe bars don't have water, you have to get them at the desk. He proceeded to make a spectacle of himself and then said just forget it and walked away. I'm convinced these are the type of people who write the negative reviews. They would never be happy anywhere under any circumstances. I was raised to say please and thank you and appreciate what people do for you.......not feel like you're entitled. Arnold at Arizona's is wonderful! He took care of all our needs when we dined there. Seriena was our wedding coordinator. We got married while we were there, and again, everyone was wonderful to us and very accommodating.

Food - The food really was very good. But then again, I'm not used to eating a gourmet meal three times a day. We wend to Reflections for breakfast every day. They had a wide variety of food and it was all at the appropriate temperatures. The hot stuff was hot and the cold stuff was cold. Other reviews I've read said the food was cold. We never experienced that. We didn't eat lunch anywhere, just a cone of ice cream or a cookie because we were still full from breakfast so I can't comment on the lunch menues. We ate dinner at Arizona's, Reflections, Guiseppes, Schooners and Kimono's (btw, we had no problem getting a reservation). All of the meals were very good. If you don't like buffet's then don't go to them and then complain about it. We did not eat at the adult only restaurants....again we were on a family vacation.

The return trip - If you are scheduled for an afternoon flight, you will probably run into lines at the airport. It took us about two hours to get our bags checked and get through customs. (Not a fault of the resort)

Nights - the nights are a little cool, you might to take some long pants and a jacket.

The only trip we took away from the resort was to Iguana island. We saw plenty of iguanas there...but then again you have to look to see them, they blend in with the environment. We also went snorkeling and had a fantastic time. They also took us to an island to look for sand dollars. We didn't find any, but I didn't let it ruin our trip....again, this is no fault of the resort.

This trip was worth every penny we spent and we will definately go back!

35 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2006

We stayed at Beaches Negril last year and enjoyed staying at Turks more this year with very young children 3 1/2 and 1 1/2. To begin with, the transportation is 10 minutes versus 90 minutes. Customs and Immigration are a mess in both locations. Govt officials very, very cranky and kids were in meltdown. Plus NO stroller- as immigration must be cleared (on both islands) before you can collect your bags and stroller. So, you're holding tired squirmy toddlers while you wait in a hot line with carry-ons for an hour or two. We got in very, very late, so we only waited about 30 minutes. Taxi ride was hot, but it was only 10 minutes. Not a big deal.

The room was clean. I have two boys, so we ended up at just about every public bathroom there- near restaurants, pools, etc. Every one of them was clean. One near the French Village had about 5-10 ants, but I never saw any trash or dirty conditions. Pools looked moderate to good for cleanliness. Restaurants very clean. Any time the toddler spilled juice, french fries, chips- the janitor was there to mop up- which was kind of annoying if they did it while you were eating, but they were friendly about it.

The food. Just ok. I am not a food snob. I can barely cook. But, there was a dessert buffet at every lunch and dinner and I would make a small sample tray and there was not one single good dessert. Buffets had limited options. Adult restaurant Sapodillas had a few good options. Other adult restaurant Le Petit Chateau was pretty good. Arizona's had good quesadilla appetizer at dinner, but their food at lunch was overcooked, dry and bland. The Diner had mostly kid food under a heat lamp. French fries were rejected by my french fry addict sons- they were stale and cold. Most days at lunch I had a pre-made turkey and cheese on white bread with a mayo packet. There just weren't a lot of options.

Service- We had a one bed suite. Concierge service was very good. They forgot a milk delivery (they'll stock your fridge with quarts of parmalot milk if you ask) and they were incredibly apologetic. Turned out it was even my fault- I had kept the do not disturb sign on. They made all reservations for restaurants for us. Overall, the service in restaurants was good. There was a lunchtime server at Bobby Dees, a young woman from the Phillipines who was extremely polite and almost over the top helpful. An excellent waiter at Le Petit Chateau, friendly concierge staff and many others.

Location- we were in the main section near Arizona's and the Cascade waterfall pool. Great location. A minute to the beach. Plenty of chairs over there. If you are facing the beach and walk to your left, you would find dozens/ maybe hundreds of available chairs, many with shade from trees and some with umbrellas. We never had any problem getting chairs or towels at any of the pools at any time of the day. We often got towels at the pool at 2:30/3pm. I don't think they heat the pools, so the pools were best in the afternoon. I HATE cold water- heat my pool to 84, but I was fine in the French Village pool and FV kiddie pool- great for toddlers. Boys were fine too. The weather seemed cooler than Jamaica. Usually 79 degrees F. in first week of May, so you might feel cooler in the pool.

Kids club- I wasn't amazed by this club. The person at the front desk was very crabby and you had to know to ask the right questions regarding registration. Bring your kids birth certificates or passports on the first day, diapers and wipes if they use them, swimsuits and swim diapers separate too. I brought labeled backpacks as things can get mixed up in the shared cubbies. The kids didn't seem too engaged. My boys didn't want to go more than a couple times. I had assumed the older one would want to go 9-12 every day like he had in Negril. But, I was wrong. A really "peppy" coordinator could turn around the environment. Looked relatively safe, but not exciting. We kept the kids with us most of the time, but we hired a nanny from the center for 2 hours every evening so we could go to dinner on our own. Babysitter handled feeding the kids and either taking them for a walk or watching a movie. Worked out great. Time for a pre-dinner drink, dinner and then coffee and pastries at the French Cafe or a walk on the beach prior to returning to the room.

Length of stay- we stayed 7 nights with two small kids. It was too long for them. They wanted to go home. Not enough different activities to keep their interest. If we did it again, we'd shoot for maybe 4 nights.

The hardest part is the travel. Coming back through the T&C airport and then connecting in Miami is a mess. The lines are endless at T&C and they have to individually hand inspect your luggage in front of you. Very slow and they end up upsetting your packing job a little as they rifle through your dirty clothes. Miami is a mess too, with long lines, getting your luggage, re-checking it after customs, then racing to your terminal where you must go through very long security lines yet again with kids. I think we waited in lines (T&C airport, T&C Immigration, Miaimi Passport Control, Miami Baggage Carousel, Miami Customs, Miami re-checking of baggage, Miami security xray lines, etc) for cumulatively 2-3 hours. Fly direct if you can!

Overall- grounds, buildings, ocean, beach, pools attractive, relaxing, well kept. Babysitter seemed good. Food mediocre/ ok. Definitely not good, but not terrible. Think cafeteria. Service- not the Ritz- but better than your average hotel.

22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Newjersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2006

My wife and our 2 daughters(2 and 4) spent 6 nights from 4/30-5/06. It is Not a 5-star resort, but deserves a 4-star rating.
Service: Superb; I've been to numerous four to five star all-inclusives, but, this is by far the best. About half of staffs are Philipinos. They speak good English and are extremely friendly . Don't even compare them to staff at Dom. Rep.

Grounds: Very well-kept! Gorgeous!

Pools: Average. Pirates Island pool is not really what you see in the brochure. Dissappointed. They have 2 slides and are geared towards kids 6 and over. The staff won't let me ride the slide with my 4 year old. Bad management(most children in this resort is between 1-5).
Beach: Fantastic, but very very narrow.
Room: Average in every category. Don't book suites or villas. It's just more money.
2-3star accomodation.
Food: Good, but the management has to do a better job in knowing who their core customers are. 2 French restaurants are adults only. Again, most people come with kids here. Doesn't make sense right?
By the way, making a reservation is very easy.
THERE ARE PLENTY OF CHAIRS POOLSIDE OR BEACH. BELIEVE ME. WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT THIS? EVERYDAY, WE WERE AT THE POOL AROUND 10 AM. AT LEAST 60% OF CHAIRS ARE EMPTY AND THE RESORT WAS SOLD_OUT WHEN WE WERE THERE.

Overall,very good service, lots of chairs, premium drinks (Remy, Hennesy,grey-goose).
The resort is really good for family with kids 6-13.

Stayed May 2006
13 Thank soyoon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2006

My family (husband and teenage daughter) spent a week at this resort the second week of April. Before leaving for our vacation I jumped on this website to read reviews. I was a little nervous reading some of the negative reviews but had been looking forward to our vacation for so long that I pushed the negative aside. I'm glad I didn't worry myself sick over what I read. We had a GREAT time. The resort was beautiful. The staff and management were nothing but friendly and nice. Our room was clean and we had no bugs, run-down furniture or any of the other nonsense I've read.

The food at all of the restaurants was delicious. Drinks were made with top-shelf liquor. Certainly not watered down.

Please keep in mind that this is a FAMILY resort. If you are children haters you should go somewhere else.
We plan on going back again next year. If you are planning or already have planned a family trip to this resort, please relax. Most of the negative reviews I read on this site were unfounded.
Enjoy and have fun.

• Stayed April 2006
22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2006

My family and I have just returned from the Beaches Family Resort in Turks and Caicos. We booked this trip almost a year in advance and were so excited to visit. However, we were very disappointed once we arrived at the resort. The "Presidential Luxury Suite" was not luxurious at all, in fact we had smashed dead bugs on our walls, the air conditoning fans were so loud that you had to blast the TV at night to hear. Our refrigerator leaked all over for several nights and it took us several days to just get bottled water in our room. The food was mediocre and the pools were not very clean. You had to get up at 6 AM every morning to claim a seat either by the pool or the beach or you did not have one. In our opinion, ten thousand dollars for a weeks stay at Beaches is NOT worth the money. Our two year old, seven year old, and my husband's 81 year old grandmother did not eat one hundred dollars worth of food the entire week.

Turks and Caicos is a beautiful beach, probably the most beautiful that we have seen, please go and visit just do not stay at Beaches Resorts.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Charlotte, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2006

Tip 1 – Pack your swimsuits in a carry-on. Check-in is at 3pm. We arrived at 1pm. We weren’t able to check-in until 4pm. We finally gave up and went to the beach in our clothes b/c the kids were going CRAZY. We saw and heard about this happening to many other people.

Tip 2 – Take a stroller if your child is under three – and a portable DVD player with headphones. We were in the customs line for 2 hours and the kids watched movies. Plus, the tv reception at Beaches is terrible.

Tip 3 – Make all of your reservations for dinners and character breakfast ON ARRIVAL. You will have a few hours to spare anyway so why not? Plus, they fill up fast, especially when the resort is full. Our kids love the Character Breakfast.

Tip 4 – Rent the Beaches buggy. It is only $10 a day and we fit 3 kids and most of our stuff in them! Plus, you can keep it at the bottom of the stairs at night instead of dragging it upstairs everyday like your stroller (plus, your stroller won’t get wet and sandy). Make sure you leave something on it b/c people will take them otherwise. Also, if you go to the kids club to rent them and they say they don’t have any just look around the resort. There are many abandoned ones. Just drive it to the kids club and pay for the one you found.

Tip 5 – DON’T stay in the French village if you have kids. The pool is freezing over there, it is a 15 + minute walk to the beach (which stinks when you have small children and all their gear) and it is LOUD at night until after 10pm. We didn’t stay there but met several people who were staying there with small children and they weren’t very happy.

Tip 6 – There are almost 500 rooms at this resort and only 12 are oceanview (only 6 are ocean front). We picked a one bedroom presidential suite b/c it had said the word oceanview. We could see only a sliver of the ocean through some trees! Unless you are very lucky you aren’t going to be able to see the ocean so don’t pick an expensive room based on that.

Tip 7 – AVOID the French village pool and the pirate island pool. The French village pool is like ICE water and very crowded. Plus, it is more inland and had no ocean breeze so we were sweating to death. If your children are under 5 and you don’t tell them about the pirate island pool they won’t know any different! That pool is just gross (especially the hot tub). And, your child has to be at LEAST 42” before they will let them go down the waterslide (no, they cannot go down with you). Our 4 year old is 41” and they only let him go one time. It is a very slow slide, he had a life jacket on, and he is a strong swimmer but none of that mattered. He was crushed. The Arizona and Iguana pools are much warmer, cleaner, and BOTH have swim up bars where the kids can get drinks and you can get drinks with ALCOHOL. The Arizona pool has caves just like pirate island and the Iguana pool is much warmer than the others. Plus, that is where all of the activities are.

Tip 8 – DON’T GO HERE IF YOU DON’T HAVE KIDS unless you just really, really like them! We met several newlyweds whose travel agents had told them that it was a kid friendly resort but not filled with kids. Ha. There are a million kids there. When I am on vacation WITHOUT kids the last thing is want is kids splashing me at the pool and screaming in restaurants. We were pleasantly surprised that most children were pretty well behaved. Of course we saw probably one couple a day who let their children actually RUN around ALL the tables at mealtimes. That is just rude. But you have to remember that even the best kids have been going, going, going all day long and are TIRED. Tired = cranky = screaming. It’s just good math.

Tip 9 – Get your towels early. They run out at the pools by noon. You can go to the activity hut and get more but that is a pain.

Tip 10 – Get a room with a fridge. We had them put only bottles of red strip, bottled water, diet coke, sprite and apple juice in our fridge. They would then fill our drink counter with tons of extra drinks, bags of chips and pretzels, and boxes of cheerios. This was awesome! We took cold bottled water to the beach every day and we always had portable snacks.

Tip 11 – Bring long pants and bug repellent for night time. It was cool breezy at night. My sons were cool and wanted pants for the evening. Of course they only had one pair each. The mosquitos weren’t an issue until it got dark. Then you couldn’t see them but I did get a couple of bites. I should have sprayed my lower legs/ankles.

Tip 12 – Do the character breakfast (ALL of the characters are there and each come up to hug your child individually), baking cookies with Cookie Monster and the parade. We went to Explore with Grover and the kids hated it b/c it was hot and very boring. You really don’t see the characters near as much as their advertisements make it sound like. Maybe if your kids are in kids camp all day they see them more.

Our three children are 2, 4, and 6. They loved Beaches. They were able to go and get their own strawberry frozen drinks and cokes all day long! The pools look cool and were fun plus they had lots of those big floats to use. The food is very kid friendly. We did not do the kids camp. We don’t do daycare at home and wanted the kids with us. I thought about using it just one morning but when I was going to register I saw the unenthusiastic child care workers walking about 10 bawling 2 and 3 year old children to an activity and just couldn’t do it to my kids. Maybe if they were older it would be better but the little ones (there and inside the building) just seemed miserable. I couldn’t enjoy myself if they were that sad. We did use a nanny one night and that was great. She came to our room and watched a movie with the kids while we went to dinner. She was very nice.

The resort was 100% booked when we were there. However, at the Arizona and Iguana pool we were able to get chairs at any time of the day. Sometimes it was difficult to get a shady spot if you showed up at 1:00pm but not usually. We were also able to get a beach cabana when we wanted one. The extras were stacked to the side and the watersports workers would set one up for us if we needed it.

However, overall beaches lacks GOOD service. We were met with some very friendly servers but most are apathetic or just surly. It is an all-inclusive resort. That means that you can have ALL of the food and beverage that you want. However, you have to go and get most of it YOURSELF. The staff would usually do something for you if you asked, but they usually weren't too happy about doing it. Also, there are no waiters around to take a drink order while you lay on your chair or play at the beach (and no beach bar). They will also give you all of the liquor that you want. However, bar employees did not seem friendly or even happy most of the time. Yes, the food is pretty average but not bad. There is NO room service (unless you have a butler which we had at Whitehouse but did not feel was worth the extra money). Many restaurants are buffet. The constant buffet meals annoyed us b/c with three small kids we had to go and get a lot of food for them before we could even go and get our own food and then start eating! Sometimes they would take our drink order and sometimes they were invisible so we would have to get all of our drinks as well. We opted for full service restaurants as often as possible, but then service was slow as other reviews have stated.

Maid service came twice a day so we had more clean towels in the room than we ever knew what to do with. The bed was hard as a rock but the linens were clean.

The suite concierge was a joke. They are seriously overworked and thus they aren’t much help. They usually forget your requests and aren’t even that friendly. No one remembers you from one day to the next – even when you are putting in a request.

We came here because we love the all-inclusive idea and had two free nights. However, we are going to look at other all-inclusive resorts for our next vacation. All of the nice resorts have a beach and great pools. Next time we are looking for SERVICE (and a REAL ocean view would be nice as well!). Email me if you have any questions.

29 Thank cheerit