“EXCELLENT DIVE INSTRUCTION BY Gustavo Simons-Martinez, PADI course director”

Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa
Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Lynbrook, New York
“EXCELLENT DIVE INSTRUCTION BY Gustavo Simons-Martinez, PADI course director”
Reviewed November 26, 2011

I am writing to make you aware of the exceptional instruction that I received from Gustavo Simons-Martinez, your PADI course director.

I was trained by Gustavo from Saturday 11/5/11 thru Tuesday 11/8/11 for my Advanced Open Water Diver certification. From the moment my training began, Gustavo was meticulously detailed and informative regarding the concepts and proper skills required for Scuba Diving. He was extremely patient and answered all of my questions (Note: I asked many more questions than the typical scuba student since I am a casualty claims adjuster/investigator!) He even injected humor, here and there, to keep the experience fun!

I have been a business person for close to 40 years now and have seen all levels of employee competence in that time. Believe me, Gustavo is an outstanding employee and a tremendous asset to the Beaches dive program! I have visited Beaches Turks & Caicos 6-7 times over the last 15 years and have received instruction from your other dive shop employees in the past. I assure you, there is no comparison between the detailed level of instruction I just received from Gustavo and the previous instruction provided by your other dive staff. Gustavo patiently explained every Scuba concept and its application, just as a college professor would. The prior instruction that I received was superficial by comparison!

To sum up, because of Gustavo's excellent course instruction, I intend to continue to advance my scuba education by taking additional courses at Beaches in the future. Gustavo has gotten me even more excited about the sport of scuba diving, and I now see many more advanced courses and certifications in my future. Gustavo is a gem of an instructor and I am very grateful to have had him as my teacher!!

Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Paulette F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,801)
  • Indonesian first
Huntington, New York
Reviewed November 26, 2011

We were 13 people - 6 adults & 7 kids ages 7-13. We thought this would be the perfect family vaca- boy was i wrong. From the moment we checked in it was a nightmare. I'm still scratching the 37 bugs bites all over my legs! Here's the list in the order in which they happened...
booked adjoining rooms- ended up on seperate floors
room not available upon check in- bags left outside until after 4pm
2 draws and one luggage rack for 4 people
tub didn't drain & had luke warm water for the whole trip
safe broken- had to wait in the room 1.5 hrs to get it fixed
no beach/pool chairs available unless you get there at 7 am every morning
couldn't get donner reservation anytime before 9pm & couldn't make them b4 we left
couldn't get paid by the slot machine lady- she never showed up
wasn't allowed to order crab legs b/c you have to order them a day in advance but was never told to do so
italian village smelled like a sewer the entire trip
woke at 6am for pool chairs & was thrown out by 12 for a provate function- couldn't sit anywhere for the rest of the day & was never told about the closing
asked for decaf coffee and clean glasses- never got them
watered down liquor- so wayered down its a joke!!! dont let them tell you anything different
no small kids life vests for snorkling - ever
a handful of pool floats which you can never use b/c people hoard them
unfriendly workers & no where near enough of them- saw 1 beach waiter 2x the entire trip
keys demagnitized daily
stolen dvd player, flip flops, skirt & bathing suit
after discussing problems daily with management finally got a call back 12 hours before I was leaving asking if there was anything they can do to make my trip better? really- 12 hours before I was scheduled to leave- now you want to help??

Room Tip: either go for a 3 bedroom villa w/ a butler or prepare to have a horrible experience cant see the o...
12 Thank karen v
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Overall the resort was excellent and I think people would be hard pressed to find a better option for families. This was our first vacation with our daughter of 14 months and the resort is very well designed to accommodate families with children of all ages.

Rooms: Very nice in the French Village where we stayed. The bathroom is a little small but having two sinks, one in the bathroom and one right outside the bathroom was nice.

Food: Overall the food was average to very good depending on where you ate. The nicest part was that there are kid options and nearly every restaurant and you can also get take out at various locations if you want to give you kids something quick. The variety of restaurants were great and provided something for anyone. The biggest negative was the service. Most nights the service was average but a few places were above average and others below average. Additionally the service can be slow so if you have a restless child plan accordingly. The food quality was good to very good but portion size was on the smaller size.

Resort: The resort was kept in exceptional condition, which was quite remarkable considering the vast number of children at the resort. The number of pools, size of the beach, water park, and size of the beach kept the place from feeling over crowded or busy even though the rooms were completely sold out.

Activities: Tons of activities for everyone of all ages. The amount of scuba diving, snorkeling, fishing, etc... could keep anyone busy for a long time. The shopping in town was nice but taxis can be expensive $20 for three adults and one child to go 10 min. The only thing missing was some adult geared entertainment on the resort (e.g. a casino). There is a casino called Casablanca off site but don't get too excited it is small and not exactly the Wynn.

Recommended for families and large groups, if you are a couple this is not where I would choose to go.

Room Tip: There are three villages and i found that the French village provides the best value. The rooms are...
Fairfield, New Jersey
Reviewed November 25, 2011

I just came back from Beaches TCI last week. I stayed at Italian Village in a butler suite and it was amazing. I have to thank both butlers Moses and Aide who made my family stay at the resort the best vacation we took together! Aide even surprised us on last night with his fire dance and it was amazing! Thanks Aide. My family misses both Moses and Aide so much I have to work extra hard to be able to go back there. My daughter and nephew loved the beach, pools and water park. Food was amazing and drinks were great. I especially enjoyed dinners at Schooners and lunch at Arizona. I miss their jerk pork and skirt steak for lunch. Kimono was very entertainning but it was missing authentic Japanese taste, then again who cares, you are in TCI. Lol. I also have mention that their entertainment team was amazing every night. We headed to the stage every night after dinner and had a great time with different themes. A truly amazing place. All the staffs were friendly and helpful. I miss the place so much I can't wait until I can go back there in the future! Thanks Beaches for making my vacation very special!!!

1 Thank EvilPossum
California
Reviewed November 25, 2011

This is a great family destination. Lots to do on the resort. Food was very Americanized but overall good. Diving was good and the dive masters excellent. The dive operation a little disorganized as we had a big diving group going. The service was excellent from the captain, dive masters, bar staff etc.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank TuxMum
St Clair Shores, MI
Reviewed November 25, 2011

We just got home from our vacation at Beaches Turks & Caicos and we had a great time. If you are an avid Trip Advisor Reader, please read this all as I want to qualify my 5 rating.

First, I gave this a 5 as a family vacation but if you don't have kids and you want to go diving would suggest going to a dive resort. I booked our trip back in February for our vacation Nov 16th-23rd. I chose Beaches because our 10 year old was getting dive certified and I wanted to take him to the Caribbean, however we also have a 6 year old and I wanted him to have fun too.

One last note .... on your departure day, they will likely have you put bags out at 8am ... but you don't have to be out of the room until 11am (or you can arrange later as well.) I kept one bag with us so we could swim, play, then get cleaned up... then brought that bag to the departure lounge. Worked out well!

We arrived on a Wednesday and the resort was fairly quiet...would say about 60% full. We had a walk-out Piazza pool front room with the separate kids room ... PERFECT! It was very close to the beach, dive shop, pool and pool bar! The kids loved having their own bedroom as well. Housekeeping seemed to come by 2 to 3 times per day, our room was always clean and had fresh towels! The bar and fridge was kept stocked as well! Highly recommend the walkout ... very nice!

Moving on.... As soon as our bags got to our room we headed to the dive shop and got signed up. Since we had just logged dives 3 months ago, we only had to do a verbal orientation; otherwise you must do a pool check-out (standard procedure.) More diving info later. After that.. we explored a little, but this place is huge! All in all we never got to all the restaurants or areas, but we didn't need to... we were just fine :-)

Dining... first evening we went to Barefoot on the Beach (yes you can go barefoot!) ... it was excellent and the kids liked it too. They serve breakfast and lunch but never went. For breakfast we hit Marios everyday as it opened early and we had diving at 8:15am. It is a huge buffet with anything you would ever want... cook to order eggs as well. We rarely had lunch as we were diving. They do have "carry-out" pizzas and pretty much anything you would want for lunch at many of the restaurants. Other dinners .... Marios was good... italian and everyone enjoyed their meal, Arizona's (Southwest) was good as well. Kimonos (Japanese steakhouse) ...reservations required... was good... it is a tasting meal but you get more than enough and the kids loved it! Schooners we called ahead for crab legs ... it was okay but it was so busy (this was Monday night after all the Saturday arrivals) ... then of course we had 2 dinners at Bobby Dee's (the diner in Pirate Island) ... burgers, fries, shakes ... kids loved this of course! Attire for 90% of the restaurants is resort casual... this was very nice... especially having 2 boys!

Diving ... first, let me qualify this... my husband and I go on 1 to 2 adult only dive vacations every year. We are avid divers ... dive snobs if you will. We don't like busy resorts and really don't like busy dive boats. So....if you dive, be prepared for very full (no packed) dive boats. We had our 10 year old with us so we were depth limited. The dives themselves were nice.... saw lots of sharks, tons of fish, rays, etc. Our son loved it. One day our son chose to go to kids kamp. We went on a deeper dive at French Caye ... beautiful! Again though.... full (cattle call as well refer to them) boat. The dive masters are friendly and very patient. There are a lot of beginner, training and resort divers... so if you are advanced... bring your patience! One last note, due to high tides and winds, we were diving off the other side of the island (as opposed to right out front of the resort.) Therefore you day will be like this if you get the same experience. Check-in at shop 8:15am ... get on a van (10 min ride across island) ... wait for boat to be ready, load boat .... takes forever with all the beginners ... then finally off you go. 45-50 min boat rides to dive sites. You do 2 dives (with boat surface interval in between of course) ... you get back to the dock about 1:30-1:45pm ... wait for van, etc. Arrive back at resourt 2:30-2:45pm. Long, long day!

Last, as I mentioned earlier we arrived on Wed Nov 16th.... resort was about 60% full ... very nice. Saturday afternoon.... tons of arrivals... resort was now very full! Sunday morning while having my coffee on patio at 6am ... people had already been out to put towels on chairs! Too funny. No biggy for us as we are not pool chair loungers, but if you are be aware!

Kids Kamp ... our 6 year old went 5 days to kids kamp.... he really liked it. Now it really depends on your child if they will like it too. They do not swim all day... they have different activities everyday. I would suggest you send them on the day they do the boat ride, our son loved that! They do make sure they have sunscreen, snacks, lunch, etc... they are taken care of. No worries. Go enjoy yourself and know they are likely having fun too!

All in all it was a fun vacation. Kids loved it and it is so nice to have everything included and not have to carry cash around. I would only return if we went during a "slow time".... our last 4 days were a bit busier as they were the days leading up to Thanksgiving. If we go again, I would go not around a holiday or normal break for kids.

One last note ... on departure day you will likely have to put your bags outside your door at 8am. No worries...keep one bag with you. Then you can play, goof, and get cleaned up before you leave. You can stay in the room until 11am (or later if you arrange it.)

Room Tip: Italian Village .... pool walk-out with kids separate room... so worth it... don't bother with o...
1 Thank scubakaratemom
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 23, 2011

It was so fun and it's just not for adults! I didn't want to leave! I should have stayed longer!I loved the food!

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny