“DO NOT BOOK CARIBBEAN VILLAGE”

Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa
Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
philadelphia, pa
“DO NOT BOOK CARIBBEAN VILLAGE”
Reviewed April 15, 2011

turks & caicos, what can i say? its voted the number one beach destination by conde nast. it's immaculate and has pristine beaches/views/weather. we went to this particular hotel for a friends wedding.

DAY 1: beaches turks & caicos was a nightmare of a trip. we arrived after check in time, at 5pm and the room was not ready. after traveling for the entire day, the room was not ready and we had booked a "honeymoon" suite so we could relax...

we finally get to the room, the room is average, at best. we are in the carribean west wing and upon arrival, we had NO WATER. no basic running water. the sink, the toilet, shower, etc. nothing. all we wanted was a shower upon arriving in the 90 degree weather, we couldn't even wash our hands! thank god i packed hand sanitizer. upon calling the front desk, we were told "sorry, a main pipe busted... nothing we can do".

we figure just change our clothes and just go eat dinner, see all of our friends and have some cocktails. 11pm arrives, we come back to the room. STILL NO WATER. so we decide the only thing to do is to go to the pool or jacuzzi and take a dip. yes, that is my $4000 shower on the first night... dirty pool water.

DAY 2: 8am. WATER! yay! but, toilet clogs immediately. floods the entire bathroom floor and it starts to seep out into the foyer of the room. we call down and tell them. we leave to go get breakfast and lay out, my boyfriend and the boys decide to go snorkeling. the girls laid out in the sun and worked on tans. there are LOTS of children. beware if you are trying to just have some relaxation. kids kept kicking up sand everywhere and another kid took his water gun and started squirting at us (five 27 year old women). annoying...

evening comes, rehersal dinner.... we come back to the room at 4pm. IT IS NOT CLEANED. we had to call again and ask for the room to be cleaned again. we sit out on our balcony for an hour and a half while the room is cleaned. toiled is still clogged and we really did not do anything to cause the clog. they are having sewage/plumbing problems in our entire wing and called the situation "unfortunate". we get ready and go to dinner, visit the on site club and go to bed.

DAY 3: toilet clogs again. floods again, this time worse, starts to seep into the main areas. today is the day of the wedding and we are both in the wedding party. how fun for us? our room was the designated room for the grooms men and groom to get ready in too. we had not screamed or given the front desk a bad attitude the entire time still. we tell them, the room has to be cleaned and the water cleaned because the bridal party is getting ready in our room! they come, clean and i leave my boyfriend to go to the Italian village to get ready with the bride.

wedding is amazing, fantastic, i can not even go into detail of how romantic it was. super HOT though! the only thing was, there was a bus that was going to drive the italian village over to the carribean village but the van driver or wedding coordinator had a miscommunication and the van ended up going to ANOTHER RESORT! lol so the wedding was about 45 min delayed and there was a lot of sweaty guests/bridal party and people!

dinner was fabulous, held in the french village over the pool. dj is terrible, FYI anyone booking weddings, he kept trying to play reggae and reggaeton. which personally, is my favorite, but not at a wedding and ALL night long! with elder/older parents/grand parents and europeans!!!!!!!! lol. so we had to manually go through our ipods and switch each song after song so there was no mixing and it was kind of corny because the the song would just switch because people would scream what song to play next. really disorganized.

this is the icing on the cake. we come back from the wedding around 10pm, about to go to the club to keep the celebration going-----we wanted to change out of our suits, crazy dresses, heels etc. wanted to just throw some shorts and tanks/flipflops. NO ELECTRICITY. surprise! NOTHING. not even emergency lights! phones didnt even work, so of course, i used my camera/ flash to view the entire room so we could change and go scream at the front desk. my boyfriend is very laid back and i am usually the one that flies off the handle. he raised hell at the front desk, 4000 dollars for 4 days of nothing but annoyance, headache and not even basic utilities?!?!?!

i mean, these are BASIC utilities that every hotel should offer! sewage, electricity and water!??!?!?! we are fed up, annoyed and disappointed. we speak to managers, they have every complaint recorded and acknowledged our bad "fortune". they say the power in the west carribean village blew and there was nothing they could do about it. again.... sigh. we leave and go to the club with our friends--good time, corny music, as long as you are with your friends and keep the drinks flowing, you will have fun here.

the burger/hot dog joint across from the nightclub is DELISH btw. we ate there very late too, if i recall correctly, about midnight or so?

DAY 4: 8am, director of management or something calls, apologizes profusely and offers a credit of the total amount of the entire trip back to us at all beaches/sandals property. we are pleased, but honestly, we did not need/want it to come to that! we just wanted to have a good time at our best friends wedding. however, we can't complain because we were happy with this and how they rectified the situation. it was very generous and nice of them.

we leave to go home---with most of the wedding guests. here are the +++++:

FOOD: by far--THEE best food i have EVER had in my life at an all inclusive and we have stayed at 7 different chains and all inclusive around the entire carribean. the food is amazing in general, the pizza place in the beach area is some of the best pizza i have had and i am from the northeast of the US... we have good pizza up north! but man that pizza is to die for. the itialin restaurant in the italian village is very good, not consistent in the sense that there were a few items i had that were "okay". but 95% of that food is delish! i think because it's a buffet, i mean what do you expect? but for a buffet it is tremendous! the little kids buger/hot dog place is sooooooooooo good. try it even if you don't have kids, it looks like a little kids joint (which it is) but you must try it. and the japanese restaurant is SO good.

food: outstanding. rooms: italian village is spectacular. french village rooms are amazing as well. if you stay in the carribean village--beware. because only a few of us stayed in the carribean village, and we were the only ones in the West wing... the others were in the east wing and i swear, because those facilities and buildings are older, you will have a bad stay.

pay the extra money and go italian village or french, you wont regret it. if it wasnt for the horrible room problems i would have given this 5 stars. staff is okay, we've had friendlier staff at other resorts (jamaica)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
18 Thank lovetraveling87

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,858)
  • Indonesian first
Eagle
Reviewed April 15, 2011

Absolutely what I wanted to do on my vacation with my family. I love the fully inclusive meals and drinks for the entire family. The Caribbean village with the butler service makes a visit to the Beaches, Turks and Caicos completely free of stress. Personalized attention, help with meal planning, reserved seats at the pool and beach, taking care of our activities schedule, the best. The location on the island is superb. Climate and weather superior to anything I have experienced elsewhere in the Caribbean. The resort was immaculate, from the landscaping to the guest rooms which is not easy since the resort was at capacity. It also did not feel like it was full since there seems to be plenty of restaurants, pools, chairs, places to be that it never felt crowded, I hate crowds. Worth every penny!
Kids 12, 16 and 18 loved it to and were NOT bored, major accomplishment here.

Room Tip: Go for the Caribbean village, single level houses.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Laurens, South Carolina
Reviewed April 14, 2011

Our family of five just returned from Beaches Turks and Caicos and we loved it. We traveled the first week of April for our spring break. My wife and I traveled with our three children ( 15, 13 & 11 ). We all agreed that this was the best vacation we have ever taken. I read many of the reviews on this site and we did not see or experience any of the negative points that we read before our trip. I will try to put this review into categories.
Location: The location was amazing and absolutely beautiful. Crystal clear blue/green water, perfect sand. The beach is protected by a reef so the water is very calm. The grounds are were lush, well maintained and clean. We never left the resort so I cannot speak to rest of the island.
Activities: We enjoyed scuba diving, kayaking, snorkeling, waterpark ( especially the wave simulator), xbox, liquid lounge and ping pong. There was never a long wait and everything was well supervised.
Food: I would give the food 4 out of 5 stars. Our favorite restaurants were Kimonos, Schooners and Barefoot. Our least favorite was Arizona's for dinner. The best place for lunch is the outside open grill items at Arizona's. The food was good, but if you are looking for gourmet food, go to Europe.
Service: We had a Butler room and Ceomar & Adam took care of everything we could possiblely need. The rest of the staff was always willing to help with any request. Everyone was friendly. I can understand some of the comments about island time. This is a slow, laid back type of service, but again every request was met.
Safety: We felt extremely safe and freely let our kids move around the resort on their own. Occasionally, someone on the beach would solicit us about parasailing and when we said no they would leave us alone.
Rooms: We had a beach front room in the Caribbean Village. It was clean and everything worked well. The location was perfect for us. This area seemed more quiet than the Italian Village, but it is older. I believe we were given this great room because of the request from our travel agent. We used Mike at Dream Makers Vacation Services and we will use them again in the future.
Others: This is definitely a resort for families. The facilities and staff are geared toward meeting the needs of families. The only negative part of our trip was the the airport on our return flight. Out flight was delayed 2 hours which could not be helped, but the departure lounge was hot and overcrowded. Half the people were sitting on the floor and it was impossible to hear any announcements. There are no communication boards only announcements that you could not understand. But there is no way this two hours could ever dampen the excellent time we had at Beaches Turks & Caicos.

Like our title says, " Loved it and can't wait to go back"

Todd

Room Tip: Use Dream Makers Vacation Services
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank TCSC1966
Oakville and Toronto, ON
Reviewed April 14, 2011

I just got back from a trip to T&C with a friend of mine (2 single girls in our mid 30's)...first off let me say that Turks and Caicos has the most stunning beaches and Beaches resort is full of luxury. We stayed in the Italian village (the newest of three villages).

THE GOOD

Beaches - clear crystal waters with white sand beaches and lifeguards

Pools - several pools in the different villages with Cabanas outside available for reservation - as well as swim-up bar and fast service at the bar

Water Park - great water park with surf simulator, lazy river and slides for all ages

Food - Amazing restaraunts - very good food considering it's an all-inclusive resort - lots of variety including a japanese restaraunt, sushi bar, french restaraunt and many others.

Service - Butler and concierge service was excellent - English is the main language - very helpful and trust worthy employees. Very clean resort.

Safe - this was the safest resort I've ever been to, we would leave our bags with our cameras, sunglasses etc. all on the beach chairs while we went for lunch or into the ocean...at no point was I fearful of theft or fearful of my safety.

Room - very spacious - huge room - can sleep 5 people (I king bed and bunk beds with pull-out) - suite has two separate ares (one for kids one for parents) - bathroom is large with separate shower, soaker tub and toilet - so more than one person can be in the washroom at once with privacy. Large flat screen TV - English chanels, mini bar with drinks included, free water etc.

The Spa - I had a great spa experience with a hot-stone massage - it was very relaxing.

Wine - a good selection of wine considering it's an all-inclusive.

Gym - good tread-mills and yoga classes.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD

Family Resort - tons of kids and parents - lots of litte ones running around - at all the pools and on the beaches....so if you're not going with your kids...you may not like it because it's not really "peacefull" - unless you like the sounds of kids running around - don't get me wrong..I do love kids...and they're all so cute...but it was a bit much for us single people. To add to this - there are Sesame Street characters running around - posing for pics...the restaraunts have smaller chairs to accomodate kids, the night-time shows are catered to kids...it's all about hte kids! But on the good side, it's a very safe resort for kids of all ages.

Sand-Flies - Watch out for these, everyone had mosquito-like bites all around their legs - I had tons of these bites all over - apparently they come out at night and just feast on us tourists! These bites are worse than a mosquito-bite and more itchy...so I'd suggest bringing some bug spray, or at least some "after-bite. I came home and googled this - and it's very common for the area - so consider yourself warned!

Price - everything is expensive, which if you're considering going to T&C you already know that. USD only.

Nightlife - it's ok...but nothing special at this resort. I'd recommend going off-site for some night-life if you're looking for a swanky spot go to the Ganesvoort Hotel Bar...if you're staying on the resort...Club Liquid plays top 40 and is a nice looking club (all white) with a patio. There's also a Karaoke bar at the Caribean village called Turtles (more pub-style like).

Beach - the beach is stunning - but it's not very wide outside of the Beaches resort - you have to walk to either side to get the wider parts of the beach.

Hope this helps. You will love the islands - stunning beaches - enjoy.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank TinaRR
Ambler, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 14, 2011

This was our second time at Beaches. Last year we were at Negril. We stayed in the italian village. It was brand new, centrally located and spacious. The food is good, not great, but much better than Negril. Don't miss Sapodillas lobster, or the sushi bar.

Room Tip: got a free upgrade from jen toren at tripguytravel
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Roni J
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed April 13, 2011

My family (me, wife, 9yr old son, 6yr old daughter) splurged to celebrate my 50th and my son's 9th birthdays on our first luxury all-inclusive family trip. I had been to Turks and Caicos before and expected great SCUBA but never been to a Beaches and was apprehensive in particular about crowding and by other TripAdvisor reviews complaining specifically of of small size of room and indifferent service quality because we chose to come on the kids' Spring Break which could exacerbate both problems. Bottom line- the vacation exceeded our collective high expectations and now I am stuck figuring out how to afford coming back in future years!

ROOM/LOCATION/FACILITY I rarely felt crowded and because we chose to stay at the French Village away from the main traffic to and from the beach, found many quiet refuges including our room which was plenty large for a family with two younger kids- for you fellow business travelers, as as point of reference- it felt the size of a Courtyard by Marriott standard room with two beds- big enough not to trip over two young kids but probably not big enough for a family with larger teens. I did not miss the much discussed Butler service because we did not find dinner reservations necessary on the whole and we moved around so much during the day that having reserved spots on the beach and poolside would have felt constraining versus helpful. Save your money. The facility is large but we enjoyed walking off the food and having the variety of venues for a week's stay.

SCUBA I have come every ten years to dive on Turks and Caicos and never have been disappointed. This trip in addition to seeing seven reef and nurse sharks and one hammerhead I was almost kissed by a diving turtle and was in the water when a pod of wild dolphins including two babies with moms swam towards and then ten feet below us. What a rush!!!

KIDS Our kids loved the swim up bar and the cotton candy station and the water park and the XBox 360 garage. They are spoiled so they protested being dropped off for even a half day camp session but once in, my son made a friend almost immediately (a boy who had gone happily to camp every day, mind you!). Our kids want to come back, of course. They rated it ahead of Disney and on par with San Diego/Coronado Island in the pantheon of family vacations. My wife was very happy that she had the option of a safe day camp even if she did not take advantage of it nearly enough in my humble opinion.

STAFF Special kudos to Claudia and Tank of the SCUBA staff for safety, competence and the shark and dolphin experiences and to Dan the Food and Beverage Manager for arranging some special birthday attention for my son Lucas at the Barefoot on the Beach restaurant. On the whole I was impressed with the service quality which exceeds my personal experience and others' anecdotal experience of service in the Carribean region. I guess that they pay the staff and train them better than most operations. The only negative experience I had was with the Concierge Office at the main building (Carribean?) whom I went to ask for options on a birthday celebration and was summarily referred/dismissed to the sales office who in turn tried to sell me either a cake or a formal party. All I wanted was the little bit of pasty with cake and some wait staff attention that Dan was able to manage directly with the restaurant but I did not have the chance to explain that at the Concierge office since there was clearly a sales agenda versus what you would expect from a normal hotel concierge.

TRAVEL AGENCY Because I did not know anything about Beaches I worked with Michael McHugh of Dream Makers Vacation Services to book our hotel (I used Delta miles for air so I booked that myself). I found Michael to be very responsive by email though we never spoke on the phone and extremely knowledgeable. Everything worked as he described/predicted. He successfully got us a Kimono restaurant reservation as promised but he was not able to secure a room upgrade (which he did not promise but did request- I suspect that his clout got out-trumped by the full capacity of Spring Break).

RESTAURANTS/FOOD/DRINKS Plenty of food and drink at all hours. Quality high by Grand Rapids MI standards and mediocre to poor by San Francisco/New York standards. Brand name alcohol and house wines are included but bottles of wine are extra. Fortunately I did not see abuses of the free alcohol policy among the fellow guests in the form of obvious drunken and rowdy behavior. Reservations were not needed when our family chose to eat (generally got there before 7) but by 7:30 I could see lines in the popular places like the sushi bar.

Room Tip: French Village quieter. Don't need Butler.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank kevinhan
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed April 13, 2011

I loved this place...In my opinion this was havean on earth. The room I stayed in was clean, fully stocked with drinks and snacks throughout my stay. I personally use alot of towels and usually have to request more from the hotel desk but not here. they supplied enough towels for me and my family without having to beg housekeeping everyday.The overlall service was exceptional but 1 story still remains as EXTRAORDINARY. My husband who is not a typically smoker wanted a cigarette and the gift shop was all out. at 5am in the morning they sent an employee 5 miles out into town and brought him back a pack and refused to let him pay for them......... NOW THAT IS SERVICE

Room Tip: My room was located directly across the beach.
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple