“Beaches Turks & Caicos with a Ten-Month Old”

Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa
Ranked #12 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I just returned after a full week at this resort. Hurricane Sandy started during our visit, which led to three days' worth of rain during our trip. Despite that, we still had a great time because Beaches is such an amazing place!

This was our first vacation as a family, with our ten-month-old daugher. I agonized about taking her out of the country at such a young age and debated going anywhere at all. Because of the excellent reviews on this site and because of the great time my husband and I had at Sandals Grande St. Lucia on our honeymoon three years ago, I decided Beaches Turks and Caicos was the place to go. I am so glad we went! The trip was flawless.

First, let me thank Mike McHugh at Dream Makers Vacation Services. I found him through other TripAdvisor reviews, which all said he was wonderful to work with and very responsive. I definitely found that to be the case. As a worried mother, I e-mailed him quite frequently with innumerable questions and his responses were quick and informative. He managed to get us $250 off our trip due to a promotion I never would have found myself. Also, I have no doubt he was the reason we were upgraded from the most basic room in the Carribean Village to a conceirge suite in Italian Village! Definitely touch base with him if you plan to go to here. Thanks again, Mike!

Next, I'll describe the villages because it is hard to decide where to stay based on the website. There are three villages in this resort and a number of room categories. I won't even begin to describe the room categories - that was part of the reason I contacted Mike, who did a great job breaking them all down for me. The villages are pretty easy to differentiate. Carribean is the oldest. It reminded me of old Florida hotels. Bright pink and bright blue buildings - you get the idea. Although Beaches has taken great care of it, this village just looks and feels old. I think there are two large pools in this area. It is about a one minute walk from the furthest room to the beach. Italian is the newest, has the nicest pool, and is about a 30 second walk to the beach. French is the furthest from the beach and no rooms there had ocean views that I could tell. It would be about a five minute walk to the beach. French is closest to the waterpark, however.

Our room was amazing. Marble floors, huge in size, and tons of windows. It had a separate bedroom for our daughter, a refrigerator stocked with drinks (re-stocked each day), a microwave, a fully stocked bar, coffee maker, and hair dryer. Our daughter's bedroom was separated by a sliding door, which enabled us to watch TV after she went to bed. The room also had a small patio with an ocean view. If we can ever afford to return to this resort, we will definitely stay in Italian Village. The room was so nice and the ocean view priceless!

Most important to me, however, was the child care. I was a nervous wreck about leaving our daughter with anyone, as my husband and I wanted just a few meals to ourselves. I knew I had made the right decision in coming to this resort the moment I stepped in the young infant room. A caregiver was playing with a child on the floor, jar of cleaning wipes in hand. As soon as he put a toy down, she cleaned it!! I am a germaphobe, so I completely appreciated this! Additionally, they gave me a cell in case something happened. They did call once when our daughter had trouble settling down after waking from a nap. I raced over there to find her asleep in the caregiver's arms in the rocking chair.

The food was good and there is a huge selection. The best meal we had was at Sopadilla's - the lobster was amazing! It is an adults-only restaurant that doesn't take reservations. It is very small, so get there early. We got there right when they opened and there was already a line! Cricketer's has great Salmon and fish and chips.

You do have to hunt for brand-name alcohol, though. Some bars would have Stoli, some would not. All usually had Tanqueray. All the rum I saw was rack.

Everything was immaculate - the grounds, our room, any common areas. All staff were pleasant. The board games came in handy during the rain. Snorkeling and kayaking were great, too.

Overall, this is an excellent resort we would definitely recommend to anyone with kids. I hope we can afford to go back one day!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank OUOSU
Write a ReviewReviews (10,786)

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Beaches Turks and Caicos was a pretty amazing experience...Never been to a place with such beautiful beaches...being on the island itself is like being on fantasy island...As far as the hotel goes, it was pretty nice. What I liked was the variety...something like 15 different restaurants a water park, bar and club on site...Overall very nice all inclusive.
Also the Kitty Kat Catamaran Cruise was pretty good....nice 3 hr. retreat around whole island..great entertainment with cool music and DJ..and not just your typical cruise..guest are allowed to go swimming/snokering in middle of cruise and then they take you to end of island where you see the most amazing aqua blue turqoise water and white sands on earth..simply amazing

Only real knocks or negatives I would put on the place in there is no room service and I found it hard to get around first couple of days because the place and figure out where to go because hotel signs aren't too visible.

Room Tip: I would recommend staying in the Caribbean or Italian Village because those 2 buildings are closest...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank IndependentJE
Reviewed October 30, 2012

When we arrived on 10/15, we were disappointed with the average hotel type room. We expected to have a stocked bar in the room which we didn't have. We were told that we would have a ground level room with a nice patio, which we didn't, have. We were put on the third floor and found ourselves walking up and down several time a day. After the first day my wife complained to the manager (Mr Jamie) who gave us a room upgrade to a suite. We then started enjoying our stay at Beaches. We renewed our wedding vows, and the ceremony was on the beach. The minister gave us a nice ceremony . We were given a bottle of champagne , a cake and a gift photo. They also gave us brake fast in bed and a wedding dinner at the restaurant of our choose. The food there is really great. The help and other guest are so very friendly. We had so great bartenders, Alexander, Jenny & Judy who were great at what they do. The beaches and the color of the ocean are the most beautiful beaches that I have seen anywhere. The trip ended up being one of our greatest ever.

Room Tip: Make sure you know what type of room you are promised, and get them to verify it with something in w...
1  Thank xlawman
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I just returned from Beaches Turks and Caicos and I have to say it is the best place I have ever been. The resort is beautiful, the people so friendly. There are three villages. The French, Caribbean and the Italian. The Italian is the newest and most beautiful with all conceirge suites. Right on the beach and hugh pool. The Caribbean section is the oldest section, on the beach, also with it's pool. The French section in set back from the beach, but is near the water park. The Italian also has butler suites and the Caribbean has some conceirge and butler also. The French does not have butler or conceirge. Alot of families like it though because it is near the water park. If you have kids this is the place to go. We didn't go with kids, but loved it just the same. There were many people there without kids. They have camp sesame street for the kids. They have activities for babies on up to teens. Different club houses for different ages. Tween and teen disco from 8-11 and then it is adult from 11-2. There is 16 restaurants at this resort. There are 2 adults only restaurants and also some adult only bars. The food was the best I have ever had at a resort. You could eat somewhere different everyday. From breakfast in the morning with huge buffets at Mario's and also Reflections (where they have a breakfast burrito station) to also ala cartes for breakfast. For lunch Pizza at Bella Napoli, or Gordon's also stromboli, calzones, paninis and more. Barefoot by the sea for delicious ala cartes (strip steak sandwich, ceasar salads, fish), Arizonia's for jerk chicken, pork, steak, fajita fixings, hot dogs hamburg, french frys, etc. And every restaurant always has food for the kids, chicken nuggets , frys, etc. For dinner there is Giuseppe's for fresh cooked in front of you Pasta, steak, etc, plus the buffett. Other ala cartes are La petit chateau and Sapodilla's (both adult only) , a japanese restaurant and also a sushi restaurant. Also by the water park is Bobby D's which is hot dogs, hamburgs, frys, ice cream, etc. Also has a swim up bar for the kids, (No alcohol here) All the other pools have swim up pool bars. Also for lunch and dinner is the Cricketeers pub or the french coffee house for coffee and desserts. Honest you will not starve here. Everything I ate was delicious. The house wine is Beringers with 2 reds and 2 whites and all the other drinks are top of the line. Crown royal, beer in cans. Good thing the beach is so beautiful so you can walk it off. It is 12 miles of beautiful unspoiled beaches, white sand and turquoise waters. This resort has so many water sports also. Most of the activites during the day are at the French or Caribbean pools. All day long you see sesame street characteres walking around and they have scheduled activites during the day with them. You can go on the beaches website to see more of this property. As for this island there is absolutely nothing else to do on it, but this resort is like it's own village. This island is very good for diving and snorkeling and also deep sea fishing. I can honestly say this is the best place I have been to.This is a real hidden gem that more canadians have to discover. There were lots and lots of Americans there, but not so many canadians.

Room Tip: The Italian village has the most beautiful rooms with all conceige service (with full bar in the roo...
3  Thank debbiefab
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was totally blown away by the thought that went into the planning of the BFF Getaway at Beaches, Turks and Caicos. Flight there was smooth and customs was amazingly fast. Our driver gave us some information of the island as we took the short 20 minute drive to the resort. Registration was great and to be greeted with a rum punch was awesome. The getaway was planned so that you could be as involved as you want or as relaxed as you want. Welcome party, great, catamaran cruise and snorkeling, UNBELIEVABLE (and anyone there, knows what I am talking about), pajama/bonfire party on the beach was great. Dancing in the sand is quite a workout. Farewell party was well put together and overall we had an amazing time. Both of my BFF's had never been to an all-inclusive so the idea of eating and drinking whenever you want and never spending a dime was very foreign to them but they quickly got the hang of it. The only disappointing part of the trip. Why do you have to leave the resort at 12:30 for a 3:30 flight? I would have much rather sit for 2 hours at the resort than 2 hours at the Turks and Caicos airport. Really???

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Just back from a weeks stay at Beaches. We arrived on Monday 22nd in the evening after a long flight from London connecting via Miami. Started raining on the transfer to the hotel and when we arrived in the French Village, we were just unloaded and left . Didn't get the rum welcome drink many mention here - No one to greet us or anything. Made our way into reception and checked in and were shown to our room. Room was a french village luxury walkout and had two double beds in it which was satisfactory for our needs. ( me and my husband and our son of 14) we had also requested a crib for our 8 month old baby which despite us being told would be ready before our arrival, wasn't - but this was quickly rectified and brought to our room. I'm ant phobic and was terrified of having them in the rooms after reading some of the reviews but we didn't have any issues at all. Rooms were kept clean. French village pool was better in our opinion. Wasn't as busy as the Italian pool. Grounds are being constantly maintained and were very clean despite the winds we experienced on our week there. Didn't think the drinks were watered down and we saw lots of premium brand bottles around unless they are decanting cheaper versions into Premium bottles . Think they could vary drink of the day a bit more though, it rotates from Big Bamboo to Maiti to a rum runner and then to another day in paradise and then repeats. I'm sure they could be more adventurous if they tried. Food was a bit hit and miss. Marios is VERY overrated and we were fed up of being put in the dungeon area both times we went just because we had a baby in a pushchair. You tended to get overlooked here so had to wait longer for drinks and service. Barefoot by the sea did the best breakfasts. Staff there were very friendly and loved my little girl. Arizonas is good for dinner but the lunch bbq is a bit patchy especially on Sundays. Seems all the "happy" staff are sent out to work that day so you don't get any smiles and the food was served undercooked. Schooners was good but we were a bit disappointed. Kimonos is fun. our chef told the most awful jokes whilst he was cooking but it was a really fun evening and the food was quite good. Majority of the staff were happy and greeted you when you passed them. You got the odd miserable one but perhaps they were having an off day. Would we go back? Maybe in a few years when our youngest is a bit older and able to appreciate camp sesame more. Overall we had a great week but think some aspects of the resort are a little expensive for what you actually get.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Catherine G
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I went to Beaches in October (actually left T&C the day before Hurricane Sandy came through!). I don't know how we will want to go anywhere else. I was nervous about going as a couple since it is a "family resort," but I have no complaints. We have children, but went on an adult trip this time. Never did I feel bombarded by kids or anything like that. The resort was at 80% capacity while we were there and I would have never guessed it. You will see some people complain on here about things, but seriously. If you have time to complain that the "tile in your bathroom shower was cracked" you have issues. I was not there to spend time inspecting our room. We stayed in the French Village. It was fabulous. Clean. Lovely room overlooking the pool area. Food was great. Lots of activities. We loved watching the kids shows at night and then the adult ones later. It was a blast. I cannot wait to return with my kids. The Camp Sesame looked amazing. The staff is super friendly. I cannot say that enough.
I saw before we left someone was saying that the room are more like the Marriott or some other "eh" hotel. I could not disagree with this more. We stayed in one of the lowest price rooms they offer and it was lovely. It is a TROPICAL resort. I don't want a stuffy Fifth Avenue Ritz Carlton feel in my room. Good grief. The resort was so clean. They were always cleaning and keeping up the lawns. It was just a great experience that I think everyone should try.

The only thing I will say is that if you are going as adults only, you at least have to not be bothered by kids :) We were never annoyed by them or bothered or splashed or whatever, but there are kids and families there. So if you are a person that just hates kids in general, do not go here :) But as parents on vacation without our own children, we had a fabulous grown-up getaway.

My hubby also wants me to add that they do not have Bud Light, hahaha. If you are a Bud Light person, your beer options are: Budweiser, MGD Gold, Miller Lite and the local Turks Head beer (which he really enjoyed).

Room Tip: If you do not have kids, I would say go for the French Village. The Caribbean village is older, quie...