“Beaches was wonderful!”

Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa
Ranked #12 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed March 4, 2005

We just returned today from a 7 night stay at Beaches Turks and Caicos Resort. My husband and I and our 3 kids (7, 4 and 1 in age) had a great time during our stay. I have to be honest that I was very nervous about the resort due to many negative reviews I have read. We gave it a go anyway and completely disagree with many of the bad things we heard.

First of all, let's start with the food. Aside from fresh seafood (which was plenty in abundance), we did not choose to vacation in Providenciales because of the food. We went beause of the diving, snorkeling and beaches that this island is known for. We are from near Manhattan so we are used to eating fine dining - we went open-minded and did not expect any comparison to what we are used to eating. However, there were several restaurants such as Le Petit Chateau and Sapodilla's which we found excellent. There is always something for everyone's liking at all of the restaurants. Schooner's was great as well. There was always tons of fresh fruit and vegetables available with every meal, along with a big variety of desserts. No, the service was not always perfect but once again, this is not The Four Seasons.

Another criticism I found to be untrue was the "poor attitude" of the staff. The basic rule of thumb in life is generally to treat others as you would like to be treated. I worked in the service industry for many years and it is difficult to be nice to people who are rude and unfriendly. I noticed that many employees at Beaches did not feel confident enough to be friendly simply because I have a feeling they are used to people acting rude toward them. All it takes is a smile or "Good Morning" and it is amazing what a little kindness can do. No employee was ever rude to any member of my family.

As far as the kids club goes, my 2 oldest kids both participated on and off almost each day in their appropriate age group. The camp was far from boring and I know this because my husband and I were curious and popped in once in a while.

We never wanted for a towel and the pool was never cold. A hot pool is not refeshing anyway. The nightly entertainment was not "campy" (after all, it's not Las Vegas!) As far as bugs go, this is the Caribbean! I learned this after living in Key West for 2 years. If you are going to leave empty Coke cans and food wrappers in your room overnight, they will come. We never saw a bug in our room.

We would definitely return to Beaches and are looking to go to Beaches Negril next year.

28  Thank nanjech

St. Louis, MO
Reviewed March 4, 2005

Let me start by saying my husband and I were suppose to be vacationing at the new Sandals Whitehouse in Jamaica. Due to my travel agent messing that up, we decided to try a new island but stay with a Sandals/Beaches property.

Beaches Turks and Caicos was a great family resort. Please hear my warning and DO NOT GO THERE IF YOU DO NOT HAVE CHILDREN. By the second day my husband and I were trying to get transfered to a different resort. We did know this was a family resort for we have stayed at Beaches Negril once. But let me tell you, this resort had over 860 children the week we were there, the manager informed us. There is no pool just for adults, you wait in 10 minute lines to get a drink from the bar because all the children are getting their drinks, kids yelling, screaming and fighting with their siblings or parents just made this a horrible place to try and relax at.

The food was pretty good but nothing to write home about. Better than other Sandals resorts we have stayed at in the past. Nice there were two places to escape from the children, Turtles Bar and one restaurant. Go see O'Brien at the French Restaurant, he was great. The night entertainment was better than we have had at other resorts.

The pools were great, but again you really could not get a raft to lay on because all the children were playing on them. The pools were pretty cold but tolerable. I don't know why some reviews mentioned they were dirty, I did not see that at all.

I was very hesitant from the reviews I read about bugs. I did not see one roach while I was there. There are some sort of hard shell bugs you see but they are very small. I am terrified of bugs and these did not bother me.

The rooms were very Holiday Inn but they were clean. We had a great king bed and it was extremely comfortable. One of the best we have ever had.

The resort is very big and you will have to walk alot. This did not bother me but it did get to my husband. Bring comfy shoes for the day. The beach was beautiful but we could never find an empty chair on the beach. The water was the most beautiful I have ever seen and we travel 2-3 times a year out of the country.

Overall I think this property is overpriced for what you get. If you have children, I don't think you will be disappointed. If you do not have children, go to a Sandals resort or someplace else. We finally got transferred out of there after 5 days/4 nights.

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 3, 2005

Upon reading some of the reviews before we left I was prepared to be very dissatisfied. We have been to many places in the Caribbean and really loved Beaches. Most everyone we spoke to were also having a great time. There are of course some who are unhappy and grippy now matter what they do. The pools were beautiful and cool but comfortable once you got in. The property was large and very well maintained. The beach was very nice and went on for miles. The food was good and the wait staff courteous. They were not as prompt as a fine restaurant in the USA but if you relaxed the meals were very pleasurable and good.

Our twin 6 year old girls loved it! They loved the kids club and loved to pools. They made little friends and swam, swam and then swam some more. We enjoyed the adults only dining and the kids had a great time at Bobby D's with the other kids. I would not recommend Beaches if you do not have children.

We plan on returning next year and have recommended it to friends.

• Stayed: May 2005
9  Thank pecanmike
New York City, NY
Reviewed March 2, 2005

This was our first family vacation to Beaches. We have traveled to many places as a family. all of which were 4-5 star hotel/resorts. After reading the bad reviews and actually being there i wondered what these people where talking about?
The place was very clean, excellent rooms (we had a 1 bdrm Presidential suite on the beach). friendly people, good service, incredible beach and a fun place for the kids.
To those people who thought it was a bad place..........you must have been drugged on the flight over or nothing can please you.
The food was ok, but in reality, you are not there for the food.
I highly recommend this resort

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Brielle New Jersey
Reviewed March 1, 2005

I have to say we had a great stay at Beaches and would return in a heartbeat, just not on a holiday weekend or school break. Like a previous review i'm also in the hospitality industry and have managed large facilities and am understanding of what it takes to deliver consistant quality service. I truly believe that to have a memorable experience at a mega resort with high volume capabilities like Beaches (600 guests when we arrived 1800+ when we left) you have to stay on a off week. Our stay was 9 days with 3 couples (6 kids ,6 adults) all in 1 bedroom suites with concierge service. The suites were nice and large enough so the kids had their own space, the bed and furnishings were new or well maintained. House keeping was excellent (Lourdes come home with me) and trust me I dont throw that word out often. Concierge service was a nice surprise ( Gaston was the man!) they kept the room stocked with snacks and full size wine and liquor (high quality upon request) soda beer etc. the entire stay without prompting. The food and service ( Canile at Schooners should be a service trainer ) was well above average at all the restaurants the first 7 days, then presidents day weekend rolled around and the service levels greatly diminished (busloads of people arrived) with quality was still present if you caught it before they ran out. In excess of 350 of the 750+ total employees are F&B staff ( I inquired ) but it seemed that staffing levels did not meet resort occupation.....so beware. On the up side the fruit, produce and overall food selction were suprisingly awesome. Last but certainly not least the grounds were beautiful. For a very large facility with many different types of trees shrubs, flowers and grasses all were very well manicured and colorful the task is never ending, great job. I dont know if my feedback will help to make your search of finding the perfect island getaway easier or just confuse you more, in any event I wish you luck!

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 28, 2005

My family and I just got back from a 11 day trip to Beaches. It was wonderful. My 6 year old son said he liked it better then Disney. I was nervous about the trip after reading all the negative reviews! Nothing was true about the negative reviews. The people who wrote them must be from another planet. Everything was great, from the airport, to the rooms, the food, to the people who worked at Beaches. (the employees are very friendly)

My kids (6 yearold and 4 year old) loved to pools. (they were a little cold) My husband and I loved the beach. (ocean was warmer) Ocean is beautiful!

The food was great! We all liked the selections of food. We traveled with 2 other families and the restaurants were always about to seat us together. (we were a party of 12) Arizonia's had great lunch selections and was made very pretty for dinner.

The rooms were very nice and clean. We stayed in the 1 bedroom Grand Lux Honeymoon Suite. The kids loved having their own room.

The resort photo's (Tropical Images) were the best! Thanks Tropical Images!!! We actually got pictures taken of the whole family. (Mom never gets in pictures, I'm always behind the camara)

If I have to complain about one thing, it is the prices. It's expensive to stay at Beaches. We could have gone to Hawaii with what we spent on the trip to Beaches. That aside, we were very pleased.

All in all, I wouldn't have traded this trip for anything else. I highly recommend it.

We will return some day!!!

8  Thank mdnapp2016
Reviewed February 25, 2005

We just returned from Beaches Turks and Caicos yesterday and I felt compelled to warn others of our frustrating experience. My husband and I travelled with our two children, 11 and 4. I worked in the hotel business myself for many years, so I am unusually patient when it comes to little inconveniences, but Beaches was one alarming dissapointment after another. Let me repeat, we are not high maintenance.

First, we were promised by the beaches booking representative two connecting rooms, which were not available upon arrival. The staff was very reluctant to try anything to help accomadate us, after much pressing they finally agreed to give us the connecting room the next day. The rooms overall were fine in the French Village, but not up to the advertisement. Almost everyone we encountered upon arrival was complaining on several levels- not a good start to a relaxing get away.

The service in the restaurants was slow and apathetic at best. It was not uncommon to see people getting up to refill their own drinks and this was not at the "buffet style" choices. Almost all breakfast restaurants were buffet, but if you would like to wait for thirty to forty minutes at Schooners(while half the tables inside were not sat due to an absence of wait staff) you could be served semi warm- medicore food, but don't expect your coffee to be refilled. Sapadillos was the one nice dining experience, with the food and service being what we had expected during our entire stay. The lattes at Cafe de Paris and yummy snacks were the only thing that got us through constant small annoyances we endured.

On three different days the hotel completely ran out of pool and beach towels. The staff would simply direct me to another location or pool which was a five minute walk, which would also be out of towels. The beach was absolutely gorgeous, and is where we spent most of our time. The pools were too cold to swim in at the time, so it worked out well that my kids love the beach. There was no way I would think about placing my kids in the Kuda club, which seemed like the most depressing of all day care centers.

Overall, the entire place did not seem well run, and in some places not even very clean. The service staff although nice seemed very bothered by any simple request. If you don't mind standing in line for every small thing you need, then perhaps this is a good choice for you. All the little things that go wrong certainly add up, and even on such a beautiful island make for an unpleasant experience.

We went to this location with a $11,000 price tag for four people (including air) and felt more than royally cheated, not treated. Then they wanted to charge us $12.00 per person for the Character breakfast available only on Thursday morning which was they last straw!!

We may go back to Turks and Caicos, but will never travel to a Sandals or Beaches resort again.

I don't know who wrote the review giving this location 5 stars but it certainly sounds like a Beaches marketing exec, not a person who actually stayed at the resort. If I were part of Beaches management I would be ashamed of this product.

26  Thank honestcritic