“A mixed bag-some excellent, some terrible, mostly mediocre”

Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa
Ranked #12 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed July 9, 2014

This is a difficult review to write. We took a family of 16 for a 50th wedding anniversary celebration. It was our first experience with an all inclusive resort and will probably be the last. There are several things that are great about the resort, several things that are terrible, and a lot of mediocrity in between.

From the time we booked, we had difficulty with communications. Because we have smaller grandchildren, we wanted to have adjoining rooms with their parents. We were told to book very early to insure adjoining rooms so reservations were made over a year and a half in advance in the French Village. Imagine our surprise when several months before our anticipated arrival, we were told that the resort could not guarantee adjoining rooms. This is supposed to be a family resort and I found this answer to be unacceptable. As a result of the failure to guarantee adding rooms, we then moved our room reservations to 2 bedroom concierge suites in the Key West Village. As a result of this change, we ended up paying substantially more than our original booking would have been and as a reward for extra revenue to the resort, they took away our "group" status as we were now booking 4 rooms(7 bedrooms) and they had recently changed their policy to grant group status to room bookings of 5 or more! After an angry E-mail to the General Manager, Beaches did reinstate our "group" status and group amenities but the experience left a bad taste in my mouth and we hadn't even arrived yet.

Another issue is sleeping arrangements. Again, as a family resort, why have 2 bedrooms with King beds in both? We had a few teens with us who were not keen on sharing a king bed. Why in the world wouldn't a family hotel have a king room for parents and another bedroom with 2 beds, either twin or full? For a family of more than 4, the additional sleeping option is a trundle bed in the living room of the suite. Beaches claims that these 2 bedroom suites sleep 6 but unless 2 of your family want to share the second king and others sleep on a trundle bed, it is a lousy arrangement for the price being charged.

Food was another issue. As a group of 16, we wanted to eat as a group each evening, either at a table of 16 or 2 tables of 8. We were told that only one restaurant took a reservation and that was Kimonos. We could show up at 6:30 and probably be seated as a group but we wanted to eat later at 8-8:15 so everyone could clean up after a day on the beach. We were told that we would not be able to do that. I said we would even confirm each day with a restaurant manager that we would be coming that evening with a large group but were told repeatedly that we could not make reservations and it was a strictly first come first serve proposition. We decided to make a firm reservation at Kimonos and then take our chances with the other restaurants by simply showing up at the 8:00 time frame and see if we could all be seated. Imagine our shock when we showed up at Kimonos at 8:00 PM for our reservation that had been made 3 months in advance and, was listed on our group activities sheet, and were told WE HAD NO RESERVATION! The manager actually asked me to go back to my room and bring back proof that we had a reservation. I refused and he then said "I'm taking a risk but I will seat you". How's that for customer service! To add additional insult, our group went to the Italian restaurant, Maurio's, one night at 8:15 and I was told by the greeter that we should have had a reservation made by the culinary concierge. After informing here that I had tried for months to get reservations and was told , even by their own staff member the same morning at breakfast, that it was a strictly first come basis. I did speak with the restaurant manager and expressed my belief that no one in Beaches talks to on another. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

On a positive note, we did have great meals at SOY, the sushi restaurant and Schooners. Mercedes was the manager at Soy and went out of her way to give us two of the best meals we had at Beaches. The manager at Schooners also arranged a table of 16 for us and the meal was very nice. We also had a private anniversary dinner for the 16 of us that was very well done, albeit at a hefty surcharge over the all inclusive rate. Overall, however, we found the restaurants to be just average in terms of quality of food and presentation. The nice thing about an all inclusive resort is that you can eat often and as much as you want out don't expect to to be a fine dining experience.

What is excellent? The beach, pools and water park. The beach was as good as any that I have ever been to. The pools with swim up bars were also great. My only complaint is that there was not enough shade as it gets very hot in the afternoon and cabanas, umbrellas seemed to be taken early by butlers for their assigned families, leaving most of us to fend for ourselves with the sun.

Included activités are a bit of a joke also. We did a hobie cat ride that lasted less than 10 minutes. Two in our group wanted to dive but had to take the refresher course first which we paid for in advance. On the day of the course, the watersports desk had no record of their reservation. Snorkeling is done with a very large group and when we booked a private snorkeling trip, Beaches canceled it on the day we were to go out.

I could go on longer but I hope readers have gotten a feel for some of the frustrations we encountered. This is a great property on a great beach with great water activities. It is marred by a lack of customer service ( a trait I have noted on many caribbean islands), poor communications amongst staff and inconsistent rules. If you are looking for a resort where food is measured more by quantity than quality, promises and reservations don't seem to matter and activities are crowded, Beaches is your place. I, however, will never return.

15  Thank 41RobertB41
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Hello Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us about your stay at Beaches Turks and Caicos. Our goal is to provide our guests with excellent customer service from the time of booking until check-out and we were truly disappointed to hear that there was some confusion that marred your overall experience. We always want to ensure that we’re serving our guests efficiently and your comments indicate that there is much room for improvement, especially within our communication process. I will be sharing your remarks with all relevant departments for immediate evaluation and action as needed. We hope you will allow us to make this up to you on a future stay with us. We would love to welcome you back and provide the excellent service for which we are known.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

I didn't know if the employees weren't paid enough or just disliked me. Every eatery has a different set of rules. I paid way too much to be told I had to wear shoes to the on the beach dinning facility on a hot evening.. Tired and hungry with no notices in the rooms or around the resort. You get up to the seating area and they send you away for this or that. Some places not serving you if you are wearing shorts. Even a nice pair.. We had a great time despite the awkwardness.. I saw people being treated like garbage trying to rent snorkeling equipment. I couldn't get a seat by the pool unless I got up at 6 am and put a book or blanket to hold a spot. Funny how most the seats were always empty but being held. It was just stupid. Seriously. And their were more rules about the beach and the hours you could do things.. people were in long lines waiting on the hot sand just to use a water bike.. couldn't use snorkel gear if it were 1 hour till they closed the shop.. Were told if we didn't bring gear back within a two hour window we would be charged. Had to leave a deposit of 300 to get video games for the kids in the room. But the part that bothered me the most was the eating requirements. You walk all the way to the other end of the resort thinking your gonna have a romantic dinner only to be chased away to change into something else.. Dress code changed that day they said.. Talk about frustrations. They have your money, there is no one to complain to. Also one small bracelet was stollen from my room.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank Sarah O
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We went to Beaches with a total of 17 people - we had 3 separate suites; one 3 bedroom & two 2 bedroom - 4 families. We all found the resort to be fabulous. We were in the Key West Village; the rooms were lovely & the maid service was great. We even had a porch on the third floor of the 3 bedroom which was heavenly at night.
The staff was very accommodating & the restaurants were excellent. They were very good about getting our large group in, even when they were pretty busy & we did not have a reservation. The kids were thrilled with the pools and water slides; there were restaurants & bars all over - they really made you feel like they were there to make your vacation special. We attended their beach party one night which was great - entertainment & tons of food, lots of fun.
The resort is very large - not a complaint; but it did make it difficult to keep track of each other. We signed up and paid for their WIFI so we could text each other - but it really did not work - that would be my only complaint.
All in all just about the perfect family vacation. Something for everyone - my group had a wonderful time & would go back in a minute.

Room Tip: The Key West Village seemed to be quieter than the other villages; however, it required a bit of a w...
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I was absolutely amazed at the quality of everything at the resort. The employees were courteous, accommodating, and always greeting us with a smile and a hello. The room, a Caribbean one room with two double beds and a fold out single, was perfectly sized for our family of four. Though it was obvious it was one of the oldest parts of the resort, it was well-kept and updated. We had a maid every day and fresh towels, as well as turn down service at night. There was a fully stocked fridge with sodas and water that was refilled everyday as well- for free! There was an Xbox in the room, though I am not much of a gamer. We also had a view of the resort and a little sliver of view of the ocean from room 381. It was near the stairs as well, so that was a plus. The food was amazing! We had breakfast every morning at Reflections, though there were many other options. Lunch was at Arizonas, where we were treated to a buffet that had everything from pasta to jerk chicken. Dinner was my favorite part-- other than the gorgeous beach of course! We ate at Giusuppe's- it was a buffet style and the food there was not as expected, but it was adequate. The best meals were at Schooner's, Arizona's, Barefoot by the Sea, and Kimono's. The quality of these meals was what you would find at a five star restaurant. Did not have much of a chance to visit anything else, but will be sure to next year! There were so many activities you could choose to take part in, entertainment every night, and the beach was just like a dream. I cannot wait to return next year!!! If you can avoid going through Miami though- do it-- they lost/misplaced our bags both going and coming and the customs on the way back was very unorganized and we almost missed our flight. Happy travels!

Room Tip: All rooms are good-- I've heard there is not a bad view.
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Just returned from the week of July 4th. The resort was 100% occupied, yet did not seem overly crowded. We stayed at the Caribbean Village with two concierge one bedroom suites. We had a problem arriving at the airport with the Beaches staff not having a record of all in our party. This led to an annoying delay in the heat. When we arrived at Beaches, we were greeted with rum punch and cold towels - nice. The same delay happened again while the staff looked for our reservation - again annoying. We then were shown to our rooms and off to the pool we went -but no towels. Were we seven to dry ourselves rolling over in the grass? I returned to the concierge office and requested towels and would wait for the towels there myself. They could tell I was getting angry. If all spoke up, Beaches might get the hint to have sufficient towels for the guests. It is not asking too much given their rates. Not a good start to Beaches. I was given excuses by the manager later on and I responded not having towels would be a reason not to return to this Beaches. Get towels early! No other issues occurred after this start for the rest of the vacation. We could not decide which was better - the Grace Bay beach or the pools. The beach water was just fantastic and the pools a great deal of fun. We liked our suites at the Carib Village! The refrig was always stocked, maids came in twice a day, and the location was perfect for a two minute walk to the beach or the two pools. The water park was only about 10 minutes away. We ate lunch almost everyday at nearby Arizona with their grills providing fresh grilled items. We also ate breakfast at nearby Reflections - great breakfast buffet and two chef stations. Great air-conditioning too. The pools at the Italian and French Villages seemed overly packed, so we stayed at our two pools. We had excellent meals at Barefoot By The Sea and Schooners. The food at Marios and their service were turn-offs. Bell Napoli's pizza , another restaurant located at one of the two Carib pools, lived up to its reputation and were a great snack at the pools. Nice people working there. Any one of the Villages could be a resort unto itself, but here we had multiple areas for entertainment and food. This makes the resort unique. Dee's ice cream shop always hit the mark. The guests young and old were all well behaved and the staff pleasant.

Room Tip: Caribbean Village closest to the beach and two pools and several restaurants. The suites were nice.
5  Thank conntraveler_7
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed here in June 2014. Overall experience was good but not sure we would return. We vacationed with 6 other families, the size of the resort made it difficult to catch up with the others at times. Food was above average for an all inclusive. My favorites were the Sushi Restaurant for dinner and Neptunes for breakfast. Marios was horrible for dinner, ok for lunch. Bella Napoli pizza good for anytime but crazy long waits. Our room was located in the Italian Village ocean side, no complaints here. Be sure to reorder your fridge supplies in timely manner, restocking was slow. My only real complaint would be the excursions!!! Very disappointed in Lady K private fishing excursion. Cost was phenomenal, after reading the brochure and talking to the staff at beaches we felt like we would pay the extra price for being able to customize the trip. FiFi the owner had his own agenda and it was not customized. We wanted to primarily fish but due to his lack of bait brought on the boat, we were able to fish for about 30 minutes of a 6 hour trip. FiFi is very tight with the girls working at the excursion desk, I'm sure they get a kick back. He did discount our trip a small amount when we voiced our concerns but really not acceptable. On a more positive note, my family of 4 all enjoyed the spa and massages, really one of the best experiences. Airport was horrific as everyone has reviewed.....

Room Tip: Italian is the best!!! Worth the money to upgrade
2  Thank Ann K
Reviewed July 8, 2014

This place is amazing and I can't recommend it enough. We went with our 2 daughters ( 7 and 9 years old) to get married. It was better than we could have dreamed.

Airport
The airport was small but we got moved through very quickly with no problems at all, as soon as we walked outside we was asked where we was staying, our bags were taken off of us we were offered drinks and walked to a taxi. No waiting which was great after a 12 hour flight!!

Check in
Once we arrived at Beaches we were offered cool towels and more drinks, walked to a beautiful check in lounge ( we were in the French Village) where we were talked through the forms and told about our wedding planning meeting. We was then taken straight to our suite, no sooner had I taken off my shoes our luggage turned up. Fantastic!!

Suite
Our suite was in the French Village on the ground floor, we had a king size bed room, a lounge/ dining room, and another bedroom with 2 double beds. We had 3 bathrooms! Our fridges (all 3 of them) were restocked daily, the housekeeping came 3 times a day to make beds ( clean linen daily) clean rooms check if we needed anything. The suite was fab lots of space, comfy and very clean.

Resort
The resort is spotless I have never seen people scrubbing pavements before!! My first few days I was up at 5am I would sit out on the patio and watch staff cleaning everything, the sides of the pool, the sunloungers, sweeping constantly. Everywhere you turn there is someone doing something, gardening, painting, cleaning it is immaculate!
You have lots of choice from loud pool parties to quieter pools, no where was ever packed you can always get a sunlounger, there is always someone asking if you want a drink or a slice of fruit as you sit by the pool! I have seen some people complaining about towels by the pool, we never had a problem getting towels, they were refilled at least twice a day ( the French Village pool) The bar staff at the French Village pool are amazing, so friendly and very entertaining to us and our children, my daughter's loved them and were good friends by the end of our two weeks!
The gardens and buildings were beautiful, sticking with the designs of the different areas French Village, Italian Village, Caribbean Village and Key West. All offering different bar areas, pools and restaurants. To much choice!! Our favourites were the French and Caribbean areas, but they were all beautiful.
The geckos were here n there, amazing my daughters with there up wall walking skills, there are not many birds but the ones you see are stunning! My girls made friends with a couple of the cats who live on site so friendly and beautiful colouring. And we saw a butterfly the size of a dinner plate amazing!! .

Restaurants
They were all delicious, some offer menu options others were buffet, we preferred the buffet ones as my children could have a bit of everything. Our favourites being Giuseppes for breakfast, the chef cooking all egg dishes was amazing! Reflections was yummy offering a wider choice with a children's corner offering some firm kids favourites they also had some fab puddings. If you don't fancy eating in a restaurant you can ask for a take away box and eat in your room! Very handy if you have a poorly child ( as we did one day). My daughter's spent a lot of time in Bobby Dees; burgers hot dogs pizza ice cream popcorn candy floss all served in an American diner.

Entertainment
Something for everyone, Sesame street shows for little ones, variety acts for families, karaoke and discos for adults and older kids. Plus much much more. My children really liked movie night a film showed on a big screen on the stage with popcorn and other snacks.
Kids clubs offering a whole range of activities, my 2 loved it! Xbox lounge to pass half hour here or there. Also pool tables, air hockey and table tennis. Lots to keep the kids entertained.

Beach
1 word....... Stunning!! White sand clear water. No part of the beach was busy we had a whole section just to ourselves one day we were there! Sea shells, fish, sand castles my girls were in heaven.

Wedding
We got married there, we had no worries or stress, everything is taken care of. You go to a meeting 1st or 2nd day of being there you choose where you want to get married, where you want your party, what flavour wedding cake etc etc and that's it all done! The wedding organisers can not do enough for you, Our organiser Jultane was amazing treating me and my girls like princesses, bending over backwards to make sure we had everything. Our day past like a dream is was amazing! Our photographer Jimmy was a complete star, after awhile our daughters were hot and bothered and complaining he wasn't fazed at all, he kept our spirits up making us all laugh and enjoy what was near the end very hot. A perfect day

Checkout
They collected our bags in the morning our flight was not until the evening so we spent the day by the pool, then we went to the checkout lounge we were offered drinks and waited 5 minutes for a taxi. The airport is small and we had a little wait to go through customs but nothing to drastic.

All in all a fantastic trip!! We made lots of friends especially my 2 girls with other families in the pools! The staff were amazing, couldn't do enough for you!! And the resort is stunning! We will be back!

4  Thank Emma C