“Multi- generational fun at Beaches”

Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa
Ranked #13 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Our family of 15- ages 18 mos. to 69- has been to the turks and Caicos Beaches 5 times. It has been great each time and for every person. The baby was cared for very attentively in the children's area and all the other children (6 ranging from 4 to 11) loved the camp activities. Despite a very full resort (spring break) the restaurants were welcoming and waits very minimal. It is astonishing how pleasant and helpful all the employees have been. We really look forward to seeing them each year. Sereina in the Soon Come Back office- reservation office- is extremely organized, competent and friendly. A joy to work with. Meckeisha in the photo shop has done wonderful pictures of our group for several years. She returned this time on her day off to reshoot some pictures because she didn't feel she had the shots she wanted. She is absolutely fabulous with us all but especially with the children. We also look forward to seeing Mercedes who is the beautiful, always serene hostess in the sushi bar of Kimponos restasurant. Her memory for returning guests is phenomenal. A new face this year was Jamie, a new manager. We were amazed to find him helping out in all different areas of the resort. A man of many abilities and always ready with a pleasant smile and helpful hand. The management of Beaches must be doing something extraordinary to find and keep such great employees.

1  Thank NCGranny

Reviewed March 28, 2012

I was there only for 1 night unfortunately, and wish it could have been longer! It is a dreamy place, with so many restaurants to choose from, nice big pool, and awesome beach. short airport transfer as well. They are doing some upgrade for the airport as there are getting busier and busier, but right now, very smal and simple. Duty free shopping is limited at the airport so make sure to get what you want on the island. This is not a place for romantic couples, or teachers on vacation that want to be away from children for a week! Price is quite high, and I will hope to see the price decreased in the next couple years when there's more all-inclusive to compete. if you can afford approx $3000 and + for 1 week per person from Toronto as a package, then for sure it's worth it to go. But for that price there is better places in the carribean...

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My husband, Sesame Street-crazy daughter (22 months), and I enjoyed a relaxing vacation at Beaches last month (February 14-20). We booked through Mike at Dream Makers Vacation Services based off the recommendations of other TripAdvisor reviewers. Their services are free and Mike was very responsive. We are a well-traveled family but this was our first time using a travel agent. I loved having someone I could contact personally (someone who has been to the resort several times) rather than having to call the resort to ask every time I had a question. We were traveling during my husband’s R&R from Afghanistan and were able to take advantage of their 10% military discount. Travel was uneventful, although the airport terminal is much too small on departure days as others have reported. Just expect it to be crowded and make sure to have stuff to enterain the kids with. Although car seats are not required in T&C, I was pleasantly surprised that the airport transfer shuttle drivers were more than accomodating when I wanted to quickly install my daughter's car seat.

We opted to stay in the Caribbean Village as our main priority was having two separate rooms so that our daughter could have a separate sleeping area. With Mike’s help we chose the Governor's Honeymoon One Bedroom Luxury Suite. We initially thought we would prefer to have a first floor room (this way you have the ability to leave the room through the bedroom without disturbing a napping baby) but when we arrived, we opted for a 3rd floor room (I think 817?) so that we could enjoy a view of the gorgeous ocean. We're very glad we opted for the third floor room as we loved sitting outside on the balcony in the evenings - just enjoying the view and beautiful weather (and a beer)! Both the main living room and bedroom were huge and we had a big bathtub and nice walk-in shower. We requested a crib and there was in fact a full-size, high-quality crib in the room when we arrived. It was more than enough room for the three of us and the mini-fridge is very convenient for keeping kids' drinks/snacks. Our housekeeper Feanny did an awesome job and always arranged our daughter's stuffed Sesame Street characters in a cute way in her crib. Many other readers complained about how “dated” the Caribbean Village was. While it was not as new as the French or Italian villages, I found it to be much more charming and “authentic” Caribbean style. The Caribbean Village should be more than adequate for the majority of travelers and I just can’t imagine how the 2-3x more expensive Italian Village is worth it unless you just can’t live without marble finishes in your hotel room. When I was initially researching the resort I read one reviewer who compared the Caribbean Village to a Motel 6. Anyone who compares the Caribbean Village to a Motel 6 has obviously never been to a Motel 6....or to Iraq or Afghanistan. Seriously people, let's just be thankful that we can afford to take this kind of luxurious vacation with our families.

One of the perks of our particular room category was the “concierge service.” Although this is not something I would pay extra for, it was a nice service to have. It included a more relaxing check-in and the ability to call down any time for very responsive, friendly help. When we were getting ready for our family photos (book Fredricka for her great Elmo impression) and I realized that our iron didn’t work, I called down to the concierge and they had a new iron to the room within 5 minutes. Enoch was our favorite concierge and he always greeted us by name whenever we saw him. At every encounter he seemed genuinely committed to providing outstanding customer service and was a huge help in sorting out the mix-up with the online Elmo tuck-in booking I made prior to arrival.

We of course did all of the Sesame Street activities, to include the Character Breakfast, Elmo Tuck-In, Tuesday night parade, Friday Night Beach Party, etc. Our daughter loved every minute of it. We regularly encountered the characters walking around the property and it was always easy to get a picture. We took advantage of Camp Sesame almost every day so that my husband and I could enjoy some time together. I was very impressed with the staff and the fact that it seemed like there were often more staff present than children. They even have a little toddler pool and beach area behind Camp Sesame where they take the kiddos every morning. They also take the kids to lunch or dinner, have several scheduled activities involving the Sesame Street characters, and even a nicely equipped nap/quiet room where the kids can nap after lunch. Camp Sesame is open from 9 am-4 pm and then 5-10 pm most days if I remember correctly. It was a very structured environment and they provide a cell phone too so that you can be reached if needed. We usually used it for a couple of hours in the late morning and then a couple in the evening as our daughter absolutely loved it and never cried when we dropped her off. The staff was great - I came by one afternoon to pick her up but found that she was still napping. They insisted that I go relax and offered to call as soon as she woke up. I wasn’t sure if they would remember, but sure enough, they called as soon as she woke up. I am a social worker with experience in the child abuse/neglect field and had no qualms about leaving my daughter at Camp Sesame. My husband and daughter and I actually attended some of the Camp Sesame activities as a family for the first two days we were there so that we could check out the quality of care and see how our daughter would respond to the staff. There is a mix of older, more experienced child care providers and younger, more energetic types, but I think it was a nice balance. My husband and I were amazed as there were several times we found ourselves walking around the resort and would hear someone shout out, “Hi Sasha’s Mom and Dad!” ….or random staff members would come up and greet our daughter by name. There were too many worthy Camp Sesame providers to mention by name, so I’ll just say “thanks!” to all of the lovely ladies who took such great care of Sasha last month.

For anyone who has realistic expectations, they will be more than pleased with the food and drink selection. Our favorite places to eat were Mario’s (great lunch buffet), Cricketer’s (sports bar ambiance plus you can bring the food in from Mario’s if you aren’t in the mood for British fare) and Sapodilla’s (reminded me of whenever Jerry Seinfeld went to visit his parents in Florida, but best food at the resort). We liked the Bella Napoli Pizzeria and Arizona’s for an easy but tasty lunch. Breakfast was good everywhere so we often went to Reflections since it was the closest. There are bars everywhere and the bartenders were great. I am mostly a beer drinker but did broaden my horizons with some mixed drinks recommended by the very enthusiastic bartenders.

All of the pools were fabulous and our daughter loved the toddler-sized water park (pirate ship with slides, fountains, etc). As everyone else has noted, the beach is gorgeous and I’ve never seen such clear, blue water. We never had a problem finding a chair in a shady spot, but then again, we were willing to walk down to the quieter end of the Caribbean Village beachfront.

My best advice is to stop making yourself crazy reading TripAdvisor reviews; just go ahead and book your trip. While there seem to be a lot of Negative Nancys out there who just want to nitpick every little detail (I even read one from a woman complaining about spider webs on outdoor bushes), the bottom line is that this is the perfect resort if you are a family looking for a relaxing vacation with above average food and drinks, outstanding service, on-site child care, and plenty of activities to keep everyone entertained.

Room Tip: Save your money and stay in the Caribbean Village - it's more than adequate and you still have a...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
20  Thank LindsayAnn25
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I'm mid-way through my 3rd stay at Beaches Turks & Caicos. I made the supremely poor decision to book with Beaches directly by telephone. The operator made a big fuss about names being correct, so I very carefully spelled out our names. I received an e-mail receipt, but no travel information. I was able to track down a record locator # by calling the airlines.
When I got to the airport, the ticket agent told me they had spelled my name wrong. He said he'd pretend it hadn't happened, but cautioned I'd have trouble getting back into the US.
I got here to Beaches, tried to get the desk to help me.... they refused for several days..."It's no problem. You call the airline." The airline insisted the booking had to be fixed by Beaches.
Upon further research, I found that Beaches had made the return airplane reservations under various spellings of the same name. Meaning, no one in our party had a passport matching the names or spelling on the reservation. So I went back to the desk and finally found one helpful person. She spent 1.5 hours on the phone with corporate. They still refused to do anything. I could hear the representative on the phone saying it was "my fault" and I had to take care of it with the airline. That's helpful.
Will I get home? Yes, eventually. Will it be inconvenient? Will I likely miss a flight and incur an overnight at an airport? Probably.
At $12,000.... when you book directly with the resort in question and they make your travel arrangements, can you expect them to screw you once they get your money? ABSOLUTELY. If you leave yourself with no middle man between you and Beaches, they will take you from behind like a barnyard animal. I'm totally bummed out, but this is the truth. The people on staff who would like to help clearly have no power to do so.

16  Thank travelswithboy
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Staying in Caribbean village right now. Have to send review from lobby because wifi is intermittent in room(and you pay for it). Howard Johnson has better rooms. Bathtub is a death trap and luckily the balcony door is a workout to open and close because the gym is tiny and crowded. First night we ate at a buffet. Thirty minute wait for a table even though half of the tables were empty. Just tried to get pizza for lunch and it was over an hour wait. Sushi was good last night and no wait but order twice as much as you think you want to eat to make up for the size of the rolls. In summation, stay away!

Room Tip: Stay away from Caribbean village
13  Thank stephenj577
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Our family of 3 recently stayed at Beaches and very much enjoyed the property and our one week stay. The property is big enough to give you options of where to eat and hang out, and not so big that you can't walk everywhere with ease. The beach is beautiful with good amenities such as complimentary snorkling gear, kayaks, and HobieCats. Good excursions to take right off the Beaches dock. Staff is very friendly and polite in all the restaurants and facilities. They really get it. Food quality is quite good with much variety. The Japanese restaurant was a must do for both the food and the fun atmosphere. Our only issues were the sand flies (aka "no seeums") on the island during our stay (not Beaches fault) and the brutal logistics getting out of the airport (expect a 2 hour line-up to get through security).

Reviewed March 27, 2012

This was one of the best all inclusive experiences for our family. We joked among us that it was like being a on a cruise ship but with a wonderful beach. The staff and security was great. We stayed in a new part which was much better than some of the older parts so I'd choose carefully when deciding on a room. I also suggest trying each restaurant if possible because each one was great and never had a bad meal. The only downside is that it was expensive but a perfect example of you get what you pay for because it truly was a good value for the high price.

Room Tip: The Italian Village was a great location as it is newer than the rest of the property.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family